AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Guilty Crown

Notices

Old 2011-10-14, 01:16   Link #521
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I'd just hope Hiroyuki Yoshino won't feel the need to constantly top himself and just make this a little too over the top
Look,I'm betting that even if he doesn't feel the need to director Tetsuro Araki will do it for him.

With these two working together the odds of this ending up over the top are well.....over the top.
Old 2011-10-14, 01:25   Link #522
bigdeath

OMG, what have I just watch? Thats my first reaction after just the first 4 mins of this ep. LOL

My second thought was that this is the next Code Geass, and lo and behold the ton of comparisons to code geass that I've seen online already. LOL

FYI, not only is this an Production I.G project, it also has the director of Death Note and the screenwriter of CODE GEASS/Macross Frontier.

So yeah, Code Geass + Macross singing. LOL Instant mega hit.

Ok, as much as I love Code Geass, this show is not going to be one because Lelouch was Code Geass.

On the other hand, this first episode introduced the main characters in a very exciting manner. And I love that OP song. I MUST HAVE IT.

Yeah, this look like it will be by FAR my favorite show this year already.

And thats saying something with both Fate/Zero and Persona 4 in the same season. This episode just blew me away. I kind of fear they blew the budget on this first episode.

As for the characters, too early to tell. This was a fast paced action introduction episode. I will have to wait to form an opinion since we really did not see much at all of a lot of the characters.

Gai theme was somewhat jarring but it was still good. All the music looks to be top notch. I do hope they pull a Macross and continue to include songs being sung during battles.
bigdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 01:27   Link #523
Forsaken_Infinity

That was really nice. Really really nice. I would have been completely pleased even if this episode was a standalone movie that ends nowhere. Actually, I might have been most pleased if that were the case because I have a brooding feeling that they might crash it from here on.
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 01:30   Link #524
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Look,I'm betting that even if he doesn't feel the need to director Tetsuro Araki will do it for him.

With these two working together the odds of this ending up over the top are well.....over the top.
Yeah that's actually the overarching concern I have going forward in this series. Unlike Okouchi who I credit for the good aspects of Code Geass and who has a great track record IMO (Shows I liked by him include Code Geass, PlantES, Rahxephon and Turn A Gundam), I kind of credit Yoshino's influence for when Code Geass could get really really silly and he has a horrible track record IMO (not a fan of what I saw of Dance in The Vampire Bund, My-Hime, Gundam Seed Destiny, Mai Otome, Seikon No Qwaser where he's the original creator, and parts of Macross Frontier all of which could get a little or extremely silly and again have that lack of subtlety in portrayal of characters both physically and personality wise [too many to go over] and situations that could be black and white in the extreme) that shows a lack of subtlety and any real since of pacing or how to write interesting character arcs.

The flip in who is the assistant and who is the head writer in this could make for a very different experience from Code Geass in the long run, but that's something I obviously can't predict.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 01:31   Link #525
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Could you develop that a bit?Because I'm failing to see the "core appeal" of this character archetype.
First, I'd encourage you to read this. It explains the potential usefulness of an Everyman character type.

Now, an Everyman character type that's never really challenged by extraordinary circumstances can often be a dull character, as then he's simply plain ordinary (which is why I usually don't like them in harem comedies, as the only "challenge" they often have there is handling a harem - not exactly most guys' worst nightmare ).

But an Everyman that's challenged by truly extraordinary circumstances (as we see here in Guilty Crown) can...

1) Make for an effective thematic commentary on humans in general, and how we handle (or would handle) certain extreme challenges, pressures, and situations in life. Depending on how this is played, it can be either sobering (a tragic tale) or uplifting (an inspirational tale) or something inbetween.

2) Be able to slowly grow and develop in a compelling way making for a nice coming of age story.

3) Add to the realism value of a show (and hence, for some viewers at least, the immersion level of a show). An Everyman character will often come across as more real than a more eccentric or unusual character.

Anyway, I honestly didn't see any major problem with Shu in this. He was caught speechless a bit more than I'd like, but his overall personality seemed fine to me.

Shu also had some level of social awkwardness, but not to an extreme and debilitating degree. So I think he captures the "Average Guy" persona well.

Quote:

Now I don't dislike her at all,but for me to get attached to her she's going to need to do more than running around and saying a few one liners here and there.
I just get a lot of good vibes from her, and I've seen characters like her before, so I'm probably reading a lot into what to some viewers is little. I'll admit that I might even be being a bit presumptuous here, but I am hopeful of how her character will turn out based on initial impressions of her.

For the moment, I like how there's an air of mystery about her, similar to C.C. after the first episode of Code Geass, imo.
Old 2011-10-14, 01:43   Link #526
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
For the moment, I like how there's an air of mystery about her, similar to C.C. after the first episode of Code Geass, imo.
I am impartial to C.C. while I like this one As to what makes her "better", or at least easier to relate as far as I go, she seems to have a much deeper connection to Shu than C.C. ever did to Lelouch (flashbacks hint at that) for one and for the other, she seems to be much much less powerful (thus she doesn't have a choice to just walk away like C.C. did) but seems to also be that much more optimistic and thus, with that much stronger personality (C.C. kind of just gave up and went along with things even when she had the power to stop things and had a very weak personality imo). It also helps that she is far sexier and sings with a beautiful voice Oh and the "mystery" that surrounds her seems to be deeper than the "mystery" about C.C. (which wasn't anything impressive or splendid or heck, even mysterious, at all imho).
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 02:01   Link #527
Jarmel

This actually reminded me more of Eureka Seven if anything.

Anyway time to delve into speculation. It definitely seems to imply that he knew her in the past and blocked out memories of her. In one of the memory flashbacks he has earlier we saw Inori with rocks coming out of her skin(similar in design and color as to the sword he pulls out) so the sword might be the representation of his guilt in regards to failing to protect her when he was younger.

It also seems like she has some sort of berserk mode judging by the scene at 19:25. So it possibly could be guilt over his failure to stop her/save her. Also the warehouse might have been a place they played together as kids hence her running there and him still using it as a getaway. It looks like both don't remember each other due to the introduction part so selective amnesia I guess.

There also looks to have been another kid that he knew who ends up dying or atleast seriously injured due to the events in the past(19:28). The kid looks dead but who knows.

In addittion, there is a third kid at 19:30 whose hair seems whiter which might be Daryl Yan. He also is the same age as the rest so he fits timewise.

This is a wild guess but my idea is that the first kid is Gai. Both have the same eye color and roughly same hair color. Gai knew Shouma's name before he even introduced himself. Now before someone says the robot could have relayed the information back, Gai asks Shouma what happened to Inori which implies there hasn't been any transmission from the robot.

Also they seem to imply that the date the virus started was 12-23-28(hence the term Lost Christmas) but the image uses the word Start which makes it seem like it was an experiment that got out of control. There is also a flashback of the head scientist who talks with one of the representatives of Japan which seems like Shu was already involved in this before the first episode.

What I don't understand is why they showed a flashback to his mother among all of this. It's rather out of place which could mean she was a scientist at one of the labs involved with the Void stuff. His mother has the same hair and eye color as the female assistant to the head scientist but brown hair/brown eye isn't exactly uncommon. She also has the same earrings but the assistant has a charm around her neck, that you don't see the mother having.

Last edited by Jarmel; 2011-10-14 at 03:23.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 02:10   Link #528
Ezilled

The level of competition of this season is seriously entering at maximum overdrive, and one of the anticipated shows, Guilty Crown, has been reached into the top as expected and looked really promising at finest. The animation, visual gist, music timing, and exposition are nothing but stunning and cutting edge. The only downside I can nitpick of was the exploit of a typical high school protagonist set-up without any sense of interesting pointers. I may not be a fan of this static to dynamic development, but I think his resolve is solid enough as he protected what driving on his mind.

One thing for sure, it would be either a blockbuster hit or completely wasted product. But still no one can predict the outcome unless you see it through the end and hope for the best.

You know, I really can't get enough of Inori's character design especially on her.. yeah that front-row chest. A certain perverse will gotta urge his instinct as man, right?
Old 2011-10-14, 02:42   Link #529
7thFonon
seventh

Just got done watching some Guilty Crown.... Gotta say this series is looking really good. What a badass way to end the first episode.
7thFonon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 03:20   Link #530
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Well now, this was pretty good. Coming in with zero expectations and not really knowing what to expect, the first episode was a pretty solid surprise, especially in the production values department. The animation is highly impressive and the overall visual direction definitely leaves an impact.

I am slightly less convinced with the plot direction though, as much as can be judged from a single episode anyway. The serious and gritty mood doesn't really go hand in hand with Dantalian-esque weapon summoning from within the female lead, a sword which then proceeds to dismantle modern military equipment with ease. It requires a certain knack to seamlessly integrate fantasy and SciFi within the same setting, and I am yet convinced whether Guilty Crown has what it takes to do that. I absolutely loved the early parts of the episode, the chase with the mech, machinegun fire, missiles, stealth fields, a feeling which wasn't quite retained when Shu did his heroic charge with an oversized sword.

I am not passing any judgments yet, however, as how I end up perceiving the closing events of this episode will largely depend on how they are going to explain his powers, their origins, and how it all functions. If said later explanations can match the gritty SciFi feeling the show otherwise projects, I am all good. If they can't provide a satisfactory explanation, however, this will become a thorn in the show's side whenever said power gets invoked, which I imagine is going to be a fair deal. Time will tell I guess.

Another mixed bag is the music of the show - it ranges from beautifully mesmerizing (Inori and her signature song) to painfully overdone and intrusive - like the overdramatic rock theme played during Gai's entrance for example, or the closing piece with Shu VS the mecha. Rather than the mood-enchanting element it's supposed to be, the music during those scenes was very much in-your-face, to the point it actually broke the tension and made what could otherwise be cool scenes come across as slightly silly. Some subtlety would do wonders here, and make for a much more immersing experience overall. Rather than allowing you to get deeper immersed in the world, often the music felt like it was jumping at your face and dragging you out of it. Here's hoping they improve in this regard.

The main character ... bleh. My only reaction was to groan when we got to the school part and got a glimpse of Shu's persona, while thinking "not again one of these". I certainly would have appreciated his persona more if it wasn't yet another socially awkward recluse dissatisfied with himself over bizarre things who can barely stutter out three words at a time. (Yeah, you are really terrible for not assaulting military personnel in defense of an unknown female that's being arrested on the accusation of being a terrorist).

So ... yeah. A good start with interesting premise and a plot that promises a lot of exciting conspiracies, gritty mood and excellent production values, but with somewhat shaky execution that got in the way of the show being as good as it could be. I feel how good of a final product this will become will depend largely on the scene-by-scene executions. All the building material needed for a great story is certainly there, from setting to plot details that hint at deeper underlying connections to country-sized conspiracies, so it's up to the execution to mold those details to the best effect. As of ep1, it seems this house of cards can swing either way, though I have high hopes for it. Definitely one of the more ambitious starts of the season.
Old 2011-10-14, 03:49   Link #531
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Other than the massive sword for a super power I absolutely loved the episode. The animation, the music, the production values are through the roof. The characters were convincing and believable despite this strong sense of "seen it all before". Great introductory episode.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 04:09   Link #532
Tsukou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
The animation is crazy good - as good as anything I.G. has done since the greatness of 2007. Absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately I found the plot pretty derivative, and I confess I'm growing weary of Kaji Yuki. There's just no variation from role to role - he has one gear and he's always using it.
After one episode, I don't understand how you can call the plot derivative, when we don't really know the plot, at all. Maybe you're seeing something we don't that you can enlighten us on, but as far as I'm concerned between the crisp animation, and the intriguing premise that the show has laid down, I'm pretty eager to see the next episode.

Tho I can agree a little on Kaji Yuki, but for me it's acceptable, considering most VA's are typically typecast into specific roles, and very rarely are we genuinely surprised by them. Obviously there's exceptions, but because they do a good job in that role, I'm ok with it. It's like hating Bruce Willis for being that gungho badboy renegade. Or Will Smith for being the smartass black guy. But I still love them anyways.
Tsukou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 04:10   Link #533
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Awesome animation, as expected from IG. Bland characters are bland though (for both Inori and Shu to be exact). I can enjoy popcorn anime as the next fan, but I do hope Araki can differentiate this show somewhat; not really expecting much from the plot, but at least with the characterization and direction (what was with that unnecessary narration?). Granted this is no Kurozuka (which is still the show that I associate with Araki the most), but still...
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 04:34   Link #534
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
Anyway time to delve into speculation. It definitely seems to imply that he knew her in the past and blocked out memories of her. In one of the memory flashbacks he has earlier we saw Inori with rocks coming out of her skin(similar in design and color as to the sword he pulls out) so the sword might be the representation of his guilt in regards to failing to protect her when he was younger.
That's an interesting speculation. I didn't think the girl in the flashbacks was Inori (and I still don't, as I prefer to wait for more concrete evidence), I was thinking she was entirely different character. But we'll see. It's cool that you caught the similarities of the rock designs, though.
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 04:46   Link #535
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
That's an interesting speculation. I didn't think the girl in the flashbacks was Inori (and I still don't, as I prefer to wait for more concrete evidence), I was thinking she was entirely different character. But we'll see. It's cool that you caught the similarities of the rock designs, though.
Indeed, I don't think the girl from the flashback is Inori, more like Ionri reminds him of that someone. Probably whatever happened to said girl in the past caused our main character to retreat within himself and become the social recluse that he is, would be my guess.
Old 2011-10-14, 05:26   Link #536
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Well the girl in the flashbacks has the same basic physical characteristics, mainly pink hair and red eyes(interestingly enough so does Shu) as Inori. Both of them do that thing with the string as well as use roughly the same line. So it would have to be extremely coincidental. Then after the first flashback, Shouma states,"What was that?" as if that memory popped out of nowhere. That suggests that he blocked and forgot something.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 05:38   Link #537
iceyfw

KEK. ok an alright episode. but seriously, that music when gai first appears was totally unnecessary and out of place in the position shu was in. it ruined the mood. oh, and the robot shooting the vial magically without hurting shu. my suspension of disbelief just faded away after that.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 05:43   Link #538
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Btw the damn trailer spoiling thing too much, I think that ruining my experience quite a bit.
Old 2011-10-14, 05:47   Link #539
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcExAlcHeMy View Post
oh, and the robot shooting the vial magically without hurting shu. my suspension of disbelief just faded away after that.
Yeah I was kinda surprised that Shuu was unharmed from that blast but I think what happened was that once the vial broke he was immediately surrounded by some sort of area that protected him (which is kinda convenient if his weapon retreiving sequences are always gonna be that long)
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 05:52   Link #540
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Iby
I think that this girl from his flashback isn't Inori 'cause the color of her hair is different (and Inori also didn't know the Shu's name); also, I suppose that she became the victim of that virus or some experiment.
Iby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, noitamina, production_ig