AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Eden of the East

Notices

View Poll Results: Eden of the East - Episode 11 [END] Rating
Perfect 10 65 43.62%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 37 24.83%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 14.09%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 8.72%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 5.37%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.34%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.67%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.67%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.67%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-21, 12:45   Link #141
soul_less

this reminds me of EVA's statement of the current environment of Japan. I think the writers are critic Japan's current government/political system. ....basically the anime is saying Japan is better off with a 1 person leader moving the direction of the country for the people.

I think the Christian symbolize is very strong but not in the notation of the area centered around this King business. that part focus more on a believe that the government system is best served in a different light than it is now......the writers are saying this would be better for JP....think about your history and this last millennia vs. before that.....

bah hard to scribble this down coherently maybe I will give it another shot after i go to sleep ^^
Old 2009-06-21, 13:00   Link #142
Dop
Mmmm....

Well I think that was the best series of the spring. Of what I saw, anyhow. I loved the fake movie posters, the sea of NEET parting as Saki and Micchan ran through them, and just everything abou the ending.

Now just to wait for the movies, and hope they fill us in on more of the details, like the other Selecao we've not seen yet, and what happens next.

I will be comprehensively gobsmacked if this doesn't get licensed.
Old 2009-06-21, 13:27   Link #143
psycrop

i like how akira is depicted as a perfect example of a messiah. always sacrificing himself for the rest. nice ending i would say...hopefully the movies give a better explanation of what happened.
Old 2009-06-21, 15:02   Link #144
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_less View Post
this reminds me of EVA's statement of the current environment of Japan. I think the writers are critic Japan's current government/political system. ....basically the anime is saying Japan is better off with a 1 person leader moving the direction of the country for the people.
I'm not sure about that... I was sort of thinking about those arc words to this series: "Noblesse oblige." In other words, nobility obligates, and those with power have responsibility to use it wisely for the people who don't.

Yet throughout this series we see what happens when a limited few are given almost unlimited power.

Some shamelessly abuse it, like Kondou. Some use it to do what they believe is right, but then the question is raised: is what they think is right actually right for everyone? #I and #X thought that sending Japan back to its post-WWII state was what was right (Akira obviously disagreed, and I'm sure those who live in the targeted areas would concur). Kuroha decided that she would avenge the female sex. Hiura focused on the healthcare field, and while his actions may seem righteous, the Supporter (a chosen among the chosen granted even more power) clearly did not agree, and took the matter into his own hands.

Throughout the series, placed side-by-side with the escapades of the powerful Selecao, we also see the issues facing the average young person in Japan. We have all these NEETs who aren't helping contribute to society, and why? Well maybe that's what Saki's story is for. She feels fenced in, unable to do what she wants to do, helpless, bound to the whims of the older generation, as exemplified by her misadventures in trying to get a job. And so she remains Not engaged in Education, Employment, or Training.

Yet the way the series ends (at least the TV portion) is not with Akira just magically saving everyone with his cell phone. The gathered NEETs are the ones who come up with the solution; all they needed was the power (Juiz) with which to pull it off, and the central hub (the Eden site) via which to pass their ideas around. Furthermore, in the flashback it's shown that these people who were thought useless to society were the ones who collaborated to save the lives of all those who would have been killed on Careless Monday.

I think what the series is saying is that Japan is not full of useless bums, but is actually full of bright minds and good hearts who simply feel too oppressed by the burdens of an unfriendly society to contribute to it; yet if given the opportunity, they can all do great things.
Old 2009-06-21, 15:44   Link #145
SkoolRumble4Ya

Damn this really sucks for people that do not live in Japan. We have to wait until the end of next year for the first movie. The wait is killing me.
Old 2009-06-21, 16:19   Link #146
Chase

That fat man lived, I liked it better when he was dead, just jk. Overall the last 2 episodes were phenomenal. I lol a little at the way Saki and Mikuru ran threw that crowd of neets. Excellent anime and was great from beginning to end. Can't wait for the movies.
Battlefield 4
Old 2009-06-21, 16:47   Link #147
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Actually NGE was a critique on the country, but from another point of view entirely: It was a counter-movement against the stereotypical epic hero fighting for the good of the Earth, and against all they represented. Shinji was the perfect anti-hero--and he gets away with it. It was the revenge of the claustrophobic individuals in a society where they don't have a place to speak out. I don't think it was about a single person leading the country at all.

And by the way, I don't think this is about that, either. This is mostly a critique on the common social perceptions on how people ought to behave in the working society. The NEETs don't conform to that stereotype, but this series is showing them under a very different light.

Quote:
Yet throughout this series we see what happens when a limited few are given almost unlimited power.
Actually, I believe what the series wants to highlight with this is that there is such a sentiment of discomfort within the Japanese society that giving such power to individual people will mostly result in a reaction against the very society that's built them as they are--the same society that's produced the NEETs and then proceeded to ostracize them. It is the ultimate crystallization of the rottenness of the whole thing. The very "evil" characters point themselves out the reasons why they feel the whole system is broken--and they're no different from the common man.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2009-06-21, 17:17   Link #148
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

You know, it's funny, Akira does the same thing with the NEETs that Mr. Outside does with the Selecao. Trusting a larger number of people than just yourself with your own power to get the job done.

And Akira hates Mr. Outside the same way the NEETs hate him, too (well, excepting the one clothed guy).
Old 2009-06-21, 22:54   Link #149
rocket
Senior and Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobertbaker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo
Is it even possible to intercept missiles with air-to-air missiles? I've never heard anything of the sort before.
The planes are JASDF flagged F-15s - square engine intakes.
I see AIM-120 Slammers or AAM-4 (they're twins) mounted.
The missile I see fired is the new AAM-5 short-range missile.
I concur, the missiles fired are definitely AAM-5s. But Jan Poo's question is one I haven't heard answered before. Assuming that the all aspect targeting capability of the missile is as good as the American AIM-9 then it should be able to take a head on heat seeking shot at any enemy aircraft flying at the same speed as a Tomahawk. On the other hand the missile is much smaller than a fighter and presumably more aerodynamic, so it will generate a much smaller front aspect heat signature. There's also the altitude over water and the urban setting with lots of potential for reflected sun to consider... ah well it's still plausible which is all that counts. (^_^)

P.S. drobertbaker I can't decide which I'm enjoying more, your commentary or your sig!
Old 2009-06-22, 00:01   Link #150
Karlson
Jumping...is useless!

Damn this wait is gonna take awhile.

Well it's up to the movies now to answer the questions that we're still left asking ourselves after watching this series. It was a great episode no doubt about that and it didn't come off as a huge cliffhanger so much as just an inconclusive end much like what I was expecting ever since I knew there was gonna be a movie following it. But it did raise up a few more questions. I'm not exactly sure why he had to erase his memories there either, or even if he wiped them out at all. Some things tell me he did lose his memories and other things tell me he didn't and that something else happened there. Maybe his memory was partially altered to remember some things but not others? I have no idea...

Last edited by Karlson; 2009-06-22 at 01:02.
Old 2009-06-22, 00:46   Link #151
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Is it even possible to intercept missiles with air-to-air missiles? I've never heard anything of the sort before.
Of course we're talking cruise missiles, not ballistic missiles.

As pointed out earlier, they're quite slow. And they don't make any attempts at evasion or dropping flares or chaff.

Because they're so slow and steady, you'd think you could easily get up right below and behind for a perfect shot. It would even be easy to gun it.

However, cruise missiles do not fly as shown in EOTE. These missiles actually hug the NOE (nap of earth) at treetop level and it's difficult to get a hit with an AA missile firing down against a background or even to track it on the deck.

The only verified results of cruise missile interception by aircraft that I know of are from the Cruise Missile Defence Initiative (CMDI), a NORAD (North American Aerospace Defence Command) program started in 1986 to train crews in cruise missile detection and tracking.

Their results indicated that "Although cruise missiles tend to fly slowly and in relatively straight lines, interception is strangely difficult." for the reasons I've mentioned.

A 2004 congressional report on cruise missile defense indicated that "missiles and gunfire are the only two current options".

"The Navy, for example, can today intercept a CM with a surface-to-air missile guided by the ship’s Aegis radar. A Patriot missile can intercept CMs based on its radar’s information, and an F-15’s radar would guide its air-to-air missiles to intercept a CM."

The gunfire side is for point protection, i.e. the missile is flying right at you. For example, the Navy's Phalanx system uses radar and literally fills the air with 20mm steel at 3000 rounds per minute and hopes it gets a hit.
Old 2009-06-22, 20:56   Link #152
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

I forget who mentioned earlier that they thought the reason Takizawa was in Washington D.C. was he was trying to get caught as a terrorist. He was gonna take the fall.

That is the best theory I have heard so far and I think it is true.

However why would Takizawa let himself be captured and imprisoned when #1&#10 still had money and could still try to blow up Tokyo.

and couldn't he have had Juiz cover the whole thing up like she did at the Hotel?

That whole White House with the revolver and guns at his pad still doesn't make sense. I think whoever said he was trying to get caught as a terrorist was true, but I think it is a gapping plot hole.

Anyone else have any other ideas why he did that?
Old 2009-06-22, 21:06   Link #153
rocket
Senior and Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by sould_less
I see EOTE as more of the anti-EVA. I see EVA as a statement against the heroic strong individual hero (messianic) style of anime. Whether it was a catalyst or simply a bellwether of phenomenon underway, in the following decade otaku of all stripes have abandoned the world view that casts life as a battle to be won with "hard work and guts" and embraced a moetic paradise of frills and highschool flirtations. I see EOTE as being about trying to rally the NEET, otaku and hikomori out of their resultant hedonistic shells and motivated to a greater social purpose under the leadership of a strong man (of the heroic mold abandoned in EVA).

Quote:
However, cruise missiles do not fly as shown in EOTE. These missiles actually hug the NOE (nap of earth) at treetop level...
I thought the Tomahawks were flying pretty low in EOTE, especially over an urban center. Granted I don't have a good sense of exactly how low NOE is for a cruise missile, but I wager it's higher than for a fighter (which would have better turn and climb capability). Well the camera angles made it tricky to judge too...

One inaccuracy I can think of is that the Tomahawks wouldn't have been leaving behind an exhaust tail at that point in their flight. Though it is perfectly understandable dramatic license - without seeing the incoming missile trails we wouldn't have had the visual sense of impending doom.

Quote:
"The Navy, for example, can today intercept a CM with a surface-to-air missile guided by the ship’s Aegis radar. A Patriot missile can intercept CMs based on its radar’s information, and an F-15’s radar would guide its air-to-air missiles to intercept a CM."
Which would imply that an AIM-9M class all aspect heat seeker would not be the weapon of choice... :-( Oh well, let's assume JUIZ knows something we don't!
Old 2009-06-22, 23:45   Link #154
feRfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by k//eternal View Post
You know, it's funny, Akira does the same thing with the NEETs that Mr. Outside does with the Selecao. Trusting a larger number of people than just yourself with your own power to get the job done.

And Akira hates Mr. Outside the same way the NEETs hate him, too (well, excepting the one clothed guy).
wise observation
Old 2009-06-22, 23:45   Link #155
slayer545-sama
Banned

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
That fat man lived, I liked it better when he was dead, just jk. Overall the last 2 episodes were phenomenal. I lol a little at the way Saki and Mikuru ran threw that crowd of neets. Excellent anime and was great from beginning to end. Can't wait for the movies.
ALL NEETS SHOULD DIE! They are useless to society. In any case being a NEET due to losing your pants is foolish! I used to be one and now NO MORE!
Old 2009-06-23, 00:36   Link #156
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket View Post
Granted I don't have a good sense of exactly how low NOE is for a cruise missile, but I wager it's higher than for a fighter (which would have better turn and climb capability).
I really meant treetop level. I come from Northern Alberta where the early testing of cruise missiles was performed in the '80s. Folks in those parts didn't take kindly to the Americans testing their new potentially nuclear weapons in their backyard and they would actually put up nets to bring them down. They came within 70 feet of catching one.
Quote:
One inaccuracy I can think of is that the Tomahawks wouldn't have been leaving behind an exhaust tail at that point in their flight. Though it is perfectly understandable dramatic license - without seeing the incoming missile trails we wouldn't have had the visual sense of impending doom.!
True, true. It really was spectacular!

Last edited by drobertbaker; 2009-06-23 at 01:21.
Old 2009-06-23, 02:50   Link #157
Reduxed

This explanation of why Akira requests the second memory-wipe is kind of a stretch:

As many have noted, Akira told Juiz he hoped that he stays the same, that he’s the same person the next time they meet, or something to that effect. In his current state, he saves people to save them. That is, he sacrifices himself in all cases for others selflessly. Admittedly, it could be argued that he does it with some small self-serving interest to stay alive and win the game, but Akira comes across much more interested in the salvation of others than he is in becoming that salvation or Savior.

For this reason, he regrettably becomes a prince and places the burden of reforming the entire country on his shoulders (as we see in this last episode, a task effectively performed by corralling the unmotivated masses). The transition from Selecao to prince is not a complete one though: Akira is still bound by Mr. Outside’s rules and enforcement of those rules by the Supporter. And being out of money, Akira has truly gone all-in with his metaphorical chips; he fixes the country as a king, or he dies.

Enter the memory-wipe. By wiping his memory, Akira is able to fully escape the Selecao system insofar that it will have no bearing on his actions as a prince. Certainly, the Supporter may still kill him, but without knowledge of that or any of the other events related to Ato Saizo’s “game”, Akira can do—for the right reasons—what the whole Selecao system intended for its selectees to do: save Japan. Thus Akira is able to stay the same person: one that is selfless, not for self-satisfaction or self-serving purposes, but simply because others need him to be.
Old 2009-06-23, 14:04   Link #158
greedyisgood
easy mode

I am just a little confused...

Spoiler for episode 11:
Old 2009-06-23, 14:05   Link #159
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reduxed View Post
Enter the memory-wipe. By wiping his memory, Akira is able to fully escape the Selecao system insofar that it will have no bearing on his actions as a prince. Certainly, the Supporter may still kill him, but without knowledge of that or any of the other events related to Ato Saizo’s “game”, Akira can do—for the right reasons—what the whole Selecao system intended for its selectees to do: save Japan. Thus Akira is able to stay the same person: one that is selfless, not for self-satisfaction or self-serving purposes, but simply because others need him to be.
Akira's money is not all used yet. Luiz will have to spend the money in small tasks. The first thing to make Akira the king of Japan will be for Japan to have a referendum to change the Japanese constitution, which obviously will take campaigning and a lot of bribes.
Old 2009-06-23, 14:09   Link #160
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by greedyisgood View Post
I am just a little confused...

Spoiler for episode 11:
Just before he puts the phone in Saki's pocket you'll notice that he's listening to a perculiar sound on his phone. Go back to episode one and you'll find that it's the very same sound came out of his phone as he lost his memories.
Closed Thread