Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-01-05, 09:19   Link #81
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirn View Post
That's not what I mean. I have no problem watching it raw (which I did). The character settings in the episode is very clear, the problem is the episode itself.
Aaah, I gotcha.

Regarding your example, you are certainly correct. The show was messing with the timeline a little bit, so you had to "rearrange" the sequence of events in your head to understand everything. On the other hand, I like it when I'm forced to use my head some - when I'm expected to watch the characters and their actions, and to draw proper conclusions from that myself.

Take AkaneIro as opposite example: Here, the sidecharacters were used to repeat the most obvious observations to the viewer time and time again, so that he is literally forced to reach certain conclusions. No kind of brainwork involved at all. This kind of storytelling has unfortunately become all too prevalent nowadays, it simplifies (to avoid the more appropriate "stupidifies") the story for easy consumption. Compared to that, WA might seem relatively complicated. True.

Thank god, if you ask me ^_^;
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 09:45   Link #82
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

The music of the anime just pales when compared to the game, to me they just don't have capture that winter atmospheric feel like the original soundtrack has.

I have no idea why they have to remove the original title song when it works fine even after all these years. (It's been on my playlist for every Christmas for about a decade.) Less can be said about the ED. Maybe it's because they sound too 90's ?

Let's hope they retain the game's soundtrack instead of taking anime's now.

Edit :- Whaddaya know, after running a search for the music files on the cluttered maze that is my HDD, I found I have the English Vocal Soul-dified version of Powder Snow (Game ED) . The lyrics is certain touching :-

Spoiler:

Last edited by MakubeX2; 2009-01-05 at 10:13.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 10:12   Link #83
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

It's a shame so many people are just going to blow this show away because it's nothing like today's romance shows. The romance just flows completely different, in the way it just seems more realistic and true --- like any romance anime you'd find from the 80s.

Gotta love how we see the complete collection of Cat's Eye in Touya's room.
Old 2009-01-05, 10:53   Link #84
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

First comment from me in this thread...not sure whether i want to go for this show or not.The fact that Mizuki Nana CVing on this show really makes me happy..beside it was adapted from the company that made To Heart,and animated by the studio that created Nanoha.Another +1 point is the fact that Eclipse take the job to sub this show..its like saying "if Eclipse picked it,then surely the show is good".On the nutshell,everything about this show is good...

That was until my friend told me that the male lead in this show is the most bastard male lead ever,only to be seconded by Makoto from School Days.Not really sure what he mean there but he tl;dr his comment by stating that White Album is the bloodless version of School Days.Hope i was hearing wrong about this part of White Album...

Anyway since it is subbed by Eclipse..i'm gonna give this show a few eps first before deciding whether i should go for this show or not.The OP and ED weren't that bad...Mizuki Nana as always gave her best for every song that she sang..as for Suara,although her song was nice,but i think i still like her Kimikiss 2nd ED more than the song that she sang for White Album ED.
margafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 11:13   Link #85
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by margafred View Post
Another +1 point is the fact that Eclipse take the job to sub this show..its like saying "if Eclipse picked it,then surely the show is good".
the only "good" show that eclipse has ever subbed was geass r2, and even then that was only good in a "it sucks but it's so hilariously over the top that you can't help but enjoy it" kind of way (and I say this as a member of eclipse, so it's not group bashing)

that is off topic though, and my take on this show is that it's generic h-game adaption #15353 that tries to be nongeneric by taking the "artsy" route, which usually results in a lot of onscreen text so you have to pause to have to read all the time, "radical" (read: shitty and incoherent) storytelling and general incomprehensibility; this show does at least the first two with a touch of the third.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 11:24   Link #86
Mentar
Banned

*grins*

Fluffy always hates the shows he's working on. And all other shows too. Can't be helped ... and that he's got to time the non-audio "thoughts" of Touya too just adds insult to injury!
Old 2009-01-05, 12:18   Link #87
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I don't know... I have to say that the more I think about the first episode, the more I appreciate it and really like it. It's definitely one of the more daring and clever series openers I've seen in a while.

A major theme of the episode is "time", and they did all sorts of clever things to play with this concept. Not up on the names yet, but...

- The guy's friend and his crush on the girl that lends the lead the poetry book. The lead says that it's been years, and the guy says he "goes at his own pace".

- Later, the encounter with the tennis girl on the bike who lost her brother. The friend this time makes a unintentionally hurtful comment, and the lead comments that it takes some longer than others.

- The numerous conversations he has with Yuki where he's watching her on TV in order to keep up with what she's doing, with her pointing out "that was a recording", including the whole "ruined dress" story used as an illustration. (Note how they paused the display right on Yuki's dress so the viewers could go "huh? it's not ruined?", and then the phone call and all the flashbacks -- oops, you're a week late!)

- The conversation about Yuki being the lead's "every day", and the retort about "how many months has it been since your every day".

Basically, the episode was about how everyone has their own reality operating at different speeds and times, and relationships only exist at the intersection of those points. At this point in the show, none of the characters "times" are in alignment, which is why the lead feels that his relationship with Yuki is slipping by him -- because she's moving much faster than he is, and not only is he not able to keep up, but she's not able to slow down either.

Anyway, it's very clever. I'm definitely going to watch the first episode again as soon as I can, because it's one of those shows that's rich with symbolism. If it seems confusing at first, it's only because they're trying to throw you into the "time" the lead lives in -- where everything seems jumbled and messed up. The objective of this show, I imagine, is to eventually straighten things out (though I imagine it'll certainly get more messy along the way). It's a bit soap-opera-ish, but the clever writing's definitely got me interested, anyway.

Edit: Oh! I forgot another obvious illustration in my list above -- the very beginning. Calendar -- "be at work at 8!" Gets up late, stares at clock: "It stopped? Must be noon by now!" Ended up late, lost his job. Combined with all the above... foreshadowing much? I'm sure there are a lot of others too.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2009-01-05 at 12:42.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 12:57   Link #88
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

Still trying to straighten the confusion from the story right now...keep repeating few scenes again and again just to get the things right.I won't give up this show yet just becoz of this labyrinth like storyline...

But before that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
the only "good" show that eclipse has ever subbed was geass r2, and even then that was only good in a "it sucks but it's so hilariously over the top that you can't help but enjoy it" kind of way (and I say this as a member of eclipse, so it's not group bashing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
*grins*

Fluffy always hates the shows he's working on. And all other shows too. Can't be helped ... and that he's got to time the non-audio "thoughts" of Touya too just adds insult to injury!
Heh...

I can't help myself but to say this for you guys at Eclipse
Spoiler for erm....:
Old 2009-01-05, 13:00   Link #89
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
That was until my friend told me that the male lead in this show is the most bastard male lead ever,only to be seconded by Makoto from School Days.Not really sure what he mean there but he tl;dr his comment by stating that White Album is the bloodless version of School Days.Hope i was hearing wrong about this part of White Album...
(;゚Д゚) Na... Nadatte?!
Then this is a must-watch... Hmm~, wonder if the anime will be twisted from the game like School Days did...

Quote:
Still trying to straighten the confusion from the story right now...
Good-Luck~! (´;ω;`)

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 13:13   Link #90
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

Somehow this show seems to be pretty hit or miss. Most posts either said this was boring, or said it's a clever series in a while.

This is definately slow paced drama, not for everyone. I think people who enjoyed True Tears or maybe KimiKiss would enjoy this. At least I enjoyed these two other series too.

After watching the subbed version, parts have became more clear and parts have became more confusing. But I do like how the conversations aren't built up to make watchers understand the story, it felt like a real 'slice' of life, where conversation aren't going to explain everything.

I'm definately more fond of the songs in it, when I first heard the radio rip of the opening I didn't really like it. Now I think it sounds quite nice
Old 2009-01-05, 13:16   Link #91
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
(;゚Д゚) Na... Nadatte?!
Then this is a must-watch... Hmm~, wonder if the anime will be twisted from the game like School Days did...
I only hope that part that i heard is wrong...i don't really mind about some intense and twisted romance in a relationship between a guy and 2 girls but at least not to the extend that could even break School Days record...

And hopefully the storyline can be more solid and touching after this..i can already see the potential and real-ness of the story,and i hope there's no stupid joke appear out from nowhere that will kill my mood to watch this show.

P/s - So Aya Hirano won last season on her battle against Rie Kugimiya..but i don't wish to see Nana lose to Aya in this show.
Old 2009-01-05, 14:17   Link #92
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Bloodless version of School Days sounds relevant to my interest. I did actually enjoy the first episode, good start for the drama to come. I'm also concerned about shipping wars coming in here from MF... already see how the Sheryl shippers might gravitate towards Rina. :V

*But* the pace of the show and style should keep them away. This is definitely based on an eroge with the sheer amount of girls around the lead. And his friend is in his own version of a triangle.
SageGaiGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 14:39   Link #93
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageGaiGar View Post
I'm also concerned about shipping wars coming in here from MF... already see how the Sheryl shippers might gravitate towards Rina. :V
Sighhhhhhhhhhh.
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 15:37   Link #94
Mentar
Banned

Could we please stop with these silly unmarked spoilers? They absolutely have NO place here. I don't know the game, I don't know the story, and I want to keep it that way. LAST thing we need here is a discussion about paths and endings
Old 2009-01-05, 15:52   Link #95
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

I'm a Sheryl shipper, but i'm edging towards Yuki as of now... i'm one to enjoy this type of show, so i'll keep following it.

and Relentless, i noticed the theme of time too, and Makoto Shinkai popped into my head.. haha. if they play it right, this can be a very good show.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 16:13   Link #96
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

slow paced first ep, but so far l'm liking the characters...hopefully the main guy isn't such a bastard as it has been said so here. l want a happy ending for Yuki!
Manji Midou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 16:36   Link #97
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Could we please stop with these silly unmarked spoilers? They absolutely have NO place here. I don't know the game, I don't know the story, and I want to keep it that way. LAST thing we need here is a discussion about paths and endings
Whoops!

My bad. I meant to ask a general question, not realizing that it was getting out of bounds.

Sorry for bringing that up.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 17:00   Link #98
tigerwoods

Send a message via MSN to tigerwoods
To those who say it's boring: just this first episode is more entertaining than any other AkaneIro-like or Da Capo-like show...
I suppose that those who where expecting something similar to the aforementioned series were let down, this first episode tells me that it's going to be more complicated and intriguing than that.
Anyway, it wasn't boring at all, they took their time presenting the story and the settings, and I like when it isn't hurried; I suspect they want us to reflect and make us use our brains, that's a pro for me. Plus, everything was nicely animated.
The only thing I didn't find quite right was how Yuki was bullied... man, make up something new, please.
Old 2009-01-05, 17:15   Link #99
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerwoods View Post
The only thing I didn't find quite right was how Yuki was bullied... man, make up something new, please.
Well, actually, I thought it was at least a bit interesting in the sense that the group of girls were being very indirect in their revenge. Rather than ruin Rina's dress, they ruined Yuki's dress as a way of getting back at Rina without raising overt suspicions. In other words, Yuki wasn't being bullied, she was being used. The whole "premonition of something bad due to over-politeness" was well-done too. Sneaky little buggers... So yeah, not original, but I thought it wasn't bad either, especially combined with the timeline tricks.

Quote:
To those who say it's boring: just this first episode is more entertaining than any other AkaneIro-like or Da Capo-like show...
I'd just say it's different. "Entertainment" is obviously in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I don't know if I would call the episode "entertaining", but I will say that I found it interesting. Just because they're all based on visual novels doesn't really mean they have to have anything else in common -- it's a medium, not a genre.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-05, 17:58   Link #100
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Well, except for the fac that... this isn't new.
The original game was released when you were 8 years old, man.

Jesus, I played this game like 10 years ago... I don't even remember anything from it, aside from the infamous "bitch slaps".
I do remember Rina's song though, since it sometimes resurfaces on my playlist shuffles.

One's memory is so selective. I can recall hell of a lot more from To Heart than WA, even though I played TH before this one.
Back then, love triangles, cheating, and soap-opera drama wasn't too common in eroge field, and made WA stand out a bit.
But as the above poster notes, those aren't uncommon in today's market. I have the feeling WA won't stand out as unique anymore. (I haven't watched the anime yet, btw)

Edit: Looking at screenshots at blogs though, it looks like the era setting of the story changed....
In the original game, it was in the near-future (with maid-robot references from To Heart), but they pushed back several decades to be late 80s.
I was gonna pass this up as "I'll watch it someday" pile, but I should go check out the first episode now. 80s is a lot more relatable era for me.

Tags
drama, eroge, romance, seinen