AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-02-06, 20:18   Link #1
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Anime cliche that you hate, with a good reason

Anime cliche, like movie ones can be awesome or annoying, depend on people who watched them. Some are awesome that worth to be seen many times. Some are jusk "OK" and only good to be seen for first few times and will get annoying after that. Some are so annoying just for the first time.

What is it?: Girls can't cook

Worst offenders: Ranma 1/2(there just too many examples for it but I picked this one because it is the show that started this cliche)

Notable exceptions: Cooking Master Boy(It takes cooking to professional way)

Variants: Boys and men who cooks better than women

What makes it popular: Teenage girls, like teenage boys, always dreamed of having boyfriends or husbands who can cook and hope that they can spend less time in kitchen or stay away from it for good.

Reason that I hated it: They aren't much things to say except girls who can't cook often portrayed too rebellious for their own good. As for Ranma 1/2, it uses this cliche only to make Akane as cute character and her mishaps are comedic but unfortunately it started a mess, many years to come.

Does the hate really worth it?: Probably yes and probably no. There is a complete aversion of this cliche: girls who loves to cook and only for moe factor alone. It is annoying as this cliche itself.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 00:23   Link #2
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Nice thread

What is it?: LONG HAIR BEING CHOPPED OFF.

Worst offenders: Every anime under the goddamn sun just about!!

Notable exceptions: Haruhi Suzumiya looks good both with long and short hair. Haruhi Fujioka only looks good with short hair.

What makes it popular: Long hair is usually cut when a character wants to change.....but not always. I swear, people do it just to piss you off!!

Reason that I hate it: I'm just a long hair fanatic. If you have gorgeous hair, DON'T EFFING RUIN IT!! The haircut always looks so FUGLY!!!

Is the hate really worth it?: It happens way way too much to way too many characters it shouldn't and they almost ALWAYS lose their charm so I think so!!

*hate hate hate*
Old 2011-02-09, 02:06   Link #3
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
For some reason I have a deja vu on this thread. But I don't want to waste my time searching to necromance, and this seems to focus on a single cliche per post instead of a list, so:

What is it? Anime trying for original ideas.

No seriously? Well, of course we want to change things up a bit, but the new "original" is more "outrageous," such as magical girls fighting with chainsaws. Original, huh?

Worst Offenders: No specific anime example, but girls with way too interesting weapons in general. One example that comes to mind is "Go go Rubber Duckies!" (and some of you will know what I'm talking about).

Notable Exceptions: Haruna (Zombie desu wa), Gunslinger Girl, Moetan (really nice parody of mahou shoujo), SHnY (presentation), Elfen Lied (specific to its airing time)

What makes it popular: We all get sick of girls with swords, at least some of us. We also don't want to watch the same thing over with a slightly different plot.

Reasons I hate it: It's pretty ridiculous to use your cell phone to shoot laser beams at denizens of the underworld.

Is the hate really worth it? Yes, because it's usually not one anime where everyone has ridiculous weapons, but in a good anime where one character sort of ruins the whole experience.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 17:15   Link #4
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Starting to really loathe the whole Song & Dance Number that's become a huge sensation in anime recently. It's the purest form of pandering in my eyes (basically saying, "hey otaku, here's a cute girl singing and dancing, please support this "energetic" personality by buying the single and figures), often comes about in episodes out of the blue, often serves no purpose to the story, and has in the worst cases even supplanted real character development for the characters involved in the dancing scenes.

The only time I really want to see upwards of 3 minutes spent on a song & dance number during a shows run time is if the show is actually about singing & dancing or if it's going to play a big part in defining the character involved through dialogue and exposition later on. The fact that the majority of these song & dance bits usually seem to be forgotten about immediately after they've happened have lead me to refer to them as anime's own custom "Big Lipped Alligator Moment".
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 18:18   Link #5
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

What is it?
Harem plot that just orbits male lead stupidity.
Worst Offenders?
Sadly, it has become the de facto definition of a harem anime. So, yeah everything under the sun. Series like IS are just pushing it to the next frontier, to the point the main protagonist almost looks gay. Actually, maybe if he was officially gay it would probably make for more interesting plot.
What makes it popular?
Uh… it's not really popular; just cheap. Really cheap! It's more of a popular technique, just like filler is popular technique.
Reasons I hate it?
Because even a corny explanation is better. Because the crappy male lead, typically implies even crappier backplot — and that's if they don't just have X is classmate, Y is childhood friend, etc. Because female leads in this environment simply can't be anything more then one of the standard bad stereotypes we've all seen a 1000 times. Because, shit, you know he either won't end up with any of them, or pick the worst one that just happens to look pretty (on paper), never the caring one, never the deserving one, never the skilled one, never the charming one, no-no always has to be the one with the shitty attitude and problems (how else are they gonna emphasize how retarded he is). Because it's overused, and tends to creep into what should be technically "serious stories" — mind you I'm not against series like IS that are designed to be watched with your brain off, but still.
Old 2011-02-11, 18:31   Link #6
Repelsteeltju
DRRR!!

What is it?

verbal tics

Worst Offenders?

Naruto and Pokémon...

What makes it popular?

God, knows... it's annoying and stupid.

Reasons I hate it?

Didn't I already mention this...?

I t - i s - a n n o y i n g - a n d - s t u p i d ! ! !
Repelsteeltju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 18:48   Link #7
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Worst Offenders?
Sadly, it has become the de facto definition of a harem anime. So, yeah everything under the sun. Series like IS are just pushing it to the next frontier, to the point the main protagonist almost looks gay. Actually, maybe if he was officially gay it would probably make for more interesting plot.
That would be a truly hilarious harem anime.

Set it up as a typical harem anime, and then near/at the end, have the male lead eventually come out and reveal that he's gay, and that's why he wasn't interested in any of the girls, lol.

It would be a nice twist on the whole "Indecisive Harem Lead" trope, lol.
Old 2011-02-11, 19:34   Link #8
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I have to say, I don't remember any verbal tics in Naruto and Pokemon. Care to enlighten me?
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-12, 04:41   Link #9
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
In pokemon, it would be just when almost every pokemon talks, since they can only say their own name.

Verbal tics can be pretty annoying if used in excess. Of course, nothing can compare to the verbal tic hell that is the first few episodes of Kanon. Oh god.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-12, 04:43   Link #10
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I have to say, I don't remember any verbal tics in Naruto and Pokemon. Care to enlighten me?
I think -databayo is one of them. Dunno about pokemon, maybe it's the hole "pika pika" business.

[edit] Archon_Wing damn you :D
Old 2011-02-12, 05:24   Link #11
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I'm surprise nobody mentions this yet

What is it?

Comic-relief Best friend to Main Character.

Worst Offenders?

Er wow, where to begin? I'll just mention the latest ones- Zombie and Dragon Crisis.

What makes it popular?

I don't know, I'm not a doctor, scientist, lawyer, or politician.

But I do know that almost every romance/comedy has that one best friend that always lament that the main character gets all the girls while he acts stupid and gets nothing.

Reasons I hate it?

Hate might be too strong a word, but I do feel bad for that guy, why can't the best friend get any girl? And all they do is complaint about it, they should just try to steal girls away from the harem, there's always one or two girls that don't get enough loving right?

Actually, some of these guys are pretty decent, but the creator dictates that they be single forever.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-12, 08:59   Link #12
Leo Keichi

What is it?: Parents of the main character being dead.

Worst offenders: Pretty much any anime made after the 1980's... and before as well.

Variants: Variants? I don't know, maybe brother or sister being dead?

Notable exceptions: Only when the parents are the kind that they're so rich they're always travelling for business, which is just another excuse for them to never appear in the story anyway.

What makes it popular: I'm not even sure. Maybe it's been used so much it's become some sort of rule of anime. And because parents are boring, and it makes space for some drama.

Does the hate really worth it?: I think so, since it's unbelievably overused. What kind of universe is it where every teenager must have a dead parent?
Leo Keichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-12, 12:51   Link #13
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Keichi View Post
What is it?: Parents of the main character being dead.

Worst offenders: Pretty much any anime made after the 1980's... and before as well.

Variants: Variants? I don't know, maybe brother or sister being dead?

Notable exceptions: Only when the parents are the kind that they're so rich they're always travelling for business, which is just another excuse for them to never appear in the story anyway.

What makes it popular: I'm not even sure. Maybe it's been used so much it's become some sort of rule of anime. And because parents are boring, and it makes space for some drama.

Does the hate really worth it?: I think so, since it's unbelievably overused. What kind of universe is it where every teenager must have a dead parent?
Full-heartedly agree!! This is my second most hated cliche, actually. It's not every anime but it happens way too much. Magical girl shows seem to avoid it well enough. In fact, the girl usually has BOTH mother and father and grows up in a normal and loving family! I always cheer when I see an anime like that. XD
Old 2011-02-15, 13:57   Link #14
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
I generally have low tolerance for the instances where the author introduces a character so powerful to the point where they can only be defeated by some illness. There are times when there is adequate set-up for this so as not to appear like a complete ass-pull, such as Fist of the North Star (you might know who I'm talking about), but most of the time it becomes a plot device when one writes themselves into a corner. Naruto is especially bad with this.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-15, 18:55   Link #15
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito_Kinomoto View Post
I generally have low tolerance for the instances where the author introduces a character so powerful to the point where they can only be defeated by some illness. There are times when there is adequate set-up for this so as not to appear like a complete ass-pull, such as Fist of the North Star (you might know who I'm talking about), but most of the time it becomes a plot device when one writes themselves into a corner. Naruto is especially bad with this.
I'm going to say Souther.

Though I'd argue this cliche was actually done well in:

Spoiler for Legend of The Galactic Heroes:
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-15, 19:01   Link #16
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Full-heartedly agree!! This is my second most hated cliche, actually. It's not every anime but it happens way too much. Magical girl shows seem to avoid it well enough. In fact, the girl usually has BOTH mother and father and grows up in a normal and loving family! I always cheer when I see an anime like that. XD
Good parents seem to be lacking in anime. If they're not there/dead , they are frequently negligent and their children seem to go off by themselves weeks at a time. Or they're abusive or some crap.

For the most part it's just a lazy way of stopping parents getting in the way of the plot, but suddenly you realize why most of these kids are messed up in the head.

So yea, it actually makes me happier to see loving parents in an animu as well-- because it's rare and it really shouldn't be.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-16, 04:42   Link #17
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
What is it?
Harem plot that just orbits male lead stupidity.
Worst Offenders?
What makes it popular?
Uh… it's not really popular; just cheap. Really cheap! It's more of a popular technique, just like filler is popular technique.
Reasons I hate it?
Because even a corny explanation is better. Because the crappy male lead, typically implies even crappier backplot — and that's if they don't just have X is classmate, Y is childhood friend, etc. Because female leads in this environment simply can't be anything more then one of the standard bad stereotypes we've all seen a 1000 times. Because, shit, you know he either won't end up with any of them, or pick the worst one that just happens to look pretty (on paper), never the caring one, never the deserving one, never the skilled one, never the charming one, no-no always has to be the one with the shitty attitude and problems (how else are they gonna emphasize how retarded he is). Because it's overused, and tends to creep into what should be technically "serious stories" — mind you I'm not against series like IS that are designed to be watched with your brain off, but still.
Well, it's either an oblivious idiot or a disgusting lecher. Those are your options. Take your pick.

My pet peeve....

What is it?
The sudden "Power Level" increase. (Or the equivalent)

Worst Offenders:
Dragon Ball Z. After you start hitting 1 million, and scouters start exploding whenever a main character gets constipated, it's just too much.

Variants:
Bleach (bankai/hollowfication/etc), Naruto (chakra/overpowered techniques), etc. There's quite a few.

Notable Exceptions:
TTGL. Stuff gets bigger throughout the series, but they never lose sight of placing character development (that burning, manly will ) over powerups. Code Geass might be an exception as well. While it sometimes gets sidetracked by technology powerups, it ultimately is focused on the characters, not the Knightmare frames.

What makes it popular:
Probably the fact that those powerups are pretty exciting short-term, assuming they aren't COMPLETELY plot-kai. Sometimes they are (Bleach; Ichigo vs. Ulquiorra final battle), sometimes they aren't (DBZ, post-Krillin's death).

Why I hate it:
It's taken over modern shounen anime to the point where powerups are becoming a poor substitute for real plot-writing. Bleach especially, where Ichigo survives more fatal wounds due to unexplained powerups than Naruto says "-dattebayo". At least in Naruto there's an explanation for why Naruto is so durable. In Bleach, Ichigo has none of that. Just plot-kai.
Old 2011-02-16, 04:53   Link #18
Darklord_bg
Hallowed Redeemer

What is it? Girls beating up guys.

Worst Offenders: Almost every show out there...it will be easier to just list the exceptions below. If I have to say the freshest example in my mind, it is the Index/Railgun franchise...

Notable Exceptions: Kaze no Stigma - somehow the male lead is able to dodge everything the girl throws at him. Maybe because Kazuma is so AWESOME. There are probably other examples, but right now I can't think of any...

What makes it popular: I keep asking myself that. For girls, maybe they like seeing it because it feels more empowering. Funny thing is...it's popular among guys as well. Maybe they feel envious about the guy in question being a "chick magnet" and like to see him getting beat up.

Reasons I hate it: Well...it's unrealistic and it's demeaning to men. It makes them look weak and disposable.

Is the hate really worth it? Probably not, since it's mostly used as a comedic gag but I can't help it. If you can tell me how not to be bothered by it...please let me know.
Old 2011-02-16, 07:09   Link #19
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklord_bg View Post
Worst Offenders: Almost every show out there...it will be easier to just list the exceptions below. If I have to say the freshest example in my mind, it is the Index/Railgun franchise...
What are you talking about? In Index, the river of violence flows both ways...
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-16, 08:10   Link #20
Darklord_bg
Hallowed Redeemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
What are you talking about? In Index, the river of violence flows both ways...
True, but it's still fairly unbalanced. Touma probably gives one punch for every 10 he receives.

Tags
disscusion, manga cliche good bad