AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > School Rumble

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-26, 01:30   Link #221
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphire View Post
'Gentlemen, shall we take this outside?'
More like - take to a different thread? lol

Quote:
At times, especially nearer the end, I felt it was Tenma that moved the plot along, or it was her character that made things tolerable.
I agree specially with the example you gave. But for most of the series Tenma served as a pesonified reset button and I think the hate originates from there.

I liker her, but she wasn't that interesting as a character. Good hearted and kind, but at the same time naive and too oblivious to notice the consequences of her actions. She gets redeemed for it by being so pure hearted and stubbornly insisting to fix it or apologize and be forgiven - no matter what it takes. Even if she has to pull a Seymour and wait a whole night in a snow storm as you said

Quote:
Nice points. Though I have to admit I'd have hated it if Harima got over Tenma so quickly. His character would seem so flimsy if so. I think(or hope) it would take a lot to change him, which is alluded to in SRZ. No one ever said one-sided love can't be true love. But for it to be true, it should take a lot to break/overcome it. Otherwise again, it'd just be another rom drama(I'm looking at you Toradora! gawd I hated the ending in that show).
Oh I wouldn't have liked it either if he had been over her quickly - but as we see in SR - YEARS. Flippin' years! And he's the same love sick idiot despite the foreshadowing and built up that led in another direction. And it's been stated that he left and went travelling to become a better man and artist - yeah right.

You know, I used true love for a reason.
I don't see how onesided or not makes a big differences here. By the end of the series they are very close, so lack of knowing each other isn't my argument. The way Harima's 'love' for Tenma was portrayed - it just wasn't believable for me. We do see the moment he falls for her, but we never see him going beyond that feeling he stubbornly insisted from then on. He never goes "Oh that's why I fell for her, she's such a nice person" or anything similar genuinely.

He just puts her on that shrine of his and worships her - that's why I said it's more like an obsession than real love. Harima totally goes blind if she's involved in anything. Similar to Imadori who is totally obsessed over big breasts but still starts to care for the 'flat' Karen. I always thought it's Harima's stubbornness and deep rooted longing for acceptance and love that leads him to pursue Tenma so much (don't forget how happy he is secretly when someone praises him or how he loves to be part of a group).

He liked her sure, but true love? Not as I see it. Specially, when I remember how her always acts towards her and just likes to forget Karasuma. Or better ignores anything that could be harmful to his mental picture of a happy family

I'm not claiming I must be right and you wrong - I just interpret it differently :3

Toradora just went downhill from somewhere in the middle. One of the series that were eaten by their romance plot and forgot about the comedy. Taiga's rage fits didn't help much.

Quote:
As for Harima's feelings towards the girls. I agree not much is known, but I did love it when Yakumo confessed, and Harima replied with a comedic gag because of misunderstanding it, but the underlying message was that Harima knew exactly what Yakumo said, but didn't want to hurt her by outright rejecting her, which he would have done. Shows how classy a guy Harima is (though as I typed this, I remember there being a scene in that 'three who were slashed' show about how Mangoku rejects a girl in a similar fashion(maybe without the gag))
Again interpretation. I don't see any sign of him knowing. And if he does the more I don't like the way he behaves towards her. Don't forget he just leaves without a word in the end. I just think he's that dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
Another reason why I want a whole new cast of SR characters and old ones can just make an omake, or probably it happened at the time of SR, but all have a different storyline.
Next generation like DBZ? XD
Old 2010-08-26, 03:38   Link #222
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
Next generation like DBZ? XD
No. An entirely new cast.
DB series only concentrates on on main character Gouko.
More like the Ghostbusters cartoons, where in Ghostbusters Extreme there are new characters. The only returning old character was Egon.Where in which in the ending for nostalgia they brought back the older heroes. Pete, Ray and Winston.
Old 2010-08-26, 08:19   Link #223
random_guy

Quote:
Who cares about the main character if it doesn't sell to the audience.

Yes she got her ending good for her.

Now can we concentrate on Harima? She has 2 lovely girls and he's doing his manga?! Come on SR on Tenma's side of the story is all gag till the end. 4 long years before it ended.

We need a SR with something....A plot and a REAL one. Not a comedy gag all through out.
The problem is that School Rumble is a romantic comedy, KJ created it as that and i believe that he doesn't want to make a Manga exclusively about romance or drama. If i am not mistaken, he wants to make an action/drama manga, wich brings me back to the point when Harima accepted to be Eri's fiancé to protect her from Shawn. Harima's battle with Shawn could be a excellent plot for an action/drama manga, don't you think?

Quote:
Man like some nerds and fanatics of comics Japanese and Western ones they would always say to authors. "It's fine and satisfying for them, but they dunno how it is that affect the people who appreciate and follow the story."
Exactly, many autors doesn't have any idea how their works afects people's lives and they just don't care about what is going to happen whit all those fans when they make any important decistion on their work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
  • Harima's background - his parents aren't seen, but his brother seems to live with them (or at least one of 'em?)
  • Harima's feelings regarding the girls or what section of his brain is broken to not be over Tenma EVER - really I never understood how it can be defined as true love, it looks more like obsession to me; wanting what you can't get
  • Their third year. We never seen anything besides a few snippets in SRZ
  • Akira. Just more Akira!
Excellent points, and these are just a few of them, there are a lot more things that can be taken on a new SR sequel.

Quote:
No. An entirely new cast.
DB series only concentrates on on main character Gouko.
More like the Ghostbusters cartoons, where in Ghostbusters Extreme there are new characters. The only returning old character was Egon.Where in which in the ending for nostalgia they brought back the older heroes. Pete, Ray and Winston.
Adding a whole new cast is a little extreme for my taste. There are a lot of cool characters that did not have their shot on the original SR series, maybe KJ can develop them in a better way on a SR sequel. For example, Togou and Harry Mckenzie: cool characters but their part on the plot is really poor. Max and the English exchange students: really cool characters and no development at all.

Maybe he can add new characters to the story but it's not absolutely necessary.
Old 2010-08-26, 11:42   Link #224
Sephiroth_760
Anime is lifestyle

Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth_760
Quote:

Nice points. Though I have to admit I'd have hated it if Harima got over Tenma so quickly. His character would seem so flimsy if so. I think(or hope) it would take a lot to change him, which is alluded to in SRZ. No one ever said one-sided love can't be true love. But for it to be true, it should take a lot to break/overcome it. Otherwise again, it'd just be another rom drama(I'm looking at you Toradora! gawd I hated the ending in that show).
That's why we all love Harima and that's what makes SR different from Animes like Toradora, School Days, and so on. Harima won't take his eyes off Tenma. I mean, we get to see that girls like him (Yamo, Eri!) but he is focused on Tenma. That's what makes him special, his tunnel vision xD

And u're damn right, if he would let go off Tenma that easily, Harima would just be like another screwed up anime character

Quote:
As for Harima's feelings towards the girls. I agree not much is known, but I did love it when Yakumo confessed, and Harima replied with a comedic gag because of misunderstanding it, but the underlying message was that Harima knew exactly what Yakumo said, but didn't want to hurt her by outright rejecting her, which he would have done. Shows how classy a guy Harima is (though as I typed this, I remember there being a scene in that 'three who were slashed' show about how Mangoku rejects a girl in a similar fashion(maybe without the gag))

Ok that's enough SR analysis for the day.....
really?!
Forgotten about that scene >.< and it's the first time I hear that Harima probably know that Yakumo wanted to confess! That gives me a total different view about this!!!
Old 2010-08-26, 19:09   Link #225
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
The problem is that School Rumble is a romantic comedy
Yeah but after 4 years all we got is comedy even in the endings.

Too late though for Shawn storyline he's retired. Undertaker made him retire.
Seriously though Shawn gave up and went back, pretty much end of story there.

Quote:
Max and the English exchange students: really cool characters and no development at all.
Gotta agree with this, but Max is the only guy worthy of the development, he's the one that defeated Harima. Too bad they didn't animate the epic punch fight. This goes to show never go toe toe with an enraged Harima, even Karasuma lost.

Quote:
Harima won't take his eyes off Tenma.
That makes him unique.

Much like Batman no matter what he never kills. Except when he killed DarkSied in Final Crisis in a do or die situation. Makes me wonder will it kill Harima to love another girl? Hmm....

Also all those indirect confessions Eri and Yakumo did to Harima never really budged his tunnel of vision, even in his broken heart he's still thinking of Tenma. He's also not obsessed with her since he respects her as much as the other girls, no mater how other people seem to misunderstand him. Poor guy really.

Overall as a long time SR fan, I want a New School Rumble with new characters for a fresh new start form KJ.
Old 2010-08-26, 23:44   Link #226
Sphire

Quote:
I agree specially with the example you gave. But for most of the series Tenma served as a pesonified reset button and I think the hate originates from there.
I can't disagree with you there. And if I was honest with myself, when I first watched SR, I didn't like Tenma. Like you said, she seemed shallow. But as the show (and manga) went on, I guess I couldn't help but like her character. One of the few anime characters ever where I've gone from dislike to like.

Quote:
You know, I used true love for a reason.
I don't see how onesided or not makes a big differences here. By the end of the series they are very close, so lack of knowing each other isn't my argument. The way Harima's 'love' for Tenma was portrayed - it just wasn't believable for me. We do see the moment he falls for her, but we never see him going beyond that feeling he stubbornly insisted from then on. He never goes "Oh that's why I fell for her, she's such a nice person" or anything similar genuinely.
I guess my only counter to this is that you could say the same thing about most if not all the relationships built up in SR. Yakumo and Eri's feelings can't quite be called true love either yea? Especially Eri, who in certain respects mirrors Harima's obsessiveness in her pursuit of Harima.

I guess part of what I like about the show (and is unique to it too), is that it doesn't force the 'true love' mentality on the viewers. People develop feelings, develop relationships and have break-ups simply because someone likes someone.

Quote:
I'm not claiming I must be right and you wrong - I just interpret it differently :3
Haha, I think I've had a 'convo/debate' with you about something else in SR (perhaps it was even in this thread), and we do seem to look at things slightly differently at times. Which is ok by me, I like talking about shows I adore

Quote:

Gotta agree with this, but Max is the only guy worthy of the development, he's the one that defeated Harima. Too bad they didn't animate the epic punch fight. This goes to show never go toe toe with an enraged Harima, even Karasuma lost.
I agree too. I always somewhat disliked the Kyoto arc, probably because it introduced characters with no background suddenly appearing as semi-main characters. I always tend to dislike or at least not enjoy the arcs where new people are introduced suddenly as lead characters for the arc. Like the Kyoto arc, the basketball arc and when class 2-D first make their appearance.

I prefer the way characters like Asou, Sara, Imadori and Karen were introduced. First as side-characters that then had a few focus episodes. But I'll admit that is my personal preference.

Quote:
Overall as a long time SR fan, I want a New School Rumble with new characters for a fresh new start form KJ.
I dunno, it would hurt me so much to see the old characters return as side characters. Watching NNA, with just simple SR cameos, already slightly hurts me

Honokawa Action supposedly has relation to SR, so if that comes true, maybe you will get a bit of your wish.

Quote:
Again interpretation. I don't see any sign of him knowing. And if he does the more I don't like the way he behaves towards her. Don't forget he just leaves without a word in the end. I just think he's that dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth_760 View Post
really?!
Forgotten about that scene >.< and it's the first time I hear that Harima probably know that Yakumo wanted to confess! That gives me a total different view about this!!!
Whoa, now I'm worried. I've talked to a friend before about this point, and he too doesn't remember anything of the sort. I put it up in my argument as a sorta test to you guys to see if any of you felt the same. So...yea I'm a bit worried now.

Admittedly, I only read the manga section from where the 2nd season ended until the manga end once. Mainly because the files are all jumbled up and I hate having to go through numerous folders to check which chapter I'm supposed to read next. But when I read the Yakumo confession scene, I solidly remember coming away thinking that yes, Harima knew.

I think though that it was Yakumo who states this, not Harima himself. She more or less believed that Harima knew what she asked, but made the joke gag to not hurt her. I know you could argue Yakumo wouldn't know for sure, but I do think that was the point JK wanted to get across.

Perhaps I should re-check that scene. I just hate reading the manga, knowing those parts will never get animated, and that, well, SR eventually ends. Heck I'm struggling through the latest official english volume because although I know I could blow through it in one day, it still saddens me. Plus it'll take ages for the next volume to be released. At least I know the official volumes will be in order.
Old 2010-08-26, 23:58   Link #227
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

^
Try to check out also Harima indirectly rejecting Eri 'cause he thinks he's SO cool and handsome. Truly this is a comedy manga that kills the plot with that WUT?! Moments.

Quote:
I dunno, it would hurt me so much to see the old characters return as side characters. Watching NNA, with just simple SR cameos, already slightly hurts me

Honokawa Action supposedly has relation to SR, so if that comes true, maybe you will get a bit of your wish.
For me, it's time to move on...4 long years, 2 dvd seasons, DL manga's and the final OVA, bought licensed mangas and other merchandise(toys figs artbooks..etc) and collected images.

As much as I like the old characters which grew on me. I'd rather have something fresh right now from KJ, NNA was good, but it's ending also. Also hoping that Honokawa Action will be similar to SR or a link to SR.
Old 2010-08-27, 08:04   Link #228
Sephiroth_760
Anime is lifestyle

Quote:
Yakumo and Eri's feelings can't quite be called true love either yea?
Well, I wouldn't say it like that. I can imagine that they are kind of really in love with Harima, but SR's still a comedy anime. It would ruin everything if KJ would be to pair Eri or Yakumo with Harima because of a successful confession. That's why JK was pretty busy with encountering every confession in the anime (for example the Yamo Harima walking festival confession)

Quote:
I agree too. I always somewhat disliked the Kyoto arc
Well, I can't really decide but I would say that I liked the arc. Well, these english exchange students were a pain in the butt, I mean, pulling Eri's hair "Are u nuts?!"
But what I liked was all the stuff around Harima and Eri. in Kyoto there really happened a lot between them, even if it's only on Eri's side, since Harima just wanted to be alone with Tenma.

Quote:
Whoa, now I'm worried. I've talked to a friend before about this point, and he too doesn't remember anything of the sort. I put it up in my argument as a sorta test to you guys to see if any of you felt the same. So...yea I'm a bit worried now.
hahaha xD
well, to me it was just another scene like "Harima's dumbness kills everything" xD
but yeah, this statement gives me a totally different view about the situation.

Quote:
^
Try to check out also Harima indirectly rejecting Eri 'cause he thinks he's SO cool and handsome. Truly this is a comedy manga that kills the plot with that WUT?! Moments.
yeah, really!
I was like soo happy that Harima actually talks to Eri about this situation
I was awaiting something cool, something romantic or even somethind sad.
Like Eri crying and Harima "Why are u crying!?" and Eri "I'm not crying" (typical situation lol) but then, what happened? Eri totally screwed the situation with her face and her stupid answer! xD Well, can't blame Eri, JK's the person who is putting words in her mouth and making her look stupid lol
Old 2010-08-27, 09:03   Link #229
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Well at least SR can be proud of something....
It's original comedy gold on EVERY SERIOUS situation that can turn to a HAHAHA, LOL WUT?! moment.
Old 2010-08-28, 15:56   Link #230
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
Quote:
I guess my only counter to this is that you could say the same thing about most if not all the relationships built up in SR. Yakumo and Eri's feelings can't quite be called true love either yea? Especially Eri, who in certain respects mirrors Harima's obsessiveness in her pursuit of Harima.
Sure you could . But the ErixHarima relationship differs a lot from the TenmaxHarima one. Both are one sided and yet - Harima is aware that Eri is a woman, while Tenma doesn't even seem to notice he's of opposite gender. It NEVER even crosses her mind that it could be her she likes. The relationship evolve in total different directions while the series progresses. Harima gets friend zoned by Tenma from day one, while he starts that love-hate thing with Eri that has this underlying sexual attraction.

The situatuons of both relationships seem the same, but the difference is that where Tenma never gives Harima anything back, Harima does soften up to Eri at times. It's not much, but at least for me it makes a big difference, because I can think of a dozen scenes that brought Eri and Harima closer genuinly, but I have to think hard for scenes like that for him and Tenma.

And that's all it's about for me: What we see. Just because it's stated Harima loves Tenma with all his heart until it stops beating, doesn't mean I will believe or like it when the author didn't bother to show me anything other than shallow interest.

At least it was really insufficient for me, specially because there was so much built up with Harima and the other girls and seemingly finally letting go (but not moving on yet)

Quote:
I guess part of what I like about the show (and is unique to it too), is that it doesn't force the 'true love' mentality on the viewers. People develop feelings, develop relationships and have break-ups simply because someone likes someone.
Yup. The way highschool dating is represented is nice. But the thing that bothers me is - at the end we are presented with the cast years older and the main cast didn't move an inch. If Harima just had feelings for Tenma why is he still in love? If Tenma isn't truly in love with Karasuma why the eff did she leave her only family alone and went to America? Why haven't either Eri and Yakumo moved on and are still looking for him?

For me, the author forced the true love mentality down my throat with that end If it's not supposed to be love none of their decisions make sense. Because just liking someone is a bit too less for lifechanging decisions like that xD

I know I just included Harima->Tenma with that . I acknowledge him being in love with her somehow, just not truly loving. But KJ presents us with him being totally in for her in the end.

Quote:
Haha, I think I've had a 'convo/debate' with you about something else in SR (perhaps it was even in this thread), and we do seem to look at things slightly differently at times. Which is ok by me, I like talking about shows I adore
lol really? Could be but I can't remeber. When I start a 'debate' I always mean well, so it's fine by me too. It's good you don't think I just want to get on your nerves I love to talk about my favorites as well, so to find someone with a different look on things is actually a really good thing
I really like the points you bring up, too~

Quote:
But when I read the Yakumo confession scene, I solidly remember coming away thinking that yes, Harima knew.

I think though that it was Yakumo who states this, not Harima himself. She more or less believed that Harima knew what she asked, but made the joke gag to not hurt her. I know you could argue Yakumo wouldn't know for sure, but I do think that was the point JK wanted to get across.
I looked out for hints of him knowing during my re-reads, but I never spotted anything. It's only that one scene where she wants to confess where it could be interpreted like that. If you find anything after all let me know :3
It's just that Harima really IS an idiot and you have to argue he is a real mastermind acting and thinking like he does during the times he is with Yakumo if you believe he knows
Maybe he registered it subconsicously somewhere, but I just never saw anything pointing there. Still, I just could have missed something xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth_760 View Post
yeah, really!
I was like soo happy that Harima actually talks to Eri about this situation
I was awaiting something cool, something romantic or even somethind sad.
Like Eri crying and Harima "Why are u crying!?" and Eri "I'm not crying" (typical situation lol) but then, what happened? Eri totally screwed the situation with her face and her stupid answer! xD Well, can't blame Eri, JK's the person who is putting words in her mouth and making her look stupid lol
lol yeah her reaction was just golden. So not what I had expected. But really, he deserved it, he behaved like a total douche.
Old 2010-08-28, 16:42   Link #231
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
But really, he deserved it, he behaved like a total douche.
Harima deserved the pie end. But the fans didn't.

KJ needs to pull through his action manga. Hope it'll be a bit more serious and will have a plot.

Needs evolution

One reason I find Itoko the hottest female on SR.
Old 2010-08-28, 17:03   Link #232
random_guy

Quote:
Harima deserved the pie end. But the fans didn't.

KJ needs to pull through his action manga. Hope it'll be a bit more serious and will have a plot.

Needs evolution

I gotta agree with this, Harima deserved a Pie ending for being a douche but we, as fans didn't.

Itoko is HOT. Period. Still i keep my preference for Eri hehe, she is the perfect girl for me.
Old 2010-08-29, 00:48   Link #233
Sphire

Finally found what I was looking for. But re-reading it, perhaps I did read too much into the dialog.

I don't know if I can put up manga pages, and since I can't be arsed uploading images anyway, I'll just point out that it was in chapter 281, page 2. Yakumo explains to the 1-D girls about the night she confessed. She says Harima avoided what she wanted to say (which to me sounds intentional), then goes on to say that made her think they don't 'harmonize' well (she knows there's a gap there).

It doesn't say he avoided her words in order not to hurt her, as I 'ad-libbed(sp?)' before , but I don't see why that can't be the case, especially since he intentionally avoided her words.

Of course now I'm in a somber mood, having re-read those chapters. Also re-realising that Harima never called Yakumo by her name, it's always Imouto-san (at least I believe this is the case). Which in itself is a big indicator of how Harima feels about Tenma((and consequently Yakumo).

And of course, I read chapters 282 and 283.....

Last edited by Sphire; 2010-08-29 at 01:30.
Old 2010-08-29, 03:14   Link #234
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Eri is also called Ojou-san all through out the series.

Harima is a respectful guy. Ojou-san though has a bit sarcasm on Eri, but calling you a princess all through out is another.

Only the PS2 game Harima called Eri, ERI-chan
Spoiler for game:
Old 2010-08-31, 12:12   Link #235
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:
Hohooo~

Not bad, not bad.

Itoko one of my top 2.
Old 2010-08-31, 16:23   Link #236
Sephiroth_760
Anime is lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
Itoko one of my top 2.
yeah, i really liked her, too

it's just too sad that JK never gave her any story
well, she was always there as a bystander, but she never had a story on her own or an arc
Old 2010-09-01, 02:50   Link #237
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

She's a side character and probably the legal and most attractive off all the female gender in SR imho. Probably it's her mature demure or just the design. Harima being young though having more a more mature built, both of them look good together. Too bad though this won't happen.

Except H-doujins.
Old 2010-09-01, 12:17   Link #238
Wanko
Disabled By Request

Send a message via Yahoo to Wanko
i have some doubts...

well as all of you kno, some people have been talking about Honwaka Action!
and they say that Honwaka Action! it's gonna be JK's new series. but... i found this news on animenews network

Natsu no Arashi! Manga to End in September posted on 2010-08-21 15:49 EDT

Creator Jin Kobayashi (School Rumble) already planning new manga

Kodansha's Bessatsu Shonen Magazine indicated in February that Kobayashi is planning a new series in that magazine, but has not revealed its title or launch date.

so my doubts are: why the people have been saying that Honwaka Action! it's gonna be JK's new manga when he hasnt revealed it's tittle or launch yet?. i usually dont post that much, i rather read the diferents points of view of every1 instead of posting but if any1 can answer me that i'll be glad.

by the way, its good to know that NNA ends in september, i really wanna know more about jk's new manga xD!

Later
Old 2010-09-01, 14:43   Link #239
Solafighter
Hige

No news for us, Harima02.

I think JK is currently to busy with finishing NNA. Maybe he gives so many hints, that are not confirmed to show people, that he will continue drawing mangas.

I think we will know in like 2 month, what he's gonna do and what it will be about.
Old 2010-09-01, 14:56   Link #240
hchop

I just want to know if it's action, or comedy or romance or all three at once.
Closed Thread