AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2016-05-07, 16:28   Link #501
carcanclaw
Kitty?
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN 119 View Post
Lets see here, inhuman horrors that represent one's issues. Definitely getting a Silent Hill vibe from this one, however, the sudden appearance of those giant... things did definitely break the subtlety and pacing of the story.

Still, I will continue watching this, however, I'd say any chances of this being the next Higurashi were out the window a while ago.

Now, we as with every work of fiction where mysterious supernatural phenomena happen, just have to figure out, what is causing this time!

Is it:

demons?

aliens?

Cthulhu?

a curse?

a virus?

drugs?

or is it all in your head?
I'm sticking with the "They're already dead and this is purgatory" theory, which seems like the most likely route at this point. It's the only reason I can think of for why they didn't really conclude any of the flashbacks, cutting them off at their most intense moments.

Seeing Lovepon face the full wrath of her abuser, or Nyanta suffering her stingy fate would have been terrifying, so why wouldn't a horror anime decide to show those scenes?

Because they actually died in those incidents, and they're saving the conclusions of those scenes for a big revelation later. Lovepon was beaten to death, Nyanta was stung to death, Mikage jumped in front of a train after his career was ruined, Jigoku probably got some sort of horrible infection, etc.

This is all about these dead people coming to terms with their cruel deaths.
carcanclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-07, 19:13   Link #502
Peanutbutter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
The "purgatory" theory seems most probable at this point. I look forward to the more creative reasons to why or how some of the more sane people died.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-07, 19:32   Link #503
BWTraveller
Azure Dragon reborn
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Texas
The one problem with the purgatory bit is why some people disappeared. I mean, neither of the "dead" people were good people, so I'm not buying that they managed to move on up.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-07, 19:58   Link #504
serenade_beta
☆げしげし☆
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
It would be parody if it was played for comedy, but it wasn't.
This anime is a comedy. so...
__________________

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-07, 21:15   Link #505
carcanclaw
Kitty?
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
The one problem with the purgatory bit is why some people disappeared. I mean, neither of the "dead" people were good people, so I'm not buying that they managed to move on up.
I don't think it's a "good or evil" thing, but more of a "do you accept that you're really dead" thing.

It would add extra significance to the ghost from this episode, which took the forms of the cast's original killers. It's trying to remind them of what happened to them, trying to make their original deaths stick.
carcanclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-07, 21:43   Link #506
Utsuro no Hako
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcanclaw View Post
I don't think it's a "good or evil" thing, but more of a "do you accept that you're really dead" thing.

It would add extra significance to the ghost from this episode, which took the forms of the cast's original killers. It's trying to remind them of what happened to them, trying to make their original deaths stick.
I see how the bee and the Hannya mask could fit that theory, but not the train or giant boob. Are we supposing that Jigoku killed himself in humiliation? Or that the scale ruptured the silicone and gave him toxic shock?
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-07, 22:12   Link #507
Triple_R
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 37
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcanclaw View Post
I'm sticking with the "They're already dead and this is purgatory" theory, which seems like the most likely route at this point.
Your theory is interesting, and I appreciate the thought you've put into it.

That being said, I hope you're wrong. Because if you're right it'll probably make Mayoiga feel like a weaker version of a Key-style narrative.


Quote:
It's the only reason I can think of for why they didn't really conclude any of the flashbacks, cutting them off at their most intense moments.
Maybe because scaring the audience isn't at all the point of this show? I don't know about you, but I haven't once felt frightened or even particularly creeped out by a scene in this show. Most horror anime usually manage to creep me out some, at least.

Also, we might have seen all there really is to see for Mikage and Jigoku's stories. Their backstories may very well end just before each guy decides to get away from normal society and head off to this mysterious village.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-08, 04:17   Link #508
Arya
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
I'll add that Nyanta has a new outfit that doesn't match with the flashback, like she decided to make a big change in her life .. like adventuring into a mysterious village
Also her knowledge about soft guns & tricks seemed higher than back to that flashback.
__________________

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-08, 04:42   Link #509
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
This anime is a comedy. so...
You, for some reason I don't quite understand, decided that it is. It's not what I am seeing, however.


Things that "make you laugh" or "just can't seem to take seriously" do not a comedy make. Comedy is about intent, not result.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-08, 05:28   Link #510
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hyakka Ryoran
Age: 28
Send a message via ICQ to Iby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Coa View Post
But this comes from the same person why wrote 'Another' so I would not be surprised giving how that show ended.

And why do I have a feeling that 90% of deaths will be in the last 3 episodes? Just like 'Another'?
This is quite possible as people could very easily start killing each other over mass paranoia, if that starts half of them could easily die in a single episode.
Wrong. It's from the same director, not writer. BTW that writer is working on this season's Kuromukuro
Iby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-08, 06:25   Link #511
BWTraveller
Azure Dragon reborn
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcanclaw View Post
I don't think it's a "good or evil" thing, but more of a "do you accept that you're really dead" thing.

It would add extra significance to the ghost from this episode, which took the forms of the cast's original killers. It's trying to remind them of what happened to them, trying to make their original deaths stick.
Those two also didn't seem to show any evidence of accepting anything, so no better than good or evil. In fact, they seemed like the two who would fight the idea the most.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-08, 06:39   Link #512
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in the land down under...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iby View Post
Wrong. It's from the same director, not writer. BTW that writer is working on this season's Kuromukuro
And that writer didn't come up with that story in the first place--Another was based on a novel.

But the truth is, you CAN say that Mizushima is involved in 'writing' Mayoiga. At the very least, it was him, Okada and two producers (one each from diomedea and Pony Canyon) who came up with this story.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: it's not all Okada's doing.
__________________

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.


"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-08, 06:47   Link #513
Nork22
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New Zealand
Age: 36
So some back story about the humiliation and abuse these misfits got into before coming to this village. Really, at this point I don't really care and the show just doesn't give me the opportunity to care as well. They almost had me at Lovepon's problem, but ughh... there are far better ways of offing the monk without getting caught.
__________________
"Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment." - POD 153
My DVD Collection | My Anime List
Nork22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-08, 07:32   Link #514
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hyakka Ryoran
Age: 28
Send a message via ICQ to Iby
Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again: it's not all Okada's doing.
Also she has written only the first 3 episode here compared to Kiznaiver where she writes every episode.
Iby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-08, 07:39   Link #515
Triple_R
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 37
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
You, for some reason I don't quite understand, decided that it is. It's not what I am seeing, however.
At this juncture, I see two different ways to view Mayoiga:

1. Really bad serious horror/mystery/thriller.

2. Clever and amusing parody.

Me viewing the show as a parody is actually me giving it the benefit of the doubt and being generous to it and the people behind it.

And I don't think I'm alone here.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-08, 08:15   Link #516
Dextro
He Without a Title
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The land of tempura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
By the way, I noticed that Dahara is getting ignored by Koharun as she goes to Valkana instead. I feel that he'll become so angry that Dahara will try to murder Valkana out of spite!
I'm going out on a limb here and say that the one who gets attack is Koharun herself. I get the feeling it's that kind of show
__________________
Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-08, 08:47   Link #517
Arya
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
^ Yeah, I have the same feeling about that.
__________________

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-08, 09:19   Link #518
Utsuro no Hako
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
And that writer didn't come up with that story in the first place--Another was based on a novel.
However, pretty much everything people hate about Another -- the beach episode and the over the top Final Destination deaths in the last two episodes -- are anime original, so on that level it's fair to take the show as an indicator of what Mizushima thinks horror is supposed to be.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-08, 09:26   Link #519
gecd
Cah Gunungkidul
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Jogja
Age: 30
I just got the feeling that peoples keep bashing this anime because Okada
__________________
Wedang Jahe Kalengan, teman anda melewati malam yang dingin dan sepi!

0% alcohol, 80% ginger syrup, 10% love, 10% GALAU!!
gecd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-08, 09:51   Link #520
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
At this juncture, I see two different ways to view Mayoiga:

1. Really bad serious horror/mystery/thriller.

2. Clever and amusing parody.

Me viewing the show as a parody is actually me giving it the benefit of the doubt and being generous to it and the people behind it.

And I don't think I'm alone here.
I would agree with you if the show actually had any elements of a parody.

If it were a parody, it would fail quite hard at it.

Just look at the opening, the music, the ambience, and the way the characters interact. It's all being played straight. I will admit, I have absolutely no idea what this is supposed to be, but it lacks any elements of comedy or parody.

The marshmallow man in Ghost Busters wasn't funny because it was a marshmallow man. It was funny because of the context in which it was placed.

Last edited by Dengar; 2016-05-08 at 10:42.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.