AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-05-02, 14:24   Link #321
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I'm still trying to learn everyone's names. I'm no good with names and faces...

I can agree with some others when they say they don't like Chizuru. It's not like I hate or anything, but she hasn't exactly caught my interest. Even the whole possibility of demon blood or whatever, hasn't picked my curiosity. Well, it's only been three episodes. Hopefully, there's more focus on her and all the Shinsengumi absolutely fawning her over starts to become a little more justified.

Last edited by Haak; 2010-05-02 at 14:37.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-02, 15:17   Link #322
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Well, this isn't a true historical retelling. It's a fantasy title based around a few historical events as a backdrop. Just enjoy the ride if you can. I'm betting that Hiji's the main route.
Yes, the anime makes it beyond obvious that Hiji's the main route which is why i dislike this depiction of him even more and also the reason I haven't been able to appreciate Chizuru as much. What sucks about an anime like this is the fact that there is just too little time but too many (supposedly, not yet proven by the anime but by reputation) awesome characters, and they choose to make it obvious that there is going to be some romance between two characters but as others have pointed out, both the characters have yet to catch the eye lol.

Spoiler:

But yeah, I guess I should restrict my complaints to within the universe of the show. Well, that won't suffice though, because this anime assumes a back knowledge about the Shinsengumi for the viewer to be able to appreciate it, hardly any character introduction and lack of development is evidence. Regardless, like I said, I don't like the overly bisho designs of Hiji, Okita and a few others. I don't like the overly generic dialogue and actions from most of the characters. Its like the show is trying to focus on everyone and maintain true to their popular image to some extent but also wants to get along with its own plot. Kinda stalls itself imo. The best part about the show is probably the action but even that isn't really all that impressive. If it weren't the fact that this show was about Shinsengumi and the fact that there were very few anime that dealt with this era in recent history, I probably wouldn't be watching this piece of crap tbh. Or maybe I would, just to see how the Shinsengumi would look from an Otome perspective.
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-02, 17:01   Link #323
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

@Haak, Yeah same here, I too am still not confident of associating names with faces . Kaoru Chujo link did immensely help but still is hard .

@Forsaken_Infinity, Regarding Hijikata I despise him too, but NOT with resp to this series . Thanks to Gintama , though depiction is fictional

Spoiler for Gintama:

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
With all the Saito pics, they are prob a "few" *sarcasm* who favor Saito over Hiji. I'm firmly in the Hiji camp. The hair, that voice, his design. Go Hiji! :
Simple solution a reverse Ménage à Trois ? .

Though if you ask me a Japanese Style GangBang, would be much better . That way everyone's get to be happy : O
Old 2010-05-02, 22:24   Link #324
MikaMiaka
I like guavas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu Ra View Post

Simple solution a reverse Ménage à Trois ? .

Though if you ask me a Japanese Style GangBang, would be much better . That way everyone's get to be happy : O
@__@! LOL.

I don't really see how people can "dislike" Chi. I can understand if you don't feel anything for her, though. She's cute and I like her grateful reactions, but aside from that, she's a blank canvas of a girl, like all Otome girls are. So I guess I can see the dislike of this trend, I suppose, or the dislike of the fact that she is nothing but a blank canvas. The player is supposed to infuse her personality into these girls because that's the purpose of these games. Simply said, she doesn't really have much of a personality besides being kind to everyone, doing what she is told, and helping where she can. But I don't know how you're supposed to have a personality sometimes -- are you just supposed to be fiery? Will that do it? But we would just call that cliche too, so hard to say. But it does get done, though. We saw this with Michiko and Hatchin, that's one that comes to mind. But the nuances of character isn't why this type of show is made. It's made so we can see a bunch of good looking men fall for an innocent likable female that could be anyone in the audience.

Spoiler for Epi 5 Raw:
MikaMiaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-02, 23:21   Link #325
OkamiNoKaze

Episode 4 was really good. Got to see a couple new characters, and learned something about Chizuru, she appears to heal fast, hmm.
Old 2010-05-02, 23:37   Link #326
Light of Salvation

Can't wait for the next episode.... ^_^ I love this series very much... remembering me 'bout Samurai X.
Light of Salvation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-03, 00:47   Link #327
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It'd interesting - they say "the winning side writes history" but its clear that the Shinsengumi are the ones that captured the Japanese imagination. With the notable exception of Rurouni Kenshin, which revolved around the pro-Emperor forces and painted the Shinsengumi (mostly) as villains, the vast majority of early Meiji fiction seems to revolve around the larger-than-life Shinsengumi.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-03, 08:10   Link #328
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Episode 4

It was fun to see Sannan slightly relaxed and casual . The reason is we again got to hear Nobuo Tobita's back to his orgasmic way . The beauty of Tobita is , even if he says something ordinary . His voice makes it sounds mischievous and so wrong .

Moving on good to see some new females in the mix but I don't have problems with Chiruzu though . It was nice to see how Chiruzu was trying to be part of the group one with the guy . The scene where Chiruzu is forcing herself to say awake and failing came out awfully cute . Between a little confused who is the Ninja (Yamazaki) admist them ? havent seen this fella before . Harada was really cool this episode loved his spear play and general arrogance . Good to see the red Eyed antagonist again aha now I get it the title of this series has something to do with him . What does Hakuouki mean ? and he was impressive as ever .
Old 2010-05-03, 19:00   Link #329
Haladflire65
*Artist

Spoiler for Episode 5:

And damn, Hijikata's awesome
Old 2010-05-03, 19:33   Link #330
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
It'd interesting - they say "the winning side writes history" but its clear that the Shinsengumi are the ones that captured the Japanese imagination. With the notable exception of Rurouni Kenshin, which revolved around the pro-Emperor forces and painted the Shinsengumi (mostly) as villains, the vast majority of early Meiji fiction seems to revolve around the larger-than-life Shinsengumi.
RK didn't really paint Shinsengumi as villain. The whole purpose of the show was to show the nonsensical nature of violence. Kenshin himself is neither a good nor an evil character, according to the mangaka himself. I think the series made it pretty obvious that there was no good guy or bad guy through all that crap about Shishio's perspective etc. It only condemns violence and any sort of killing.

Shinsengumi have captured the Japanese imagination indeed. Primarily because they were just a bunch of nobodies who made a name for themselves. To the people of a nation that were just being freed from centuries of hereditary crap, the Shinsengumi must have been great role-models. Shows even now.

Also, there are many other examples of the loser's side capturing imagination. Off the top of my head, Troy, Shu, Wu, Carthage (primarily Hannibal), Athens, Egypt (Cleopatra), Hebrews etc. etc. The loser always appears larger than life, perhaps because the winner tries to hard to paint a bad picture of the loser. I mean, as a personality, Hitler is way more interesting than anyone else during Second World War...
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-04, 01:24   Link #331
Joojoobees

Quote:
Between a little confused who is the Ninja (Yamazaki) admist them ? havent seen this fella before .
Yamazaki was introduced back in episode 2:
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-04, 01:31   Link #332
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
Yamazaki was introduced back in episode 2:
Bad memory have a feint recollection of him . During the first two episodes was trying to figure out the main cast itself (face to name) .

Thanks for pointing that out and will trouble you with one more Q : Was he shown as a shinobi when introduced ? . In the picture he is without a mask

I am using my laptop and episodes are on PC too lazy to switch on ^^
Old 2010-05-04, 02:41   Link #333
Joojoobees

Quote:
Q : Was he shown as a shinobi when introduced ? . In the picture he is without a mask
No he was originally in disguise. He was staking out the storefront where they caught the Choshu spy (prior to Ikedaya).
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-05, 13:16   Link #334
Amalia

Send a message via MSN to Amalia
Yep I am not tha fond of Hijikata either. He seems indifferent to me...If he is indeed the main, main hero then I think that he is a failure...On the other hand I keep saving the Saito-images....
Old 2010-05-05, 13:31   Link #335
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Episode 5

Aaaaaaaaaaand, Sannan's demonification in five...four...three...two..-(Chizuru, couldn't you have put in a better fight than that?)...ONE!

Nothing much happens, for most of the episode except for that. Itou's bitchyness didn't quite come off as serious since I watched episode 5 of Arakawa Under The Bridge earlier. Honestly it came across as more of a narm than anything else.
Old 2010-05-05, 14:00   Link #336
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Sannan has always came across as a bit creepy, and thanks to that the last scene of this weeks episode really had me on edge. Shame he went down this path, though i guess at the end of the day it had to happen to further the plot. Especially with Chizuru finding out about her Father's work.

& yeah i don't like Itou, though that's the point.
Old 2010-05-05, 18:13   Link #337
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalia View Post
Yep I am not tha fond of Hijikata either. He seems indifferent to me...If he is indeed the main, main hero then I think that he is a failure...On the other hand I keep saving the Saito-images....
I like Toshi a lot. He's the pretty typical leader type who looks indifferent but actually cares deep down. I think we can tell with his interaction with Chizuru. In terms of looks, he's also my favourite, along with Saito-kun

.... and Miki Shinichirou's brilliant...

Speaking of Saito... I'll post a wallpaper I found today....

Does anyone have any Hijikata wallpapers?
Old 2010-05-06, 05:47   Link #338
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Oh yea cliffhanger. Episode 6 will probably result in one of three possible outcomes for Sannan-san:

1. Chizuru cuts him down.
2. Someone else (Okita?) cuts him down.
3. Chizuru's ability/blood happens to be the cure to the side effect and they manage to heal him.

I'm banking on the third option, even though it's pretty plot-convenient.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-06, 08:41   Link #339
kitten320

I'm more for number 2 and 3 even though I kinda like him... it just would make plot more interesting. Though by preview it more lookslike choice 3...
Old 2010-05-06, 09:24   Link #340
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I'm banking on the third option, even though it's pretty plot-convenient
Yeah, awfully convenient. I'm hoping they actually try but fail. I've been looking up Sannan on Shinsengumi history but for some reason, his real name is different. Why is that?:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamanami_Keisuke

Tags
edo setting, josei, otome, shinsengumi