AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 15
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 45 24.86%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 46 25.41%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 49 27.07%
7 out of 10 : Good... 24 13.26%
6 out of 10 : Average... 6 3.31%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.55%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 5 2.76%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 2 1.10%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.55%
1 out of 10 : Tortuous... 2 1.10%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-10-14, 22:48   Link #321
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
So is the second game not a death game?
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 23:45   Link #322
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
So is the second game not a death game?
No one knows from an anime standpoint...

Take that question to the appropriate thread.
Old 2012-10-14, 23:55   Link #323
Eclipze

No wonder some people are disliking/dropping this, the set up with Sugou is practically what you see in NTR doujins. Ah, the ones that will spawn from this...

Welcome to NTR online!
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 01:04   Link #324
dark998

Quite excited for this new arc. Where to begin?

New OP: Better than the first one by a small margin.
New ED: Much better than the first one.
Suguha: STACKED.
Sugou: Haha, time for NTR.
Actual story: So Kirito is going to dive into another game to rescue his princess with the help of his sis-err cousin who loves him and will suffer in consequence? Ok, I can dig it.

Not a big fan of the new elf/fairy avatars but I can get over that as well, I guess.
dark998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 01:47   Link #325
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark998 View Post
Quite excited for this new arc. Where to begin?

New OP: Better than the first one by a small margin.
New ED: Much better than the first one.
Suguha: STACKED.
Sugou: Haha, time for NTR.
Actual story: So Kirito is going to dive into another game to rescue his princess with the help of his sis-err cousin who loves him and will suffer in consequence? Ok, I can dig it.

Not a big fan of the new elf/fairy avatars but I can get over that as well, I guess.
I don't know... does Sugu know how to play a VRMMO, given the context of the ep?
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 01:51   Link #326
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Seems likely. She did mention having a secret that she wasn't going tell just yet. Given the context it felt like it was an "opposite" thing. Kendo is Suguha's thing, and Kirito did surprisingly well at it... so if online games are his thing...
Old 2012-10-15, 01:55   Link #327
itoastmysocks
Rabbit Flavored Socks YUM

Why is everyone so against Elves/Fae?

It's just ears...
itoastmysocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 02:02   Link #328
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Seems likely. She did mention having a secret that she wasn't going tell just yet. Given the context it felt like it was an "opposite" thing. Kendo is Suguha's thing, and Kirito did surprisingly well at it... so if online games are his thing...
Yeah, it was sort of implied there that she wanted to say that they were both interested in each other's hobbies.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 02:02   Link #329
Zeriand
Banned

Uh, given that he's been fighting using swords for like 2 years straight in SAO, I actually think that Kirito did exceptionally POOR against Suguha because one, he doesn't follow Kendo rules. Two, the techniques he's learned in SAO is used to kill. Three, well, he's practically trained in the virtual world day and night in sword fighting, even if some of them are non-applicable in real life.

The only disadvantage he has against Suguha was his weak body, and his misconception that certain sword skills in VR would work in real life. Suguha's Kendo training would've confined her to hitting the head, side and chest (I think?) area only, and Suguha WON. That is kind of... upsetting.

There's one thing that I find weird, and that's Suguha's surprise at how good Kirito is at swordfighting. I mean, c'mon, he's trapped in a virtual world called Sword Arts Online, why would you ever be surprised that he's giving you one helluva sword challenge? She should've been surprised that he didn't faceroll her instead!
Zeriand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 02:13   Link #330
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeriand View Post
Uh, given that he's been fighting using swords for like 2 years straight in SAO, I actually think that Kirito did exceptionally POOR against Suguha because one, he doesn't follow Kendo rules. Two, the techniques he's learned in SAO is used to kill. Three, well, he's practically trained in the virtual world day and night in sword fighting, even if some of them are non-applicable in real life.

The only disadvantage he has against Suguha was his weak body, and his misconception that certain sword skills in VR would work in real life. Suguha's Kendo training would've confined her to hitting the head, side and chest (I think?) area only, and Suguha WON. That is kind of... upsetting.

There's one thing that I find weird, and that's Suguha's surprise at how good Kirito is at swordfighting. I mean, c'mon, he's trapped in a virtual world called Sword Arts Online, why would you ever be surprised that he's giving you one helluva sword challenge? She should've been surprised that he didn't faceroll her instead!
most if not all sword skill in SAO are auto, I don't think that help his swordmanship at all.

and don't forget that Suguha is a quaterfinalist in a national tournament.
Old 2012-10-15, 02:16   Link #331
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by itoastmysocks View Post
Why is everyone so against Elves/Fae?

It's just ears...
I suppose you could say the time of elves is over. In a very loose and subjective timeline:

80's: warriors
90's: elves
00's: demons

I don't really mind, but a bit of diversity wouldn't hurt.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 02:16   Link #332
Zeriand
Banned

All skills have cooldowns, and in between there you would always try to slot in some attacks right? Not to mention that Kirito is a solo player and has an exceptional amount of individual skills.
Zeriand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 02:23   Link #333
Clarste
Human

Not sure why you'd think the things he fought in the game would be more skilled than a national-level kendo practitioner. The monsters obviously have limited AIs and mainly only had the advantage of inhuman strength and size. And the people he dueled were similarly just gamers who spent most of their time trying to abuse the monster AI. I don't see how any of that would prepare you to win a kendo match. The only bits that carried over would be general reaction speed and dodging instincts.
Old 2012-10-15, 02:24   Link #334
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:

Actually I think the opposite to you... For me it highlights one of the fundamental things that not so good teachers don't focus on; footwork. The fact he kept up with Sug based on foot work and timing actually makes it really realistic for me. Strength and actual use of some fancy skill would require training in real life. He has been in the gym and it doesn't take that long for the body to readjust to the state of the body (or go out of shape ), but no way to replicate any complex sword moves (and his sparring hints heavily that this is the first time he has tried it)

One of the biggest examples I can think of is T'ai chi ch'uan, some people just wave their arms about and focus on their breathing, but if you go to a good class the one thing you should notice the next day is how much your legs and hips hurt, because the teacher will be focusing on your stance and foot work.

Even a seemingly weak old person can defend themselves very well if they have been taught good fundamentals.

Sure playing a game is nothing like the real thing, but the VR of SAO does seem to be closer the real thing to the current gaming situations..

Also one good thing is the person shouldn't get physically tired (not talking about stress related), so could practice a lot more then a person in real life.

One practice is that you train so hard you lose focus, then you start practising moves over and over again, this is to ensure that you don't get sloppy when you are tired. This won't happen in SAO, but ofc it should hit Kirito a lot more during his sparring match, which could be also another reason why he didn't last very long.
Old 2012-10-15, 02:28   Link #335
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Btw, joke question. Can we count on Sugou being gentlemanly enough as to not violate Asuna in her coma sometime ago already? Probably sometime during ep.10 for more dramatic effect......
Old 2012-10-15, 02:32   Link #336
Marina2

Quote:

Uh,...no You underestimated Kendo too much. Kendo is adapted from a real sword fight.

Kazuto has been fighting using swords for like 2 years straight in SAO, but Suguha has been training Kendo IN REAL LIFE longer than that. It's normal that her reaction will be better.

Hitting other players in Kendo is also harder because you must say where you'll hit other players (which give them a chance to defend) before you can hit them (If you don't do that = no score).

Moreover, Kendo players are trained to defend from getting hit in head, body, and hand so, their defend are not weak too.
Old 2012-10-15, 02:47   Link #337
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Gonna have to disagree with you there.

1. Not sure how the kendo rule bits apply, it's not as if Kirito started throwing grenades and going in wrestling UFC style. They're still sparring with bamboo swords ya know?

2. read above.

3. It's one thing to do mental training, which is what ultimately all the fighting in SAO boils down to.

It does not, however, train your actual body. The precision of movement, power, speed of your actual muscles is something that needs to be trained and built up, there's no shortcut around that one.

In short, even if you know how to do something, it doesn't mean much if your body isn't capable of carrying it out.

Quote:
Suguha's Kendo training would've confined her to hitting the head, side and chest (I think?) area only, and Suguha WON. That is kind of... upsetting.
head, wrist, throat, and body.

Quote:
Not really. To put things into perspective, let's assume that someone got stuck in a virtual world called Gun Arts Online for two years, now who do you think would better in a shoot out, the dude that was trapped, or say a Marine sniper?

I know who I'd pick
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 03:08   Link #338
Key Board
Carbon

All skills in SAO are system assisted

Thus, they have very little application in real life

maxing out your cooking/forging/fishing/sword skills in SAO does not make you a better at it in real life
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 03:30   Link #339
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
All skills in SAO are system assisted

Thus, they have very little application in real life

maxing out your cooking/forging/fishing/sword skills in SAO does not make you a better at it in real life
Now to be fair, normal sword swings in SAO aren't system assisted, it's only the Sword Skills that are.

For example, the fighting between Kirito and Heathcliff were for the most part done manually, as Kirito was avoiding using Sword Skills.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 03:37   Link #340
Clarste
Human

It's not like Heathcliff is a master swordsman in real life either though.