AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Which one will you wanted to be?
A nice person 23 57.50%
A truthful person 17 42.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-11-30, 19:52   Link #1
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
A Nice or Truthful Person

Just wondering if you are to choose between the two: to be a nice person who's always nice to everyone or a truthful person who always tells the truth.

Which will you be?

PS: Give your reason and possibly a scenario to support it.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-30, 20:02   Link #2
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

A truthful person doesn't exist and shouldn't, because it is impossible to not lie and impossible to live without lying.

If people can be nice to one another then we'll have world peace without even being truthful.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-30, 20:11   Link #3
Lightning_Wing

First, I'm going to assume mutual exclusiveness between nice and truthful people, in that a "nice person" will discard the truth in favor of being nice; the truthful person will be assumed the same but in reverse, the truth held over being nice. I'm then also going to define a truthful person as someone who will strive for truthfulness, their M. O. if you will, and likewise the nice person is someone who will strive for being nice. Neither the truthful person nor the nice person is always truthful or always nice, respectively.

Also, I'm going to assume that both truthful and nice person are acting positively toward our subject as well, so that both the nice person and truthful person are aiming to preserve our subject's overall well-being.

With this in mind, I will then state that a truthful person, under most circumstances, is better. Someone truthful can be relied on much more for their honest opinion, and ultimately will have more influence over one's life. You know that if you ask them about something, they will likely give an honest and ultimately "right" response to a great many topics, such as relationships, finance, and ultimately just about any dilemma. Therefore, because of their ability to impact one's life honestly, a truthful person is better than a nice person, since someone nice is just someone to feel good talking too. You can't honestly trust their opinion, and their influence is therefore fleeting. Now, sometimes we don't want to hear the truth quite yet under some circumstances. For example, when going through the end of a relationship, death, etc. In this case, we seek out the nice person and should honestly favor their intent to that of the truthful person, as we should. With this in mind, let's redefine my original statement as such:

An truthful person is better under circumstances of more rational thought, in regards to topics that affect the long term and have less emotion involved. However, a nice person is better for situations where there is much emotion present affecting the immediate and short terms of one's life.
Old 2013-11-30, 20:20   Link #4
Dr. Casey

If this is an either/or situation, where you can either be a nice person who isn't truthful or a truthful person whose only good point is being truthful, then I'd pick 'a nice person.' Kindness is a good quality and also encompasses important traits like loyalty. Being 'truthful' isn't that wonderful a thing if you're a piece of shit otherwise.

If I take the question a bit less stringently, I do place more personal importance on being kind than being straightforward. A lack of the former bothers me more than a lack of the latter, and I'm sensitive enough to interpersonal strife and drama that being unfailingly blunt would probably keep me in a constant state of wanting to slit my throat open due to the fallout that would result (ie hurting other people's feelings, making them pissed off or otherwise bent out of shape, and so on). With that said, though, I do try to be coldly honest whenever I feel that it's absolutely necessary and have grown more blunt as I've gotten older, though I'll probably always be more of a people pleaser than a straight shooter.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-30, 22:03   Link #5
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Now, that is quite the rashness of you for setting up this poll. A truthful person IS a nice person, for he is the one who only wants the best for you by saying out the truth. It's like a Phoenix, beautiful in both the Inside and Outside.

If you could change this thread name into "Who would you prefer to be: A Person who always speaking out of the truth no matter what; or A Person who disguises the truth in words that don't hurt people?", it would much be appropriate.

And beside, excluding some cases, the one who don't want to listen to the truth is nothing more than trashes. After all, isn't it human's hungerness for the truth is what push we forward?
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-01, 02:46   Link #6
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I'll take truth. I want to be able to believe what I hear. I often feel anxious that people are lying to me when I do something wrong in order to be "nice". I want to know when I do something wrong (politely of course).

I think an organization where people are "nice" to each other but not truthful, is one that will run itself into a ground, because it will be run on fantasies.

All that said, it's better to be "both" whenever possible, and if you tell the truth, you should be nice about it.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-01, 03:21   Link #7
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Kinda thought a third answer of "other, see post below for explanation" might have been a good addition to the poll.
Old 2013-12-01, 06:02   Link #8
Kafriel
Senior Guest

You can be both...but if there is a situation in which you must either be blunt and tell the truth or settle things with a subtle lie, I'd definitely go for the latter. You shouldn't stir people up if you can avoid it, and the best truth is always the one people want to hear
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-01, 06:15   Link #9
monster

Between nice and truthful, I picked the latter. But truthfully, it's nice to be both.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-01, 06:26   Link #10
Darkman.exe213
Yurippe is mai waifu

It's nice to be both, but I'd very much rather be truthful if I had to choose. As someone else said, it's cool to be nice, but it's ultimately the truthful, honest people who have more of an impact on the people around them. Nice people (or, at least people who act nice) are a dime a dozen, but truthful people are hard to come by.
Old 2013-12-01, 06:33   Link #11
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

If you are going to spend your life being rated by others on how nice or truthful you are, then what are you living for?

We are all different, and have different motivations that encourage behaviour that sets us apart from the rest. You can't please everyone; haters gonna hate.

Best is still to be yourself. You may not be able to make a person like you, but you CAN make him/her respect you through acting on your beliefs and forging deep ties common interests. That is what is important.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-01, 06:43   Link #12
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
If you are going to spend your life being rated by others on how nice or truthful you are, then what are you living for?
Eh, it doesn't even have to be about that. You can want to be nice and/or truthful without it being about how others see you.
Old 2013-12-01, 07:07   Link #13
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Eh, it doesn't even have to be about that. You can want to be nice and/or truthful without it being about how others see you.
So whose rating of truthfulness and niceness is correct? Them, or yours?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-12-01, 08:03   Link #14
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
In this case? Yours of course
Old 2013-12-01, 08:18   Link #15
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
Now, that is quite the rashness of you for setting up this poll. A truthful person IS a nice person, for he is the one who only wants the best for you by saying out the truth. It's like a Phoenix, beautiful in both the Inside and Outside.
Actually I know many will say "both". But that would be toooooo easy so, I prefer for you to choose among the two.
Anyway, my choice is being "truthful", that is being honest and true to what you say or do. I wanted the person infront of me to know me as a person who THEY CAN TRUST.

Being "nice" is also good but why "act nice" if you see and hear isn't nice at all. Want to wear a mask and tell a awfully fat person that "hey, you look nice".. just to flatter they and not hurt their ego?

It's easy to be nice than be truthful.. so I choose the one which is rare to have.

Quote:
Whose opinion do you value? Yours or theirs? ^^
Old 2013-12-01, 11:16   Link #16
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

I would like a definition of what constitutes "the truth"
Old 2013-12-01, 21:37   Link #17
jdennis007

I work for a living so I am picking nice.
Old 2013-12-02, 00:33   Link #18
monster

Quote:
You're the only one who truly knows if you're being truthful, so that one is obviously yours.

Nice is a little bit more subjective, but in the end, your understanding of what nice is will determine how you go about striving to be nice.
Old 2013-12-02, 00:39   Link #19
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightbatŪ View Post
I would like a definition of what constitutes "the truth"
Facts, true, reality as opposed to Lying....
Old 2013-12-02, 07:34   Link #20
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
You're the only one who truly knows if you're being truthful, so that one is obviously yours.

Nice is a little bit more subjective, but in the end, your understanding of what nice is will determine how you go about striving to be nice.
Then how do you know you are telling the truth? Perspective matters; even a fact can become opinion depending on views and endorsement.

That is why I highlighted cognitive dissonance - some people can convince themselves they are telling the truth. Especially people who have images to uphold, like religious leaders, stars, lawyers, politicians, etc.

They use the term "economical with truth". In their eyes, it contains truth, therefore it is true. I call it "bull minus shit" because with some "live-and-let-go", it can be taken as low-quality beef instead of bovine faeces. Though personal limit still stands; the speaker of such is one step closer to a 1x-good-one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoemiChan View Post
Whose opinion do you value? Yours or theirs? ^^
So you don't use a merit-rating system when it comes to hearing opinions?