AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2011-11-19, 00:56   Link #35001
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

The use of the tentacles here would be along the lines of the Scarlet Dragon from A's--you know, the giant sand worm Signum fought in both the manga and the anime? I'm mostly unsure as to go about writing such creatures and attack methods in a story.
Old 2011-11-19, 01:08   Link #35002
Mr Coin
Heads or Tails?

That scene... The creators almost forget that they are not making hentai anymore...
Mr Coin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 01:24   Link #35003
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Coin View Post
That scene... The creators almost forget that they are not making hentai anymore...
Fate Testarossa: Defender of Censorship xD

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 01:46   Link #35004
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Iron View Post
Actually, wrapping attacks could actually be more effective against a retreating target than one standing their ground. Standing one's ground would mean they are likely paying more attention to the movements of the tentacles since they are not trying to map out a best route of escape or taking note of more mobility obstacles. Think of a fleeing/retreating target as one with a long, narrow cone of detection that would probably be facing away from the tentacles more often than not while the one standing their ground as having a shorter, but much wider cone of detection that does not need to move much to keep track of the tentacles. That's just my take on it.

Also, perhaps the use of different types of tentacles attacks together would be beneficial. Use the high damage ones to keep the target(s) busy until an opening to use the grappling tentacles is created and then bind them up or go for the kill.
That is only assuming the tentacles are ridiculously long that you can afford to do so (And in that case you might as well just surround the enemy like a snake and squash him, why waste time on choking his neck -_-"). It's generally not a good idea trying to catch a moving target, especially a retreating one since you'll more likely to miss and just waste energy. Submission techniques would be a good example; you would always, ALWAYS like to catch your opponent when he's stuck in a certain position (Like bad footing), take that chance and lunge for him. If he's moving backwards you're more likely to get a foot or punch in the face.
Old 2011-11-19, 03:21   Link #35005
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

The first time I read combat tentacles, the only thing that came into my mind was Spider-Man's enemy Doctor Octopus and his robotic arms.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 04:55   Link #35006
mega1987
GregOS Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
The first time I read combat tentacles, the only thing that came into my mind was Spider-Man's enemy Doctor Octopus and his robotic arms.
that's one fine example of a combat tentacle user...
SRW beats all foes.
JAM Project pwns all!!!

And I can't still make fanfic without restarting from the start when new ideas comes in...
mega1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 04:56   Link #35007
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Indeed, but what I'm writing will be using a lot more than four tentacles...
Old 2011-11-19, 05:51   Link #35008
Mr Coin
Heads or Tails?

Watch some tentacle hentai about ninjas and magical girls, it might help you with some tips and inspiration...

Combat tentacles' fighting style differs in monster species and well the amount of tentacles the monster have. The only thing that comes up in my mind is the whipping and lashing motion of the said tentacles, and crushing hugs.
Mr Coin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 06:31   Link #35009
mega1987
GregOS Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Use him as a guide on how your monster's tentacles should act or move for a specific action.
SRW beats all foes.
JAM Project pwns all!!!

And I can't still make fanfic without restarting from the start when new ideas comes in...
Old 2011-11-19, 06:47   Link #35010
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
It depends on the number of the tentacles. The more they are, the less precise control you'll have on each tentacle since operating all of them would be a time-consuming.

If their number is absurdly many, then the best way is simply to swarm the prey with fast attacks from several angles.

If they're few, let say eight, then the basic is the same - box the target with four tentacles from multiple sides - but what the remaining four will do will depend on the target's reaction. I can think of having one tentacle act as bait, and as the target intercepted it the rest would grab his/her arms and legs before slowly squishing them.

It also depends on the nature of the tentacles. Are they strong? Can their edges be sharpened and used for stabbing attacks? Are they poisonous? Because IIRC Hydras (not the mythological creature) possess poisoned ones, making prey-capturing easier.
Old 2011-11-19, 07:41   Link #35011
WarpObscura
Bibliophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craxuan View Post
That is only assuming the tentacles are ridiculously long that you can afford to do so (And in that case you might as well just surround the enemy like a snake and squash him, why waste time on choking his neck -_-"). It's generally not a good idea trying to catch a moving target, especially a retreating one since you'll more likely to miss and just waste energy. Submission techniques would be a good example; you would always, ALWAYS like to catch your opponent when he's stuck in a certain position (Like bad footing), take that chance and lunge for him. If he's moving backwards you're more likely to get a foot or punch in the face.
You're discounting chokeholds?

Yo dawg, I heard you like QB...

Thanks MAEt for the av!
WarpObscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 10:45   Link #35012
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

Yes, unless you're aiming to capture and not kill. Otherwise just break the enemy's neck, much much faster.
Old 2011-11-19, 11:11   Link #35013
Sunder the Gold

There's also the question of the width of the base to which the tentacles are attached, or if they are even attached to the same exact base.

Consider the octopus, which has tentacles sprouting from only one side, and each of them rooted directly next to each other.

Having tentacles spread further apart allows them to attack from a wider different angle than if they were all clumped together. It also allows two grasping tentacles to pull the same target taut (or apart) with greater leverage.

Of course, the further apart the tentacles are, the fewer of them can contribute to a single target.
Sunder the Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 13:22   Link #35014
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
All this talk about tentacles makes me wonder about you people sometimes...

Then I realize my mind is in the gutter, so ignore that.

Peek's Mini-Arcs:

Yagami Mid Four Dwell Takamachi Scrya Fatherhood Harlaown Dreams Dance Healing Twins Advice History Onwards Cycle Playdate Forging Meetings Search

BTF Omakes:

Old Iron Omakes 1, 2, 3 Mr Snuggles Omake Oh Bandit Tree Old Iron Omakes 4, 5

Valkyrie Start

Valkyrie 2

Valkyrie 3

Spoiler for Blood That Flows - Valkyrie 4:

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 13:39   Link #35015
shiroi mahotsukai
Under Death by College
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post

Peek's Mini-Arcs:

Yagami Mid Four Dwell Takamachi Scrya Fatherhood Harlaown Dreams Dance Healing Twins Advice History Onwards Cycle Playdate Forging Meetings Search

BTF Omakes:

Valkyrie Start

Valkyrie 2

Valkyrie 3

You'll get strong fingers if you keep on typing like that. I like this idea about relics, It's like those superheroes who have weird powers, we could get several sets of fantastic four or likewise out of the numbers.
"There are no winners or losers, there are only the living and the dead."
shiroi mahotsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 13:42   Link #35016
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiroi mahotsukai View Post
You'll get strong fingers if you keep on typing like that. I like this idea about relics, It's like those superheroes who have weird powers, we could get several sets of fantastic four or likewise out of the numbers.
Well, the idea came to me because of how they were used in canon...

To amplify a person's body...

So...

Yeah.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 20:42   Link #35017
mega1987
GregOS Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post

Peek's Mini-Arcs:

BTF Omakes:

Valkyrie Start

Valkyrie 2

Valkyrie 3

Me: Strong fingers... hm... Does Uno have that hand grip excerise thingy?

Val: Dunno...

Reia: At least this Jail is every humanitarian...

Iris: Yeah. After the Mazoku Problem, Nove gets to meet the Nakajimas.

Sarah: If that got resolved into a truce or a peace agreement that is.

Mariemeia: Someone just give Due a chance to mess up Levi/Quattro's plans!
SRW beats all foes.
JAM Project pwns all!!!

Old 2011-11-19, 23:17   Link #35018
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamlain View Post
So, some more 'That time'.

Nothing Spinny

Her stomach still heaved.

But she'd managed to keep down some juice.

And between them - and her own insistence that it was just a bit of bad memory - Suzuka and Arisa had managed to *not* let Fate-chan know it was her scars that had Akiko throwing up so badly. It just...shouldn't be done, to tell a girl that.

Even if Akiko thought Fate would understand.

And she was grateful - she was - to the two girls but the closeness, the *caring* was like salt in a wound and she barely managed to not scream at them, swallowing a demand of 'where where you -before-?!' by the time she got through with the bath that she had to retreat from them, pulling back to the quiet in the kitchen, which had nothing but conversation about the preparation of food.

Because...she knew where they were.

Hiding with each other - just like her.

In some ways it was almost as bad, but there wouldn't be anywhere in the house she could really *go* without tossing someone else out of a room - and after almost tripping over the girl with the razor-tail and the giant iron hands - massive, huge things of the same black iron Dead Master's claws were made of - Akiko didn't really want to *try*.

But that left her in the kitchen being comforted by Lindy and Momoko and Miss Amy and Shamal and..

It was like having at least four moms around. Except..she'd gotten used to not having /one/. And it hurt that it wasn't that one, too.

Akiko turned to look at yet another well meaning adult - it was nice that they all *cared* but -somehow it got wearing - and the woman held out a hand, palm up and shirt sleeve pulled back.

The pale skin showed off the scars - slashed across the arm with something sharp, several times, long ago - and it was a moment before Akiko realized what she was seeing, and her best brave words died on her lips, unsaid as she met the woman's eyes.

'You're safe now' or 'you were so brave' or 'I understand' - those were words this woman, for one, didn't say.

Those words helped, and From /her/ Akiko thought she might actually believe them, with that evidence written across her flesh - but they weren't the words Sailor Nothing actually said.

"It still hurts sometimes. But it's worth it, staying alive."

'how would you know?!' died on the way to her lips. This woman - knew. Akiko didn't know how, but...Shoutan Himei's eyes were for a moment the same ones, color aside, that Akiko saw in the mirror lately - staring at something far, far away, and horrible to see.

She reached a hand up and lay it on Himei's wrist hesitantly, eyes drawn back to the scars there and asked hesitantly, "How long...will I still feel this way? Like..everything's a dream? Like I'll wake up and be back -" Where, precisely she'd be back to she couldn't say, except - "Alone."

Another woman might have pulled her close and hugged her tightly and not had an answer.

Himei's hand on her shoulder was gentle and firm and -there-. "Time." She said softly. "Days. Weeks. Minutes. For me - the first time was when the enemy was gone."

"First time..?" Akiko swallowed with difficulty, squared her shoulders and asked - all but begged, really, for a 'no', but asked, "It comes -back-?"

"muum." Himei agreed - if it was to the need to say it wasn't so or the fact of it happening or both, maybe neither of them were sure, but she agreed.

"I have a little girl. She's senshi now, but until last year, nothing bad ever happened to her if It could be stopped." Himei told her gently. "She still woke up scared to be alone in her bed sometimes. Everyone feels alone. That's why we need people. That's why we have friends. You'll remember. And someone will be there."

"Will they?" Akiko asked faintly, barely able to talk - her throat was tight and she was very aware her eyes were full of *still more damn tears* -

"Nothing wouldn't keep them from your side. Everything else couldn't." The older woman told her, and Akiko hiccuped something between desperate relief and baffled irritation at the pun.

"Does it..get easier?" Akiko managed after sending the woman a brief glare that translated into mortification at being angry with these people who were all helping her so much.

"It gets -better-." Shoutan Himei told her. "We don't do the easy way again."

Himei swallowed herself, startled at her own quiet vehemence, and then hesitantly offered a hand to shake. "Okay?"

Akiko looked at it for a long moment, as what was being asked of her sank in - and faced it firmly. "Okay. Never again."

She took that hand, and made it a promise.

Soldier Star Reviree Spinny

Preview

"Jasper." Himei eyed the red-eyed micro demoness carefully. "What do you want here?"

"You." Jasper said firmly. "I - we need your help."

Then She winced, and Himei could literally *feel* the little sorceress's energy flicker as something twisted in it.

"../quickly/." Jasper whimpered.
A little something new from Battle Fantasia.

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Comartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-19, 23:22   Link #35019
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
COMBAT tentacles, not Naughty Tentacles.
Well, I was gonna mention my "Perils of Lost Logia" series, but I don't think that would help for what you have in mind....
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 01:57   Link #35020
WarpObscura
Bibliophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craxuan View Post
Yes, unless you're aiming to capture and not kill. Otherwise just break the enemy's neck, much much faster.
Well, do a neck crank on the way to a snap then. It's grappling. Submission holds, joint control/breaks...

Yo dawg, I heard you like QB...

Thanks MAEt for the av!
WarpObscura is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha