AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-02, 02:26   Link #22781
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
So based on that information, your target would have to be on the ground. And even then, if he's fast enough or uses something equivalent to the Sonic Move, he's going to dodge it. An attack like that has to be mono-directional.
ghaz, you're missing the point! This is for beams of war only!

You ever seen DBZ? Remember Cell vs Gohan, Kamehameha vs Kamehameha? That's the kind of situation this attack was custom-built for, not attacking targets that are capable of moving because they aren't charging a spell. It's useless in any other situation, so Rico won't use it in other situations; he'll use Ignition, or Freeze Arrow, or Dragon Slave (or not), or any of a hundred other spells he can think of.

The closest we get to a beam of war in Nanoha is Fate's Plasma Smasher vs Signum's Hiryuu Issen in A's, and those just canceled each other out.

Quote:
And actually, in terms of Starlight Breaker, you realize against Nanoha he's still hooped right? Nanoha could be X-meters across from him, but the moment she sends her Blaster Bits around him, he's going to be eating 4 more breakers from different sides. Have you considered that? :3
Sure. Fighting the White Devil--one of his closest friends, mind you--isn't very high on his to-do list anyways, so it's kind of a moot point.
Old 2008-04-02, 02:33   Link #22782
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron008R View Post
I'm sorry I can't really participate now. I have Finals coming.

But anyway, here's a special service pic from Nighty and Lowe... Which killed me twice in IRC.@_@

Spoiler for Aaron BUREKAAAHHH!!!!:

*RUNS LIKE HEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLL!!!!!!*
Instant WIN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiji Tabibito View Post
Yes, but that has nothing to do with him being honest or deceitful.
But isn't that what the game conflict is all about?

Maybe he is really a prophet and his actions really are for the good of mankind, or he is just the tiberium and nuke loving madman GDI says he is.

Without this we all wouldn't have this funny discussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
Keroko's gonna love this one:

...Vivio with a device inspired by Artherion?! 0_0 Now that completes her set of Device forms inspired by all 5 Aces...

...problem is, I'm missing all of them, except the first one, with a Vivio using a Spear. Gosh where did I save them...
I love this already!
I hope you can find the rest!

Damn... I really have to work faster on my Dark Future Setting picture...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
Miscellaneous Abilities
Shadowporting Ė Ricoís preferred method of short-range teleportation allows him to sink into and reappear out of shadows. Rico is especially fond of using this to scare the bejeezus out of people by suddenly appearing out of their shadows.
Ah! This one reminds me of my Elrics "Shadow Jump" spell, but Elric didn't need actual shadows to teleport, it's use is limited by putting his Linker Core to stress and spamming it would wear him out real fast.

Just wanted to name a similarity. xD

All in all it's a good character.
Old 2008-04-02, 02:47   Link #22783
ghazghkull
The Dang-meister

Send a message via MSN to ghazghkull Send a message via Yahoo to ghazghkull
Quote:

You ever seen DBZ? Remember Cell vs Gohan, Kamehameha vs Kamehameha? That's the kind of situation this attack was custom-built for, not attacking targets that are capable of moving because they aren't charging a spell. It's useless in any other situation, so Rico won't use it in other situations; he'll use Ignition, or Freeze Arrow, or Dragon Slave (or not), or any of a hundred other spells he can think of.

The closest we get to a beam of war in Nanoha is Fate's Plasma Smasher vs Signum's Hiryuu Issen in A's, and those just canceled each other out.
Beam war O.o

Like I said, I'm grounding this out with some common sense. No real fighter in their right mind is going to end up in that kind of a firefight.

But then again...I'm never employing that style of combat in my fics...and I've yet to see anyone pull that kind of stunt off in their fics, so that's where I'm coming from.

That kind of combat I don't believe is widely accepted here at OC, but I could be wrong on that one.
Old 2008-04-02, 02:59   Link #22784
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
Quote:

Sure. Fighting the White Devil--one of his closest friends, mind you--isn't very high on his to-do list anyways, so it's kind of a moot point.
The spell is a tactically worthless though.
As soon as a seasoned combatant realizes this thing's coming right at them, eating up magic as it goes, they get out of the way. And where does that leave the character that fired it?

Exhausted.

And that's grounds for technical defeat in practice conditions. In actual combat conditions, that's an opening for a flanking manuever.

Sure, it's got a characteristic that makes it ineherently dangerous, but it relies on IFs that fall to the opponent.

IF the opponent engages in the one attack profile that can be countershot.
IF the opponent sits around to play Beam-O-War for the entire charge time.
IF the opponent doesn't realize the attack is simply devouring theirs.
IF the opponent doesn't have the sense to evade.
IF the opponent doesn't at least have the skill to get out of the way.

That's a lot of IF's. You don't want one-trick combat skills that are depending on the opponent. That's an unpredictable/uncontrollable condition, and generally a bad idea by even novice combat persons.

Unlike the DBZ Beam-O-Wars, where if the beam is not blocked by another and sent back, the world gets destroyed... there's no such stupid beam attacks going on.

I suggest the following.

Since the spell itself is limited in use by requiring specific combat conditions to be met, remove the higher functions of its power. Such as the lethality and ill effects to the opponent.
Also, remove the exhaustion effect.

Third, increase versatility. Not only a beam, but perhaps variations on it for specific counters. One ability, but different executions to deal with common situations.

Caught in a bind? Cast it on yourself to knock out the binds.
Got a target in mind? Create a short lived orb and throw it at them as more a distraction than an actual attack, and follow up with something more useful. (Lord knows the kind of distraction it will cause when it starts sucking mage energy up for a moment. Especially if they do not realize it's not as big a combat threat as it seems. A little panic can go a long way in a fight.)
And of course, the intended version. Essentially an incoming fire interceptor. Fire it into the approaching attack and get the hell out of Dodge.

This reclassifies it. Rather than an attack move, it's an Offensive Counter. Used to upset, disorient, or reduce the effectiveness of enemy offense.

Kind of like how Vita's Iron Howl is an Offensive Counter. It has no direct offensive qualities, but it has disorienting and blinding effects that allow for either escape, or more effective offensive moves during the synthetic openings.
Old 2008-04-02, 03:53   Link #22785
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Many thanks, Kha. I practically do this for a living (being unemployed rocks when you're still living with your folks ); you should see some of the fanfic ideas I've come up with, most of them Nanoha crossovers of one form or another.

But as the resident n00b, can I ask what you mean by CCs, Heaven's Feel, Alpha and UBW? I get the F/SN references, but I don't know their significance in this context. Are these fanfics I haven't seen yet?
Kha explained Heaven's Feel and UBW; CCs are Canon Charecters. Alpha is Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Alpha by Kagerou with input from myself as beta/idea springboard, and is set 8 years post-StrikerS.

My name is Nanoha Takamachi. The year is MC0083... and destiny has finally defeated me.
My name is Vivio Takamachi, and my life has yet to begin... right?
My name is Hayate Yagami, and something amazing is going to occur.
My name is Fate T. Harlown, and I am about to uncover the truth.
My name is meaningless... and I am a monument to all your sins.

Maho Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Alpha

Episode One: My Magical Incantation..., Part 1 & Part 2

Episode Two: Heavent Sent, Part 1 & 2

And the OFM index post is here. Hasn't fully been updated, will be updated soon.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-04-02, 04:07   Link #22786
USB500
*facepalm.jpg*
*Author

Send a message via MSN to USB500 Send a message via Yahoo to USB500
song ATM: Dying Cherry Blossom ~ Border of Life (Demetori)

while waiting for my Touhou download to finish....

Note: this story takes place two year after events in Lyrical of Time.

Spoiler for what has parenthood done to you, Hikki?!:

Spoiler for aftermath:

well, this is all I can come up for another cracky edition of USB500's Crack Corner.

And Widuri as housemaid? This is relevant to my interest.

*runs*
Old 2008-04-02, 05:13   Link #22787
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazghkull View Post
Glad that you like Ryoutaro’s depiction, but I may need to talk with you after all with his depiction once I start doing the training scene. But yes, there will be plenty of Syn wanting to rip her head off for this :3
Still waiting for the "Ore- ugh" "Oh, you mean we hadn't started yet?" scene/ :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazghkull View Post
Maybe, maybe not :3 And what part are you going to remember? The fact that Syn called Hayato ‘Gunny’? :3 XD
Yes, that part.

Quote:
Keroko's gonna love this one:

Spoiler:

...Vivio with a device inspired by Artherion?! 0_0 Now that completes her set of Device forms inspired by all 5 Aces...
I know, I have it saved (along with every other Vivio image ever posted, bar a lot of the happy familly ones).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron008R View Post
=3

Anyway, more in-topic. Short GenerationS snippet.:3

Spoiler for snippet:

And... things to expect in the next chapter. :3

1. More OC's.
2. Danger strikes.
3. First real fights.
4. Wolky action!
5. de-HAXXed Perfect Void elaboration (HAXXBuster skills a-go-go!)
6. Innuendo (The last bits for a long while since the story will be serious from here onwards.=3)
7. A familiar face.:3
8. Pretty much the start of the seriousness of the story.

:3 :3 :3

*runs*
Waff, high tension, reminiscing, and drama, lots and lots of drama.... *gobbles the delicious drama* :3

Okawari!

Quote:
Snippet?!

I certainly agree with this, now to see Hayate's reaction to this revelation.

And what's this? Rebuilt of StrikerS Prologue completed?![SPOILER="PROLOGUE!!!"]-snip-[/SIZE]
*RUNS AT THE LUDICRIOUS SPEED OF TIME*
... I guess I'm not the only one to whom that made no sense at all? What is going on?!

Quote:
Ah... well at first this character was supposed to be rather overpowering, the same way Xellos and Evangeline A. K. McDowell are overpowering in their respective shows. The initial idea was a rogue character serving his own interests and occasionally getting involved with the main cast while actively opposing the TSAB's attempts to limit the development of magic in non-magical universes, which rang of Anti-Spiralism to me. On further consideration, though, I couldn't recall any mention of that particular policy in canon, and this character comes from enough of an AU as it is.

Originally, he didn't really do much during his time with the protagonists, until Team Nanoha came up against something they can't handle. Then the OC rolls up his sleeves and shows the mains a thing or two. After some work, however, he turned into... well, this.

Spoiler:
One thing this profile demonstrates is the difference between my way of inserting characters and the 'general' way. :3 Judging by the background, this is an alternate reallity character, right? *reads on* ah, seems I was right.

Now, this makes my judging of your characters background difficult, because I am a real fan of the 'insert your character, but leave the story intact' aproach. That's probably why I don't like your character single-handedly debugging the Yami no Sho.

On to the deeper background... the Lord of Nightmares? As in the mother of all things? That is very difficult to pull of without seriously overpowering your character.

On to the powers... this I'm very uncomfortable with. Pure magic? 'free of all restraints?' That just screams overkill no matter how I look at it.

The atacks are already handled by Goose and TigerClaw, so I won't break in further for now.

All in all this character radiates a thick air of Mary Sue. He is an avatar of the creator of all, single-handedly fixed the Yami no Sho... No, I'm sorry, but despite the flair of Slayers, I don't really like this character. Call me biased, but any character that can single-handedly change such a massive canonical event such as the Yami no Sho case quickly looses my atention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USB500 View Post
while waiting for my Touhou download to finish....

Note: this story takes place two year after events in Lyrical of Time.

Spoiler for what has parenthood done to you, Hikki?!:

Spoiler for aftermath:

well, this is all I can come up for another cracky edition of USB500's Crack Corner.

And Widuri as housemaid? This is relevant to my interest.

*runs*
I'll say one thing: Hikki deserves far worse then what you probably intend for Nanoha to throw at him. Hayate and Fate too, for that matter. You simply do not mess with a mother's worry for her child like that.

On that note, the mere fact that Hayate and Fate were in on this... damn, I can't even call this a prank... is grossly OOC.

Last edited by Keroko; 2008-04-02 at 05:51.
Old 2008-04-02, 05:24   Link #22788
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
... I guess I'm not the only one to whom that made no sense at all? What is going on?!
Oh now I get what's going on. That means I've succeeded a bit too well.

Unless there's more to Fate rescuing Erio from that science facility as stated in canon, all will be revealed in the next scene.

In the meantime, enjoy the Rebuilt of StrikerS Opening. >3
Old 2008-04-02, 05:25   Link #22789
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
A little bored tonight, so I wrote something up just to get the idea out of my head once and for all.

It's a little sequence that addresses one of those 7arcs quirks of combat that drives me nuts. If anyone thinks its got potential, or ways to improve its execution, let me know. Otherwise it'll just go in my 'dead ideas' bin until further notice.

Spoiler for Don't stand in the street!:
Old 2008-04-02, 07:17   Link #22790
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Actually, I was planning on adressing this in Joint Training. Oh, well....

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-04-02, 07:36   Link #22791
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Question: Where the hell is Erio supposed to take cover anyway, concidering the size of a magical circle?

Yes, I am starting to draw firm lines where the 'how far we can drag realism' is concerned. :3

Last edited by Keroko; 2008-04-02 at 07:54.
Old 2008-04-02, 07:52   Link #22792
Sheba
Must Bury Qiqi

Hay guys, this is a magical girl show with shonen elements lol. Certainly not "Band of Brothers".
Old 2008-04-02, 08:09   Link #22793
Reiji Tabibito
The OTHER Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Unlike the RAF, as far as I can see, the OFM also have little to no problems with killing people to accomplish the mission objectives. Arcas also probably wouldn't fit in the OFM - they're all crazy in some way or another, even Chief ("Damned fool! Why do you always jump!") and Glen (who's an ATX candidate).
The killing thing largely depends on the squad in the RAF. Squads like the 31st, which is the fugitive pursuit and capture squad, tend to keep their targets alive; squads like the 1st, which is the heavy assault squad, are probably more like the OFM in that most of them are stone-cold killers.

And even within squads, there's an individual difference. Take Sevasti and Arcas. Sevasti would have no qualms about killing a target unless it was specifically addressed in the mission objectives. Arcas is just the opposite - he generally doesn't kill unless the objectives require it.

And yes, Arcas wouldn't really fit in the OFM...the LEAST of his reasons being that he considered guns and rifles "inelegant weaponry."

Quote:
Hmmm... Doctor Who now, Reiji? Trying to buff up the RAF? Still, Erick makes it a point to recruit people who won't crack easily, especially in the wake of Ariadne. (All that white stuff on Franz? It's ash.) Besides, Franz has looked Omega in the eye numerous times, and has not blinked. He has sweated though. Omega at full power... is terrifying.
The RAF needs no buffing up - it's plenty good as it is. I was just using the Doctor to make the point that both RAF and OFM have seen and fought things the other would never think of.

And RAFers in general don't crack easily - part of the application process for the RAF is extensive psychological testing, due to the nature of the Force and their job.

And what is Omega?

Quote:
On the other hand, for sure the RAF look at the TSAB as colleagues and share a sense of being Good and Righteous. Your average Assault Company mage looks at GFHQ as a big fat target-rich environment. XD
Kinda sorta. RAFers have mixed opinions about the Bureau, mostly divided by the branch of the Bureau in question.

Ground Forces: The RAF sees the GF as heroic footsoldiers commanded by a bunch of Peter-Principle grade morons. Most RAFers do not enjoy the prospect of working with anyone in the GF with a rank higher than Commander - mainly because in their experience, such officers are pompous assholes a la Regius.

Navy: The Navy is on okay terms with the RAF. RAFers do appreciate the heavy firepower the Navy's ships can give them, but that's about it.

Air Force: The RAF has a really good relationship with the Air Force - nearly two-thirds of all transfer personnel come either directly from the Air Force, or have had a previous Air Force assignment.

Quote:
Psycho: "GF pussy ain't as nice as Navy..."
Leena: "But they definately taste nicer than guys." *leers at Mel*
Arcas: <huggles Mel> You leave her alone...

Mel: A-Arcas...

Quote:
Yes, they're vulnerable to fire. Napalm will be very useful.
I was NOT thinking napalm.

Quote:
You can keep old ships in really good condition with patrol/refit cycles. That's how the US Navy's keeping the Nimitz-class carriers running.
I think the TSAB has a slightly larger budget than the US Navy.

Quote:
While I like Janeway, I must respectfully disagree: I believe Hammond of Texas to be more awesome and pwn than her.
Comparing apples to oranges here; trying to compare Star Trek to SG-1 would be like trying to compare Arnold Schwarzenegger to Bruce Willis.

Quote:
Oh, don't be a baby. Hayaurion is AWESOME.
It is not! They are uncle and niece! UNCLE AND NIECE!! NOTHING MORE!!!

Quote:
You don't have eyes in your cranium, unless they never descended during embryonic stages...
Uhh...never mind! Stupid people who don't read webcomics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyral View Post
But isn't that what the game conflict is all about?

Maybe he is really a prophet and his actions really are for the good of mankind, or he is just the tiberium and nuke loving madman GDI says he is.

Without this we all wouldn't have this funny discussions.
...True. We'll never really know, will we?
Old 2008-04-02, 08:22   Link #22794
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Uhh...never mind! Stupid people who don't read webcomics...

In other news, the opening of Episode 1 got rather delayed, WoW and studies not helping... But I might end up with 2 openings, so I'll just stick the crack one in the DVD extras section at the end of every episode...

Also, the Guild Tabard is ready! I wanted to post a picture, but somethings wrong with the Australian connection to Photobucket again, so that might have to wait until I find a nice background to pose against.
Old 2008-04-02, 08:23   Link #22795
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:

Laaazy, don't wanna! Jun was pure crack anyway!
Quote:
Jun was written down for the lulz and causing people to panic. I never really intended on any romantic scenes between the two, and only left the innuendo in case I changed my mind. I didn't.
Really now, which means Keroko is open…
*mad cackling can be heard*

Kou: Oi asshole you’re already supposed to be writing, about us.
Rose: Yeah hurry the hell up I want to show up already!

Hey shut up I’m the one in charge here I’ll write whatever I want!

Felix: Which has been like nothing for the past half a week.

Piss off I haven’t been feeling that good!

Felix: Oh yeah I mean you’ve only managed what six to eight hours of NavyField a day.

If I just keep grinding for another week I can get that Brooklyn! It has fifteen six inch guns! Fifteen man!!

Pixy: I don’t see how that’s so much better then sixteen five inch guns

You clearly know nothing of naval warfare! Wait why am I even debating this with you! I’m the creator I can do whatever the hell I want!

Felix: No you can’t we’re all in your head you can’t get rid of us now we’ll just keep nagging and nagging you until you use us!

Bull! I could destroy you all with a mere thought… well several thoughts anyway! I’ll do it!

Kou: No you won’t pansy you just spent two freaking hours writing up my profile this morning, and I take offense at being called “caustic” by the way.
Felix: Face it dude the sooner your write more about us the better it’ll be for all of us.
Rose: Yeah I want my intro damn it and you better make it cool!

Fine, fine! Damn harpies I’ll get back to work on the chapter… right after some NF I’m almost at level 32! Muhahaha prepare to feel my fatal five inch fury you puny DDs and cower before my terrible CL1y wrath!

Kou: God damn it!
Felix: He’s going to be like this for at least another week before the grind finally makes him lose interest I reckon.
Kou: Then he'll probably start playing WOW ten hours a day...
Felix: Probably
Kou: Main our creator sucks... Felix: They all do, man they all do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagerou View Post
Funny things happen from when you look at things from a decidedly American perspective .
Yeah the American take on guns is perhaps best shown by this...
Spoiler for We LOVE guns!:

But none of that can beat THIS.
Spoiler for Like REALLY love, we're pretty much gay for them:
Yes it IS legal to own a CANNON (AKA a "Destructive Device")in a number of areas of the United States… as long as you pay taxes.

The US is about as anti-gun control as you can possibly be it’s a wonder we bother to make people disable the guns when they buy surplus tanks; it’s like Mids slightly crazed doppelganger/ bizarro twin.

Quote:
It's not my fault public schools don't teach anything about other cultures (I mean, seriously, we should at least learn how the Brits lived; hell, I had to take a dedicated Latin class just to learn how Romans lived! Romans!).

Anyway, will change the scene slightly as Keroko-kun noted above :3.
Or you could just read on your own I loved history and social science though I'd just read history books and watch hour long documentaries just for fun never studied for tests... always aced them anyway. Though I have seen this happen like my sister once asking me "what was that war thing that happened in like the early 18 hundreds?"

"Umm the War of 1812."

"Oh yeah! That was it thanks!"

Of course then she'll go and do a bunch of calculus and trig and enjoy it and I look at pre-algebra and start getting migraines so we sort of split the smarts in different areas I suppose.

Quote:
Not bad...though I do wish the 82nd was making an actual appearance within the story...
God Reiji stop being such a whore already it’s really unflattering and a tad sad.

Last edited by Tk3997; 2008-04-02 at 08:40.
Old 2008-04-02, 08:58   Link #22796
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
Really now, which means Keroko is openÖ
*mad cackling can be heard*
Now I remember why I threw Jun into the fray...

Quote:
Spoiler for Annoying ain't it? Rebelous creations:
... server? screenname? That looks like a nice game to play in between lunchbreaks at work. :3

Quote:
Yeah the American take on guns is perhaps best shown by this...
Spoiler for We LOVE guns!:

But none of that can beat THIS.
Spoiler for Like REALLY love, we're pretty much gay for them:
Yes it IS legal to own a CANNON (AKA a "Destructive Device")in a number of areas of the United StatesÖ as long as you pay taxes.

The US is about as anti-gun control as you can possibly be itís a wonder we bother to make people disable the guns when they buy surplus tanks; itís like Mids slightly crazed doppelganger/ bizarro twin.
And yet another reason why you aren't exactly working on 'catching up' to Japanese gun control.
Old 2008-04-02, 09:23   Link #22797
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:
Now I remember why I threw Jun into the fray...
You don’t need to worry about me very much at least I’m seriously too busy with my own stuff at the moment to torment other peoples creations.

Though I do have plans for Tesla at a later date, but it’s nothing earth shaking and it’s probably two even more like three chapters away. It’s basiclly just going to be having her appear for the sake of having her appear, since I like her. Keroko can’t really show up though because I’ve got plans for Nanoha and having both of them would make the group even more insanely overpowered then it will be plus this is only a bit over a year post StrikerS and as I recall you said she got beat up pretty bad so she’s probably out just by that alone. Nanoha was borderline, but I decided that she doesn’t get to do enough cool stuff in here so if we acutally make it to the end of this (in like five years at the current rate) she’ll get to ride to the rescue at the end and take some names.

Quote:
... server? screenname? That looks like a nice game to play in between lunchbreaks at work. :3
I play on the Arizona server under the nick of Nameless game itself is free (though you gain 40% reduced exp that way) and yeah it can be fun to waste time on during short breaks. Though if you want to get to higher levels serious grinding is definitely going to be required though you can reach CL1 and have some decent fun with a few days to a week of hard play. The US server nowadays are more filled with harder core guys that have been at it awhile and exp has been boosted (so people level faster) so unfortunately the lower level game isn’t quite as fertile as it used to be, but it’s still quite possible to have good fun with a DD.

Unless you already know of it in which case you know all that.

Quote:
And yet another reason why you aren't exactly working on 'catching up' to Japanese gun control.
Not-even-close.

Old 2008-04-02, 09:35   Link #22798
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
You donít need to worry about me very much at least Iím seriously too busy with my own stuff at the moment to torment other peoples creations.
I'm not worried. I'm not worried at all!

Quote:
Though I do have plans for Tesla at a later date, but itís nothing earth shaking and itís probably two even more like three chapters away. Itís basiclly just going to be having her appear for the sake of having her appear, since I like her. Keroko canít really show up though because Iíve got plans for Nanoha and having both of them would make the group even more insanely overpowered then it will be plus this is only a bit over a year post StrikerS and as I recall you said she got beat up pretty bad so sheís probably out just by that alone. Nanoha was borderline, but I decided that she doesnít get to do enough cool stuff in here so if we acutally make it to the end of this (in like five years at the current rate) sheíll get to ride to the rescue at the end and take some names.
Perfectly understandable. And yes, Keroko got beat up pretty bad, she was bed-bound for a good 3 months, and didn't fully recover untill the end of StrikerS.

But then, Ethereal Mode for an extended amount of time combined with trying to tank a point-blank Seismic Charge will do that to a person.

Quote:
I play on the Arizona server under the nick of Nameless game itself is free (though you gain 40% reduced exp that way) and yeah it can be fun to waste time on during short breaks. Though if you want to get to higher levels serious grinding is definitely going to be required though you can reach CL1 and have some decent fun with a few days to a week of hard play. The US server nowadays are more filled with harder core guys that have been at it awhile and exp has been boosted (so people level faster) so unfortunately the lower level game isnít quite as fertile as it used to be, but itís still quite possible to have good fun with a DD.
*scribble scribble* Right, see you there then. I'm quite used to getting beaten by so-called pros in these kinds of games, so I'll survive.
Old 2008-04-02, 10:29   Link #22799
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
All in all this character radiates a thick air of Mary Sue.
Agh. Figures my first SI character would be one of those. Though in Rico's defense, he personally didn't do anything to the BoD; Diana, being Rein's prototype, did all the work and should take all the credit.

I'll bet I can come up with something better before the day's out. Give me a few hours and I think I can come up with a character who fits nicely into canon with only a little bit of adjustment.
Old 2008-04-02, 11:02   Link #22800
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Here it is! Part 2 of Franz's rebuilt spell & skill set! IKE!

Spoiler for Franz Jaeger, Skillset & Spell List:

Quote:
The killing thing largely depends on the squad in the RAF. Squads like the 31st, which is the fugitive pursuit and capture squad, tend to keep their targets alive; squads like the 1st, which is the heavy assault squad, are probably more like the OFM in that most of them are stone-cold killers.
Stone-cold killers, eh? Well, there's all sorts in the world. The OFM can be divided into 2 groups: Erusian War vets and those born during or after the war. The first group, which counts Erick, Ivanovich and Franz among its members, are where you'd find the guys who're most accustomed to killing; they fought in a civil war (Franz was on opposite sides of Erick and Ivanovich in the beginning, though thankfully they never met on the battlefield) and through terrorist attacks, so they know that combat is kill or be killed. The second group are those who do kill, understand that it's nescessary, but don't really look to killing as a solution to most problems...

Franz: "Hey! I am not stone cold!"
But you did shoot Naomi's parents in cold blood. And you can't kill someone unless you're using your coldblooded persona.

Quote:
And even within squads, there's an individual difference. Take Sevasti and Arcas. Sevasti would have no qualms about killing a target unless it was specifically addressed in the mission objectives. Arcas is just the opposite - he generally doesn't kill unless the objectives require it.
There is that. Ivanovich for example believes in sniping - mind you he was a sniper - they didn't call him the "Mage Hunter of North Point" for nothing. Franz would rather capture targets, Chief will kill because that's what the mission calls for, Erick sees it as eliminating cancer, Mikhail wants targets alive for interrogation, and Glen reminds everyone to STFU because their orders are almost all the time assasination jobs.

Quote:
And yes, Arcas wouldn't really fit in the OFM...the LEAST of his reasons being that he considered guns and rifles "inelegant weaponry."
Ivanovich: "A weapon isn't supposed to be elegant. It's supposed to kill as efficiently as possible."
Franz: "For some reason, Arcas has always struck me as a bit of a fussy whiner."
EricK: "Meh, he's happy where he is. Besides, we only recruit Erusians. Mostly."

Quote:
The RAF needs no buffing up - it's plenty good as it is. I was just using the Doctor to make the point that both RAF and OFM have seen and fought things the other would never think of.

And RAFers in general don't crack easily - part of the application process for the RAF is extensive psychological testing, due to the nature of the Force and their job.
My point, though, was that you originally portrayed the RAF as being diplomats/US Marshalls and now you seem to be taking it in a Doctor Who-ish direction with no notice, as opposed to the OFM who from the start were blackops and only now have been shoehorned into this role of anti-Spawn, and are for all intents and purposes doing normal stuff, just on abnormal foes. Then again, that's what the ODSTs got stuck doing: fighting Flood and Covenant.

Though the OFM has a lower opinion of human intrinsic goodness, since it's been cleaning the Bureau's messes for years.
Quote:
And what is Omega?
...you want your OCs in Alpha and you don't even know that Omega's the big bad? Reiji, what the hell are you doing?

Read this. This is Omega. And he isn't even fully powered yet.
Episode Two: Heavent Sent, Part 1 & 2

Quote:
Kinda sorta. RAFers have mixed opinions about the Bureau, mostly divided by the branch of the Bureau in question.

Ground Forces: The RAF sees the GF as heroic footsoldiers commanded by a bunch of Peter-Principle grade morons. Most RAFers do not enjoy the prospect of working with anyone in the GF with a rank higher than Commander - mainly because in their experience, such officers are pompous assholes a la Regius.

Navy: The Navy is on okay terms with the RAF. RAFers do appreciate the heavy firepower the Navy's ships can give them, but that's about it.

Air Force: The RAF has a really good relationship with the Air Force - nearly two-thirds of all transfer personnel come either directly from the Air Force, or have had a previous Air Force assignment.
Hmmm. Franz's view on the Branches. Mind you he DOES have a rather strong dislike of mainstream TSAB forces:

Ground Forces: The only good GF are dead and buried on Erusia, most of them are crap, with crap tactics, crappy skills, and corruption in the ranks. And they suck ass.

(Also note that GF does not use Commander - equivalent rank is Lt. Colonel. Jesus, Reiji, if you're gonna use ranks, get them right.)

Enforcers: Surprisingly skilled; the OFM and Enforcers get along quite well.

Navy: Since Ivanovich is a Marine and the OFM are basically semi-Marines in his image, they tend to look favorably to the Navy, with some good-natured ribbing (in fact, OFM mages wear the uniforms of mages assigned to the Navy). This may be due to pragmatic reasons: you can't kick ass if the Navy, who owns the ships, isn't going to let you hitch a ride. The OFM has no opinions on firepower as the Aus'ruf lacks weaponry, relying on speed and stealth. Erick was delighted to have the White Tempest joining him.

Air Force: So-so, decent recruiting ground for Air Wing girls.
Quote:
I was NOT thinking napalm.
You're deliberately limiting your options, boyo. Napalm is fairly easy to jury-rig (in worst case you can just go for normal gasoline) and does well as an area defense. This is, perhaps, the greatest difference between the OFM and units like the RAF: the OFM is able of getting by without magic and is capable of rapidly adapting to new threats and situations.

Before you complain, Navy SEALs do the same thing.

Quote:
I think the TSAB has a slightly larger budget than the US Navy.
The system still works, unless you wanna say that you can repair, overhaul and upgrade a ship as it's underway.

Quote:
Comparing apples to oranges here; trying to compare Star Trek to SG-1 would be like trying to compare Arnold Schwarzenegger to Bruce Willis.
[Teal'c]Indeed.[/Teal'c] But Hammond is just AWESOME.

Quote:
It is not! They are uncle and niece! UNCLE AND NIECE!! NOTHING MORE!!!
Why reiji are you inviting me into a shipping war? ^__________^ I made Aaron go all swirly and Kagerou broke Kha - do you really think you can take me on?

I believe in miracles.

Closed Thread