AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2009-09-18, 21:16   Link #1
LostBoyNZ

Question My Chii Chobits Sculpture Computer

I've been building a polystyrene life size model of Chii from Chobits. The inside of her is designed to hold all the parts of a computer, so there's room for the motherboard, hard drives, DVD drive, power supply etc.

After getting the shape right I'll coat the polystyrene in something, give her hair, clothes etc. But at the moment, aside from the lack of hands, I was wondering what people think of her general shape so far? Any feedback at all would be great

I think her face needs lots of work, at the moment it's just a generic face and doesn't resemble Chii at all (well, except for the ears). Sadly (lol) I can't make her boobs any smaller either, as this area holds the DVD drive.

For reference, here's a link to drawings of Chii: http://images.google.co.nz/images?hl...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/271/chiiviews.jpg

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/9089/chiitop.jpg

Thanks!!

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2013-07-29 at 01:37. Reason: Please use thumbnails or the images tag when posting big pics
LostBoyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-19, 12:50   Link #2
Teshiro
What the deuce?!
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Teshiro
Uhm, well I must admit that it's a great idea. Execucion is not as it ought to be though. But sadly, it's common knowledge that Polystyrene is used for heat isolation in building industry. So it's used to lock heat in the inside...And as you probably know the CPU and the GPU are able to reach high tepreatures even though they are actively cooled down with fans, passive cooling systems or water cooling systems. According to that knowledge and to the fact that the heat is not going away but will be accumulated all over components...

But you should know something about the material you are working with...
Polystyrene is a plastic material, that can stand tepreatures that wont go above 70°C, all tempreatures above 70°C make it melt, and probably set it on fire. When on fire it releases toxic substances that are cancerogenic. And I can see you have used glue to fix the parts together. Glue is very flamable...

According to this - your components will be overheated in few seconds and will be all melted and ends up with the whole sculpture very bad.
Old 2009-09-19, 16:10   Link #3
LostBoyNZ

True, the components reach temperatures like that, but the ambient temperature inside the case should never come anywhere near 70 degrees (I don't want it close to 65 degrees either, as from my testing the polystyrene starts to warp when it hits that temperature). I've ran many tests with my current computer and various temperature sensors I've placed around parts and in the case.

I'm pretty confident I can make it work, but there'll be considerable testing done and adjustments to cooling systems to make sure it's safe. I really don't want an expensive burning heap of cancer right next to me either
Old 2009-09-19, 16:38   Link #4
Teshiro
What the deuce?!
*Artist

Just wanted to make sure you know. But I am still little sceptic about this...still I can imagine, if the computer will run for longer time at full capacity (i.e. playing game), it could cause trouble. You know Hindenburg was considered "bulletproof" too. But I am glad you know what you're doing. I wish you good luck with your project then Send results after finishing move
Old 2009-09-19, 16:56   Link #5
LostBoyNZ

Thanks, I will do

What do you think of the shape of her (aside from the head)?

I think I need to round her shoulder down on the bottom left picture. Her breasts were tricky because of the fact the dvd drive will be in there. The top of them in particular is all wrong, but I'm hoping with her brown dress that won't be noticeable. I'll have to do some re-designing otherwise.

The parts of her skin that will be visible will also end up being coated in liquid latex. That will be her wrists, hands, below her knee to her ankle, and her neck / face.
Old 2009-09-19, 16:58   Link #6
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

I think this site might be helpful for you.

http://sae.cside.com/sae/kat/pc/epccase.htm
Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-19, 17:10   Link #7
Teshiro
What the deuce?!
*Artist

I think, that she will look very good, when she will be done...now it's just half finished product The shoulders should be a little more gentle since they are supposed to be girl's shoulders. Actually I like it, just have those "afraid of's" mentioned before
Old 2009-09-19, 17:16   Link #8
LostBoyNZ

There's some very impressive stuff through that link I see, it'll certainly help. In particular I'm looking at how they've done hands and fingers at the moment.

That's true, I'll shrink down her shoulders today and take some new photos of them.

Yeah, at worst if it proves impossible to use safely as a computer case, I'll still have a life sized Chii sculpture which I'd be happy with; especially since I've never sculpted anything before, it's all a new challenge to me.
Old 2009-09-19, 17:20   Link #9
Teshiro
What the deuce?!
*Artist

wow that's pretty impressive that it's your first sculpturing at all...I once made a wooden "some tribe" mask That's only thing I sculptured ever I am really more focused on drawing

Be carefull with shrinking them, not to go way too far, you can allways shrink it more afterwards
Old 2009-09-20, 05:30   Link #10
LostBoyNZ

Ah I'm terrible at drawing, it took me forever to draw the designs for Chii on Photoshop. Here's what she looks like after some work today (new stuff on the top image, old stuff on the bottom):

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/9339/chiiviews2.jpg
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/5579/chiiviews1.jpg

I think she's looking a bit better, but I'm still not very happy with the breasts. I'm considering using a slim DVD writer instead, to save space, and chop the current breasts off and start on them again. I can make them smaller, more like Chii's.

The problem with going too small however is it might draw attention to the fact her legs are quite large, but they have to be that size to fit the motherboard in. Also her breasts are more like one long breast but that's unavoidable given the length of a regular sized DVD drive. Since it'll be hidden under a fairly loose fitting brown dress though, I don't see that being a problem.

I also attempted to add shoulder blades.

Yeah I'm always worried about taking too much off. Although I can always put it back on when I cover it in clay, it'd be much easier to have a nearly perfect shape to begin with.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2013-07-29 at 01:38.
Old 2009-09-20, 08:39   Link #11
Teshiro
What the deuce?!
*Artist

Hello again The shoulders are just fine now So is the neck area. It's much more better now And her breast looks good enough, even though they look unreal. After all the sculpture is going to be dressed, right? Good work, keep up, and keep updating
Old 2009-09-21, 16:48   Link #12
LostBoyNZ

hehe, yes she'll be dressed In fact I ordered a dress and a wig yesterday which should arrive in a week or two. I think that'll be the key to seeing what else needs to change, to put her in that and see if it fits properly.

Meanwhile I aim to work on her head next. Thanks, I will do
Old 2009-09-23, 06:43   Link #13
Teshiro
What the deuce?!
*Artist

Anyway, how do you plan doing eyes?
Old 2013-01-24, 17:53   Link #14
BradleySmith
*IT Support

Was this ever finished?

Check me out!
BradleySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 01:59   Link #15
LostBoyNZ

2013 Update...

Sadly not yet. I just kept doing bits once in a while, and lucky nothing was damaged during the major earthquakes here (Christchurch, New Zealand) but it's pretty close to done now.

I've coated the polystyrene to make it harder, although it's a little rough now hmm. But basically the next step is to paint her And that's how I'm going to do the eyes, in the end I decided I'll just have to paint them else I'll never finish this haha.

I need to save up some money to buy the PC parts inside too. I think my original plan was something like a 1st gen i7 processor. Now I'm sure it'll be a Haswell i7 (4th gen) with 16gb RAM, a 256gb Samsung 840 SSD and such. Specs worthy of Chii

Here's the most recent photos...

The hands took a few tries to do, and her chest still doesn't look like anything real but it looks 'right' with her top on and that's what counts I just put the coating on the parts that I'll end up painting.

Old 2013-01-25, 18:58   Link #16
Kudryavka

This is a really sweet idea.

And good job fixing the titties but keeping them so you could put DVD drives in the titties still.

( . Y . )
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 19:00   Link #17
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Yeah, the tits and also the forehead... Man.. you really want to finish this? Good Luck! Hope you finish it!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-26, 03:46   Link #18
LostBoyNZ

Thanks I guess an optical drive isn't so important these days, but it'll be nice to have. At the moment I only tend to use mine for blu-ray movies.

Next I think I should get some sandpaper and try again to smooth out the rough patches from the coating (small lumps here and there). Also now there's a black board stuck where here eyes will be, so eyes can be painted on.

It was a shame to give up on the idea of light lines going across her eyes as the hard drive is accessed, but I'm sure someone better at this stuff than I could do an awesome job of it. Perhaps one day Chii can have an upgrade to her eyes

Thanks! I'll post more photos too when there's been some new progress
Old 2013-01-26, 14:34   Link #19
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBoyNZ View Post
Thanks I guess an optical drive isn't so important these days, but it'll be nice to have. At the moment I only tend to use mine for blu-ray movies.

Next I think I should get some sandpaper and try again to smooth out the rough patches from the coating (small lumps here and there). Also now there's a black board stuck where here eyes will be, so eyes can be painted on.

It was a shame to give up on the idea of light lines going across her eyes as the hard drive is accessed, but I'm sure someone better at this stuff than I could do an awesome job of it. Perhaps one day Chii can have an upgrade to her eyes

Thanks! I'll post more photos too when there's been some new progress
Thanks man, Im definitely rooting for you here
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-27, 15:07   Link #20
LostBoyNZ

Some more got done on Chii this last weekend The back was modified to fit a motherboard and have space for an intake fan at the front of her. I'm just worried about over heating, so I thought it can't hurt to have an extra fan. New holes were drilled for the motherboard too.

I've painted over the polystyrene that won't be covered by her clothes with black. Although I think now her knees will need some skin paint on them.

The next steps will be to attach her feet (I believe the right hand one will have to be partly cut to leave space for PCI card cables - but that's ok the feet will be mostly covered by the dress)

I also decided to put the power switch in her right ear, and a headphone jack in the left ear.

Then it's painting her skin I intend on trying that next weekend.

After alllllllllll these years she's nearly finished, haha.

http://img.acianetmedia.com/i/3Lps2.jpg
http://img.acianetmedia.com/i/T1rfL.jpg

That's mostly clay with some modelling paste covering the cracks.

http://img.acianetmedia.com/i/1mXhg.jpg

Chii looks she was decapitated while doing a mexican wave in a ballet costume!

http://img.acianetmedia.com/i/H9WfI.jpg
http://img.acianetmedia.com/i/CIeuT.jpg
http://img.acianetmedia.com/i/eQlRq.jpg

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2013-07-29 at 01:39.