AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-11-08, 21:10   Link #381
LeoXiao
思想工作

I have a driver's licence, but I dread driving and don't really consider myself qualified except maybe to take an automatic out to somewhere I've practiced a lot on. Also, the smaller the car I'm driving, the easier I can pretend it's a bike. Tomorrow I plan to take a stick-shift car to go shopping. It's gonna suck.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 01:59   Link #382
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
Honda guy through and through...never owned anything but Hondas. Also an auto mechanic here...

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 03:58   Link #383
Kaken

Honda's are reliable cars. I've seen the 90s CRX models go above 200k easily.
Kaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 10:17   Link #384
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

I like the looks of Audis. There are also beautiful super cars, but they are utterly impractical. So, the next best thing for me is an Audi A4 or A6.
Old 2013-11-09, 12:16   Link #385
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Speaking of Audis, I always see a white R8 drive around town. The thing is beautiful. I also got a decent look at it while stopped at a red light and noticed that the driver looks about the same age as me, which makes me even more jelly. D:
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 16:32   Link #386
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaken View Post
Honda's are reliable cars. I've seen the 90s CRX models go above 200k easily.
CRXs are nice if you can find one. I'm currently driving a 99 Si coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
I like the looks of Audis. There are also beautiful super cars, but they are utterly impractical. So, the next best thing for me is an Audi A4 or A6.
Enjoy paying the parts bills and the utter unreliability of Audis

Old 2013-11-09, 17:37   Link #387
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Volvofag. Currently driving a 2000 Volvo S70, first car purchase ever. It works just fine, just like a Volvo should, but since it's an older model, the lack of an AUX is terribly annoying. The type of stereo makes it a pain to change, too. But for the price I gave, it's top quality in every other area.

And the difference between an S70 and a -99 Seat Cordoba (which I borrowed for 2 months prior to the Volvo), is hilarious. The former feels like a brick on wheels while the latter is made out of paper.

In a few years, I'll upgrade to a V70. Or, if dreams would come true, a Shelby GT.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 18:59   Link #388
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Speaking of Audis, I always see a white R8 drive around town. The thing is beautiful. I also got a decent look at it while stopped at a red light and noticed that the driver looks about the same age as me, which makes me even more jelly. D:
I talked my boss' brother into trading in his BMW Z4 for an R8
Though I warned him, if he bought the V8 instead of the V10, I'd consider him a loser

...he bought a V8

To throw salt in the wound, when he sold it, he had to take a 50% loss
Old 2013-11-09, 19:04   Link #389
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernFallout View Post
Volvofag. Currently driving a 2000 Volvo S70, first car purchase ever. It works just fine, just like a Volvo should, but since it's an older model, the lack of an AUX is terribly annoying. The type of stereo makes it a pain to change, too. But for the price I gave, it's top quality in every other area.

And the difference between an S70 and a -99 Seat Cordoba (which I borrowed for 2 months prior to the Volvo), is hilarious. The former feels like a brick on wheels while the latter is made out of paper.

In a few years, I'll upgrade to a V70. Or, if dreams would come true, a Shelby GT.
Truth be told, a Cordoba feels like it's made of paper when compared to a paper bag.

S70s are nice though.

Old 2013-11-09, 20:26   Link #390
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightbat® View Post
I talked my boss' brother into trading in his BMW Z4 for an R8
Though I warned him, if he bought the V8 instead of the V10, I'd consider him a loser

...he bought a V8

To throw salt in the wound, when he sold it, he had to take a 50% loss
oh my gaawwwwdd rofl
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 20:34   Link #391
Kaken

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyexpress48 View Post
CRXs are nice if you can find one. I'm currently driving a 99 Si coupe.
Yeah they are rare, but there are few unbeaten ones around my area. I like the CRX hatchback look, same goes for the civic hatchbacks.

@NorthernFallout

Reminded me of Breaking Bad.
Kaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 20:45   Link #392
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

For your drug transport needs, look no further than a V70. So normal the cops won't even look twice!

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 04:39   Link #393
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyexpress48 View Post
Enjoy paying the parts bills and the utter unreliability of Audis
Maybe its just my car, but I didnt have any problems yet (except for a marten bitten coolant hose to the engine that needed to be replaced).

But its true Audi parts are kinda expensive, not as expensive as japanese imports though (here in europe). Many japanese cars are very reliable from what I heard, so more expensive parts do not pose a problem. However, I have yet to find one with appealing looks alround that is not a Lexus LFA.
Old 2014-01-31, 17:24   Link #394
Harry McKenzie
ハリーマケンジ

Send a message via AIM to Harry McKenzie Send a message via MSN to Harry McKenzie
I'm in the market to buy a new car soon and I have a few options to choose from.

2014 Mazda3
2015 VW GTI
2013/14 Scion FR-S (Subaru BRZ)

All those options, at their highest trims, are under $30k. I understand each fulfill different markets, but I'd like some input on them to help me come to a decision. I'm also open to suggestions to other cars similar to those listed.
Harry McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-31, 22:11   Link #395
Lightning_Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
I love R8s. Awesome cars.

Though I also like the Nissan performance line as well...
Old 2014-02-01, 12:01   Link #396
SummeryDreams

Honda Civic 2008-2012 is the only car on my menu.
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-01, 12:57   Link #397
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry McKenzie View Post
I'm in the market to buy a new car soon and I have a few options to choose from.

2014 Mazda3
2015 VW GTI
2013/14 Scion FR-S (Subaru BRZ)

All those options, at their highest trims, are under $30k. I understand each fulfill different markets, but I'd like some input on them to help me come to a decision. I'm also open to suggestions to other cars similar to those listed.
The Mazda 3 is a true outlier in there. I think they don't have a Mazdaspeed version of that one yet.

Those are all lustworthy cars for me. The 3 is the sensible every day choice, the GT86 is the best small rear-wheel driven car currently available (or the only one ) and the GTI is a bonkers front wheel drive machine.

I would probably go for the GT86 because I don't need back seats but the Mazda is a sweet ride. It all depends on what you need.
Old 2014-02-01, 20:48   Link #398
Harry McKenzie
ハリーマケンジ

Send a message via AIM to Harry McKenzie Send a message via MSN to Harry McKenzie
Could you elaborate on your opinion of the GTI? I think I'm leaning more towards a sporty hatch. The Mazda3, as far as appearances go, makes a better sedan than it does hatch, IMO.

Have to admit the GT86 is extremely tempting, but I think I would prefer having the extra utility from a hatch/sedan since it'll be my primary vehicle. I'm a little disappointed, however, the US won't be getting a 2-door option for the GTI...
Old 2014-02-02, 07:01   Link #399
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry McKenzie View Post
Could you elaborate on your opinion of the GTI? I think I'm leaning more towards a sporty hatch. The Mazda3, as far as appearances go, makes a better sedan than it does hatch, IMO.

Have to admit the GT86 is extremely tempting, but I think I would prefer having the extra utility from a hatch/sedan since it'll be my primary vehicle. I'm a little disappointed, however, the US won't be getting a 2-door option for the GTI...
The GTI is a very good car I think. It doesn't really make me lust the way a GT86 or a BMW M135i does but it would still be an awesome ride to have. They're virtually as practical as a regular Golf but have more performance than a FWD vehicle should have. It isn't as able as the Megane RS when it comes to controlling understeer from what I've been told (probably due to the electronic differential) but if you're not going to be driving it to the limit it's not an issue.

Also: Matt Farah seems to like it

I was trying to think of a few alternatives to the GTI and came up with a blank. You folks in the US really don't get much hot hatchbacks do you? No BMW 1 series, no Renault Megane RS, no Opel/Vauxhaul Astra... That's really hard to get options. The only alternative I can see is the Focus ST but I've seen conflicting opinions on it's ride. :/

On the other hand I'm in a poor European country and a GTI costs about 50k USD so...
Old 2014-02-02, 11:46   Link #400
Harry McKenzie
ハリーマケンジ

Thanks a lot for your input! I might just pick up the GTI, but I'm seeing varying release times for the car. either spring 2014 or early '15. Hope more news comes up sooner than later.

That video review of the 2010 model seemed pretty consistent with the reviews I've read of the '15 model.

You're absolutely right about the hot hatch options available in the states. The Civic Type-R isn't even sold here.