AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-06-21, 03:25   Link #341
Amirali
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Amirali
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioIzzy View Post
Just wondering. Does volunteer help for the future for post-secondary?
I don't know, this might just be Canada. But lots of graduates said have said to me that volunteer hours are great.
From what I've heard it's a big plus point in applications. More so if it is linked to your ambitions/beliefs............if it's just something for passing time, or cv-building, it might not come across as positively on your application.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
mmm i wouldnt say thats exactly true.. for example, in my case the SAT mattered a hell of a lot. thats cos my school system (CBSE) isnt 'recognized' by colleges in the US. and its a fact, theres a ridiculous amount of forging of transcripts and grades here, and people are beginning to catch on about it. what pulled me through into a college was eca + SAT + recos
Well, I am perhaps biased because in my country, all the elite schools offer O and A levels, which are recognized. Also, there isn't that much forging of transcripts and grades here even in the local school system. In your circumstances, the SAT certainly matters more as a reliable measure.
Amirali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 18:45   Link #342
nanafan
horo fan

volunteer work is definitely a plus since it looks good on a resume, because people who consider hiring you see that you are involved in your community.
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-02, 11:50   Link #343
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

What college's offer
IT Certificate 2, 3 etc courses ?
and how much does it cost to get an Linux + Certificate

P.S. I plan on becoming an Computer Technician any tips would be welcome
Old 2008-09-02, 13:48   Link #344
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioIzzy View Post
Just wondering. Does volunteer help for the future for post-secondary?
Yes.

It's kind of annoying actually, I saw people who do volunteer and I see them doing for college resume rather than the joy of the thing, and it's kinda...cheap?

A college resume is all about catching attention. A perfect grade and a good SAT/ACT score helps in preventing you from being dropped off the list of potential candidates, but if it's a competitive college we're talking about, an awesome essay or an impeccable (and in my envious, proletarian opinion, shiny "like an expensive car") list of extracurricular activities will catch their attention.

I think I got myself accepted to several colleges because my essays were awesome (read: insane, unorthodox; they probably thought I was "interesting" after reading a bunch of generic essays rather than any judgment more substantial and qualitative) but in the end I chose to go to the local college because of financial and other reasons.

However!

That's not the end of the (material, *sigh*) value of these volunteer works and extracurricular activities. Getting accepted into college is one thing, getting scholarships to pay from it is another. And here, the larger and more shiny your list of volunteer activities are, the more opportunities will be open for you. I can't remember how many times I've read through a scholarship offer and its biggest most noticeable qualification is you doing something outside of normal school, "leadership" is probably the word most often used (and I still to this day can't figure out what the hell that was supposed to mean). That is where I went wrong -- aside from my l33t essay writing skillz () I have no such thing to offer and I couldn't afford to go where I wanted in the end.

Don't make my mistake. Get involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lycan
P.S. I plan on becoming an Computer Technician any tips would be welcome
Don't take it as expert advice, but just about every college worth a dime has this thing called the Computer Science major. Most aspiring computer technicians of any kind probably start there if they pursue the college route rather than going out tumbling through the world like the next Bill Gates.

Prepare for a lot of math, though.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 02:30   Link #345
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Yep. Exams are done for me...

But my JAPN 101's a major bummer...

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 08:41   Link #346
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I have 4 final exams in four courses which is coming up soon: Accounting Principles II, General Physics, Statistics, and Introduction to Computer Science. I'm transferring to a different university after the spring semester ends.
Old 2009-04-23, 11:51   Link #347
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
Honestly, I hated school since 6. grade. It's not that I hated learning in particular or anything, but just the method the teachers were using. They killed my joy and interest for it xD

The dullness of copying things in my notebook for hours, exactly the way they were in my book, I simply couldn't comprehend. My handwriting is meh anyway, so if I wanted to reread I simply took the book. I hated the tasks teachers gave out, just so we had something to do.
Oh and memorizing ... GOD how I HATE memorizing, up to this day I hate it xD That at least could be helpful later, but the usefulness of a lot of assignments in school were simply beyond me.

I liked more the tasks where I had to use my brain a little or could be a little creative Granted, it's no posible to only have fun while learning, it's always annoying when it comes down to it ... but it's stunning how my grades usted to differ majorly, looking at my motivations in subjects AND the teachers I had.

I'm good and hard-working at what I do - when I want to
I need a little challenge once in a while, too. I'm also never lazy at work or when it counts at university It's what I want to do now, after all :3

Well, now I'm an aspiring engineer - and happy I graduated school succesfully Sadly, I still have a far way ahead of me until I'm finished with my studies *sulk* .___.

I have only subjects that are somewhere in mathematics, physics or informatics. To date I'm pretty confident that I'll manage the exams somehow, but we'll see :3

I'm still glad I don't have any exams until july. And the exam time's only a month long so a lot of free time after that until the next semester starts. But I'm gonna work a lot in that time, so not that much time to goof around :/

I presented a project today, though. Easy one, just presenting formulas, how they're used and apply them to examples, that I calculated and measured before, to prove the formulas actually work.
At least the professor loved it and I earned my first credit points for my semester lol. I don't think it's worth that much of his praise, though XD

...that's a long post about my boring, 'professional' life XDD

Last edited by zebra; 2009-04-23 at 11:55. Reason: typos
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 16:06   Link #348
Hs Vi Germania
Please call me "senpai":)
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Hs Vi Germania
I hate school since class 1 but i am not finished with it, 1 year yet.
Old 2009-04-23, 16:57   Link #349
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post

Don't take it as expert advice, but just about every college worth a dime has this thing called the Computer Science major. Most aspiring computer technicians of any kind probably start there if they pursue the college route rather than going out tumbling through the world like the next Bill Gates.

Prepare for a lot of math, though.
lol yep, prepare for a lot of math. its kind of odd, i hate math but love computer science, which is one of my majors. im doing a math minor along with it ( not because i like it at all, as mentioned above) but because there are probably 2-3 courses which arnt already cross listed with my majors.

having said that, a lot of the math youd have to do for computer science is pretty interesting. algorithms, computation (theory/scientific), discrete math etc.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 20:57   Link #350
Antares
Haruhiist

I have 3 finals next Thursday. That's 3 hours per exam = 9 hours exams plus half an hour break in between = 10 total hours of hell. Hopefully I'll still be sane by Friday morning.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 21:25   Link #351
Chaho-Chi
toptoptoptoptoptoptoptopt
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Chaho-Chi
School is O.K for me.
I get good grades, have friends on my side.
We're going to have some ending of grade testing soon.
Of course people who don't pass repeat the grade again (My school apparently doesn't believe in summer school, they just don't want flunkies in the next grade).

Chaho-Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 22:00   Link #352
LeoXiao
思想工作

I took the ACT yesterday and it was kinda the same as the SAT, except this time I finished the essay and was totally unprepared for the science section, which I didn't finish. What was worse was that the proctor accidentally cut us off ten minutes too early and by the time she found out I was already not in testing mood.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 22:05   Link #353
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares View Post
I have 3 finals next Thursday. That's 3 hours per exam = 9 hours exams plus half an hour break in between = 10 total hours of hell. Hopefully I'll still be sane by Friday morning.
I hate to say it, but I dont think you will be , i know i wouldnt be able to. good luck, i'm sure youll need it
Old 2009-04-23, 22:06   Link #354
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Thanks for the advice, and it seem that I will do worse in the ACT writing section . Though usually I didn't had any trouble finishing it in time for the SAT, it's just that I studied the writing section only before and basically the way I did writing section changed. I will try your method of memorizing raw grammar.
Well few months after that got 30 on my ACT and now going to college soon .

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
I took the ACT yesterday and it was kinda the same as the SAT, except this time I finished the essay and was totally unprepared for the science section, which I didn't finish. What was worse was that the proctor accidentally cut us off ten minutes too early and by the time she found out I was already not in testing mood.
Yeah the science might take lot of time but it's relatively easy if you are able to read the question carefully and be quick enough. 34 was what I got in that section. And I found ACT lot easier than the SAT.
Old 2009-04-23, 22:32   Link #355
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

SATs and ACTs are just a pain in the butt to take, and I never scored a very good score, only just enough to get into the college I wanted to, but I don't have to really worry about them since I'm in college.

Standardized tests are pointless in my opinion and in my view... most students who scored high is most likely from wealthy/well-off families because they are able to access SAT/ACT tutors...
Old 2009-04-24, 10:30   Link #356
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
Actually I know of 2 or 3 people that aced the SATs, 2400, and aren't really wealthy and I'm pretty sure neither have gone to tutors. Though they themselves were already pretty crazy.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 15:40   Link #357
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post

Standardized tests are pointless in my opinion and in my view... most students who scored high is most likely from wealthy/well-off families because they are able to access SAT/ACT tutors...
eh..? i didnt have a tutor ..well then again i didnt get a great score, but a good enough one. still, a lot of my friends didnt have tutors, and some of them got stellar scores. Infact, a couple of friends I know just studied for around 2-3 weeks and got 2250+. Not that they were particularly smart people either. Standardized tests are useful, until people learn to break them . Unfortunately all the questions are based on fairly predictable patterns. I found it rather awful that critical reading question patterns were more predictable than that of math. Once youve got the pattern down the SAT is not tough at all, I only wished I'd paid more attention to that aspect of the test.
Still, you need something - for example, colleges in the U.S dont ( didnt ) recognize my school system. it made little or no difference as to whether i got an 85 or a 95 overall, and admissions are given out before our final exams have even finished ( where I come from final exams mean everything, it doesnt really matter what happened in the rest of the year, so students anyways tend to slack off during the year). Unfortunately colleges cant accept students simply based on essays, recommendations, and ECA's.
Old 2009-04-24, 17:35   Link #358
stubby42

I'm in my last semester of university, scary as hell then I have to go in the big wide world and actually get a job.
stubby42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 22:11   Link #359
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Well, got a C in Geohazards and a D in Japanese 101.

Uni's going to place me in a study program to get me back on track soon....

GPA's 1.5. Dammit.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 10:09   Link #360
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
eh..? i didnt have a tutor ..well then again i didnt get a great score, but a good enough one. still, a lot of my friends didnt have tutors, and some of them got stellar scores. Infact, a couple of friends I know just studied for around 2-3 weeks and got 2250+. Not that they were particularly smart people either. Standardized tests are useful, until people learn to break them . Unfortunately all the questions are based on fairly predictable patterns. I found it rather awful that critical reading question patterns were more predictable than that of math. Once youve got the pattern down the SAT is not tough at all, I only wished I'd paid more attention to that aspect of the test.
Still, you need something - for example, colleges in the U.S dont ( didnt ) recognize my school system. it made little or no difference as to whether i got an 85 or a 95 overall, and admissions are given out before our final exams have even finished ( where I come from final exams mean everything, it doesnt really matter what happened in the rest of the year, so students anyways tend to slack off during the year). Unfortunately colleges cant accept students simply based on essays, recommendations, and ECA's.
I went tutoring for ACTs and SATs and they are a waste of money... it barely moved my SAT score and the highest I ever got on the ACT is a 23-24. It's better just to study with a book since it's alot cheaper, but it requires concentration and discipline .