AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-03-28, 20:42   Link #1
Catafriggm

Tekkaman Blade (TV and OVA)

I've been looking online, but I'm finding highly contradictory information as to the status of the 1992 anime Tekkaman Blade. I know that the first season aired on UPN in 1994 or 95, under the Saban label (see http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...ime.php?id=755), with the altered name Teknoman. However, that translation was never available for sale in any medium, and the second season never aired at all. Tekkaman Blade II (the OVAs which are a sequel to the anime series) has since been licensed by Urban Vision (see http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...ime.php?id=756).

However, the fate of Tekkaman Blade is unclear, as most (if not nearly all) anime sites and license lists, including http://www.animesuki.com/doc.php/licensed/list.html, http://www.animeondvd.com/licenselist/, and http://www.animenfo.com/, claim the series to be unlicensed. Has the license expired? Did the Saban license only apply to the Teknoman name? Does anybody have any definite information?
Catafriggm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-29, 00:09   Link #2
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

if you see it on TV, it's licensed
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-29, 00:59   Link #3
Catafriggm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuven
if you see it on TV, it's licensed
And thus the biggest question mark: why doesn't anybody else know that?
Old 2004-03-29, 01:22   Link #4
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!

Actually, I believe Teknoman was released as a set of VHS tapes. A member of my Anime clubs claims to have them.
Slade xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-29, 01:34   Link #5
Catafriggm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade xTekno
Actually, I believe Teknoman was released as a set of VHS tapes. A member of my Anime clubs claims to have them.
Do let me know if you come upon proof (not rumors) that this is true. Because I have yet to find one source that says this.
Old 2004-03-29, 01:36   Link #6
JustAnotherFan
/(bb|[^b]{2})/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catafriggm
However, the fate of Tekkaman Blade is unclear, as most (if not nearly all) anime sites and license lists, including http://www.animesuki.com/doc.php/licensed/list.html, http://www.animeondvd.com/licenselist/, and http://www.animenfo.com/, claim the series to be unlicensed.
This is a (common?) misconception. Not being listed on the Animesuki license list or AOD/GHLL does tell you exactly nothing.

To quote the preface of AnimeSukis license list:
Quote:
This list is not designed to be a comprehensive list of all licensed anime.
While AOD might be more complete (as stated in the next sentence) they still fail especially on old series.

All those lists can only provide one information: If it's listed, it's licensed in the eye of the creator of that list. If it's not listed: go search somewhere else.
JustAnotherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-29, 01:43   Link #7
Catafriggm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherFan
All those lists can only provide one information: If it's listed, it's licensed in the eye of the creator of that list. If it's not listed: go search somewhere else.
Okay, since you seem to be more familiar with the industry than me, perhaps you could recommend some reliable sources (particularly ones who would know about license expirations)?
Old 2004-03-29, 01:58   Link #8
JustAnotherFan
/(bb|[^b]{2})/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catafriggm
Okay, since you seem to be more familiar with the industry than me, perhaps you could recommend some reliable sources (particularly ones who would know about license expirations)?
Unfortunately this is no easy or straighforward process. Once you find one reliable source claiming it is licensed, it should be considered licensed.

This is where we are now.

Then you want to prove it is not licensed (anymore).
  • www.google.com. There is no guide, sorry. Find something that questions that license, for example the company who owned the license is dead without successor.
  • Write them an email and simply ask
  • ...be creative...
JustAnotherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-29, 04:39   Link #9
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

To reinforce this - the AoD GHLL only lists licenses reported since the list's creation. It is not a complete list.

If it aired on TV, consider it licensed until proven otherwise.

As far as I know, Saban is still sitting on it as we speak.
Old 2004-04-08, 12:10   Link #10
Hisoka Hajime
City Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Hisoka Hajime
No one really knows for sure if it's still license from old days or not. I really hope that Saban doesn't still have it. I'd really like to see it get licensed by someone like Bandai and have a nice DVD release. I remember hearing in the past that there was a big reason why it isn't coming out and Saban may very well be that reason. We'll have to wait and see. Maybe Tekkaman Blade will be in our hands in like 7 years.
Hisoka Hajime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-08, 12:15   Link #11
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Bandai still has plenty of licenses that they are sitting on, they don't more.

/me wants Eatman '99!
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-08, 12:22   Link #12
Hisoka Hajime
City Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
Bandai still has plenty of licenses that they are sitting on, they don't more.

/me wants Eatman '99!
It's sad, but things aren't looking good for the Eatman world. Eatman 98 gets discontinued and Eatman never even hit DVD.

And about Tekkaman, any major company would do. I wouldn't really care at this point
Old 2004-04-08, 12:24   Link #13
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

That and Viz dropping the Eatman manga at volume two...

It would be nice if Tekkaman would get a proper release... or any release at all.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-08, 12:40   Link #14
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
That and Viz dropping the Eatman manga at volume two...

It would be nice if Tekkaman would get a proper release... or any release at all.
Actually there is a fansub group doing Tekkaman Blade. They recently released ep.36. They also sell DVD versions of their fansubs.

(I'm not naming that group here for obvious reasons...)
a_nevels666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-08, 14:41   Link #15
Hisoka Hajime
City Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_nevels666
Actually there is a fansub group doing Tekkaman Blade. They recently released ep.36. They also sell DVD versions of their fansubs.

(I'm not naming that group here for obvious reasons...)
There are two groups doing Tekkaman Blade. The group you are talking about is the better of the two groups. The other group is still on the early eps and are just using HK's and replacing a word every here and there. Sure fansubs are great, but there is nothing quite like a good DVD release.
Old 2004-04-13, 14:24   Link #16
UchihaNick
Peacemaker

the chance of tekkaman getting released on dvd is as big as a ant who got squished

seems unfair, a butt series like dbz IS on dvd and the best ever isnt..

pisses me of to no end

and those subbers, it is to bad they make packs like 1 till 8, why not every episode single?

( if this is the case, plz contact me )
UchihaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-05, 22:45   Link #17
ShadowGuyver

All I know is that Naruto must defeat Sasuke to become Hokage.
ShadowGuyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-06, 11:25   Link #18
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

It's a safe assumption that the license for Tekkaman Blade was given up since Saban (or whoever had it) has done nothing in regards to it for over 10 years now. Just because it WAS licensed does not mean it can't or hasn't already been "un-"licensed.

I worked on Tekkaman Blade back around mid-early 2k but eventually just flat-out stopped doing it due to lack of interest from others and poor quality raws. When the great fansubber flood to Enterthegame occurred way back when, there was a huge crackdown on anything that could possibly be licensed and we also gave it up because of that. Didn't want to give up our channels that had been our home for almost a year before that flood of fansubbers.

The group that was mentioned above is VERY good (the one on episode 36). I highly endorse their work if you ever want to see the series again (and you should, it's excellent =b).
Shouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 23:34   Link #19
guyverfanboy

Media Blasters will be releasing the first of three sets of the English dubbed Teknoman on May 30. Each set will be 14-15 episodes and will be "budget priced" at $59.95 (an average of $4.28 per episode).

Teknoman will be the Saban dubbed and edited TV broadcast version of the 1990s. A total of 43 English episodes exist and will be released by Media Blasters.

Due to the editing of the English language version, it wasn't possible for Media Blasters to release a subbed and dubbed version with the same video, so they will be releasing an uncut, sub only Tekkaman Blade later in 2006.

The Tekkaman Blade release will will be a special edition release with remastered video and all the extras from the Japanese LD and DVD sets.

There are 49 Japanese episodes, all of which will be released by Media Blasters.

ANN
guyverfanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 15:02   Link #20
twh
Something or other...

I just got the news last night and I wasn't even aware that Media Blasters was even doing it!

For almost twelve years, I've waitied for this news.

Well, not really, but still, I was pretty stoked to hear this.
twh is offline   Reply With Quote