AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-06-22, 02:23   Link #41
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Same_Shark View Post
I'm think you're reading too much into that. There was nothing there saying that lesbians are mainstream, although they are cool. I love gays and lesbians!!
The quote of myself was over concerns of yuri being tossed into the series. Orion seems to think it's likely to happen and seems to imply that yuri in these kinds of shows is mainstream, which is what i'm afraid of.

Since it's Gonzo though, maybe there's a chance it won't be. In my experience, they generally aren't explicit in the gayness of characters, or even like to imply stuff really.
Wesley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-22, 09:18   Link #42
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Actually I was thinking the opposite. Sorry for the misunderstanding. The only thing in the OVA was an implication of peaking at underpants.

No. Yuri and yaoi are not mainstream in R1. That's why I think that this series won't have it in there or at such an extremely low level that you would have to interpret it at that. Though being named after famous aces would prob get some of the surviving families upset if they heard that their names got tarnished. The OVA even documents that males exist in that world.

I'm hoping that it's all about the dogfights. We haven't had a good anime with dogfights since Last Exile.

Last edited by orion; 2008-06-22 at 09:41.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-22, 10:31   Link #43
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
im with you. i love the design of mecha musume and hsving wwII style dogfights just makes it better.

hell i hope the TANK Mecha girls get some lime light too.

*root for UK tank girl*

yay.

:P

Old 2008-06-22, 13:00   Link #44
Kuroi Cosmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Though being named after famous aces would prob get some of the surviving families upset if they heard that their names got tarnished.
Lol

Quote:
The OVA even documents that males exist in that world
Rotfl

Seriously, I didn't know that AS was so full of homophobes
Kuroi Cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-22, 13:18   Link #45
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
im with you. i love the design of mecha musume and hsving wwII style dogfights just makes it better.

*root for UK tank girl*

yay.

Why hold back? Battleship Musume all the way!
Old 2008-06-22, 13:34   Link #46
narmi
The Asian who's Malaysian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
The problem I had with Sky Girls is that it got the Girls part down, but not so much the sky.
True they didn't put enough emphasize on flying. For someone like me who loves flying; it was a "small" let down but I still enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacchin View Post
This caught my interest. I love Sky Girls btw, and so I'll be adding this to my waiting list of must watch animes.
And I'm a sucker when it comes to lolis
That's good and you will have fun with the "loli" fanservice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegel Clyne View Post
I suspected that the Strike Witches TV anime would follow in the footsteps of other GONZO anime productions, ...
According to GONZO parent company GDH, the 1-cour, 12-episode Strike Witches television anime series will be offered to viewers overseas on YouTube and crunchyroll.
Heh Gonzo has an reputation of messing up adaptations for mangas into animes however I have hopes for Gonzo. Besides that I'm happy that they are going to allow the series to be shown online .

http://www.nanofate.us/ NanoFate main website Weiss Schwarz Facebook Group - Deck theme: MSLN Nanoha
narmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-22, 13:42   Link #47
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Cosmo View Post
Lol
Rotfl
Not homophobic here. The only series that had lesbian context that FUNi licensed was Burnt Angel. Bandai Ent's version is My-Hime/Otome. In R1, yuri and yaoi goes to Media Blasters, receives a sub only release for the most part and never sees the light of day on TV.

So if you're Gonzo and you know what happens in R1, would you do something that's going to decrease your income?

Also, if any of those heroes weren't homosexual in reality, then their families may have a problem if it gets back to them.
Old 2008-06-22, 14:24   Link #48
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post

*root for UK tank girl*

yay.

I love those things. I have a few and they're soooooooo cute.
Quote:
Not really homophobic as much as I would rather them be straight. Is that too much to ask?

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-22, 14:43   Link #49
Kuroi Cosmo

Quote:
Also, if any of those heroes weren't homosexual in reality, then their families may have a problem if it gets back to them.
So transforming the real people into kemonomini moe lolis is ok, but made them gay is insulting them... yeah very open minded of you
Old 2008-06-22, 20:00   Link #50
orion

Quote:
So transforming the real people into kemonomini moe lolis is ok, but made them gay is insulting them... yeah very open minded of you
Why thank you. I do try to be open-minded.

Making something gay which is not would be an insult. That type of an insult is done a lot in reality. These girls are moe personifications of weapons so far until we see how the male members of the camp are interacting with them. (Not too many people would want to have a relationship with an aircraft carrier or a tank.)
Old 2008-06-22, 20:29   Link #51
Wesley84

Quote:
Why thank you. I do try to be open-minded.

Making something gay which is not would be an insult. That type of an insult is done a lot in reality. These girls are moe personifications of weapons so far until we see how the male members of the camp are interacting with them. (Not too many people would want to have a relationship with an aircraft carrier or a tank.)
The question is if there are even going to be male characters.
Old 2008-06-22, 20:41   Link #52
orion

Well the support team in the OVA was male. So there has to be some guys there anyways in a small number because this is moe otaku fodder (primary) and military (secondary).
Old 2008-06-22, 21:25   Link #53
Wesley84

Quote:
Well the support team in the OVA was male. So there has to be some guys there anyways in a small number because this is moe otaku fodder (primary) and military (secondary).
They were practically faceless, which would be fine if it was an H-game, but I doubt we'll see any of the girls showing any interest in the opposite sex.
Old 2008-06-22, 22:31   Link #54
orion

This is a moe and military title so I'm not expecting any full blown romances (it would go against "moe") and in a 9 minute OVA you're not going to see unique supporting male characters. However, they could and should show up in a series. They have to drawn in female viewers also.
Old 2008-06-23, 02:24   Link #55
Kuroi Cosmo

Listen guys, nobody is saying that this will be a yuri show, there's not a chance, so don't worry.

However, since the main characters are 11 girls and 0 guys, it's probable that at least ONE of them will have some yuri tendencies, or at the very least some subtext.
This happens almost always in shows with an all-female cast, didn't you know it? First time watching anime?

Anyway, all I'm reading from this topic is many users who cannot accept homosexuality crying out loud "Oh my God, if there's even one gay girl in this show I'm gonna die. All the fags must burn in hell!!!", which is quite ridicolous.

Quote:
Making something gay which is not would be an insult. That type of an insult is done a lot in reality.
That's because you start from the idea that being gay is something bad... that's why I'm calling you homophobe
I'd suggest you a time machine to return to the Medieval Age
Old 2008-06-23, 06:36   Link #56
Jiyuu

Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
Quote:
That's because you start from the idea that being gay is something bad... that's why I'm calling you homophobe
I'd suggest you a time machine to return to the Medieval Age
not him,
the people who's names are used might think that way..
Jiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-23, 14:35   Link #57
orion

And since these are historic figures, GONZO will have a problem if the families get upset. It also can be seen as a loss of income for the estate of that historic figure if the rep of the historic figure is tarnished to an extent that no other company would touch the historic figure.

Besides people in unisex squadrons in real life tend to have heterosexual tendencies. It shouldn't be a stretch for anime to mirror real life.
Old 2008-06-23, 16:57   Link #58
phishn37
Time to fly ~ !

I personally don't want it to not be a yuri or shojo-ai show because I'm a homophobe, which I try my best not to be, but because it's so common that it's used to make money off of a certain fanbase. Many shows that push those things focus on that aspect, so the romance takes center stage over other interesting ideas that may be exitsing in the background. I think the idea of this show looks really cool, and that's why I want to watch it, and if there's a little yuri in there I won't complain ~ ! I only want to make sure that it doesn't cover all of the other potentially good ideas that this show can offer.
phishn37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-23, 18:16   Link #59
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishn37 View Post
I personally don't want it to not be a yuri or shojo-ai show because I'm a homophobe, which I try my best not to be, but because it's so common that it's used to make money off of a certain fanbase. Many shows that push those things focus on that aspect, so the romance takes center stage over other interesting ideas that may be exitsing in the background. I think the idea of this show looks really cool, and that's why I want to watch it, and if there's a little yuri in there I won't complain ~ ! I only want to make sure that it doesn't cover all of the other potentially good ideas that this show can offer.
So you want it to have yuri because you're a "homophobe"?
Old 2008-06-23, 22:28   Link #60
phishn37
Time to fly ~ !

^ Um, maybe I didn't explain this enough...

What I mean is, if there's a bit of yuri, it's okay, but I hope they don't overdo it just to sell better. I'm not saying that because I'm a homophobe (which I am not-- I don't think I made that clear ~ !), but just because I don't like excess fanservice in an otherwise good show.

I hope that cleared it up slightly!
phishn37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, bost tv, gonzo, kemonomimi, mecha, mecha musume