AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2020-07-16, 10:05   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 985 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Sorry guys, would've posted the spoiler sooner, but I was a little busy these last couple days! Anyway, credit goes to Redon and co. from AP for the info:

-Chapter title is "New Onigashima Project". Splash is a color page.

-The chapter begins with Law and the Scabbards encountering a familiar face: Kanjurou! The traitorous samurai figured the Scabbards would try to sneak into Onigashima's back entrance, so he's been awaiting them there along with a contingent of Kaidou's forces! Both parties then clash, with Kikunojo being the one to take on Kanjurou....!!!

-Back in the castle, Yamato tells Luffy that she knew he was Ace's brother, and wants to board his ship, much like Oden sought to board Whitebeard's. She had originally wanted to leave the country with Ace, but there's one problem..... since the age of eight, Kaidou forced her to wear shackles that would explode as soon as she left Wano's borders. Luffy asks if it's alright to take her since he plans to take out her father, but she responds that she attempted to fight him herself several times, but lost to him each time. The rubber man then offers to remove those shackles from her arms, but it's at this moment that Kaidou broadcasts his announcement across the entire isle....

-He first notes the recent abolition of the Shichibukai system, saying that the WG found a new military force to replace it. However, he and Big Mom also have their own plan to bolster their forces: They intend to obtain an Ancient Weapon, and use it to start a war!!! It's at this point that Linlin herself finally appears onstage, with a horde of her homies (who all resemble yokai). Particularly of note is that she finally managed to recapture Zeus, as well as Nami and Carrot! Together, she and Kaidou announce that the time has come to finally get hold of the legendary treasure, the One Piece....!!!

-Kaidou then makes his next announcement: He intends to relocate Onigashima to the Flower Capital, and transform the land of Wano into a powerful pirate empire with no laws! Orochi objects upon hearing this, saying that Wano is his land, but before he can protest further, KAIDOU DECAPITATES HIM!!!! It's when the shogun's head rolls that Luffy, who's hiding in the ceiling with Yamato, spots Momo on the stage. However, when he tries to call out to the boy, the ceiling collapses and he falls straight into the crowd! Meanwhile, Kaidou continues his speech, offering Orochi's subordinates an ultimatum: Join him, or die. Because once he takes over Wano, he'll rebrand the country as "New Onigashima", and appoint his son, Yamato, as its new shogun! Kaidou's child, upon hearing this, is instantly displeased. Nonetheless, she and Luffy make a beeline for the stage to save Momo while the enemy pirates call the Tobi Roppou on them....!!!!

-Just a quick reminder that it's the MAGAZINE that's on break this time, not Oda. There's also going to be another holiday break when chapter 987 hits, so just a heads up.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-16, 11:32   Link #2
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Well, it certainly seems like Luffy has no objection taking Yamato aboard his ship. A lot can happen, but I'm pretty sure she'll join.

Orochi is obviously not dead, but I'm not sure what he can even do. I doubt his subordinates, besides Kanjurou, have much loyalty toward him. I guess he'll just be caught by one of the Scabbards when trying to make a sneaky escape.
Old 2020-07-16, 12:43   Link #3
marvelB

While it indeed looks like Luffy has no objection to Yamato at the moment, I'm still unsure about her becoming a permanent member, for reasons I stated in the previous chapter thread. I dunno, maybe she can be sort of an "honorary" member like Vivi or something. I still think it's too risky for her to join, otherwise.

And as far as Orochi goes, I do admit that him getting beheaded like that reminds me of when Doflamingo got his head sliced off by Kyros in Dressrosa.... and we all knew that was a fake-out. But interestingly, unlike Dofla's string doppelganger, we actually see the shogun's head bleeding in this case. But I think I can see how he'll survive this: His DF power is based on the (monster) Orochi, which is essentially like the Japanese Hydra. So I assume that he'll be able to grow another head (or more) in place of the one he lost. In short, don't be quick to assume the shogun's reign is over, just yet....

Oh, and speaking of missing extremities, it looks like the old dog Inuarashi pulled a Shiki and replaced one of his legs with a blade! You can even see it in one of the pics I posted.
Old 2020-07-16, 13:09   Link #4
teejmo

So, paraphrasing Thanos from Avengers, Kaidou should've aimed for the heart? Or maybe one head down, seven to go?
teejmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-16, 16:02   Link #5
Rainbowman

Love the color spread with all those Macaws.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-16, 18:08   Link #6
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
While it indeed looks like Luffy has no objection to Yamato at the moment, I'm still unsure about her becoming a permanent member, for reasons I stated in the previous chapter thread. I dunno, maybe she can be sort of an "honorary" member like Vivi or something. I still think it's too risky for her to join, otherwise.
I saw the translation for the pic(s) where she asks to join and Luffy actually seems to have some reservations about her reason being emulating Oden. He didn't outright say no though, and even checked with her if it was okay for her to join when he's planning to kick her dad's ass. I think it will depend on where her character goes from there. She needs to become her own person, not just an Oden wannabe.

Regarding the weapon Kaido is planning on acquiring, could Caribou have spilled the beans about Shirahoshi? On one hand, his plotline needs to go somewhere. On the other, it'd be weird for him to have stayed in prison if he gave up such a valuable information.
Old 2020-07-17, 00:58   Link #7
The Small One

It doesn't come of clear from summary: Do they want to take an ancient weapon and One Piece, or is it implied, that One Piece is an ancient weapon and the one they plan to use?

I also think, that this isn't the end of Orochi yet. I just wonder what kind of role he will play in the following events, after beeing betrayed.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-17, 05:46   Link #8
MAX_COLA_POWER!

I think it was more that they're plotting to have a huge war with the Ancient Weapons, and also go after One Piece with Onigashima being their "Marineford" as it were. I'm also on the band that Orochi's DF is more Hydra than an actual Orochi, cut off one head 2 more shall take its place type deal. I'm surprised we haven't gotten to the end of the third act of Wano yet. If this arc is really like a stage play, I can see this year ending with the end of the third arc and then next year starting the final act.
Old 2020-07-17, 07:05   Link #9
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I don't think Orochi will grow more heads, he simply lost one and has seven remaining.

The panel of Kiku crying on the final page was weird. For one, it felt random, and secondly, does that mean Kanjurou has been defeated off-screen?
Old 2020-07-17, 12:29   Link #10
Jmariofan7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX_COLA_POWER! View Post
I think it was more that they're plotting to have a huge war with the Ancient Weapons, and also go after One Piece with Onigashima being their "Marineford" as it were. I'm also on the band that Orochi's DF is more Hydra than an actual Orochi, cut off one head 2 more shall take its place type deal. I'm surprised we haven't gotten to the end of the third act of Wano yet. If this arc is really like a stage play, I can see this year ending with the end of the third arc and then next year starting the final act.
There are FIVE acts in a kabuki play though.
Jmariofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-17, 12:35   Link #11
Jmariofan7

Quote:

And as far as Orochi goes, I do admit that him getting beheaded like that reminds me of when Doflamingo got his head sliced off by Kyros in Dressrosa.... and we all knew that was a fake-out. But interestingly, unlike Dofla's string doppelganger, we actually see the shogun's head bleeding in this case. But I think I can see how he'll survive this: His DF power is based on the (monster) Orochi, which is essentially like the Japanese Hydra. So I assume that he'll be able to grow another head (or more) in place of the one he lost. In short, don't be quick to assume the shogun's reign is over, just yet....

It’s ironic you bring up Vivi considering all the build up that she is mostly likely rejoining her crew.

Regarding Orochi, it could also be just a paint clone by Kanjuro as well, remember in the flashback it was revealed that Orochi didn’t really care about Wano and wanted to destroy and LEAVE it? Him objecting to Kaido seems pretty inconsistent with said motivation which makes me thing it’s just an act and he is pulling a Komurasaki and faking his death so that he can leave Wano and Kaido can do what he wants to it.

Last edited by Jmariofan7; 2020-07-17 at 13:19.
Old 2020-07-17, 13:46   Link #12
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

i don't want Yamato to join the crew...
for some reason i can't trust her yet...
Old 2020-07-17, 17:57   Link #13
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmariofan7 View Post
It’s ironic you bring up Vivi considering all the build up that she is mostly likely rejoining her crew.
I'm not sure about Vivi rejoining, either (permanently, anyway). I know we got some hints that something may have happened to her and her home country during the Reverie, but we still don't know enough details yet to say for certain that she'll pull a Kuma and become a monarch-turned pirate. Just to be clear, I don't completely dismiss the possibility, but we just need more info first.

Quote:
Regarding Orochi, it could also be just a paint clone by Kanjuro as well, remember in the flashback it was revealed that Orochi didn’t really care about Wano and wanted to destroy and LEAVE it? Him objecting to Kaido seems pretty inconsistent with said motivation which makes me thing it’s just an act and he is pulling a Komurasaki and faking his death so that he can leave Wano and Kaido can do what he wants to it.
It's true that Orochi wanted to ruin Wano, but remember that was also something he said TWENTY YEARS ago. Chances are, he got comfortable enough as shogun that his attitude towards Wano could have softened somewhat (at least, while under his rule). So in that sense, I don't find it odd that he would object to Kaidou's sudden seizure of power from him. I mean, I'd sort of think that just about anyone would be upset by a betrayal, wouldn't you say? Even more so when the traitor in question chops off your freaking head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
i don't want Yamato to join the crew...
for some reason i can't trust her yet...
You mean because she literally just wants to be Oden 2.0?
Old 2020-07-18, 13:29   Link #14
Jmariofan7

Quote:
Even more so when the traitor in question chops off your freaking head.
That could have been just a set up though, Orochi intentionality faked his death and Kaido was in on it, the “Orochi” that we saw get decapitated could have been just one of Kanjuro’s paint clones, especially seeing as how in this very chapter we see some headless paint clones with Kanjuro.

Orochi probably wants to escape from the scabbards so he set up a fake death to get away from them.
Old 2020-07-19, 17:04   Link #15
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Really unoriginal comment, but Yamato might the Nami clone that looks the most like her in the entire series.

The feel of Yamato and Luffy's conversation was different in the official translation. More friendly.
Old 2020-07-19, 22:14   Link #16
cyberdemon

Quote:
That could have been just a set up though, Orochi intentionality faked his death and Kaido was in on it, the “Orochi” that we saw get decapitated could have been just one of Kanjuro’s paint clones, especially seeing as how in this very chapter we see some headless paint clones with Kanjuro.

Orochi probably wants to escape from the scabbards so he set up a fake death to get away from them.
Yamata no orochi is an 8 headed serpent. It’s is far more likely that he will survive due to having 7 remaining heads. He’ll probably go skulking in the background until the end. Kinda a trump card because he suspected that kaidou would betray him
Old 2020-07-20, 11:06   Link #17
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

stop teasing us, Oda... first Carrot.. then Pudding.. now Yamato??
I don't know who'll be the next nakama but I'm okay with anything at this point.. Three of them are good

Is Orochi really die? just like that?
Looks like both Kaido's children and Big Mom's children have family issues inside
Their parents just do whatever they want and force their children to be part of their plan
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-20, 18:00   Link #18
Tuor

^ I honestly don't think that there will be any more new crew members. Of the three you mentioned, I'd say Carrot has the best shot, but I'd still be pretty surprised if that happened. At best, I think Yamato might be a temp crewman, like Vivi, but even that seems pretty unlikely to me.

If you look at the SH crew, they've all had some pretty major things happen in their past, and Luffy was usually (always) a significant factor in them getting past that. This is a major part of what makes their bonds so freaking strong. So far, Yamato doesn't have any major bad things in her past. Other than her Dad keeping her imprisoned on Wano, I haven't seen anything to indicate she's had any serious trauma in her past. Both Carrot and Pudding had more stuff to overcome than she seems to have.

Also, narratively, I get the feeling that the time to add to the crew has past, but that's an entirely subjective feeling, and could easily be wrong.
Tuor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-20, 22:34   Link #19
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I will say that I'd much prefer the out there option of Vivi joining back up than Yamato joining. But to be fair, I just don't have any real opinion on her yet. Yeah, it sucks that she was imprisoned, but that's about all we got right now. A bad relationship with her father...and wants to head out as a pirate. But in that sense she doesn't particularly need to join Luffy's crew. I don't know. It's a long road before I'd feel any real interest in her joining up. But they could get there. Someone who just shows up and wants to join the crew isn't going to leave much impact.

Out of just people who could possibly join/rejoin the crew...I'd probably tier it at this point Vivi > Carrot > Yamato. Not that I'm sure any of them will really just become a crew member. The end of the main crew recruitment could seriously just be Jinbei.
Old 2020-07-24, 20:18   Link #20
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Yea, I fully expect Vivi to rejoin the crew at some point and not just post story in some epilogue.
Maybe not as a permanent member of the crew but for sure she will rejoin for some more adventures, altho that could very well be closer towards the end of the story.

As for Yamato, i can see joining for a extended period of time just like Vivi did.
That i guess we'll just have to wait and see but i've been waiting on a Vivi reunion since forever and something i really look forward to given that Robin having joined since.