AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-08-26, 22:22   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 719 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

So after all that confusion from last week, we have some "proper" spoilers this time around! And once again, credit goes to Redon from AP forums for this summary:

Quote:
- Don Chinjao recovers from Luffy's attack and talks to Luffy. He despises Luffy very much.
- ​​​​Don Chinjao´s flashback begins. His head was pointed originally. He looks like Patrick Star from SpongeBob SquarePants.
- His family had a frozen island with a huge treasure under the ice. The ice can opened only by with his headbutts.
- Garp and Don Chinjao fought. Garp´s punch deformed Don Chinjao head, because of this he couldn´t smash the ice and get the rest of treasure.
- Back to the Present. Luffy attacks Don Chinjao with Elephant Gun. Don Chinjao does the same with his head​.
- Luffy´s attack crashes with Don Chinjao head that recovers his original form (the pointed form).
​- Luffy knocks down Don Chinjao and wins C block. Burguess uncovers Lucy´s identity.​

​End of chapter.​

LOL, so THAT'S the reason Chinjao hated Garp!? While I never dismissed it being a silly reason, I was leaning towards Garp having stolen his daughter or lover or something. Anyway, now that Luffy's "fixed" his problem, there shouldn't be any more reason for them to be enemies. Naturally, Burgess discovering Luffy's identity is unsurprising, as well. I'm pretty interested in checking out the Don's original head shape though, at least....

Also, the C-block is now over! Now that just leaves block D before we go on to the semi-finals with Dofla's officers!
Old 2013-08-26, 23:10   Link #2
Shockingly
Sweet Perfume Mist ♥..♪

Well it seems that Luffy may have fixed his head?
And I knew Burgess would figure out who Lucy really is due to the stretching ability he suddenly saw.

& Nice. One Elephant gun. It didn't seem like Luffy was using Gear 2nd.
Old 2013-08-27, 01:53   Link #3
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Wasn't plastic surgery Sanji's role?

Funny that you mention this, because this basically DOES feel like Duval all over again (random dude who has a grudge against a Straw-Hat for some silly reason, problem magically gets fixed after getting knocked upside the head ). But again, I'm just glad this means that Chinjao's guaranteed to become Luffy's ally at this point.
Old 2013-08-27, 03:06   Link #4
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

I'm going to laugh my ass off when this whole evil scheme to trap Straw Hat completely backfires on Dofla with Luffy emerging out with an army of extremely powerful allies he gathered through out the tournament. LOL.
Old 2013-08-27, 04:29   Link #5
Undertaker

Yeah, we are analyzing the tournament part way to much. The participant there might very well be Luffy's temporary army for this arc as aohige said.
Old 2013-08-27, 06:07   Link #6
nicepace
The congueror Of The EAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Yeah, we are analyzing the tournament part way to much. The participant there might very well be Luffy's temporary army for this arc as aohige said.
Yea though so, maybe these guy's will probably follow: Don Cinjao's family, Bartolomeo, Cavendis, Rebeca and the res of the tournament who share the same problems (doflamingo) or just becomes an allies because influenced by seeing Luffy fight.
Old 2013-08-27, 06:10   Link #7
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Luffy will probably overthrow the Doflamingo house and take over the island as its guardian.

Seems like Luffy is claiming territories swiftly.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2013-08-27, 08:12   Link #8
mrShady

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I'm going to laugh my ass off when this whole evil scheme to trap Straw Hat completely backfires on Dofla with Luffy emerging out with an army of extremely powerful allies he gathered through out the tournament. LOL.
Mihawk did foreshadow this though.
But what would Burgess do?
Old 2013-08-27, 11:27   Link #9
shalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrShady View Post
Report back to BB.
Old 2013-08-27, 12:42   Link #10
Rainbowman

What will Luffy do now that his cover is blown?
Old 2013-08-27, 13:07   Link #11
randomlex
In the eye of the storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrShady View Post
Missed a nice joke there with Jesus
Old 2013-08-27, 15:18   Link #12
Shockingly
Sweet Perfume Mist ♥..♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Luffy will probably overthrow the Doflamingo house and take over the island as its guardian.

Seems like Luffy is claiming territories swiftly.
It sounds like a delightful plot.
It seems like the most perfect plot if you ask me. We shall see...

I love the thought of Luffy taking over the NW one island at a time.
Old 2013-08-27, 17:11   Link #13
mrShady

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalala View Post
Report back to BB.
He doesn't strike me as the reporting type, but I meant more like what would his individual action be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlex View Post
Missed a nice joke there with Jesus
I always miss those opportunities...
Old 2013-08-28, 00:21   Link #14
mrShady

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
What should he do?
He is on the island to fight a tournament, so he will probably do nothing else. It's likely that it's his holiday anyways.
(I mentioned it a few months ago: Nobody of the fighters competing for the Mera Mera fruit could knew beforehand, that they are going to fight for a DF as price, since this info was just given less than 24 hours before, so they either came to fight a regular tournament or were on Dressrosa by chance)

And it's not like BB or his crew consider the Straw Hats as enemies or have some sort of grudge against them. IIRC BB was always kind of friendly to everyone, even to the ones he fought or killed. He just had to do what he had to do, to reach his goal.
Burgess is a fighting maniac, so I wonder what he'll do when things escalate.
Will he stick to his tournament opponents (seeking them out and trying to fight them)?
Will he join Doflamingo in crushing his enemies because they might ask him to help?
Will he just be obsessed trying to fight Luffy?
Or could he join forces with the Strawhats just for the fun of it?

He's a huge wildcard that has no real allegiance with anyone on the island and doesn't need to make a name for himself. He's at the top of pirate food chain so other then the DF he has nothing to gain on the island. Still I doubt he'll run away when he has the fruit.
Old 2013-08-28, 00:26   Link #15
marvelB

BTW, something interesting to note: It was confirmed by Redon that Luffy's finisher against Don Chinjao is a new variation of the Elephant Gun called "Gomu Gomu no Thor Elephant Gun". Interestingly, the kanji for "Thor Elephant Gun" is "雷将象銃" which translates to "thunder general elephant gun", so could this mean that Luffy can now use thunder-based haki moves, in addition to fire-based ones.....!?

(Oh, and for the record, I'm already well aware that Luffy used a "Thor" move against Shiki in Strong World, but that wasn't canon, lol. )

Last edited by marvelB; 2013-08-28 at 01:25.
Old 2013-08-28, 03:31   Link #16
LuxorMG
ItadakiMAKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I can see this happening... and I think I read this somewhere else too. Rush of deja vu and all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
BTW, something interesting to note: It was confirmed by Redon that Luffy's finisher against Don Chinjao is a new variation of the Elephant Gun called "Gomu Gomu no Thor Elephant Gun". Interestingly, the kanji for "Thor Elephant Gun" is "雷将象銃" which translates to "thunder general elephant gun", so could this mean that Luffy can now use thunder-based haki moves, in addition to fire-based ones.....!?

(Oh, and for the record, I'm already well aware that Luffy used a "Thor" move against Shiki in Strong World, but that wasn't canon, lol. )
Nice catch on the Thor from Strong World, I totally forgot about it. I've never thought of haki as being elemental, and I don't remember fire being created with haki directly, but it'll be interesting (if a bit overreaching) when people can intrude on logia/paramecia territory. On a side note, I'm not sure if haki created the fire from this scene, but since his gear second has always been associated with heat, I assumed it wasn't the haki.

I also doubt Oda would so willingly blur the lines when he's clearly separated things to avoid any one party getting everything (cough Bleach), so unless Luffy's actually forming electricity, I expect the Thor to be in name only (or maybe, as you said, it'll create loud booms of thunder/shockwaves? no electricity involved?).

Edit: I just took a look at the scene in question and it certainly looks like a bunch of shockwaves.

Last edited by LuxorMG; 2013-08-28 at 04:13.
Old 2013-08-28, 05:35   Link #17
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Ahwell, that's finally wrapped up. Bit silly how Chinjao's head popped back up like that, but this is One Piece after all. At least he'll be happy to have his old drillhead back, seeing his reaction once he realized it should be good.

I'm guessing that D-block won't actually get to fight because of the incoming dwarf invasion force. And indeed, Burgess is one hell of a wildcard, hard to tell what he might do at that point.

As an aside, so Caribou is actually pretending to be the revolutionary Gaburu now? So he's not a total bastard anymore, at least.

Last edited by Trax; 2013-08-28 at 05:47.
Old 2013-08-28, 06:05   Link #18
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

congratz Chinjao! now your grudge is gone... time to go back to your beloved treasure

well, Chinjao's flashback took over whole chapter (although it's funny!!! very funny!)
Old 2013-08-28, 06:28   Link #19
ri0

Not too much going on in this chapter, although I really liked Chinjao's speech about taking on the admirals and Yonko.

Funny enough that the prediction about Chinjao's head and the reason for his grudge against Garp, I made a couple of chapters ago, turned out to be true

I wonder why Bartolomeo keeps saying that Cavendish won't kill Luffy. Either he wants to do the job himself or he wants to protect him for some reason.
Though they didn't have any contact we know of and his personality was totally different, Bartolomeo's resemblance to Stelly can't be denied. The age matches too, because Stelly would now be only a little bit older than Luffy.

On a sidenote: I'm glad Caribou's back and doesn't leave the old helpful lady to die.
Old 2013-08-28, 06:34   Link #20
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Haha, that was so silly. I love it. Can't wait to see how Chinjao is going to treat Luffy from now on. His gratefulness to him might be as deep as his former hatred.