AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-05-18, 12:38   Link #2821
Hs Vi Germania
Please call me "senpai":)
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Hs Vi Germania
Okay, thank you.
Old 2009-05-21, 05:53   Link #2822
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
I doubt anyone can even answer me but I'll ask anyway..

Did anyone buy the Clannad AS Visual Fan Book ? It comes with amazing Kyou poster, but I have no idea how to get it off from the book. It's attached between the cover page and first page.. and I'm clueless how to get it off nicely without breaking the book. or the poster o.O.

Any halpz would be nice.
Old 2009-05-21, 11:47   Link #2823
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
Cats do you mean me?

Do you have a site link?
http://www.fedex.com/us/office/index...nkos&HBX_OU=50

Or search for fedex office, now mind you it might be available in the UK or parts of Asia but if you know of a Office supply shop of any kind they should be able to direct you to the nearest office copy/binding service you might have to do some looking to find it if you don;t have any good chain stores in the aera.
==================
Dist
A hand scanner or if you have a good digital camera you can try to take a picture of it but you'll have to make a tripod or something to hold the camera but if you are patient and lucky you might get a good pic out of 50 tries. From there go spend 10$ at a fedex office or something simmlair and them print of a full page laminated picture, mew thinks that's a better idea than destroying the book by removeing a page.
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-21, 13:40   Link #2824
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Meh yeah but we got no scanner except a '' big '' one, yet too small to even fit that sized poster onto the scanner. Plus if that's what I wanted, I could dig up the picture from some image site like Gelbooru. I've seen it before anyway, but I want it as a poster.

And I don't think there's any offices or places here who offer such services to normal customers.. Only for companies etc u_u.

And I'm definitely not taking apart the book, since I bought the book for the book lol, I didn't know it had a poster. And the book is made like Doujinshis..it doesn't have staples.. If it did, I could take it apart and build it together again :/.

I had this same problem with Dengeki Daioh June issue and the result wasn't pretty.. the poster got ripped badly .
Old 2009-05-22, 16:29   Link #2825
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Why does a dry-cell battery leak after being left inside an unused appliance for a long time?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-22, 16:37   Link #2826
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Well if its a Zinc-Carbon dry cell battery, it could be leaking because after a while the Zinc container becomes thinner and eventually allows leaking to occur. The battery containers get thinner even when the batteries are not in use.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-22, 17:02   Link #2827
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Due to Peukert's law, batteries can lose 8 to 20 percent of their original charge every year at a temperature of about 20°–30°C. This is known as the "self discharge" rate and is due to non-current-producing "side" chemical reactions, which occur within the cell even if no load is applied to it.

If the environment in which a battery is stored in is not cool and dry, leak or faster discharge takes place . Batteries work on the principal of converting chemical energy in electrical energy , so the chemical reaction is always active more so if ingredients are in contact with each other . (closed circuit)

The leak also depends on type of fuel used Liquid, Paste or Hard Cake Fuel,the Safest being Hard Fuel. Zinc Carbon is a paste based battery
Old 2009-05-27, 01:09   Link #2828
remase2

math

hi I was wondering if anyone knew the list of math subjects covered from grade 6 to grade 12 and of any available software that can teach someone math covering grade 6 - 12.
For example say someone didn't finish highschool and they wanted to try to go to college but are afraid of the college level math and wanted to catch up.
Is there a comprehensive software that can help them play catch up.
remase2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-27, 04:48   Link #2829
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

From which country? For which college?

It is a big generalization, but Arithmetics, Geometry, and Algebra are expected essentially everywhere. Depending on the college and country involved (some are more rigorous than others), some knowledge of Calculus or Statistics can also be expected. If one has a specific college in mind, talk to the counselor and they'll often be able to help you, if not directly then by pointing to the right direction to find out what their institution expects.

Although, in the US the commonly accepted standard can be found out by looking up standardized tests like the SAT or the ACT and see what they want you to know in math before taking them. Go to collegeboard's site and search around. Some colleges are more rigorous than that but those tend to be the exception.

As for resources: there are probably quite a few software out there, but I'm not familiar with any of them. The internet, however, is teeming with sites which cover common pre-college mathematics in great detail. Just google search for something like "Calculus" or "[specific math topic]" and you're usually directed to such helpful sites on the first page results. Surprisingly enough even highly specific queries can produce the exact results you need. Simpler topics like arithmetic or geometry search terms tend to unfortunately bring up a lot of kids' sites, and higher maths like Number Theory or some other obscure topics usually don't have the extensive tutorials that common high school math topics have (then again nobody expects you to know them, so you know).

Colleges tend to have "remedy" classes for mathematics, as well, if one is inclined to find formal education on the subject.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-27, 21:42   Link #2830
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Assuming you're in the US rather than some other country.... the Schaum's Outline series for pre-college algebra, trignometry, elementary analysis, geometry might help.

I've never found any software package that was really worth a crap. Community colleges excel in helping people remedy their math skills that they missed in high school.
Old 2009-05-28, 09:41   Link #2831
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
I had some questions about athlete's foot (got one answered by wiki already about the English name)
I was wondering about several things I heard and used, I got this on one foot about 5 months ago and the doc gave me a cream for it however it didn't work at all, I went tot he doc again and she gave me another but again no result. It's starting to hurt a little now so I bought a spray from the store to try out, I also have powder for in my shoes. First question would cream or spray be better, I spray my foot and then rub the substance over the bottom and spots that are irritated (the lose skin parts), I used it about 10 mins ago and my feet feel kind of funny lol which I hope means that it is working.

My mom mentioned about cotton socks, I went to the stores today looking for 100% cotton socks but all I could find were either 75 % or 80% cotton and the rest polyester, which is hardly different from the socks I wear daily, does it have to be 100% cotton?. And she mentioned buying better anti-athlete's foot bottoms for in my shoes, which I find a little too extreme and too expensive, but should I buy new shoes as well because of this infection? and what can I use in my own home to fight against this athlete's foot, I heard jodium is a recommendation to put on your foot but I'm not sure myself
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-28, 15:51   Link #2832
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
I had some questions about athlete's foot (got one answered by wiki already about the English name)
I was wondering about several things I heard and used, I got this on one foot about 5 months ago and the doc gave me a cream for it however it didn't work at all, I went tot he doc again and she gave me another but again no result. It's starting to hurt a little now so I bought a spray from the store to try out, I also have powder for in my shoes. First question would cream or spray be better, I spray my foot and then rub the substance over the bottom and spots that are irritated (the lose skin parts), I used it about 10 mins ago and my feet feel kind of funny lol which I hope means that it is working.

My mom mentioned about cotton socks, I went to the stores today looking for 100% cotton socks but all I could find were either 75 % or 80% cotton and the rest polyester, which is hardly different from the socks I wear daily, does it have to be 100% cotton?. And she mentioned buying better anti-athlete's foot bottoms for in my shoes, which I find a little too extreme and too expensive, but should I buy new shoes as well because of this infection? and what can I use in my own home to fight against this athlete's foot, I heard jodium is a recommendation to put on your foot but I'm not sure myself
Ideally you want to keep your feet dry. Cotton socks "breathe" better than polyester. 100% cotton isn't necessarily important - but the more cotton content, the better. You may also want to consider using talcum power (also known as "baby powder") on your feet - you put some on, then put your socks on. It helps to keep your feet dry, as well. You may want to read up on it first to make sure that it's OK to use it even in the case of a fungal infection.

Other things to consider... don't wear your socks when you don't have to (that'll also help to keep your feet dry). Spray vs. cream: a spray sounds pretty gimmicky, use a cream and rub it in well. Be careful if you have breaks in your skin - try to avoid getting the cream into/onto them, as that can irritate the region and hamper the body's healing there.

Ultimately, be careful of any advice you get here (including my own). Do some thorough Googling of any and all products and recommendations, and above all, listen to your doctor.
Old 2009-05-29, 21:16   Link #2833
Frozen_Angel
Gothy Lesbian from Hell

This has prolly been asked, but I was not able to find an answer, I know there is no L in Japanese so they you R's, what do they use for R's if they are already being used as L's?

2nd In AMG the char Lind is actually Rind and from Regios Felli is Feri, I am just wondering, why do they change them in the first place, why not keep them as Rind and Feri?
And is it still correct to call them Lind/Felli even though it's wrong?

Thanks in advance!
Old 2009-05-29, 21:23   Link #2834
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen_Angel View Post
This has prolly been asked, but I was not able to find an answer, I know there is no L in Japanese so they you R's, what do they use for R's if they are already being used as L's?

2nd In AMG the char Lind is actually Rind and from Regios Felli is Feri, I am just wondering, why do they change them in the first place, why not keep them as Rind and Feri?
And is it still correct to call them Lind/Felli even though it's wrong?

Thanks in advance!
Wow, that question relates to korean dialect as well. In the Korean Language (My Native Tongue), we do not have an "R" sounds. So when pronouncing words that have an "R" to it, we replace it with a strong/expressive "L." Extending the pronounciation of that alphabet to produce a "near 'L'" sound. I am assuming that Japanese is the inverse of Korean phonetic wise.
Old 2009-05-29, 21:25   Link #2835
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
It's just that there is no "L" sound in their vocabulary. As a result, they use their closest sounding sound, "R" in this case. Also, the "R" still sounds like an "R". It's not that letter itself is replaced, its just that the Japanese tend to have a harder time pronouncing their "L"s
This would mean that in technicality, Rind=Lind and Feri=Felli. IMO is should be fine to use either version of either name.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-30, 05:06   Link #2836
Clarste
Human

In the Japanese syllabary, they don't distinguish between these sounds at all. Technically, I think they use a sound that is somewhere in between R and L, but is closer to R. It also depends on regional dialect. They can almost certainly hear the difference, but the writing makes no distinction.

This isn't just because Japanese is "deficient" or anything like that. All languages make different distinctions between sounds. In English for example, we have two different sounds represented by 'th.' It's somewhat hard to realize if you're not aware of it, but we use it both voiced and unvoiced, which is similar to the difference between 'd' and 't' or 'z' and 's.' "Them," "the," and "this" are voiced. "Thistle," "thing," and "anthem" are unvoiced. Well, I suppose it also depends on regional accents. The spelling makes no distinction between these sounds though.

Ironically, despite the fact that Japanese has neither of these sounds, they do make a distinction when they write them down as foreign words. They tend to turn voiced 'th's into 'z's and unvoiced into 's's. "The World" becomes "Za Warudo" and "Lilith" becomes "Ririsu." All languages are just different.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-30, 07:26   Link #2837
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
In the Japanese syllabary, they don't distinguish between these sounds at all. Technically, I think they use a sound that is somewhere in between R and L, but is closer to R. It also depends on regional dialect. They can almost certainly hear the difference, but the writing makes no distinction.

This isn't just because Japanese is "deficient" or anything like that. All languages make different distinctions between sounds. In English for example, we have two different sounds represented by 'th.' It's somewhat hard to realize if you're not aware of it, but we use it both voiced and unvoiced, which is similar to the difference between 'd' and 't' or 'z' and 's.' "Them," "the," and "this" are voiced. "Thistle," "thing," and "anthem" are unvoiced. Well, I suppose it also depends on regional accents. The spelling makes no distinction between these sounds though.

Ironically, despite the fact that Japanese has neither of these sounds, they do make a distinction when they write them down as foreign words. They tend to turn voiced 'th's into 'z's and unvoiced into 's's. "The World" becomes "Za Warudo" and "Lilith" becomes "Ririsu." All languages are just different.
On top of this, I'd like to point out that the Japanese alveolar 'r' is similar to the Spanish 'r' for those of you more familiar with romance languages; the main reason why there's confusion over this is because Japanese orthography employs a syllabic script as well as a iconographic one, so they don't necessarily need to distinguish between the 'l' and 'r' that some other languages have because they only have one tapped 'r' in their own language, which is represented accordingly to their native script. It's not just a problem of phonetics, it's also an issue when adopting a foreign script (in this case, romaji) that has consonants representing sounds that don't exist in the native one.
Kylaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-30, 08:31   Link #2838
anti-random
We want chicken tonight

people, what is hallowed ground?

Thanks Sephi
anti-random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-30, 08:50   Link #2839
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-random View Post
people, what is hallowed ground?
Hallowed -adjective

regarded as holy; venerated; sacred: Hallowed be Thy name; the hallowed saints; our hallowed political institutions.

Basically, a hallowed ground is a place that people think is holy in some way. It can be a church or other religious site, or can be used a bit more figuratively to describe a place that people feel is important. A history buff might think a historical monument is hallowed ground and a music fan might think a famous concert hall is hallowed ground. Literally it refers to a place that is worshiped for whatever reason. As the word ground implies, what's holy is the place itself, either because of what happens there regularly or what happened in the past. Generally people who think some place is hallowed will be very displeased if "inappropriate" things are done in or to the place. Inappropriate depends on the context.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-30, 12:14   Link #2840
Justin Kim
*Artist

Don't they usually say that in church as well? "Hallow thee by name?"

Tags
problem, q&a, serious