Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-10-21, 16:26   Link #1181
Xagzan

Corpse Bride in full.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-23, 10:48   Link #1182
BaronNoir

Anime fans might give a try to a Korean movie (with English actors), ''Snowpiercer''. It's based on a French comic, so it's an especially depressing kind of post-apo.
BaronNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-23, 11:03   Link #1183
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronNoir View Post
Anime fans might give a try to a Korean movie (with English actors), ''Snowpiercer''. It's based on a French comic, so it's an especially depressing kind of post-apo.
I actually created a thread for the film a little under a year ago. Just waiting for the N. American release date.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-23, 12:33   Link #1184
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Watched Monsters University it was really awesome. After that I watched Oceans Eleven which still has its charm.
Old 2013-10-24, 07:44   Link #1185
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Watched Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949) 3 days ago. The main factor that draws me to this film is definitely Sir Alec Guinness. His performance as 8 different characters, each with unique and distinct personality is simply delightful to watch.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-24, 07:53   Link #1186
Ridwan

I re-watched Before Sunrise and Before Sunset a few days ago, and perhaps that was a mistake ;_;
Old 2013-11-12, 08:51   Link #1187
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

I recently watched R.I.P.D., The Heat, The Internship, and This is the End.
Kid Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 11:23   Link #1188
abc0716

Just watched Downfall (Der Untergang in German), might because of a certain famous sequence which use for parody. Not really, frankly.

Will find other WW2-based movies (which I haven't seen yet) to watch, anyway.
abc0716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 12:49   Link #1189
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc0716 View Post
Will find other WW2-based movies (which I haven't seen yet) to watch, anyway.
Here's one that might fly below your radar, The Enemy Below with Robert Mitchum and Curd Jürgens. It portrays the pursuit of a German U-boat by an American destroyer. The stars play the opposing captains who develop a personal relationship in their imaginations based on observing their opponent's manuevers.

TL;DR…
Link to Star Trek
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Other films about the War in Europe:
The Longest Day features an enormous cast of celebrities to tell the story of the D-Day invasion. I liked it more for its historical presentation than its script and direction.

For a similar type of film about an earlier campaign gone awry, there's A Bridge Too Far describing the Allies' failed attempt to seize key bridges in Holland and accelerate their advance into Germany.

George C. Scott's portrayal of controversial American general George S. Patton richly deserved its seven Oscars including Best Director, Actor, and Original Screenplay.

The War in Asia
You must watch The Bridge over the River Kwai by David Lean and starring Alec Guinness as a British officer imprisoned along with his unit by the Japanese. He agrees to cooperate with the camp commander and orders the British soldiers in the camp to build a railroad bridge designed to speed the advance of the Japanese into Southeast Asia.

Some of the best movies about the War in the Pacific like From Here to Eternity and The Caine Mutiny focus more on the personalities of the soliders and sailors and less on the campaigns themselves. Among the latter, Tora! Tora! Tora! is a reasonably balanced retelling of the attack on Pearl Harbor. Midway tends to stress heroics while not really portraying the sheer luck by which the American forces won that battle; for that I recommend reading Herman Wouk's spectacular novel War and Remembrance. (The TV mini-series is sadly awful by comparison.)

Oh, and of course, we'll always have Casablanca!

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-12-07 at 13:04.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 13:38   Link #1190
james0246

I'd also suggest the great Sam Fuller film The Big Red One
Old 2013-12-07, 18:05   Link #1191
abc0716

Thanks for the suggestions above, will try to find those mentioned movies whenever I'm free .
abc0716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 00:58   Link #1192
SummeryDreams

Ender's game with my girlfriend last night, was such a nice movie. Will recommend it to everyone.
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-11, 21:27   Link #1193
P99

I recently watched Fast & Furious 6. Overall, it was an entertaining movie with one of my favorite characters returning. Definitely watch it if you liked the previous movies, especially since I believe this will be the final movie due to the unfortunate death of Paul Walker.
Old 2013-12-13, 13:03   Link #1194
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

I recently watched both Percy Jackson movies, as well as the Underworld Quadrilogy.
Kid Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-14, 00:36   Link #1195
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Po99okie View Post
I recently watched Fast & Furious 6. Overall, it was an entertaining movie with one of my favorite characters returning. Definitely watch it if you liked the previous movies, especially since I believe this will be the final movie due to the unfortunate death of Paul Walker.
Dark Knight went through despite Heath Ledger, idk why Fast 7 is held to a different expectation? Assuming ofc production is wrapped up. I mean they've probably spent a couple 10's of million already on the film I doubt they'll just see that washed down the drain
solidguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-14, 10:12   Link #1196
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidguy View Post
Dark Knight went through despite Heath Ledger, idk why Fast 7 is held to a different expectation? Assuming ofc production is wrapped up. I mean they've probably spent a couple 10's of million already on the film I doubt they'll just see that washed down the drain
Presumably, production was not complete (though it was close). The bigger problem is how Walker's death affects the film thematically. Family is the cornerstone to the revamped series (4-6), with every mission about avenging and protecting family (4), finding ways to take care of family (5), and reclaiming family (6). So Walker's death greatly impacts one of the very foundational elements of what makes the series so well liked. Consequently, the death of Walker's character either has to occur in such a way that furthers this basic thematic storyline (which can be very hard), or they have to just completely replace the actor (which seems unlikely). Whatever the case may be, it will have to occur on-screen.

---

Frozen - what a wonderful film. Near perfect voice-work with wonderful dialogue. Great music and songs (some of which will become Disney staples very quickly). Exhilarating action sequences with some of the best animation and 3D work I've seen. And easily one of the best stories Disney has ever created due, in part, to its simplicity and excellent focus on family dynamics and, dare I say, the power of burgeoning female sexuality. 93/100.
Old 2013-12-14, 10:41   Link #1197
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Frozen - what a wonderful film. Near perfect voice-work with wonderful dialogue. Great music and songs (some of which will become Disney staples very quickly). Exhilarating action sequences with some of the best animation and 3D work I've seen. And easily one of the best stories Disney has ever created due, in part, to its simplicity and excellent focus on family dynamics and, dare I say, the power of burgeoning female sexuality. 93/100.
So agree. Though I'm not sure if it's a good thing or not that I've had "Let it Go" stuck in my head ever since I saw it
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-14, 20:10   Link #1198
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
Watched Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949) 3 days ago. The main factor that draws me to this film is definitely Sir Alec Guinness. His performance as 8 different characters, each with unique and distinct personality is simply delightful to watch.
That's a brilliant movie. Basically, Ealing Studios were one of the companies who represent a golden age of British film making. Their comedies are gold, and their other films are good too.
If you want more Alec Guinness, try "The Lavender Hill Mob", "The Man in the White Suit" and, of course, "The Ladykillers"
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-14, 20:26   Link #1199
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post

Other films about the War in Europe:
The Longest Day features an enormous cast of celebrities to tell the story of the D-Day invasion. I liked it more for its historical presentation than its script and direction.

For a similar type of film about an earlier campaign gone awry, there's A Bridge Too Far describing the Allies' failed attempt to seize key bridges in Holland and accelerate their advance into Germany.

George C. Scott's portrayal of controversial American general George S. Patton richly deserved its seven Oscars including Best Director, Actor, and Original Screenplay.
I'd add The Battle of Britain - "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few" - how the Royal Air Force fought off the Luftwaffe and prevented the Nazi invasion of Britain.
All star cast and wonderful aerial battle sequences.
(Although the Bf.109's are all Buchons - a post war version of the 109 using a Merlin engine.)
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-16, 23:11   Link #1200
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
I recently rented Man of Steel and Pacific Rim.

Man of Steel could do without the product placement and the story's themes were told instead of shown. The writers tried to make Zod a sympathetic antagonist to no avail and the relationship between Supes and Louis moved too fast in-universe to be believable. The movie's highlight was the well-done fight scenes between Supes and his equals considering how fast they were moving and how incomprehensible the fights could have been. Otherwise, Man of Steel tries to be more cerebral than high-octane but is better at being high-octane anyway.

Pacific Rim's visuals are its best strength but some of the scenery during fight scenes looked like set pieces instead of scenery. The kaiju were also indistinguishable from each other despite being simply designed, something that shouldn't happen in a monster action movie. The fights were nice, though the story left much to be desired except for Stacker (who had a particular scene with Mako that was over the top considering the subject). Pacific Rim was too serious to be hammy and too hammy to be serious and the overall result is "meh."
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live-action, movie, movies