AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-29, 02:48   Link #101
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratler View Post
Ok my turn to ask something that I feel I should already know^^

What is the ranking system in the TSAB I have looked at all of the (USA) military branches and it seams to be a combination of them but not in order. A little help would be appreciated^^

Links, lists, or anything at all thanks
It's very similar to the JSDF ranks.
Wikipedia
Old 2007-05-29, 02:55   Link #102
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Well, you have to realize that the TSAB has both land, air and naval forces (naval being spaceships in this case).

A good wiki with ranks should be this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General the table on the right has common military rankings.

According to this, the TSAB seems to follow the navy ranking system, though this does create confusion with Hayate's ranking as commander.
Old 2007-05-29, 03:02   Link #103
Skane
Anime Snark

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Well, you have to realize that the TSAB has both land, air and naval forces (naval being spaceships in this case).

A good wiki with ranks should be this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General the table on the right has common military rankings.

According to this, the TSAB seems to follow the navy ranking system, though this does create confusion with Hayate's ranking as commander.
Why? The Land Forces acknowledge her as a LTC, which is the direct counterpart to the Navy's Commander.

Cheers.
Old 2007-05-29, 03:33   Link #104
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Keroko, you've answered the question yourself

The TSAB has Land, Air and Naval division.

Hayate's in the Land division, hence her rank is "Lt. Colonel", following the Army...

Chrono, who is in the Naval division, has the rank "Admiral", following the Navy...

And Nanoha, who was in the Air division, has the rank "Captain"... (Though 'Captain' is kinda found in all 3 ...)

...Following the Air Force...
Old 2007-05-29, 04:44   Link #105
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Why? The Land Forces acknowledge her as a LTC, which is the direct counterpart to the Navy's Commander.

Cheers.
Which is the confusion, in the navy Captain is higher then commander. If we asume that RF 6 uses navy ranks (as they do call her commander, I believe) then Nanoha and Fate would outrank her. However, if they would use land/air forces ranks, she would be a lieutenent-colonel instead of a commander.

That is my confusion.
Old 2007-05-29, 05:29   Link #106
Ottocycle

Hayate definitely outranks Nanoha and Fate, as the TSAB uses land forces' ranks as far as we've heard in the series, Admiral aside, which means we'll just need to use the centre section of the table provided in the wiki you gave.
Old 2007-05-29, 06:05   Link #107
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Okay, I double checked the translation of Hayate's rank, which is 'butaicho', and the literal translation I got was 'commanding officer', not commander. Now, I'm no genius on military rankings, but doesn't this mean that Hayate could technically be any rank, which makes the ground/air forces rank of lt. colonel the most likely choice.

Thanks for the help, that's what I get when I trust fansubs a bit too much.
Old 2007-05-29, 06:40   Link #108
Ottocycle

Well, there's always the official site with its biodata page, which explicitly states her appointment/rank as Commander of RF6/Lieutenant Colonel

Exact text: 機動六課部課長/陸上二佐
Old 2007-05-29, 06:47   Link #109
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

That settles that then. Thanks, my computer here does not suport kanji, so I had no way of checking.
Old 2007-05-29, 06:58   Link #110
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Sigh

They're using the Army's ranking because Hayate's with the ground forces...
Old 2007-05-30, 17:36   Link #111
Fuyu no Sora
Mistress of Impatience

Location: In a place of extremes. From below freezing to above boiling.
Here's a question (Now that we're talking about military ranks and all): Anyone know exactly what Fate's TSAB Rank is? I know Nanoha is Flight Lieutenant, Hayate is Lieutenant-Colonel and Fate is Enforcer. Now, what would be the equivalent of an Enforcer? A Lieutenant Junior Grade? (Navy of course)
Old 2007-05-30, 18:03   Link #112
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyu no Sora View Post
Here's a question (Now that we're talking about military ranks and all): Anyone know exactly what Fate's TSAB Rank is? I know Nanoha is Flight Lieutenant, Hayate is Lieutenant-Colonel and Fate is Enforcer. Now, what would be the equivalent of an Enforcer? A Lieutenant Junior Grade? (Navy of course)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoha.com
武装隊では一尉扱い
Treated as a Captain (NATO OF-2) in the armed forces.

It probably makes more sense to also call Nanoha a Captain (一等空尉, 1st class air officer) to follow JSDF ranks, rather than Commonwealth ranks... they are equivalent ranks, but calling her a Lieutenant can make her sound lower ranking than she really is.
Old 2007-05-30, 18:06   Link #113
Fuyu no Sora
Mistress of Impatience

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkirk View Post
Treated as a Captain (NATO OF-2) in the armed forces.

It probably makes more sense to also call Nanoha a Captain (一等空尉, 1st class air officer) to follow JSDF ranks, rather than Commonwealth ranks... they are equivalent ranks, but calling her a Lieutenant can make her sound lower ranking than she really is.
Oh, Thanks. I did follow the JSDF, that's why I reffered to Fate as Lieutenent Junior Grade (Equivalent of First Flight Lieutenant ^^)

Thanks a lot!
Old 2007-05-30, 20:12   Link #114
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

Translation of all of the non-paragraph data from nanoha.com. I'm not quite bored enough to do the paragraphs yet . Haven't done the new antagonist updates yet either.

Thumbnail:

(Disclaimer: Translations are subjective, so take this with a grain of salt)

Edit: V2 to fix some formatting errors, and make it easier to read.

Last edited by selkirk; 2007-05-30 at 20:41.
Old 2007-05-30, 20:19   Link #115
Fuyu no Sora
Mistress of Impatience

Quote:
Translation of all of the non-paragraph data from nanoha.com. I'm not quite bored enough to do the paragraphs yet . Haven't done the new antagonist updates yet either.

Thumbnail:
Whoa! OO! Thanks! This is really helpful
Old 2007-05-30, 20:27   Link #116
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

This is interesting...

"Belka Self-governed Region"
Old 2007-05-31, 01:20   Link #117
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:

Thumbnail:

Edit: V2 to fix some formatting errors, and make it easier to read.
This'll come in handy for future reference, and also the OC thread Our deepest gratitudes

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2007-05-31, 03:43   Link #118
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
This is interesting...

"Belka Self-governed Region"
I translated the chinese subs, during epi 4 or 5 I think went they flashed a scene of the Grand Church, to mean Self Administrated Region, therefore I've been using Belka SAR for short, and placing the area in the same league as Hong Kong now.

So here's my question: Does Self Governed Region = Self Administrated Region?
Old 2007-05-31, 04:18   Link #119
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
I translated the chinese subs, during epi 4 or 5 I think went they flashed a scene of the Grand Church, to mean Self Administrated Region, therefore I've been using Belka SAR for short, and placing the area in the same league as Hong Kong now.

So here's my question: Does Self Governed Region = Self Administrated Region?
Considering Velka have their own millitary, I would say so. It would certainly relieve pressure from the TSAB if other organisations would patrol their own regions.
Old 2007-05-31, 07:04   Link #120
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Considering Velka have their own millitary, I would say so. It would certainly relieve pressure from the TSAB if other organisations would patrol their own regions.
They have their own military?

You mean the knights?
Closed Thread