AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-09-15, 21:42   Link #641
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Turning strong female characters into damsels-in-distress for The Hero to rescue.
Care to share a few examples, please? I ask this because I almost never encounter this in the anime I watch.
DuelGundam2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-16, 21:15   Link #642
DaSilverShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuelGundam2099 View Post
Care to share a few examples, please? I ask this because I almost never encounter this in the anime I watch.
Yuki Asuna from Sword Art Online is a prime example of a strong female (pretty much as overpowered as the main character) reduced to elf ears in a cage.
DaSilverShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-18, 18:50   Link #643
EscapeReality

The fact that all the girls fall for the main male protagonist, for no reason at all, even when the series is NOT a harem. I know anime is naturally dramatized, but I'm hoping that there could be at least a bit of realistic character behavior. It makes the show a lot more relatable.
EscapeReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-22, 12:08   Link #644
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Shirou Emiya is (in)famous for saying "People die when they are killed".

The irony is that while this statement gets mocked for how "Captain Obvious" it is, the statement actually doesn't seem to apply much to anime these days.

Just recently, a major character made a dramatic re-entrance after seemingly being killed a few episodes before. Going by the statements made by the other major characters, this character really did get killed. So your average person would probably think that her dramatic, out of nowhere, re-entrance would be startling and surprising, in a good way.

But no, most viewers seem downright ho-hum over it.

I think it's a shame really. It can take a lot of the thrill away from a startling re-emergence, and it can also cheapen an actual death scene (since in some cases, the character really is dead, and isn't coming back, and suspicions to the contrary means the death doesn't have the impact it could and perhaps should have).

So this cliche of a character never actually being dead unless a dead body is produced (and even then, doubt may be there) is something I've grown to dislike.
Old 2013-09-22, 15:28   Link #645
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
snip
Mm. Well played R. I wholeheartedly agree.

These days anime characters just don't die, even when killed.

IT'S TIME WE THE AUDIENCE TAKE DEATH BA- BRING DEATH BACK!
Old 2013-09-26, 01:41   Link #646
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Recently?

This has been a staple characteristics of shounen manga since like forever.
Old 2013-09-26, 08:00   Link #647
Celestia Ludenberg
Ultimate Gambler

Probably been mentioned in this thread already but....

*Male Protagonist walks in on a Female Character showering/dressing*

"EHHHHHH????" - Female

*Male Protagonist gets beat up over a mistake he could have apologized for before quickly closing the door*

The worst part about this cliche is for some reason the water pipes are sound proof so you can't tell if there's water running somewhere in the house and if you're behind a closed door I'm pretty sure you can hear the shower running.

Last edited by Celestia Ludenberg; 2013-09-27 at 07:52.
Celestia Ludenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-26, 08:25   Link #648
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionette Cherry View Post

*Male Protagonist in on a Female Character showering/dressing*

"EHHHHHH????" - Female

*Male Protagonist gets beat up over a mistake he could have apologized for before quickly closing the door*

The worst part about this cliche is for some reason the water pipes are sound proof so you can't tell if there's water running somewhere in the house and if you're behind a closed door I'm pretty sure you can hear the shower running.
Btw, have you ever read Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer?

At one point early in the series, the protagonist is given short direction to the bathroom.
He stands in front of the two doors down the hall, contemplating how if he purposely choose the wrong door, he may run into a delicious cliche of exactly above. Without hesitation, he opens to the door to find a woman dressing inside.

The manga is full of genre savvy characters who have fun with cliche.
Old 2013-09-26, 08:36   Link #649
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Food Obsesstion and Fat Secondary Character with nothing special.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-26, 11:15   Link #650
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionette Cherry View Post

*Male Protagonist in on a Female Character showering/dressing*

"EHHHHHH????" - Female

Better yet, when it's a female doing the very same thing and the male is the one getting beat up. Or generally any female character who resorts to violence for no reason (worst offenders: tsunderes).... and no, "hiding her embarassment" isn't a valid excuse.
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-27, 07:52   Link #651
Celestia Ludenberg
Ultimate Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Btw, have you ever read Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer?

At one point early in the series, the protagonist is given short direction to the bathroom.
He stands in front of the two doors down the hall, contemplating how if he purposely choose the wrong door, he may run into a delicious cliche of exactly above. Without hesitation, he opens to the door to find a woman dressing inside.

The manga is full of genre savvy characters who have fun with cliche.

I'll have to read that.

I like things that poke fun at other things
Celestia Ludenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-02, 21:15   Link #652
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
Food Obsesstion
Food-obsessed characters definitely irritate me. I just can't stand gluttony...in any type of media, really.
IT'S GROSS!!
Old 2013-10-03, 04:52   Link #653
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Food-obsessed characters definitely irritate me. I just can't stand gluttony...in any type of media, really.
IT'S GROSS!!
Not to mention it's always a character you would expect to not eat everything in enormous quantities. Especially female athletes apparently devour anything and everything as opposed to things that athletes normally eat. Hmmm...

Also, if a shounen hero comes 'round you better close shop because he will literally eat the entire supply of food, any season. They will consume enough food that your Winter supplies will be totally gone, but not enough that you starve before the cold sets in. Horrible people those shounen heroes...

There was one character whose eating obsession was done really well, though: Hei from Darker Than Black. Though this series had the advantage of it being an interesting plot point.
Old 2013-10-03, 05:17   Link #654
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Food Obsession and Fat Primary or Secondary Character with nothing special.
Fix it. I also hate gluttonous females. They make REAL girls jealous.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 07:46   Link #655
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

I also hate this type: Girls who tease boys with their bodies, but in the end they are all "innocent"!

Not really that much - I actually enjoy some of them, like Tatenashi from Infinite Stratos. The main point here is the illogical of this type.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-29, 17:50   Link #656
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
Quote:
I also hate this type: Girls who tease boys with their bodies, but in the end they are all "innocent"!

Not really that much - I actually enjoy some of them, like Tatenashi from Infinite Stratos. The main point here is the illogical of this type.
While this seems illogical, in real life this is more common than some of the other cliches (athlete eating everything in her way...for example...)

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-29, 22:33   Link #657
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Anime cliches, oh what have you done to me.

--This is for trying to tell a story when you were better off being harmless fanservice.

--This is for setting up a story and forgetting it exists for most of your episodes.

--This is for having an indecisive (fe)male lead who can't pick a partner.

--This is for resetting all the story events that happened without any prior warning.

--This is for escalating powers in action series that eliminate most of the strategy the combat was focused on.

--This is for throwing random things together and trying to pass it off as smart.

--This is for ruining characters who were good in a previous season or earlier in the show.

--This is for building a relationship between characters that's about to become or is romantic before it's swiftly destroyed by the real winner.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-30, 07:52   Link #658
FireChick

1. Random boob-groping that comes out of nowhere for no reason at all! God, someone kill this cliche already!

2. Characters REFUSING to clear things up between each other, to the point of overusing the quote "this has nothing to do with you!" This happens a lot in romance anime (and other media) for some reason.

3. Incest. Everything incest.

4. Giving girl characters ridiculously HUGE boobs that are too large for them and making them into sex objects instead of characters. Ugh!

I'd go on, but I'd probably get yelled at.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-30, 11:11   Link #659
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
1. Random boob-groping that comes out of nowhere for no reason at all! God, someone kill this cliche already!

2. Characters REFUSING to clear things up between each other, to the point of overusing the quote "this has nothing to do with you!" This happens a lot in romance anime (and other media) for some reason.

3. Incest. Everything incest.

4. Giving girl characters ridiculously HUGE boobs that are too large for them and making them into sex objects instead of characters. Ugh!

I'd go on, but I'd probably get yelled at.
I strongly agree with 1 and 3, largely because they're just way overused. Unless executed extremely well, they also come across as painfully contrived/unrealistic to me, which can roughly knock me out of the story.

I think that 2 is bad if its overused, but I can understand how misunderstandings between characters can be a good way to create drama, suspense, tension, and rivalries.

I agree with 4 once we get to the point that they look like dangerously unhealthy tumors. And some anime sadly do take it to that point.
Old 2013-11-30, 20:57   Link #660
Lightning_Wing

Quote:
Food Obsesstion and Fat Secondary Character with nothing special.
I don't mind the fat secondary character trope, since it's not really a cliche on its own.

It's just a variation of the "Big Guy" trope, in settings where it's still useful to have a character counter the more limber lead, but would be a bit awkward to have a rather muscly dude as the role, i.e. Steins;Gate and, well, the Manga Guide to Calculus .

Tags
disscusion, manga cliche good bad