AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 02 Rating
Perfect 10 18 16.82%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 35.51%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 26 24.30%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 14.02%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 3.74%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.93%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.93%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 3.74%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-19, 23:37   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Welcome to the discussion thread for Lucky Star, Episode 02.

Thread Guidelines
  • No telling or asking for raws.
  • Absolutely no spoilers for future events from the manga in the anime thread.
    If you need to reply to someone with a reference to the game or manga, then PM them. Any spoilers, even under the spoiler tags, that reveals future events will be deleted.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread.

Spoiler tags still can be used where one deems appropriate. There are two ways to create clearly marked spoiler tags as they are shown in the following:

The easy way: By simply clicking on this icon which can be found in the Quick Reply or Reply to Thread template. This is how how grandma does it.
or
The macho way: By writing those l33t vB codes as shown in the following...

Spoiler Tag Example
[spoiler=the reason for *your* spoiler]Don't forget to use a title for the spoiler![/spoiler]
...becomes...
Spoiler for reminder:
Old 2007-04-20, 06:59   Link #2
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Copy-paste from before.
~~~~ ~~~~

The following is based on [a.f.k.]'s fansub.

Random Thoughts on Ep02:
---- ----
  • Lots of choice Kagami moments. She is the "straight man" in this comedy routine, and her punchlines are often a killer. Best one in this episode was probably, "That's just wrong" after seeing Konata's test result.
  • When that man skulked away from the girls in the arcade, the following phrase came to mind.

"A Man's Pride"
  • The part about "May Sickness" flew over my head. I understood what they were saying, but it wasn't clicking with me. Oh well, hit and miss as they say.
  • I can relate with the dentist discussion as my visits to the dentist are never happy ones. The drill is bad enough, but when the pick comes out... hoo boy.
  • Points for self-referential humour with regards to the issue of the cast-change between the Drama CD and the anime.
  • Despite "winning" the face-staring contest, the joke ended up being on Konata.
  • Envy in the Lucky Channel. I also wonder whether they are trying to make a point out of the exploitation of children in idol contests. It's unnerving to see people using their children to gain fame when those kids barely just started walking.
  • Best part of Lucky Channel has to be, "What was that?" Even taken out of context, it is still funny due to the efforts of the VA and the animation used to convey the scene.
  • What was up with the deep voice in the preview?
Cheers.
Old 2007-04-20, 07:35   Link #3
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

You know.. I still wanted to see that "winning" face =_=
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2007-04-20, 08:03   Link #4
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
.[*]The part about "May Sickness" flew over my head. I understood what they were saying, but it wasn't clicking with me. Oh well, hit and miss as they say.
May Sickness is perhaps more familiar to the people in countries which experience the Seasons.

When May starts, it's late spring or early Summer. During that period, people usually feel too lethargic to do anything. So when Nanako heard this, she associate Konata feeling lazy due to late night gaming sessions and not willing to attend school.
Old 2007-04-20, 08:04   Link #5
JediNight
キズランダム

I don't understand why people hate the dentist. The more often you go, the less you have to worry about. It's when you fret over it and put it off for 3 years, that you have to worry then.

I get a dental cleaning every 6 months, and I've had 1 filling my entire life. And that was like a tiny bit of the tooth that they were done with in like 5mins flat.

I only brush my teeth like once a day or every other day, but I find more important than that is just generally keeping junk out of your teeth immediately after eating. Or using your tongue to keep the soda off your teeth after drinking it.

....and that concludes my random dental tirade
Old 2007-04-20, 08:20   Link #6
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Oh, and I also want to know what's Stratos' secret in translating the murmurings of Konata. Cripes man, even when I crank up the volume to near-jackhammer levels, I can barely make sense of what she is whispering under her breath.

i.e.

1) When is talking to herself during her MMORPG session
2) When she made a sly remark towards Kagami at the UFO Catcher

Hmm...
Old 2007-04-20, 08:23   Link #7
JediNight
キズランダム

Stratos has made the same mumbling remarks when he plays MMOs? ;D
Old 2007-04-20, 09:03   Link #8
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
Stratos has made the same mumbling remarks when he plays MMOs? ;D
"Found a loincloth!"

Ah... Brings back memories of Diablo II. "String of Ears" anyone?
Sometimes the best items have the silliest names or design.
Old 2007-04-20, 09:15   Link #9
Boukenxha

Found some info about the Koi no Apron show which Kagami mentioned in ep 2. Apparently it is a real show on Japanese TV, though it only exists as two special shows for the Ai no Apron format of TV reality cooking contest, which mainly pits female celebrities/idols against each other individually or in groups with the task of completing a given menu and have the dish tasted by the judges.

Haven't seen the show myself, though I did found some clips on Youtube. The novelty is that not all of the celebrities invited are apt cooks, especially the younger ones. Imagine them wrecking havoc in the kitchen and later have their "masterpiece" judged and getting punished for making poison, I guess that's one of the selling point of the show.

The thing I don't understand is why was it referenced in Lucky Star? And why specifically Koi no Apron and not Ai no Apron? Something to do with the guy who balanced a red wash basin on his head?
Old 2007-04-20, 09:25   Link #10
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
  • What was up with the deep voice in the preview?
My kingdom for an answer!

I've been wondering this myself; perhaps the next preview may provide more clues about the "pattern".
Old 2007-04-20, 10:03   Link #11
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatsu View Post
Found some info about the Koi no Apron show which Kagami mentioned in ep 2. Apparently it is a real show on Japanese TV, though it only exists as two special shows for the Ai no Apron format of TV reality cooking contest, which mainly pits female celebrities/idols against each other individually or in groups with the task of completing a given menu and have the dish tasted by the judges.

Haven't seen the show myself, though I did found some clips on Youtube. The novelty is that not all of the celebrities invited are apt cooks, especially the younger ones. Imagine them wrecking havoc in the kitchen and later have their "masterpiece" judged and getting punished for making poison, I guess that's one of the selling point of the show.

The thing I don't understand is why was it referenced in Lucky Star? And why specifically Koi no Apron and not Ai no Apron? Something to do with the guy who balanced a red wash basin on his head?
Was one of the seiyuu on Koi no Apron?
Old 2007-04-20, 10:18   Link #12
Hoshi_Kawa
Give Gin Back!

Send a message via MSN to Hoshi_Kawa
LOL, this ep made me cry when I heard and saw things lol

Spoiler for Dont look if u havent seen the ep yet:

and whats the anime/manga that was on the manga that Konata was reading?
Old 2007-04-20, 10:36   Link #13
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm wondering if they are referring to the manga for some of Kona's mutters (some amazing guesses if it isn't right).

I threw this a "9" (this time mostly because the Lucky*Channel segment, though funny I feel like it eliminates manga source material time - for which there is plenty of material).

The split-screen is not really in the manga as such -- but it is a brilliant bit, particularly when the scenes are the SAME scene but from different camera angles.

In the manga, there's less/no reference to current material but these girls would be discussing current pop media and games so inserting comments about things they'd probably like in real life seems very appropriate.

"May Sickness" ... in the US we call it "spring fever"... sometimes "post-final blahs" or "after-final crash". It isn't unique to Japan, grades tend to drop and people stare out the window a lot or call in sick more often, take naps, chase pretty girls or guys, etc.

I'm sorry but Konata mangling those songs just makes me die from laughter, there's so much jubilant wild misdirected energy in them.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-04-20 at 12:07.
Old 2007-04-20, 11:11   Link #14
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm wondering if they are referring to the manga for some of Kona's mutters (some amazing guesses if it isn't right).

I threw this a "9" (this time mostly because the Lucky*Channel segment, though funny I feel like it eliminates manga source material time - for which there is plenty of material).

The split-screen is not really in the manga as such -- but it is a brilliant bit, particularly when the scenes are the SAME scene but from different camera angles.

In the manga, there's less/no reference to current material but these girls would be discussing current pop media and games so inserting comments about things they'd probably like in real life seems very appropriate.

"May Sickness" ... in the US we call it "spring fever"... sometimes "post-final blahs" or "after-final crash". It isn't unique to Japan, grades tend to drop and people stare out the window a lot or call in sick more often, take naps, chase pretty girls or guys, etc.
Hmm... so that was what was missing from my reposts. The addition of scores.

As much as I find Lucky Star amusing, I am going to have to give it a ranking of 07 for both Ep01 and Ep02.

The reason for this is because Lucky Star is not constant in its' amusement (from my point of view). The humour is largely dependant on whether you get it or not, and if you don't, well... the humour gears are not going to click.

When an episode makes me wonder about the time, it has already failed to fully capture my attention, and this did occur in Lucky Star for me. In Ep02's case, the points were when they were talking about the "May Sickness", and the discussion of Konata's job.

Maybe it is because of my geographical location. Seasons? The only "seasons" my country have are the "It's Raining Everyday" season, and the "It's Raining Sometimes" season.

So wait. Why then am I so enthusiastic about Lucky Star?

Because of everything else.

Firstly, there is the brilliant dynamic between Kagami and Konata. The pair are a comedy team, with Konata supplying the ammunition for Kagami's punchline. I have yet to be disappointed by the energy that is generated by their scenes.

Secondly, there is Akira. Her bi-polar personality is wickedly amusing, and I seldom get tired of such traits. Too bad she is not a genuine "psycho-moe" character though (that would be if Miyuki suddenly went "The Shining" on the rest of the cast).

Thirdly, the secondary characters. Outside of the main four, we are not really acquainted with the rest of the characters yet. The teacher thus far has been hitting the right notes, and I look forward to the rest of them.

Fourthly, the lack of fear on using self-referential jokes. This is something that KyoAni has never feared to do to themselves, and if they kick it up a notch, they may really move into high gear on this aspect.

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-20, 11:44   Link #15
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Oh... I'd like to throw kudos at a.f.k.'s translation this episode .... it was *really* good (imo, of course) ... and the technicalities handling the splitscreen and dialog running over each other handled quite nicely. The only off bit seemed to me was calling the face-making contest a "staring contest"... I also liked the way they ran Kona's "customer service" noises together....

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-04-20 at 11:59.
Old 2007-04-20, 11:51   Link #16
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

haven't seen the fan sub version yet, but I gave it still a 9 for making me laugh at some points. I just wish they made more parodies, seems this episode promoted other animes and focused on the manga version.
Old 2007-04-20, 11:54   Link #17
JediNight
キズランダム

I gave Ep1 a 6, and Ep2 a 9.

The food section dragged on for too long, and overall the scenes were extremely disjointed in the changes, even for a 4-koma. Ep2 though had much better transitions between scenes, and had a lot more gags overall IMHO.
Old 2007-04-20, 11:57   Link #18
Blue Reverie
Rank-and-file poster

I vote an 8. Better then the first episode but not by much (note this is not a bad thing nesc.). Almost all of the jokes amused me and I, too, was infected by the laughter aimed at Konata's unseen "College winning face". Not really sure what else I can comment on other then I wonder if we'll find out what sorts of otaku memorobellia (sp?) Konata collects.

Also, as far as the "Change Getter" joke, I figured it was too obvious for most people to bother commenting on.

I hope the ending continues to be nothing but Konata (or maybe the others too) badly singing obscure oldschool anime/tv themes. It'd be amusing to wonder if she'd sing something forgien but I doubt it.
Old 2007-04-20, 21:53   Link #19
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Say, did Kagami took the test with everyone else in the same classroom?

I know she is supposed to be in a different one, but during the whole scene about the test, it was as if she was right there all along.

Makes me wonder why they bother putting her in a different class to begin with; I mean she is always there anyway.
Old 2007-04-20, 22:30   Link #20
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I got the impression it was a school-wide test (like those silly standardized tests). But yes, they seem a bit rickety in portraying Kagami as being in a different class. Its in the manga .... but this may be a case where the gag superceded the continuity.