AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-02-01, 11:47   Link #261
Xan
the Figure

this is a bit oof-topic, but just wondering abt the quality of the subs.

i have been following Triad's version throughout and though i would say that i'm not disappointed by the overall standard, i'm kinda disappointed by the quality of the graphics. i mean that the picture quality is kinda of pixelated, esp when there's fog. i seen the same thing happen in chrno crusade.

anyone knows of any group that manages to encode without the pixelation?? i'm quite perplexed by it as i would like to burn them onto discs... it's still sitting in my hard drive as of now... need the space....

thanx anyone who helps!!!
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-01, 15:47   Link #262
jehjr1337

Send a message via AIM to jehjr1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan
this is a bit oof-topic, but just wondering abt the quality of the subs.

i have been following Triad's version throughout and though i would say that i'm not disappointed by the overall standard, i'm kinda disappointed by the quality of the graphics. i mean that the picture quality is kinda of pixelated, esp when there's fog. i seen the same thing happen in chrno crusade.

anyone knows of any group that manages to encode without the pixelation?? i'm quite perplexed by it as i would like to burn them onto discs... it's still sitting in my hard drive as of now... need the space....

thanx anyone who helps!!!

Um when a file is downloaded the quality slowly deteriorates (not by much but there is deterioration) so if you're happy with Triad's version then stick with it....I'm happy with AnimeOne's verison I see pixalation but its because of my computer's graphics card and ram and processor..lol -----> 400mhz 96 mb sdram probably a 8mb vid card....don't ask my how I put up with it, I just do...one day I'll take a bat to the computer just like in Office Space and the Zerox Machine
jehjr1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-01, 16:44   Link #263
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehjr1337
Um when a file is downloaded the quality slowly deteriorates (not by much but there is deterioration)
Ummm...no. In no way does the quality of a downloaded file deteriorate. Ever. That's the beauty of digital fansubs.

I never see pixelation in The Thriad version.
The problem could be that your computer isn't fast enough, or it might be a codec problem. Check to see if you have the correct codec that group uses. Also you could try a different movie player.
a_nevels666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-01, 16:51   Link #264
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehjr1337
Um when a file is downloaded the quality slowly deteriorates (not by much but there is deterioration)
Oh, so that's why we have to buy new computers every few years! The old ones just turn to dust, eh?
Old 2004-02-02, 02:35   Link #265
Anthias

Episode 10 - OOOOHHHH.....

Well guys, Ep 10 is cool but sad and getting pretty gritty / intense. I think it show promise for a struggle of unusual form in the last few eps.

Spoiler:

getting anxious to see the rest of the episodes! I'm glad its not a new episode every day, so gutwrenchingly sad!
Anthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-02, 03:10   Link #266
The Faction's Lord

Referring to Anthias
Spoiler:
The Faction's Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-02, 04:16   Link #267
JBr
ToTan slave :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Faction's Lord
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
JBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-02, 05:52   Link #268
wao
OK.

Very nice ep, episode 10... things do start getting worrying, but another thing worrying me is there's only 3 more eps to go. ?!!!! How will they manage to fit everything in properly. bah.

By the way, what's so strange about a German selfloading pistol? (in Ep 10) Is it because it can't be gotten easily?
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-02, 13:26   Link #269
The Faction's Lord

Gah! I didn't realise that!
Hmmm, episode 10 has provided us with one plot point, but I don't really think that GG will develop a plot, which is a shame, then again, theirs always hope for a second season, right?
Old 2004-02-02, 14:30   Link #270
Kensuke

It all debends how they will finish this series, but I find it unlikely that there will be another series... althought I would certainly be happy to see another series.
Gunslinger Girl is slowly developing plot, at least to the point that following episodes are tied more closely together. What Jose and Henrietta are doing in Sicily? And just one thought... is Jose trying to escape from organization?
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-02, 14:43   Link #271
The Faction's Lord

True, they do have a sort of plot, however, the plot doesn't seem to go anywhere apart from character development and the missions, not that I mind, it's a great show. Well, with all the character development, it is quite possible that, indeed, Jose is trying to escape the organisation with Henrietta, this could also lead to Triela and maybe Hilscher, as shown by the fact that she
Spoiler:
this could mean she's trying to rebel against the second section and staying as an assassain. As it is, the end of the series could be just about anything, but let's wait and see what happens.
Old 2004-02-02, 14:48   Link #272
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

I think Jose is the type who wouldn't fit in properly within this organization... so yeah... maybe he is trying to leave the organization...

I think the blonde guy with Rico is the type of individual that the organization needs... Jose is too caring and that fact is clear cuz of his treatment of Henrietta ... and I think that the organization is an uncaring establishment who just needs jobs to be done efficiently...

Last edited by Prince of Chronics; 2004-02-02 at 14:49. Reason: grammar!
Prince of Chronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-02, 20:26   Link #273
Raxial
CG / Color

Send a message via AIM to Raxial
i don't see why he would want to attack the organization though. The show never seems to portray the organization as "evil", necessarily. Maybe Jose would get fired and Henrietta gets pissed off or something, but I doubt Jose would order her aginst his own people (even if he doesn't fit in).
Raxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-02, 21:38   Link #274
tcrystalis

Rumor has it that this anime is funded in part by some people or company from the U.S. at a cost of 13 million yen each. I am not sure how much that is, but it sounds like a lot. It is also kinda cool to have half of the cost being funded by the us and Europe. This info comes from an article I read in animenewsnetwork.com.

Besides that I think that people are really getting some weird and wrong ideas about this anime. I see no reason why this show is going to be about a shootout between the girls and the corporation.

The agency is not the bad guy here. They are part of the government and there mission i to secretly handle various terrorist groups and protect the nation.

Triela is not going behind the agency's back with that phone call she made. She was simply answering some followup questions and even told the investigator who is from the agency himself that the call was being monitored and he replied that he had nothing to hide.

This is not a show about hatred and revenge. It is a story of love, adolescence, and devotion...and one's place in the world.

As far as there being no plot, the plot was made plain in the first two episodes. It is a show where we see the lives of these girls in the situtions they have been placed and see what makes them human and that they are adolescent girls and how they grow up and the consequences of their programming.

Well, I think I am done ranting. I do agree with kensuke that the next few episodes will probably be tied closely together, mostly because of what the investigator said after talking to his secretary after his phone call to Triela.

I am very eager to see the next episode tender emoptions Does anyone here read Japanese or know when vol 2 of the manga in english comes out or can read the news to do some investigating on the gunslinger girl websites and find out if there will be a second season or who the show is liscensed to? Someone told me when the manga for vol 2 and 3 comes out, but I think that those dates were for the Japanese versions.

Night all, I have a test I need to study for coming tomorrow at high noon.
tcrystalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-03, 11:20   Link #275
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Spoiler:

The last vol is supposedly action packed, 2nd Section is facing a group of very skillful and determined Republican seperatists.
Old 2004-02-03, 12:35   Link #276
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrystalis
Besides that I think that people are really getting some weird and wrong ideas about this anime. I see no reason why this show is going to be about a shootout between the girls and the corporation.

The agency is not the bad guy here. They are part of the government and there mission i to secretly handle various terrorist groups and protect the nation.
Even the existence of such a secret government agency would be illegal already.

And if the the fact they brainwash children and turn them into mass-murdering cyborgs doesn't make the agency evil, nothing will.
a_nevels666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-03, 12:55   Link #277
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrystalis
Rumor has it that this anime is funded in part by some people or company from the U.S. at a cost of 13 million yen each. I am not sure how much that is, but it sounds like a lot. It is also kinda cool to have half of the cost being funded by the us and Europe. This info comes from an article I read in animenewsnetwork.com.
13 million yen is approx. USD$108,000.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-03, 16:53   Link #278
The Faction's Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_nevels666
Even the existence of such a secret government agency would be illegal already.

And if the the fact they brainwash children and turn them into mass-murdering cyborgs doesn't make the agency evil, nothing will.
It all depends on your definition of evil, I feel that, no, the second section is not inherently evil. Their methods are unorthodox, and you should also take into account how the girls actually feel about this. Most of the girls would've died if not for the corporation, and the corporation gains someone to deal with terrorists, this also benefits the general public. The girls themselves seem to quite like the corporation, the title song even has the words, "Haven for us", I interpret this as from being from the girls point of view, so they do see the corporation as a place of safety.

See, it all depends on how you look at it.
Old 2004-02-03, 18:05   Link #279
u&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Faction's Lord
It all depends on your definition of evil, I feel that, no, the second section is not inherently evil. Their methods are unorthodox, and you should also take into account how the girls actually feel about this. Most of the girls would've died if not for the corporation, and the corporation gains someone to deal with terrorists, this also benefits the general public. The girls themselves seem to quite like the corporation, the title song even has the words, "Haven for us", I interpret this as from being from the girls point of view, so they do see the corporation as a place of safety.

See, it all depends on how you look at it.
Yes I agree. Some people consider me being evil for imprisoning my moldavian sex-slaves in my brothrel, having them raped every night by drunken men. I'm the good guy here. The girls are better off than they would be in moldavia and my costomers are really satisfied. I'm reliving these men of some tension. Thats good for the society as a whole.

The girls are really happy too. I give them plenty of heroin so they feel good all the time. It also helps them not feeling the pain from the occasional customer going creative with a broken bottle . They love it! Sure beats starving to death in moldavia. The corporation in Gunslinger Girls is not evil and neither am I.
u&t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-03, 20:29   Link #280
tcrystalis

hehe, I do like your sarcasm u&t I am not being sarcastic either, I think it is a good way to make your point. First off, a corporation that is secret from the government does not make them evil. Even so this agency clearly does work for the government albeit a secret service agency. Our government has a secret service branch. This does not mean that it is ethical or good though.

But back to u&t's question (although indirectly asked), the agency does what it does not for money or profit or power, but to protect the government from terrorist organizations and other underground threats like the mafia. In Israel every citizen is part of the military. In the U.S. we have the draft and we have used it before. I really do agree with Faction Lord that it depends on what your definition of evil is. There are a lot of people even now trying to make legal those very things you say are wrong (heroin use, prostitution, etc) are they wrong? Yes. By what standard though? Here we get all philisophical and I have seen such debates before and they get stupid, silly, and smart, but they go on forever.

Now let me break my own rules for a sec and tell you what I think about the agency.

The point is how do the producers of this show portray the agency and the girls and what do they portray as being evil or good in the show? There really is more to it than that though. I have to say that the agency is doing what they think is best. It is shown that these girls would each have died had it not been for the corporation. Is Rico being treated right or is it right that the girls are seen as nothing more than tools? People in the military live and die for their country as nothing more than tools. Is it wrong how the girls are being treated? honestly, I am not so sure. Mostly I don't think so though.

Is it wrong to kill? No, of course not. Is it wrong to murder? Most definitely. Most people do not realize the difference between the two though.

I hope this topic on whether the agency is good or bad doesn't go on too long and become an argument where everyone takes sides. I have seen it happen before. If anyone sees that happening I hope someone jumps in and changes the topic.

Last edited by tcrystalis; 2004-02-06 at 04:52. Reason: grammar again.
tcrystalis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, drama, sci-fi, seinen