AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Guilty Crown

Notices

View Poll Results: Guilty Crown - Episode 21 Rating
Perfect 10 18 24.66%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 11 15.07%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 34.25%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 12.33%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 4.11%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 4.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 2.74%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.37%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.37%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-15, 22:07   Link #41
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
This episode felt rushed i enjoyed it but i could have also picked it to pieces. However, so very interesting things became visible.

1.It seems Daarth has always existed and is responsible for either watching over or pushing humanity to evolve. I have z feeling that Daarth is not real being but a collection of several carrying out one will. To evolve humanity when the time is right and by the best means possible. I also think that everything that has happen is a test for mankind.

2.Ayase only let Shuu borrow her heart she didnt give it too him. Could have fooled me cause damn girl you were blushing hardcore. The amount of new Shuu x Ayase shippers went through the roof.

3.Darryl really they gave him a big fucking robot for the final battle. Now thats original. His only purpose is to settle the score with funeral Parlor because he was tired of getting his ass kicked by Voids.

4. Shu has learned how to combined Voids to make new weapons. The weapon he created when he fought Daarth absorbed the energy that was shot at him amplified it and he sent it back. It must have been something big because not only did Daarth give up. Hes leaving Shu alone to see if he can change fate.

5. That admiral was kick ass even after getting hit by Gais 9999999 HP attack and being covered in Crystal he was still barking orders

6 Haruka is most def going to be the one that kills her brother.

7 Mana is back and Inori is gone for now. However we never heard Mana say she accepted Gai as the true king. As far as i know she still has not given up on Shuu being her Adam. It will be interesting to see her powers and if she will fight with Gai to kill Shu or just let them go at it.

8 Gai excuse for doing all of this was childish. To me it seems he never grew out of that jealous phase and decided destroying the world to get the girl was the best choice of action im calling that lame.

preview seems to hint at either Shu dying or everyone dying. All i know is im sticking to my guns if they kill Shu this series gets no higher than 5 from me. Especially with how they rushed this. But i am anxious for some closer.
Old 2012-03-15, 22:10   Link #42
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

This one feel a little rushed
Old 2012-03-15, 22:30   Link #43
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

I know Shu's just a highschool kid and all but really a segway?

Way to make a epic uncool entrance....

Anyway, this ep kinda throws things at us and well it's def gonna feel rushed alot more than I previously thought before this ep.

Ayase's little moment was nice, she's the only girl I like besides crazy Mana which btw I really hope she isn't another trained dog here and goes against the grain.
I love when the "evil big bad brought back from the dead" ends up throwing a spanner in the plans of the other "bad guys"

And look, the coolest guy in GC has appeared!

Spoiler for Awesome dude:
Old 2012-03-15, 22:44   Link #44
bevan
Knight of Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
This episode felt rushed i enjoyed it but i could have also picked it to pieces. However, so very interesting things became visible.

1.It seems Daarth has always existed and is responsible for either watching over or pushing humanity to evolve. I have z feeling that Daarth is not real being but a collection of several carrying out one will. To evolve humanity when the time is right and by the best means possible. I also think that everything that has happen is a test for mankind.
similar to E*a's instrumentality project eh? with SE*LE and whatnot

Episode felt a little rushed in the first half, fight scene was decent. Could've sworn Shu shouted Kamehameha while shooting the ball of badass.
Old 2012-03-15, 22:47   Link #45
Team Rocket Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavoryFantasy View Post
As for Shu vs Da'ath... why did the voids being pulled out come in pairs? The deadly whips(?), swords, and whatever else. I thought people's voids are just 1 item, Ayase's makes sense since it's for both her legs.
Or is that just a bonus ability from Yuu's void genome?
I'm assuming Yu hand picked the people in that room for good Voids to use. I think they are just normally pairs. For example Ayase's Void is a pair of jet boots. I guess having just one jet boot wouldn't make sense but it's still a pair.
Old 2012-03-15, 23:10   Link #46
dark998

Very good episode except for the ending, would have preferred if Mana didn't came back because now things get extremely tough for Shu with only one episode left.

Liked a lot the scene when Inori confesses her feelings while the Everlasting GC piano version played in the background, she really illuminates the screen with her beauty and presence. And like-wise when Shu confronts Yuu, void user vs void user resulted as good as expected.

Preview this time spoils even less than usual and for a good reason too. The key to defeat Eve and recover Inori will be getting rid of Adam first.
Old 2012-03-16, 01:17   Link #47
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Eclosion <Emergence>

In six days, Shuu and Gai and Inori/Mana intertwined tales will be settled.

First of all, I dislike the idea that the writers after going with too much long-winded subplots at every direction they chose to make Mana sort of the final boss, or at least the Mother of all Infections.

Probably, destroying Gai or Shu literally stripping Gai off his King's power will hold the key of sorts to prevent Mana to initiate the coming of the third humanity.

I use those biblical terms given how this series uses them as analogies to compliment the scientific terms of evolution and selection.

Given how Adam was the father of the first mankind, then followed by Noah becoming the father of the second mankind (the current humanity), Gai chose to be by Mana's side, hence, initiating the coming Apocalypse that will be followed by the coming of the third mankind.

As far as the episode goes, Shu vs Yuu was ok. I didn't feel the fight outstretched or rushed. Shu at the end manages to defeat Yuu due to his heart understanding and knowing of Inori's true heart, which isn't a fake as everybody else, particularly Mana, claims so.
Yuu's defeat was just a defeat and not a death in a sense of a big loss for Daath, but he acknowledged Shuu's foolishness to try to stop the fate from fulfilling.

Now, as many of you posted, I do agree that Inori's song delivered a touching drama scene. Her thanking Gai for letting her meet Shu, and her coming to understand Shu's heart better than anyone else not only made her more human but more beautiful and innocent from the inside.

As for Mana's reborned form through Inori, well I wasn't expecting a sort of a Giant Rei sprouting from the cocoon, but for a wild touch to let my imagination running I was hoping she would have sprouted crystal, butterfly wings from her back to keep more in touch with the themes of change and evolution literally.

So from here on towards the end where does the story goes.....

1) I will love to witness Shuichirou's death at the hands of Haruka. Honestly, the guy's lame and flat, and all he has been doing during the series run is nothing but playing the spectator from the sidelines at the top of his peak, and stargazing the evolution to come from the Apocalypse virus.

2) Well, Darryl as being annoying to me for most of the series scored some points up, since he replies to the lieutenant he's intending to choose how he's going to die, so I would be expecting a brief but satisfactory fight to the death against Ayase.
Maybe he could survive, if Tsugumi interferes or saves his life.

3) If I connect the little flower bloomed from Inori's last tear before she was consumed by Mana and that particular shot in the opening where Inori embraces Shuu as they're about to be consumed by the Virus but....
Spoiler:
Old 2012-03-16, 01:32   Link #48
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Was anyone else waiting for Da'ath Vader to tell Shu he was his father?
Old 2012-03-16, 03:19   Link #49
Aesthetic Shampoo

I absolutely cannot wait for this show to end. After watching this, any anime will be good in my eyes.

This episode turned the burst pretentious scale into million pieces, i swear. Not the first time in the series, but this episode really pished it...."Eve", "Adam", and that apple...i wouldn't mind if they did something meaningful with it, but it's like they just throw it in there to make it sound cool and meaningful.

Void powers are now hacks and you can do whatever you want with them. Also, a whole bunch of nameless, faceless people are around so you can try to pimp your character fights to look as cool as you think they do in your head!

I can't imagine why it was hard to fight that eyebrow kid, especially since he looked like he was in an anti gravity zone all the time...he was so slow and Shu just waited for him to attack so he could block. I don't know if that was meant to make him stronger in some way, but if it was then i completely missed it.

And yeah...Hare to the Shu speech. That was mean.
Old 2012-03-16, 04:35   Link #50
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

unwhelmed but still like this series

As this series is coming to an end, I feel disappointed. The ending is being rushed. It's less rushed and more cohesive than Code Geas: R2 but I could have been done better. I wasn't particularly happy about how R2 jammed so a seasons worth of material into a couple of episodes.

I have no idea how they're going to have a final battle and explain what went on in 22 minutes.

Is the last episode an 48 minutes to an hour?

The fight between Daath and Shu was extremely short.

Gotta wait another week. Good episode, even if rushed. It make me wonder how some of these series get planned or written. So much filler in the middle but the ending is sort of rushed... the good parts.
Old 2012-03-16, 05:03   Link #51
FlavoryFantasy
♪~Deculture~♪ (✿◠‿◠)

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Shu: "Inori was the only one that believed in me and stood by my side!"
Me: "HAREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Does three people falling on their heads count? You know you're about to lose consciousness, wouldn't you sit down? lol.
That wouldn't count as a drawback at all!
Arisa: "For Gai...!"
Yuu: "This is all for Da'ath!"
Gravity kid: "Yay destruction!"

Quote:
He pulled it out of two people? Maybe he just used their "Void Essence" to make custom weapons? Again, no rules.
Hmm I guess that works.
Old 2012-03-16, 05:42   Link #52
Sixth
Hu Tao

It seems that Shu changed Ayase more than Gai did.

Ayase in the past: I can do it myself...Go away
Current Ayase: Can you please help me?
Old 2012-03-16, 09:53   Link #53
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
For sheer style and pizazz alone, Guilty Crown is almost unparalleled amongst TV anime shows. And this isn't simply a function of high production values alone, although that is certainly a part of it.

Guilty Crown's overall aesthetics is also a big part of it. The character designs, the military uniforms, the plug-suits, the mecha designs, the Void designs, and now Mana's latest appearance (more on that later) are all wondrously cool, colorful, crisp. They're also often sleek and sexy without seeming obnoxiously in-your-face. There's also a vague realism to it all that just makes it come across that much better, imo.

Then there's Guilty Crown's BGM, which is often good, and was truly top-notch in this episode.

Guilty Crown has a superb sense of style and modern charm. With its conclusion now only a week away, this is something that should be said.

And, in its 2nd half at least, Guilty Crown is usually interesting. As I wrote last week, the overall plot concept behind this anime is probably very good, if not excellent. Also, I've really come to like the Apocalypse Virus/Void concept and plot devices, and how they're been utilized to their maximum effectiveness by this anime. They've really helped to craft a nice and distinct identity for this show.

But (and I'm sure everybody reading this figured that a 'but' was coming ) I've never seen an anime show that would have benefited more from a good, strong editor than this one would have. That's Guilty Crown's chief weakness, a frequent lack of attention to detail that leaves things feeling rushed and/or unexplained.

In this episode, the primary victim of this is Yuu and Da'ath. Given the importance of Yuu's role in this episode, his character - and the nature of Da'ath - probably should have been explained better. It does take away a bit from the emotional impact of an otherwise excellent penultimate fight scene between Shu and Yuu (complete with some of the best OST music I've heard in anime).

Still, if the viewer is willing to look past some logical inconsistencies, possible plot holes, and general all-around "ass-pulls", there's a lot to like in this anime. It has simply superb directing, as important shots are framed excellently and typically with ideal composition. Examples of this abound in this episode, such as the well-timed close face-up shots on Inori, Ayase, Tsugumi, Daryl, Shu, and Yuu during key scenes. This show has a keen sense of dramatic timing, and of the art of holding the viewer in suspense. There's a thrilling intensity to many scenes that paves the way for the picture perfect synthesis of action and drama, fitting given how voids are now being synthesized to form ever more bold and impressive-looking weapons.

It's a shame that Guilty Crown isn't wrote a bit more tightly, because almost everything else about this anime comes across very well, imo.

One such thing in this episode is Mana's character design. She's basically designed like a dark/pink magical girl, perhaps the one and only anime genre this anime had yet to borrow off from. With Mana now looking like a gorgeous dark/pink magical girl, this anime has put the finishing touches on its awesome anime aesthetics. GC is consistently a treat for the eyes.

Is it rushed? Yes, and it can be pretty sloppy in places.

But given how good it is in other areas, it's hard for me to care.

8/10 for Episode 21. I eagerly await the finale.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-03-16 at 11:32.
Old 2012-03-16, 10:08   Link #54
yourfriendrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnythesun View Post
..."Eve", "Adam", and that apple.....
And yeah...Hare to the Shu speech. That was mean.
Was anyone else reminded of Bioshock?

Bioshock has been out for a long time, I think the writers must have been playing it while drafting the scripts.

And about Hare, well,
Spoiler:

I suppose this show could be called Goofy Crud.
Old 2012-03-16, 11:04   Link #55
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
For sheer style and pizazz alone, Guilty Crown is almost unparalleled amongst TV anime shows. And this isn't simply a function of high production values alone, although that is certainly a part of it.

Guilty Crown's overall aesthetics is also a big part of it. The character designs, the military uniforms, the plug-suits, the mecha designs, the Void designs, and now Mana's latest appearance (more on that later) are all wondrously cool, colorful, crisp. They're also often sleek and sexy without seeming obnoxiously in-your-face. There's also a vague realism to it all that just makes it come across that much better, imo.

Then there's Guilty Crown's BGM, which is often good, and was truly top-notch in this episode.

Guilty Crown has a superb sense of style and modern charm. With its conclusion now only a week away, this is something that should be said.

And, in its 2nd half at least, Guilty Crown is usually interesting. As I wrote last week, the overall plot concept behind this anime is probably very good, if not excellent. Also, I've really come to like the Apocalypse Virus/Void concept and plot devices, and how they're been utilized to their maximum effectiveness by this anime. They're really helped to craft a nice and distinct identity for this show.

But (and I'm sure everybody reading this figured that a 'but' was coming ) I've never seen an anime show that would have benefited more from a good, strong editor than this one would have. That's Guilty Crown's chief weakness, a frequent lack of attention to detail that leaves things feeling rushed and/or unexplained.

In this episode, the primary victim of this is Yuu and Da'ath. Given the important of Yuu's role in this episode, his character - and the nature of Da'ath - probably should have been explained better. It does take away a bit from the emotional impact of an otherwise excellent penultimate fight scene between Shu and Yuu (complete with some of the best OST music I've heard in anime).

Still, if the viewer is willing to look past some logical inconsistencies, possible plot holes, and general all-around "ass-pulls", there's a lot to like in this anime. It has simply superb directing, as important shots are framed excellently and typically with ideal composition. Examples of this abound in this episode, such as the well-timed close face-up shots on Inori, Ayase, Tsugumi, Daryl, Shu, and Yuu during key scenes. This show has a keen sense of dramatic timing, and of the art of holding the viewer in suspense. There's a thrilling intensity to many scenes that paves the way for the picture perfect synthesis of action and drama, fitting given how voids are now being synthesized to form ever more bold and impressive-looking weapons.

It's a shame that Guilty Crown isn't wrote a bit more tightly, because almost everything else about this anime comes across very well, imo.

One such thing in this episode is Mana's character design. She's basically designed like a dark/pink magical girl, perhaps the one and only anime genre this anime had yet to borrow off from. With Mana now looking like a gorgeous dark/pink magical girl, this anime has put the finishing touches on its awesome anime aesthetics. GC is consistently a treat for the eyes.

Is it rushed? Yes, and it can be pretty sloppy in places.

But given how good it is in other areas, it's hard for me to care.

8/10 for Episode 21. I eagerly await the finale.
simply perfect my exact thoughts. I found myself more often than not thinking "what was the editor doing here" "how could the editor not see this scene was weak why would he not rework it." Why would he rush an important scene yet drag a topic on for 2 or 3 episodes that didnt actually mean a lot to the main plot.

Guilty Crowns potential was huge but sheer lack of vision and laziness towards the finer details eats away at it. Causing it to go from a potential epic series to a somewhat good series.
Old 2012-03-16, 12:48   Link #56
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Shu: "Inori was the only one that believed in me and stood by my side!"
Me: "HAREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!"
Friendzoned by Jesus

The fight with Daath was some much-needed void badassery. I was afraid they'd never really get a chance to show off the arsenal like that. The Daath kid himself was great fun to watch in action. Producing an apple to tempt Shu with was eyeroll-worthy, but otherwise I really enjoyed that whole sequence

Shu's Segway of Leadership could have used a little bike bell on the handlebars. riiiing riiing, Step aside, evildoers!

He's turned into quite the little heartbreaker, hasn't he? Although I guess he always was; I mean, his sister apparently wanted to jump him prenatally. Ick. Ayase insists she's just loaning her heart to him, and wants it back, but check those bedroom eyes. I think it's that awesome coat.
Old 2012-03-16, 13:27   Link #57
ookamigirl

Save Inori. Stop Gai.
Simple enough... NOT.
At least they did make some more preparations this time.
Guess that creepy Daath kid had no issues with sacrificing subordinates.
Great episode!

My Blog --> ookami
Old 2012-03-17, 01:47   Link #58
guanin
Jiii~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
HNNNNGH Ayase.

The banter between them was too good to be true. From Ayase asking for Shu's help to shu saying she was perfect to her saying he'd better not die.

Episode felt pretty rushed but besides that I enjoyed it. Btw, nice scooter Shu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkard View Post
Princess carry + telling Ayase she's perfect? The void/heart metaphor was the killing blow for me though
I would just like to say something about Shu calling Ayase "perfect":

I'm not quite so sure that this is what Shu meant. Shu's words were

あやせは[きれい]だよね

Take note of the words inside the bracket. The word is "kirei" which can mean either pretty/lovely/beautiful or clean/tidy/pure. What Shu said can then be either he's calling Ayase pretty, or he's saying she's pure(if you consider what he said after this, how it was his job to get dirty), or it can also be both.

Still, I think most girls would be flattered if you called them either pretty or pure.
Old 2012-03-17, 02:14   Link #59
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Still, if the viewer is willing to look past some logical inconsistencies, possible plot holes, and general all-around "ass-pulls", there's a lot to like in this anime.
I know you're pretty fond of this anime, but I'll note that in the past you've criticized other titles for these issues despite those problems not being nearly as prevalent as they are here. However, if only more people could just simply enjoy things by not being hung up on such quirks....daresay I think the world would be a better place.

All things considered, Guilty Crown isn't terrible. It has great production values and interesting concepts. However what Guilty Crown lacks is strong and consistent direction. It flounders at several key character progression points. It tries to combine too many elements into one story. You have the mech genre stuff. You have the school setting. The "Japan is a warzone" setting. The sci-fi elements with the virus and clones. The generic evil organization that can't control mad scientists and generals yet somehow manages to "almost" win anyway. The idol singer. The "cool guy who isn't the hero but should be". The cat-girl ears, the EVA plug suits. The Rei clone. The "average hero who isn't actually average, but spends most of the story being worthless".

This story would have worked better, imo, if it had toned down the scale and gotten rid of the mech stuff. The virus angle works well, and I think the story is done a disservice by all of the stuff that clutters up the plot: the empire, the rebels, the ridiculous people turn into/sheath weapons stuff, etc. The makings of a good sci-fi/horror ala Parasite Eve were here, but instead the show drowns itself in Frankenstein of otaku pandering and cherry picked elements of previous hallmark anime.

Of course, it would be a very different story, I suppose...but that's exactly why Guilty Crown bothers me so much. Each of these elements, on their own, probably would have made for good anime. Guilty Crown just tries to do too much and succeeds at doing so little with it. Strip away the production values and you're left with something that manages to be worse than the sum of its parts.

Like I said two paragraphs before, I don't think Guilty Crown is a bad watch....but seeing it, and thinking what could have been, it's impossible for me not to feel a bit saddened.
Old 2012-03-17, 03:16   Link #60
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

I think the story would have worked best if done in conjuction with a studio like Bones.

There was some trope abuse in this series but I believe it was done more as filler. I don't think the writer totally got the kinks out of his story and should have had the story cook in his head a bit longer.

The supporting cast outside of the school has very little development. The school scene stuff was lame. Why can't more anime be like Darker than Black and totally skip the "school scene" stuff. Why have a school council setting?

There was a lot of trope abuse and too much filler. It's like he stretched a story out with fluff he had success before. Oh look, they want to play up the connection to Code Geass... let's put the hero in a school.

The story would have worked better with a setting like Durara! He could still be a student but most of the story would outside of it. That would make the indroduction of Funeral Parlor more organic. Not student council stuff at the beginning. He could have still gotten stuck in school but his ascension to leadership would have occurred differently.

The void genome is a cool power. There are similar concepts for "weaponized soul energy" in other anime and manga. Soul Eater, Yu Yu Hakusho, Bleac (the Fullbring), D-Gray Man (Innocence). Instead of Shu creating out of his own life energy, he draws it from others. Astral projection weapon constructs.
Closed Thread