AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2009-12-27, 23:47   Link #4521
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamar View Post
I'd really like a confirmation that the original Japanese said in unambiguous terms that the knock actually happened, because everything I saw in the English translation was either vague or seemed worded to intentionally mislead you into thinking a knock that didn't happen did happen.

People keep saying "it definitely said it happened" but I thought I was paying pretty close attention to the wording and if there was something that unambiguous IN RED I totally missed it. (Admittedly I was up ~6 hours past when I'd normally go to sleep, so yeah).

It just seems REALLY suspicious to me that LD was so quick to jump in with something as oddly worded as "No one misheard a knock" (or whatever the exact wording was) after being so stingy with it.
There are some slight terminology differences in the red and blue text below and Witch Hunt's translation, but all of the red and blue text were taken directly from the game and translated fairly literally.

Spoiler for All of the red and blue text concerning the letter and knocking:

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru episode 6: Dawn of the golden witch
Translations & summaries & screenshots
Part I | Part II In progress

Last edited by Li Jianliang; 2009-12-28 at 00:01.
Li Jianliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 00:21   Link #4522
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Jianliang View Post
There are some slight terminology differences in the red and blue text below and Witch Hunt's translation, but all of the red and blue text were taken directly from the game and translated fairly literally.

This exchange of red and blue makes Battler's theories seem like a joke. Then again, he is incompetent...

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 00:25   Link #4523
ameskitty
Kupo

Quote:
Note that the text saying that they all "definitely heard the knock" is not in red. If I'm reading through this correctly I can hypothesize that Lambda can say as much as she wants in red about a knocking described in her game, but the knocking in question never occurred in reality. The door was opened either because Kanon and Shannon were leaving, somebody related to the culprit falsely stated that they thought they heard somebody knocking, or they wanted some fresh air. The letter was placed at a time earlier than 24:00, (I think?) making all relevant red texts worthless.

It's the letter-placement texts that make it a bit difficult :/.

It's as simple as how in EP4 Beato said that nobody else could claim Kanon's name in response to his appearance to the servants, contradicting his earlier death, but you can just as easily state that Kanon never appeared before the servants and the scene was a complete lie.

Could this be one of the "poisonous tricks" Ryukishi was talking about, I wonder? Red texts covering an event that didn't happen? That's awful nasty if you think about it.

Avatar adapted from Yoshitaka Amano art

"There is no such thing as a sexy George." - Rhiannon, Easy A
ameskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 00:34   Link #4524
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I'd like to think about it this way:

If the red text is stated for an event that did not exist, then the red still chronicles the truth insofar as assuming that if such an event will exist at some point, it will exist in the manner stated by the red text.

I think that line of reasoning has some similarities to a priori but my mind is too hung over from a party last night to function enough.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 00:36   Link #4525
Kamar
Author Wannabe

As always, the simplest way to explain something impossible is that it didn't happen. This kind of scene may be more believable than something like the ridiculous magic fights, but a big theme of this episode in particular is that just because something is believable doesn't mean it is true.

Edit: Also, can someone point me to the closest skip-point if I want to re-read this scene?
Kamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 00:40   Link #4526
luckyssol

Quote:
Ah, this must be a preview for episode 6

Anyway, I'll add to my previous theory that it was actually the front door of the mansion that was knocked on. The door to the dining room hall was not locked. There was no need to anyone to knock on it since they could have simply entered the room.

Shannon and Kanon knocked on the door to dining room prior to entering. As servants, it's expected they would behave this way.

The front door to the mansion was locked. If someone who did not have a key wanted to come back inside the mansion and didn't know it was locked then it is natural they would have knocked.

Key problem: Rudolf mentions that the door was not locked after he heard the knock. That means he perceived that the knock came from the door to the dining room hall.
Old 2009-12-28, 00:45   Link #4527
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Well, it wasn't stated that the location of a knock couldn't be misheard, just that nobody would mistake a non-knock sound for a knock...
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 01:22   Link #4528
TTR
受話器持って魔女・エアトリーチェ

Quote:
Originally Posted by k//eternal View Post
Well, it wasn't stated that the location of a knock couldn't be misheard, just that nobody would mistake a non-knock sound for a knock...
Wait, so can someone pull up the japanese for Lambda's red? It stated that "The knocking was from a person knocking on the door by hand." Does this mean that "the knock (i.e. the knock that the people in the dining room) is defined as the sound of a hand on that specific door" or that "a knock is defined as the sound of a hand on any door?"

I THINK it's the first definition merely because Lambda already defined the recorded sound of a knock as "the sound of a tape playing back a knock" and not "a knock" itself. Therefore, on a similar train of though, a knock on the main mansion front door would have been identified as such and NOT just any knock. Not only that, but I have a feeling that they wouldn't have heard a knock on the front door anyway.
TTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 01:41   Link #4529
ijriims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
How do you Explain Natsuhi's clock showing 0:07? It couldn't have possibly took her 40 or so minutes to get to her room after Genji told her about the call.
If you read the SN again, it was portrayed that Genji told Nanjo the mysterious man was calling Natsuhi again, and then he redirected the phone call. AFTER THAT, he and Krauss returned to the parlor and he saw the family ring on Battler's finger.

This contradicted with the red text that Genji went DIRECTLY to the waiting room after redirecting the phone call.

So either the scene where Genji and Krauss went to parlor did not happen at all, or actually happened much earlier than the phone-directing scene. My opinion was the latter, so Battler recieved the ring at around 11:20, then Genji and Krauss came in a few minutes latter. At around 24:00, the mysterious man called and Genji redirected the phone call, then he went straightly for the waiting room.
ijriims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 01:50   Link #4530
luckyssol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijriims View Post
If you read the SN again, it was portrayed that Genji told Nanjo the mysterious man was calling Natsuhi again, and then he redirected the phone call. AFTER THAT, he and Krauss returned to the parlor and he saw the family ring on Battler's finger.

This contradicted with the red text that Genji went DIRECTLY to the waiting room after redirecting the phone call.

So either the scene where Genji and Krauss went to parlor did not happen at all, or actually happened much earlier than the phone-directing scene. My opinion was the latter, so Battler recieved the ring at around 11:20, then Genji and Krauss came in a few minutes latter. At around 24:00, the mysterious man called and Genji redirected the phone call, then he went straightly for the waiting room.
We discussed this a few months ago. Genji did go directly to the waiting room after transferring the call to Natsuhi. AFTER THAT he and Krauss returned to the dining room.

However, this begs the question why would they do that?
Old 2009-12-28, 01:58   Link #4531
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang
Quote:
It was 11:49PM, according to the game, when Natsuhi, Krauss, and Genji left the dining room. Kanon and Shannon came into the room shortly afterwards with tea and snacks, then came the knocking, the clock tolling 0AM, and people getting the door after a pause. Battler puts on the ring and Krauss and Genji return to the dining room at 0:04AM.
Natsuhi also hears the clock tolling right after Genji tells her about the phone call.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru episode 6: Dawn of the golden witch
Translations & summaries & screenshots
Part I | Part II In progress
Li Jianliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 02:13   Link #4532
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
It was 11:49PM, according to the game, when Natsuhi, Krauss, and Genji left the dining room. Kanon and Shannon came into the room shortly afterwards with tea and snacks, then came the knocking, the clock tolling 0AM, and people getting the door after a pause. Battler puts on the ring and Krauss and Genji return to the dining room at 0:04AM.
Natsuhi also hears the clock tolling right after Genji tells her about the phone call.
There's still a bit of a big time gap inbetween. As the VN presented we only could assume that Natsuhi and Krauss were only in that same hallway talking the entire time after they left until being called by Genji, in fact we don't have much of an idea of what Genji was doing before he called Natsuhi. Likewise, did Genji and Krauss go back straight to the conference after? The clock struck midnight the moment Genji told Natsuhi of the call, and we have approx. 5min in between before Krauss and Genji went back.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 08:35   Link #4533
Raneh
Storyteller

Quote:
I noticed one strange line by the narrator, it was when the people found the letter.
Spoiler for pic:

"Barely an hour ago", if they arrived after 11:49PM and the letter was found at midnight how is that barely an hour? Time seems screwed up here too.
Old 2009-12-28, 09:04   Link #4534
LaplaceNoMa

I'm sorry to disrupt any ep5 discussions going on, I was just re-reading eps 1-4 in order to get ready for ep5 and I've noticed something in Tips about Battler's death: it says that he was with Jessica at the moment of his death and then this disrupting phrase about 'Wolves and sheep puzzle'. Does anyone have any idea about that?
LaplaceNoMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 13:33   Link #4535
Leinne
Who... am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaplaceNoMa View Post
I'm sorry to disrupt any ep5 discussions going on, I was just re-reading eps 1-4 in order to get ready for ep5 and I've noticed something in Tips about Battler's death: it says that he was with Jessica at the moment of his death and then this disrupting phrase about 'Wolves and sheep puzzle'. Does anyone have any idea about that?
From ep2 rosa's explanation to get rid of everyone. the TIPs say, Jessica wasn't there, Battler was with Eva, the wolves and sheep puzzle (sth like this)
If you think about it it hints a very good part of the mystery in ep3 about Eva being the culprit.
Let's suppose you're alone in a room with just another person, everyone has been killed and you know you aren't the killer, then what does that make the other person?
Leinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 15:22   Link #4536
Arachanox
Trust the red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raneh View Post
I noticed one strange line by the narrator, it was when the people found the letter.
Spoiler for pic:

"Barely an hour ago", if they arrived after 11:49PM and the letter was found at midnight how is that barely an hour? Time seems screwed up here too.
I haven't gone back and checked the clocks myself, but I have heard of a theory that 'the dirty trick' Ryukishi mentioned in his interview was that the chronology of EP5 is a bit messed up on purpose. As in, the 'clocks' we see in between scenes are wrong, and the narration isn't telling the true time either.

edit: To an extent. That isn't to say that 'no crime was committed between 24:00 and 1:00...' things are false, since they are in red.
Arachanox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 15:42   Link #4537
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
I want to say the clock being off is just a minor incidence that has no significant bearing on the meat of the game, so it wouldn't matter if someone else checked the clock against watches or other timekeepers. The clock just happened to be off; maybe one of the overarching witches did it to humiliate Erika with a seemingly chronologically impossible situation. If Erik happened to be in the room, then I wager this mystery wouldn't have been so, because Erika easily could've checked the time (the detective cannot miss anything important and the detective's words must not be false) with some crazy method. Also, the people in the dining room just discovered enough gold to last 10 lifetimes and trying to get on each other's good side, I doubt anyone would be fastidious about "hey the clock's a minute fast!!" George wasn't in the room. It was a pendulum clock that chimed, I believe, which usually has a hutch over the clock face that prevents people from touching it and doing a quick manual fix job on the spot.
Natsuhi and Genji would notice.

Quote:

Let me premise that my point is there is no way to explain this mystery without acknowledging that what it's been shown is fake. You can state your theory if you acknowledge that, but in that way you open the way for many interpretations and not just your.

However if you think that your theory makes it work somehow without recurring to something that has been faked in the scenes then let me say this:

Your theory doesn't work. It is a fact that Eva was still knocking at Kinzo's door at 23:00. So if your theory is true that means in merely 20 minutes the scenes of Krauss restraining Eva happened, and then the family went all the way to see the gold, the discussion started and then they all returned to the mansion. In merely 20 minutes.
Not only that, in that amount of time Krauss and Natsuhi made themselves absent, Shannon and Kanon arrived with a serving cart they talked with the relatives, a knock was heard a letter with the ring was found etc etc.
All this in merely 20 minutes...

That doesn't work for me.

Last edited by Jan-Poo; 2009-12-28 at 20:19.
Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 16:40   Link #4538
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
Beatrice states that if the epitaph is solved, the murders will stop. But it appears that they don't.

One character (X) is masterminding all deaths that occur prior to the discovery of the gold. A different character (Y) masterminds any deaths after the discovery.

If the epitaph is not solved, both Battler and Maria survive to the tenth twilight. If the epitaph is solved, Maria dies at the first twilight following the solution. No envelopes or magic circles appear after Maria dies, and she is present at the discovery of most envelopes.

Episode 5: There's a slight glitch in Erika's reasoning. At one point, she claims the 1st twilight murders were done prior to 1 AM. Except that's impossible; Rosa was still alive at that point. Erika ultimately covered that by claiming Natsuhi went downstairs after 3 AM; still, she slips between "crime occurred" and "killer entered / left the second floor of the guesthouse". That could be a hole for the real explanation.

Last edited by rogerpepitone; 2009-12-28 at 16:53.
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 17:46   Link #4539
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpepitone View Post
If the epitaph is not solved, both Battler and Maria survive to the tenth twilight. If the epitaph is solved, Maria dies at the first twilight following the solution. No envelopes or magic circles appear after Maria dies, and she is present at the discovery of most envelopes.
There is a magic circle at the First Twilight in ep5. Although it is rather distinctly pointed out as crude and amateurish by the witches, so...

Let's go back to ep1 for a moment. In ep1, Kanon may have faked his death. Kanon, Shannon, and Krauss are the only people who could have committed all the murders by themselves. Krauss and Shannon require that you believe they were not really killed. This is unlikely for Krauss, but at least possible for Shannon. However, Kanon still being alive is very much possible, and indeed the red text enforces it. After the parlor murders, Natsuhi finds a letter which causes her to rush out to the foyer. She is in an immense hurry. Why?

Kanon is the young man from 19 years ago, or acting in the role of that person whether or not he really exists. If he isn't the man, his actions are meant as some other outlet for his anger which arises from an as-yet unclear source. If he is, then his desire for revenge should be obvious. His goal is specifically revenge against Natsuhi, although he may have other targets. He may also be working with some other killer or mastermind, while dealing with his own plans on the side. After faking his own death, Kanon was in a position to take out Natsuhi, so he sent her a letter that only she would have clearly recognized as being from the man from 19 years ago, which ensured she would rush to where she was told to go. He then shot her. It's possible that they had a confrontation and Natsuhi simply couldn't bring herself to fire out of guilt, leading to her own death, but that's largely immaterial.

My main problem with this is that too many things point toward Kanon and I'm instantly suspicious of people being too suspicious. If that makes sense.
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 18:22   Link #4540
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
Incidentally, what evidence is there that there was a letter in the parlor in episode 1? Jessica, George, and Battler failed to notice it. It wasn't found on Natushi's body. We have only Maria's word that it existed in the first place. Even in the best case, she's not a reliable witness. At the very least, she's lying or mistaken when she claims that Beatrice wasn't one of the other people on the island. She was also in a terrible position to see Natsuhi with the letter. Battler's a big guy, and he was probably right between Maria and Natsuhi. Even if he didn't block her sight, IIRC, he was grabbing and shaking her at the time. Human reflex would be to focus on him at the time. (Natsuhi's actions could be better explained if she got instructions during the phone call to Kinzo's study.)

As for the first twilight in episode 5, those circles could have been made while Maria was still alive.
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote