AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Majutsu no Index: Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 29 19.59%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 16.22%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 30 20.27%
7 out of 10 : Good 32 21.62%
6 out of 10 : Average 18 12.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 2.70%
4 out of 10 : Poor 7 4.73%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.35%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.68%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.68%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-03-26, 18:03   Link #21
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Touma's pretty cool when he stfus. Favorite part with him had to be the finale with the alchemist. So Gar.
Index... how useless can you get? (last arc.. she *finally* does something!)
Biribiri... why wasn't there more. ;_; Can't wait for Railgun.
Misaka Imouto... I freaking love "Cat.. yet a dog..hehe" Best Line 'ever'. Kudos for the stupid grin.
Oh and definitely need more of that wacky spin cycle maid Maika.

The series felt kind of disjointed with its arcs. Just too much of a mess. Rename this, several characters in search of a plot. How I marathoned this, I don't know. And the damn endless speeches. The bridge scene in Mikoto's arc pissed me off. 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

Reminds me of getting into an argument with someone who repeats the same damn thing over and over thinking I haven't gotten it yet.

Everything else was just 'meh'. Over-explanation of magic etc was unintentionally hilarious.

This is all I can come up with for now
Old 2009-03-27, 13:15   Link #22
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Too little Kuroko x Mikoto. I wan MOAR.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 21:01   Link #23
shaolinx
Kani Fascination

Good start but then went downhill with lame arcs and side characters. Awesome animation and funny character was what kept me watching the whole anime. I liked the first OP song also
shaolinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 06:02   Link #24
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Overall 7

script - 5, Expositions are ok but Touma talks waaay too much. Especially since his soliloquies doesn't really contribute to the plot points.

Action get a 6 from me. Kanzaki/Aisha fight segment was in no way as good as it should be.

Animation - 9. Felt very solid.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 11:52   Link #25
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Well, it looks like others like this more than I did. Oh well.

Animation Quality: 8

Well I guess there's nothing I need to say about this. The animation is really nice with nice art too. The fight scenes were great, Index in freaky mode scared the shit out of me (which is a good thing), and Mikoto's electricity is win. Overall, animation quality was pretty solid.

Voice Actors: 6

Voice acting was pretty much okay. Touma was boring, Mikoto was average, but Index was an interesting character with (in my opinion) excellent voice acting. Other than that, the voice acting was very bland for the rest of the characters. I swear I sometimes don't feel the emotions when two characters have their "battle of words." All I can say is, "It could have been worse."

Script: 2

People complain about how long Fuuko's arc is in Clannad, but this series is an excellent example of what Clannad could have been. In short, people appear out of nowhere, went missing for 10+ episodes, there were no transitions between arcs, there were no initial introduction of the antagonists, and everything just feels disjointed and confusing. There were no Fuuko's arc to make the story flow. Other than that, To Aru Majutsu no Index became "To Aru Majutsu, no Index." I don't want to beat a dead horse but please, one would expect Index to not be in the sidelines after one arc. However, "It could be worse."

Soundtrack: N/A

The soundtrack didn't impress me and I don't feel like giving something I can't remember a bad rating. However, "It could be worse."

Editing: 2

If they did edit, then they would realize how confusing the stories are. One example is Motoharu Tsuchimikado. He appears for maybe a few minutes in the beginning and goes away. About halfway through the series, he reappears and the series expect us to remember who he is. Too bad there wasn't a Fuuko's arc to leave a good impression on him before he makes that disappearance act. However, "It could be worse."

Enjoyment: 2

Really, there was no enjoyment. I watched it half out of obligation and half because I want my Index to re-appear. I thought Naruto and Bleach were bad at talking, but at least they talk while fighting. This series has a habit of just talking. I mean, seriously. There are scenes where there's so much talking I just want it to stop. Gah!

Emotional Involvement: 3

My favorite arc is the Last Order arc. To make a character I really hate (Accelerator) into someone I like is a sign of a good anime. Unfortunately, for To Aru Majutsu no Index, it's a sign of what the series could have been. I don't know what went wrong, but it went wrong. Also, I'm a huge Mikoto fan, so episode 18 was a definite plus. However, aside from those three episodes (18, 19, 20), the series offered no emotional involvement. I was so tired of the talking that I didn't "feel' anything in the last episode. At least Mikoto's shower scene (and the announcement of the "sequel") was worth the wait.

Average: 3.83 -> 4/10

Anyways, it wasn't unwatchable, I didn't really regret watching it, but it could have been better.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 15:51   Link #26
SwiftStrike
Reaching for the Heavens

i'd give it around an 8 overall. everything was decent, although I think something more could have been done...
touma gave a whole lot of "speeches" before he did anything. random stuff and questions kept popping out(to those that didnt read manga especially i think)
Old 2009-03-29, 22:09   Link #27
Echoes

Let's see. This series was a real roller coaster for me. It started out great, I was so into it, and it felt like the new Shakugan no Shana, which I thoroughly adored. Unfortunately, it didn't stay consistently great throughout, and ended up being a mixed bag.

The animations and the art was great, I loved the colorful designs. The character designs were pretty neat too, aesthetically at least. Some of the minor characters seemed painfully one-dimensional, and I felt that most of them were left undeveloped. That leads me to my biggest problem with the series; it was all over the place. The arcs didn't really tie together well, and as others have mentioned, characters suddenly went away for extended periods of time.

The opening and ending themes were great, while the background music varied between adequate and quite enjoyable. The voice acting was fabulous, especially Kuroko and Index and Mikoto. Speaking of Mikoto, I'm quite happy that they chose to devote a fair amount of the show's screentime to her, she's lovely.

The action scenes were always enjoyable, but sometimes they dragged it out a bit too long before they finally got to it. This series could usually keep my attention, but the plot was a bit too disjointed and left me with many questions, this series could really benefit from a sequel.

I've complained a lot, but I did like the show. I thought it was good...ish, and if you don't take it too seriously, you can have a lot of fun with it.

I give it a 6 : Good.
Old 2009-03-30, 00:32   Link #28
evilr00t
*Fansubber

I can't even rate this, because I didn't finish the series, dropping it around episode 17 or so. But it could not have ended with a 7/10 or higher if I were to watch the remaining episodes. I would give it a 5/10 for what I watched so far.

So what made me drop the show?
1. Pacing, AKA "too much exposition, not enough action." Slower than Naruto filler sometimes.
2. Need to buy time before impending doom? Start a monologue in the midst of battle!
3. POWER UP episodes
4. Develop characters, then chuck them aside? (Index)
5. Plot points for no reason. (Touma's memory loss never used as a pivotal plot device; seemed to be just "there" for no real reason)
6. Fanservice.
evilr00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 02:56   Link #29
ffp3fdhgu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Touma talks waaay too much.
lol totally agree with this =) I really dont like that guy.
the show finished leaving me with somewhat feeling of hang over. well it cant be helped though cuz this show only covers about half of the novel. And even the novel itself still gets nowhere near the main plot :-s
the graphic quality is ... no need to say anymore about this it's really good.
anyway this one is watchable for comedy and little bit of action
ffp3fdhgu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 21:22   Link #30
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Gave it a 3...Probably more like a 3.5 if half numbers existed for the polls.

Mostly rated it low because it felt like the show could have been so much more...Quite a few of the characters had real potential, but it all just came across as so damn blah in the end I couldn't bring myself to give a damn about any of them most episodes.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 03:36   Link #31
Eric10301

Pretty huge let down for me, up there with kurozuka and ga-rei zero for biggest disappointment from the fall 2008 anime crop. The story never felt cohesive and the rinse and repeat save girl plot done 4 times in 1 season is over kill. Then there was the index cant use magic but she does but its not really magic its just random letters that somehow are like magic but isn't really magic but still effects the golem bend the story to my benefit last ep. Oh and the lets stop in the middle of this epic battle to have a conversation habit, jesus I felt like I was watching DBZ minus the powering up. If not for the great animation and voice acting I would probably rate this even lower. Not to say I didn't enjoy bits and pieces but it could have been so much better.

7/10
Eric10301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-14, 09:19   Link #32
Altima of the Gates
Casting a spell on you...
*Graphic Designer

Location: Where there are no mallets or tentacles.... and the female cast of Tenjou Tenge is mine, all mine!
Send a message via AIM to Altima of the Gates Send a message via MSN to Altima of the Gates Send a message via Yahoo to Altima of the Gates
8/10 from me.

I really fell for some of the characters, particularly Touma and Kanzaki, but I really came to like a good deal of the others, Index included. Mikoto, just seemed a little wound too tightly for my taste, but I like her nonetheless.

I aslo think people are looking at Touma's speeches in the wrong light here. De-moralizing an opponent can be just as effective as smacking them with that right hand of his, so for his overall weakness, talking them down is what he'd have to do in order not to play his trump and have his opponent become familiar with it. Besides, its better than some antihero BS cynicism any day for me.

Also, about him not having much character development....well, for someone that lost their memory aren't they trying to find who they are in the first place? Him struggling with that is character development in itself.
Altima of the Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-14, 09:47   Link #33
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altima of the Gates View Post
8/10 from me.

I really fell for some of the characters, particularly Touma and Kanzaki, but I really came to like a good deal of the others, Index included. Mikoto, just seemed a little wound too tightly for my taste, but I like her nonetheless.

I aslo think people are looking at Touma's speeches in the wrong light here. De-moralizing an opponent can be just as effective as smacking them with that right hand of his, so for his overall weakness, talking them down is what he'd have to do in order not to play his trump and have his opponent become familiar with it. Besides, its better than some antihero BS cynicism any day for me.

Also, about him not having much character development....well, for someone that lost their memory aren't they trying to find who they are in the first place? Him struggling with that is character development in itself.
Good way of looking at it about Toma.
Old 2009-06-14, 15:09   Link #34
BlueDo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altima of the Gates View Post

Yes, it was good the first and probably second time.
It's pretty much the same thing over and over that gets to people.
Compared to Kuzumi from mx0, his psychological warfare just isn't amusing.

As far as I've read and heard from people, Touma does not get any development at all. In perspective, the author probably plans for him to be that way for the rest of the series.
Accelerator is the only one that actually changes.
BlueDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-14, 19:01   Link #35
Altima of the Gates
Casting a spell on you...
*Graphic Designer

Location: Where there are no mallets or tentacles.... and the female cast of Tenjou Tenge is mine, all mine!
Send a message via AIM to Altima of the Gates Send a message via MSN to Altima of the Gates Send a message via Yahoo to Altima of the Gates
Arguably there was more help for the main character in Mx0 then we see here, and Taiga had more abilities. Limited yes, but more ability nonetheless, and people to help him get stronger, more examples on variety to use his ability...etc., etc., etc. He's working with what he has, and I didn't see what's wrong with it. He wasn't there to make epic speeches for the audience, but to unnerve the enemy/smack sense into them. Its more that what he's saying doesn't seem "cool" or "badass" to some members of the audience more than anything.

Now about character development, I would argue that character development=/=changing who the person at the core is. I'd like to ask what people expected him to be, other than who he is(although I'm sure it'll be something along the lines of gaining moral ambiguity..)?
Altima of the Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-15, 19:33   Link #36
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDo View Post
As far as I've read and heard from people, Touma does not get any development at all. In perspective, the author probably plans for him to be that way for the rest of the series.
Well, Touma is indeed supposed to a static hero who, by being himself, changes the world around him. Basically all of his character development happened in the first volume (i.e. first 6 episodes), which was then partly reset in order to maintain his "static" state for the rest of the story. But this is because he basically has all the elements he needs right from the start: a strong sense of justice and morality, a connection to the major plot elements, and a "trump card" that makes up for his lack of magical power. Beyond that, the story isn't developing the hero, it's using the hero to expose and develop the world. The story developments will do nothing except (ultimately) reinforce the hero's sense of justice and propel him even deeper and deeper towards the heart of the story's central crisis. In the process, he'll grow up a bit and become somewhat world-worn, but he has no need to change. By the first half of episode 6, he was already "perfect" in the story's way of thinking, hence why the main heroine already declared that she loved him. (This is why he gives so many speeches that some don't like; because he is literally the voice of the author's philosophy/message.)

Like I've said before, this show is a "preachy sci-fi", and that's what preachy sci-fis do (static heroes whose philosophy changes the world). Unfortunately, some people got the impression it was an action show.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-16, 14:51   Link #37
qwertyuiopz

10 !

awesome voice cast! especially touma!
his maniac laugh made the whole series

2nd season plz
qwertyuiopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 05:53   Link #38
klare

took me long time to finish this...

about the talkative tendency, it is not just Touma, EVERYONE talks a lot, they talk before the fight, during the fight, after the fight

the girls are all cute, bad thing is they all fall for Touma... and he is the indecisive type (again)

we have a main char that can defeat nearly everyone, including the highest-ranked ones

surprisingly, the best eps are the ones when the Accelerator as the main char

my favourite character: Kanzaki
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 07:59   Link #39
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL

I'm halfway through the series, but I feel safe in giving this series a 7: good, enjoyable, but not great quality.

Flaws, of course, have been listed to great extent: uneven character (though that comes from character-arc format), seeming inconsistencies in logic, even pacing in-episode, and most annoyingly of all, the script. That wordy, unwieldy script.

However, there are some great points that shine through as well. The battles tended to be interesting/amusing, there were a number of interesting plot ideas (figuring out the truth about Index's memory wiping, Deep Blood (in concept), the Misaka Arc). But most of all, the characters.

With a wide spread of characters, it's only natural that some would be hit or miss. In this story, that goes double. Some of the co-heroines (Index, Deep Blood girl), I simply have no real interest in. They are boring. Other characters, though, shine through: Biribiri is refreshing for being strong in her own right (the things she does need help for, like Accelerator, are completely reasonable), and the fact that she turns over the panty-shot fanservice makes me like her more. While Index bores me, those associated with her (the Magicians, the Alchemist) have a lot more interest. Even Accelerator shines through after a point: at first I thought of him as just another over-powered natural genius etc. etc., but meeting Last Order (and her talk about how he tried to communicate with the Misakas) really gave him another angle of character.

Overall, I think a large part of why I consider this a 7 (good) and not a 6 (fair) comes from the fact that most of the flaws could be corrected with better script writing, or minor re-characterization. Script-wise, a lot of junk could be simplified and the points made clearer, bringing out the heart of the great points. Talks like the one between Touma and Biribiri on the bridge (you won't kill me because you ARE a good person), the Last Order - Accelerator discussion, they could even be made better.

Others, like the discussion of Angel Fall, or others, could be made far more bearable with better simplification. Some characters could also be made better with minor rewriting: the Alchemist, for example. Why couldn't they have played up his attachment to Index more, instead of making him psycho for little reason? He should be glad she's better.

Overall, I feel Index is enjoyable, and decent in its own right. But it could stand a re-editing for the purpose of tweaking it. As it is, it's a good base, but not a polished product.
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 08:14   Link #40
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Up to episode 6, I would have given it a 9/10, but after that the quality really dropped.

Overall I give it a 7.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote