AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2019-11-28, 10:32   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 964 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Happy Turkey Day, folks! Let's feast on some spoilers, courtesy of Redon and co. from AP:

-Chapter title is "Oden's Adventures". Ministory involves the Germ Pirates spreading disease through kissing.

-Whitebeard rejects Oden's request to join. However, this does not discourage the samurai in the least, who stubbornly pesters the pirate crew to the point that they try to escape him at nightfall. However, Oden latches onto the ship with a chain, with Izou sticking close behind him! The pirates discover them, but Whitebeard decides to just allow Izou aboard the ship, while Oden is still hanging on the chain. This angers the scabbard, but WB tells him that he'll have to dissuade his master from joining himself. The pirate then makes a deal with the samurai: If Oden can keep hanging from that chain for three straight days, he'll allow him onboard his ship. The samurai manages to endure his ordeal for the most part, but is exhausted when he only has one hour left until the deadline....

-Meanwhile, on a beach in a random island, a young woman is being terrorized by some evil pirates. However, the bad guys run off when an exhausted Oden, who had only ten minutes left on the deadline, appears to save her. The woman's name is revealed to be Amatsuki Toki. Soon, after Oden recovers, the enemy pirates reappear to get revenge, but this time it's Whitebeard who saves the day! He then finally invites Oden to his ship, along with Izou and Toki. It also turns out that Inuarashi and Nekomamushi stowed away on the ship, as well. Oden's group then sail around the world with Whitebeard, going on many adventures.

-During their adventures, Toki reveals something interesting about herself: She's 26 years old, but she was born 800 YEARS AGO!!! However, nobody seems to believe her. Meanwhile, elsewhere at sea, Roger's crew read about Whitebeard's exploits on the newspaper. Roger himself is interested in meeting the samurai....

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2019-11-29 at 12:55.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-28, 10:39   Link #2
marvelB

Welp.... Toki's a clone, no surprise there. But at least it's now clear that she'll have some connection to the lost history. Also, I find it highly amusing how much young Roger resembles Ace, heh. Also, funny how WB was so reluctant to let Oden on his ship, yet he seems to be A-OK with letting random women and stowaways aboard without question....
Old 2019-11-28, 11:18   Link #3
kari-no-sugata II

Surely not a coincidence that in Japanese, "toki" means "time"...
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-28, 11:21   Link #4
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That seems like a fun chapter!

So Toki was born near the end of the Void Century? Maybe Roger will believe her and allow her to tell her story.
Old 2019-11-28, 13:55   Link #5
Hoodspirit

Toki's look being familiar shouldn't be a surprise, she has the same age in this flashback as her daughter.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-29, 03:40   Link #6
The Small One

I don't know if it was just a translation thing, but I thought it was interessting, that Whitebeard, who usually considers his crewmates his "children" called Oden his "younger brother".

I'm wondering about Toki's time travel fruit… we know that a fruit gets "reborn" when the user dies. Though she didn't die but just vanished for 800 years. So does it mean, that there has been no fruit for this long?
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-29, 08:54   Link #7
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

reading this.. make me think
Oden is a really big player in the history
Toki is also not an ordinary woman

I think Toki somehow saved Oden by jumping through time
There is simply no way both of them died
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-29, 11:12   Link #8
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Izo sure hated Whitebeard at first. I wonder if we'll get to see what made him warm up to him to the point he left Oden.
Old 2019-11-29, 12:54   Link #9
marvelB

Heh, I like how both Oden AND Whitebeard looked so disgusted by Toki's request to visit Wano. I guess poor WB got fed up with the country despite such a brief visit because of Oden, lol. BTW, interesting to see that one of the places Oden visited during his voyage was the Lvneel kingdom in North Blue (Montblanc Noland's birth country, remember. It even showed up briefly during Law's flashback in the Dressrosa arc).

BTW, it looks like the captain of the crew who terrorized Toki is a fish-man? Geez, what's up with fish-people getting into the human trafficking biz? I still haven't forgotten Macro's crew from a while back (and those guys were former Sun Pirates, who had originally opposed slavery)....
Old 2019-11-29, 21:13   Link #10
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Heh, I like how both Oden AND Whitebeard looked so disgusted by Toki's request to visit Wano. I guess poor WB got fed up with the country despite such a brief visit because of Oden, lol. .
Yeah, I loved their reactions to hearing her destination .
Old 2019-11-30, 14:51   Link #11
marvelB

Sooo.... from what little we can glean from Toki's ability so far, it seems that she can only leap forward in time, not backward. Otherwise, when she was cornered by those pirates, why did she only consider leaping to the future to escape them, and not the past? So either her DF only makes one-way trips, or there's some other reason why she can't leap backward, personal or otherwise....

Also, something else I'm a little curious about is when exactly it was that Whitebeard fell ill? Sure, his younger self is full of vim and vinegar in this flashback, but clearly something happened to him that eventually got him surrounded by life support equipment and a whole team of nurses in his later years....
Old 2019-11-30, 18:40   Link #12
Hoodspirit

Quote:
Sooo.... from what little we can glean from Toki's ability so far, it seems that she can only leap forward in time, not backward..
She said so in Chapter 920.
Hopefully this remains true until the end.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-30, 19:30   Link #13
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Yeah, we already knew Toki's ability only worked one way. I'm not sure Oda thought too deeply about it, but it's a great way to introduce a time travel ability and avoid the usual paradoxes.

Quote:
Also, something else I'm a little curious about is when exactly it was that Whitebeard fell ill? Sure, his younger self is full of vim and vinegar in this flashback, but clearly something happened to him that eventually got him surrounded by life support equipment and a whole team of nurses in his later years....
I always assumed it was due to old age, since that's what the characters in the story thought as well. I'm more interested in Roger's illness.
Old 2019-12-01, 06:34   Link #14
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

I'm more interested on how Whitebeard change his way of drinking from vinegar to booze.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-01, 10:56   Link #15
Rainbowman

Quote:
Welp.... Toki's a clone, no surprise there. But at least it's now clear that she'll have some connection to the lost history. Also, I find it highly amusing how much young Roger resembles Ace, heh.
At least we know where Ace got his good looks.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-03, 17:00   Link #16
marvelB

Dang, I forgot Toki already revealed her ability makes one-way trips. Sure enough, she even says in 920 that traveling to the past is impossible.... well, if she's telling the truth, I guess there's no need for further inquiry into the matter.... for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I always assumed it was due to old age, since that's what the characters in the story thought as well. I'm more interested in Roger's illness.
I guess his age was the cause, though now that you bring up Roger.... I wonder if WB may have caught the same disease as his old rival? True, he may not have had Crocus around to treat him, but at least he had all those nurses to ensure he survived as long as he did. Plus, Crocus, being a doctor, could still have provided those nurses with a treatment plan for WB.

Oh, and just to be clear.... although I brought up the possibility of WB catching Roger's illness, I don't necessarily mean it was through.... illicit causes, so to speak.