AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-12-26, 14:29   Link #1
dmaxzero

Sci fi/ Mecha/ Space Opera/ Cyborgs and stuff

I guess this is my first thread here, in Animesuki.

Well, I guess I have ran out of viable ideas of what to look in the anime scifi genre.
I am looking for something normally serious, good action when it counts, a decent plot.

I still am looking something with the size and scope that Captain Taylor offered back in the day, maybe someone here knows something.

In any case, much appreciated any idea you may have.
dmaxzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-26, 23:32   Link #2
jedinat

Space Battleship Yamato 2199
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-27, 00:50   Link #3
SZinnocence
~~Jinx~~

mai-hime 1st come to mind
and you could also try
Guilty Crown.
Old 2013-12-27, 03:16   Link #4
xl_Legit_lx
Destruction by Carnage
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to xl_Legit_lx Send a message via MSN to xl_Legit_lx Send a message via Yahoo to xl_Legit_lx
Code Geass
Valvrave the Liberator
Gundam SEED
Guilty Crown (not as mech as the others, and story is a bit..weird)
xl_Legit_lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-27, 12:01   Link #5
chocolatemilkgod
The "Insane" Biochemist

Legend of the galactic heroes is probably my favourite anime, and is truly a great space opera. It's a little old so don't expect amazing graphical fidelity (although I quite like the older style), but the universe that it presents is fascinating and the characters feel real. The german aesthetic in the future is also quite intriguing, and it's interesting seeing the 'future' from the eyes of people from ~25 years ago; a, dare I say, classic. It took a few episodes to get going, but once it picked up it doesn't really stop. Oh, and there's plenty of action and stuff mixed in with intrigue and interesting plot as well, so no worries.

Oh, and my avatar doesn't make me biased... much.
chocolatemilkgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-27, 13:48   Link #6
dmaxzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
I am interested in this one, havenīt been able to decide to watch it or not. But Iīll put it in the list no doubt. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZinnocence View Post
mai-hime 1st come to mind
and you could also try
Guilty Crown.
Mai Hime didnt like it, but thanks for the suggestion.

Guilty Crow was interesting to watch but didnīt fit my style much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xl_Legit_lx View Post
Code Geass
Valvrave the Liberator
Gundam SEED
Guilty Crown (not as mech as the others, and story is a bit..weird)
Code Gueass was an amazing show.
Gundam is all about the Universal Century, honestly I do not enjoy much the side lines stories, but thanks anyway.
I am seeing Valvrave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatemilkgod View Post
Legend of the galactic heroes is probably my favourite anime, and is truly a great space opera. It's a little old so don't expect amazing graphical fidelity (although I quite like the older style), but the universe that it presents is fascinating and the characters feel real. The german aesthetic in the future is also quite intriguing, and it's interesting seeing the 'future' from the eyes of people from ~25 years ago; a, dare I say, classic. It took a few episodes to get going, but once it picked up it doesn't really stop. Oh, and there's plenty of action and stuff mixed in with intrigue and interesting plot as well, so no worries.

Oh, and my avatar doesn't make me biased... much.
I had this one in the corner of my eyes from a long time, every time I decide to go and get, I back down. Guess is time to just go down to it.

Thanks for the resume.
Old 2013-12-29, 15:24   Link #7
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Crest of the Stars

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-29, 18:42   Link #8
Kotohono
Yuri ĩ'serator

For Sci-fi setting, maybe Psycho-Pass.

For space opera type, I'd suggest Mouretsu Pirates, though don't expect a huge among of action, in every episode, but I'd might fit good action when it counts.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-04, 20:18   Link #9
Siphine
The Dreamer

Suisei no Gargantia is space opera, mecha, and of course sci-fi. Also some romance elements and comedy at times

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Siphine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-06, 20:57   Link #10
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
This.

It will be out in North American (on DVD and BD) as Star Blazers 2199 starting in February. If you can't find it elsewhere (online or from Japan). These will be subtitled in English and Spanish.
Old 2014-01-08, 08:39   Link #11
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Space:

Crest of the Stars
Galaxy Express 999
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Space Battleship Yamato (the original is better)
Captain Harlock
PlanetES

Cyborg:

Ghost in the Shell (movies and 2 TV series)
Mardock Scramble (3 movies)

Sci-fi:

Ergo Proxy
Kaiba
Akira

Mecha:

Gundam Zeta
Full Metal Panic

Not strictly any of the genres you mentioned but may have the style/components you want:

Now and Then, Here and There
The Sky Crawlers
Fist of the North Star

Hope you find something you like.
Old 2014-01-08, 16:49   Link #12
dmaxzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Space:

Crest of the Stars
Galaxy Express 999
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Space Battleship Yamato (the original is better)
Captain Harlock
PlanetES

Cyborg:

Ghost in the Shell (movies and 2 TV series)
Mardock Scramble (3 movies)

Sci-fi:

Ergo Proxy
Kaiba
Akira

Mecha:

Gundam Zeta
Full Metal Panic

Not strictly any of the genres you mentioned but may have the style/components you want:

Now and Then, Here and There
The Sky Crawlers
Fist of the North Star

Hope you find something you like.
You Space section has me very interested, some figure as classics but I ll give them a go. TY

Gundam Z is very good, and Full Metal Panic is great, I also read the novels and I am waiting for more tv series... I know it wont happen, but still.

Sky Crawlers great. Fist of the North Star hands down...

Great suggestions.
Old 2014-01-09, 09:18   Link #13
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Here are a couple of shows not mentioned so far:

First is Shirow Masamune's Real Drive. This comes closest to your request with androids and humans who are physically interconnected via networks. No space travel, though. A lot of it takes place when people "dive" into the "The Metal" which is represented visually as ocean diving.

Next I'll toss out Noein, a story loosely based on the "many-worlds" interpretation of quantum theory. A war between two other "dimensions" threatens to engulf the dimension in which we live. Following the norms of anime, the crux of the conflict centers in a Japanese middle-schooler. Manga appears to have lost the license, though there are still copies available at Amazon and torrents in the usual places.

Finally, I'll recommend Dennou Coil because it is a sci-fi show that everyone should try. It depicts a world with a virtual reality layer on top of physical reality. The virtual world is only visible via special glasses largely used by children. There are darker forces at work in the virtual space that may have resulted in the death of one of the children. Remarkably imaginative and excellently animated, it's among my top-ten shows.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-09, 15:14   Link #14
TheSix

When talking about Space Opera, the Macross franchise definitely deserves mention: Their concepts may seem somewhat ridiculous, but solid writing often transforms them into great experiences. In particular, Super Dimension Fortress, Plus, and Frontier all display pretty exemplary pacing and theming, with some excellent action scenes accompanying this.
Old 2014-01-15, 10:59   Link #15
dmaxzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Here are a couple of shows not mentioned so far:

First is Shirow Masamune's Real Drive. This comes closest to your request with androids and humans who are physically interconnected via networks. No space travel, though. A lot of it takes place when people "dive" into the "The Metal" which is represented visually as ocean diving.

Next I'll toss out Noein, a story loosely based on the "many-worlds" interpretation of quantum theory. A war between two other "dimensions" threatens to engulf the dimension in which we live. Following the norms of anime, the crux of the conflict centers in a Japanese middle-schooler. Manga appears to have lost the license, though there are still copies available at Amazon and torrents in the usual places.

Finally, I'll recommend Dennou Coil because it is a sci-fi show that everyone should try. It depicts a world with a virtual reality layer on top of physical reality. The virtual world is only visible via special glasses largely used by children. There are darker forces at work in the virtual space that may have resulted in the death of one of the children. Remarkably imaginative and excellently animated, it's among my top-ten shows.
Thank you very much. Added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSix View Post
When talking about Space Opera, the Macross franchise definitely deserves mention: Their concepts may seem somewhat ridiculous, but solid writing often transforms them into great experiences. In particular, Super Dimension Fortress, Plus, and Frontier all display pretty exemplary pacing and theming, with some excellent action scenes accompanying this.
Macross Plus is still my favorite of all time.

The original series and movie have a special place in my mind, I cant comment on them cause I am totally biased.

Frontier was nice to watch, had some things that didnt like... I enjoyed the movies more than the series; though maybe more content was needed. Still great show.
Very disappointed that the 30th anniversary didnīt bring a new show.