AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2016-06-03, 09:54   Link #9561
Ithekro
The Comet has Come
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 41
The Centurion is the closest thing they have the Main Battle Tank on that field from what I recall.

I wonder of the world tournament would push forward in years for available tanks (Korean War to Six Days War/Vietnam War perhaps?) Or keep everyone in World War II, as it is more an iconic era for tanks than post-war. Even if the world had better tanks post war.

What they might have fun with is dealing with how other countries do these games a bit differently. While the Europeans seem to match the Japanese in terms of rules for the most part, the Americans are a bit more unorthodox from what I recall. More a sense of hot rod culture. That could be fun with the American team having Hobart's Funnies as a baseline and simply hot rod their tanks with exposed engines, flame paint jobs, huge speaker systems, and random guns (that may or may not be "real").
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-03, 11:14   Link #9562
inisipis
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mandaluyong, Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
Actually, Miho told her what to do and that situation almost certainly occurred because they loaded the wrong shells (Alice does demonstrate CV33s can be knocked out in one hit). And no mentions about how they got surrounded (if those weren't CV33s...)?
(for Lenght)
I don't doubt Azusa's potential, at present she's not yet there. I don't see her commanding another tanker. I don't think she's capable now to reign in the other tankers and form them into a competent fighting force if Miho was knocked out of the game, going to my initial comment. At present I would choose Isobe for being far more dependable. I'm not sure what year Isobe is. All I know she's more senior than the first years, that includes her 3 tank crew. So when Miho graduates she'd probably graduated also.

If Alice's tank can do tank-fu I'd expect it capable of being a crack shot at long range, being the final boss after all (It won't work with Miho cuz the MC shield).

Yes, the down-hill drive's obvious defect is that they are left exposed to the enemy, but the increase speed to cross it more than compensate for such gamble. The Centurion can probably shoot at the most 1 to 2 tanks (it needs to reload) by the time they overwhelm it. It's a gamble they failed because Alice's skill is so OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The Centurion is the closest thing they have the Main Battle Tank on that field from what I recall.

I wonder of the world tournament would push forward in years for available tanks (Korean War to Six Days War/Vietnam War perhaps?) Or keep everyone in World War II, as it is more an iconic era for tanks than post-war. Even if the world had better tanks post war.

What they might have fun with is dealing with how other countries do these games a bit differently. While the Europeans seem to match the Japanese in terms of rules for the most part, the Americans are a bit more unorthodox from what I recall. More a sense of hot rod culture. That could be fun with the American team having Hobart's Funnies as a baseline and simply hot rod their tanks with exposed engines, flame paint jobs, huge speaker systems, and random guns (that may or may not be "real").
I think one of the charms of the show is that they are using vintage machines of a bygone age. The more closer the technology of the tank to the present time the more it looses it's appeal and novelty.

I for one would like to see the different tank cultures from the different countries (not their ersatz). Probably like some countries prefer race tank driving as opposed to just shooting each other, or maybe they prefer stunts and tricks like monster trucks.
inisipis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-03, 11:22   Link #9563
Gravitas Free Zone
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
huge speaker systems, and random guns (that may or may not be "real").
Images
DO IT... DO IT NOW.
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-03, 12:09   Link #9564
arkhangelsk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by inisipis View Post
I don't doubt Azusa's potential, at present she's not yet there. I don't see her commanding another tanker.
Isobe is year 2. You are certainly right in this contest, Isobe does have the advantage of having actual experience leading others. I'll even agree that Azusa may be a bit reticent to take command since all of them have seniority (a bigger thing in Japan). However, she does know what is the right thing to do and that's what I said.

If for example the task is executive (for example: distract this target or attack that target) Isobe can do it just fine. If the task is judgmental (example: decide whether holding or retreating is better, or when to transition from closing the distance to developing firepower), Azusa is a better choice.

Indeed, I have said a couple of days ago that really Miho should have let Azusa command OY defense line, because a) IMO she can do it, b) she needs the experience (as you say, this is a relative weakness of hers) + she's very likely to become captain so let's start now and c) it'll help attenuate her psychological stresses from their loss of relative position in Oarai's tank fleet. And Miho didn't. I'll grant it - maybe she's thinking the same thing as you.

But, she wasn't picking Isobe (she's not picking Erwin or Caesar either) and she was definitely there. Maybe she's thinking the same thing as me.

Quote:
If Alice's tank can do tank-fu I'd expect it capable of being a crack shot at long range, being the final boss after all (It won't work with Miho cuz the MC shield).
Though der Film has been trying to give everything to Alice, they did actually leave out long range shooting. First, look at the scene where Alice in her white Sherman wipes out the opposition ... at close range. Her entire team lacks a single really good shooter, so she's forced to resolve the hill problem using the Karl-Gerat - it is very much a sign of weakness.

Or you can look at how Alice kills people - Chi-Ha tanks, all close range ... OK, I'll accept an apologist explanation here.

But look at how Rabbit Team got shanked. They were shanked, and almost immediately Alice appears ... we can easily tell she was something like 20m behind them. Note also that 1) she did not try to match their shots and take out that CV33 which is a significant threat to her because it can keep her observed (not that it mattered; they chose to go off coaster) and 2) both Chaffees died. Given the lay out of the land there, Alice didn't just pop up 20m behind the M3, so ask yourself what was Alice doing while Rabbit Team was killing her Chaffees. She was probably a little far out, behind them and trying to get into position. If she had high hit rate at the longer range, she would have killed Rabbit Team before both her Chaffees are dead.

Hetzer, Chi-Nu ... again, right after the Chi-Nu dies we see Alice again. The pool scene - that pool wasn't very big. The whole area of the final battle area is also very small. May I draw conclusions?

Granted, Alice's tank is a step up in a world where people miss at 50m. However, that's not the same as good, or enough to invalidate the ways of that world.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-03, 13:24   Link #9565
inisipis
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mandaluyong, Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
Isobe is year 2. You are certainly right in this contest, Isobe does have the advantage of having actual experience leading others. I'll even agree that Azusa may be a bit reticent to take command since all of them have seniority (a bigger thing in Japan). However, she does know what is the right thing to do and that's what I said.

If for example the task is executive (for example: distract this target or attack that target) Isobe can do it just fine. If the task is judgmental (example: decide whether holding or retreating is better, or when to transition from closing the distance to developing firepower), Azusa is a better choice.

Indeed, I have said a couple of days ago that really Miho should have let Azusa command OY defense line, because a) IMO she can do it, b) she needs the experience (as you say, this is a relative weakness of hers) + she's very likely to become captain so let's start now and c) it'll help attenuate her psychological stresses from their loss of relative position in Oarai's tank fleet. And Miho didn't. I'll grant it - maybe she's thinking the same thing as you.

But, she wasn't picking Isobe (she's not picking Erwin or Caesar either) and she was definitely there. Maybe she's thinking the same thing as me.



Though der Film has been trying to give everything to Alice, they did actually leave out long range shooting. First, look at the scene where Alice in her white Sherman wipes out the opposition ... at close range. Her entire team lacks a single really good shooter, so she's forced to resolve the hill problem using the Karl-Gerat - it is very much a sign of weakness.

Or you can look at how Alice kills people - Chi-Ha tanks, all close range ... OK, I'll accept an apologist explanation here.

But look at how Rabbit Team got shanked. They were shanked, and almost immediately Alice appears ... we can easily tell she was something like 20m behind them. Note also that 1) she did not try to match their shots and take out that CV33 which is a significant threat to her because it can keep her observed (not that it mattered; they chose to go off coaster) and 2) both Chaffees died. Given the lay out of the land there, Alice didn't just pop up 20m behind the M3, so ask yourself what was Alice doing while Rabbit Team was killing her Chaffees. She was probably a little far out, behind them and trying to get into position. If she had high hit rate at the longer range, she would have killed Rabbit Team before both her Chaffees are dead.

Hetzer, Chi-Nu ... again, right after the Chi-Nu dies we see Alice again. The pool scene - that pool wasn't very big. The whole area of the final battle area is also very small. May I draw conclusions?

Granted, Alice's tank is a step up in a world where people miss at 50m. However, that's not the same as good, or enough to invalidate the ways of that world.
I'm could argue the other way around is more legitimate, but that's my opinion, so let's leave it at that.

As for Alice. Whether she can shoot at long range or not is still up in the air, since there's no definite example to substantiate the positive or a negative.

The examples you've given can be explained as nothing more as cinematic decisions made by the director in order to make it clear who is the one firing and destroying the tanks. Giving focus that Alice's a beast. (The Rabbit team needs to save Anzio so some considerations should be given)

So nope.

The point being is whether or not she can do so, that fact remain she had a longer range gun than Chihatan. There is a good opportunity to take her out if they can get closer. It's a gamble, an all or nothing gamble, I think it's worth trying. Unfortunately it didn't go well. After all the Chi-tanks are destroyed, yes the duck team can make a run for it, but I think they already know they can't get far and decided to go out fighting.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitas Free Zone View Post
Images
DO IT... DO IT NOW.
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Mr. and miss Oddball?!
inisipis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-03, 14:08   Link #9566
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Albany
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera
reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Duck Team already has their quota for Guts. And to be fair, anyone operating a Type 89 like they do against any of the opponents they have had, has to have guts.

They seriously need a better tank. Either faster so they can do more or less what they've been doing, or just a bit heavier with a reasonable gun so they can at least hurt some of the things they hit, because they do hit often enough, just their gun is useless except against Anzio's tankettes, and maybe (maybe) other Japanese tanks.
Especially considering the Panzer 38(t) got the Hetzer upgrade, so you'd think they might be lucky enough to just find another tank lying around somewhere, lol.



Quote:
Originally Posted by inisipis View Post
I think one of the charms of the show is that they are using vintage machines of a bygone age. The more closer the technology of the tank to the present time the more it looses it's appeal and novelty.

I for one would like to see the different tank cultures from the different countries (not their ersatz). Probably like some countries prefer race tank driving as opposed to just shooting each other, or maybe they prefer stunts and tricks like monster trucks.
To be fair, the tanks used in the Korean and at least early to mid-Vietnam War were still WWII (style) overall. Heck, the Korean War was mostly WWII tanks anyway with the likes of the T-34/85, IS-2, M24 Chaffee, M4A3E8 Sherman, M26 Pershing, Cromwell, Churchiill, and such. Even the M46, 47, and 48 Patton (which also saw use in Vietnam) are all really just further perfections of the M26 Pershing in the long run, so I think at least up to mid-Vietnam (like the early to mid-60s) could be workable without being too modern (late Vietnam, like the 70s and beyond is when the real modern stuff start coming out).
__________________
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
"Come on! I don't feel like losing!" - Johnny Ridden, The Crimson Lightning
"Hatred is the root of all war! That's common sense, boy!" - Anavel Gato, The Nightmare of Solomon
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-04, 00:43   Link #9567
Xeiros
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
In many sports manga/anime the characters are obsessed with the sport in question. They want to get stronger. They want to be the best. They want to win the championship. The sport is their lives. Emotions often run high. You'll usually get several sequences of extreme emotional outbursts that include but are not limited to inter-member conflicts/rivalries and general competitive drama such as a character we've yet to meet quitting because they kept missing shots or their spikes kept getting blocked subsequently followed by post game tears, yelling, tense atmospheres, and well you get the idea.

In many sports series, the characters don't have a life or hobby of any kind outside of the sport itself. They often started playing because they were inspirited by a prior team or player. The stakes are no higher than any normal sports competition yet you'd think by the way they act when things go poorly, that some extreme punishment awaited them if they didn't win the championship/they lose a game.

Girls und Panzer despite also being a sport anime does not follow these conventions. No team is shown to be negatively obsessed with Senshado outside of it's merit as a competitive sport. There is no serious fighting within tank crews, no conflict within team's themselves or any team rivalries that aren't just for healthy competition. At worst you'll have character's like Erika from Black Forest and even her initial antogonistic behavior is understandable. Until a ways into the Pravda match, the girls played because they enjoyed the sport, and operating tanks with their good friends, not because they were obsessed with being the champs.

Every team in Oorai has some sort of hobby or interest outside of participating in Senshado. Whether it's online games, mechanics, world history, or aiming for popularity. Even when they learned their school would be closed if they didn't win and the mood appropriately fell, it never got anywhere near what most sports series do. The girls after a bit of morale boosting continue to behave just as they always have. The sport remains fun because outside of perhaps the Nishizumi sisters for understandable reasons, it is not the only thing in these girls lives.

So even when they're faced with another closing of their school ship against the toughest team we've seen yet when the mood of the battle could be emotionally tense, crushing, and dramatic, it doesn't take that tonal route. Instead we get a fun entertaining battles the represents all the things Girls und Panzer shines at. The series, specials, ovas, and movies take the competition seriously enough in context, but it never once loses that fun factor all the colorful characters bring to the table and I appreciate that so much.
__________________
Xeiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-04, 01:15   Link #9568
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Albany
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera
reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeiros View Post
In many sports manga/anime the characters are obsessed with the sport in question. They want to get stronger. They want to be the best. They want to win the championship. The sport is their lives. Emotions often run high. You'll usually get several sequences of extreme emotional outbursts that include but are not limited to inter-member conflicts/rivalries and general competitive drama such as a character we've yet to meet quitting because they kept missing shots or their spikes kept getting blocked subsequently followed by post game tears, yelling, tense atmospheres, and well you get the idea.

In many sports series, the characters don't have a life or hobby of any kind outside of the sport itself. They often started playing because they were inspirited by a prior team or player. The stakes are no higher than any normal sports competition yet you'd think by the way they act when things go poorly, that some extreme punishment awaited them if they didn't win the championship/they lose a game.

Girls und Panzer despite also being a sport anime does not follow these conventions. No team is shown to be negatively obsessed with Senshado outside of it's merit as a competitive sport. There is no serious fighting within tank crews, no conflict within team's themselves or any team rivalries that aren't just for healthy competition. At worst you'll have character's like Erika from Black Forest and even her initial antogonistic behavior is understandable. Until a ways into the Pravda match, the girls played because they enjoyed the sport, and operating tanks with their good friends, not because they were obsessed with being the champs.

Every team in Oorai has some sort of hobby or interest outside of participating in Senshado. Whether it's online games, mechanics, world history, or aiming for popularity. Even when they learned their school would be closed if they didn't win and the mood appropriately fell, it never got anywhere near what most sports series do. The girls after a bit of morale boosting continue to behave just as they always have. The sport remains fun because outside of perhaps the Nishizumi sisters for understandable reasons, it is not the only thing in these girls lives.

So even when they're faced with another closing of their school ship against the toughest team we've seen yet when the mood of the battle could be emotionally tense, crushing, and dramatic, it doesn't take that tonal route. Instead we get a fun entertaining battles the represents all the things Girls und Panzer shines at. The series, specials, ovas, and movies take the competition seriously enough in context, but it never once loses that fun factor all the colorful characters bring to the table and I appreciate that so much.
Yeah, with a lot of other sports things, one loss is practically the end of the world and usually requiring some sort of practically world-changing epiphany to get the person(s) out of their funk. Here, it's disappointing, but more of an "oh well, we'll do better next time" for either team that loses. The girls were far more upset at the general idea of the school being closed, and not because of them not being able to do Senshado there anymore, but much more simply because of them being separated because of its closing. Of course, Senshado is special to them because it brought them all together the way it did and so it will always hold a place in their heart, but it's not like it's the absolute only thing keeping them connected either.

Even with the first episode of the series we had Saori and Hana befriending Miho immediately completely normally before they were involved with anything Senshado-related (in terms of Ooarai for Miho).


Oh yeah, another great thing about the movie - hearing Assam speak! lol
__________________
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
"Come on! I don't feel like losing!" - Johnny Ridden, The Crimson Lightning
"Hatred is the root of all war! That's common sense, boy!" - Anavel Gato, The Nightmare of Solomon
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-04, 03:02   Link #9569
arkhangelsk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by inisipis View Post
As for Alice. Whether she can shoot at long range or not is still up in the air, since there's no definite example to substantiate the positive or a negative.
If you block from your mind pretty much every scene where Alice actually shoots in the show, of course there is no "definite example" to substantiate a positive or negative

Spoiler for Space Compressor:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeiros View Post
In many sports series, the characters don't have a life or hobby of any kind outside of the sport itself. They often started playing because they were inspirited by a prior team or player. The stakes are no higher than any normal sports competition yet you'd think by the way they act when things go poorly, that some extreme punishment awaited them if they didn't win the championship/they lose a game.
To an extent, in my limited experience I notice that shows female sports teams tend to be more in this direction but I definitely have to agree that Oarai girls never lose their original direction.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-04, 07:30   Link #9570
inisipis
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mandaluyong, Philippines
^^ again you're making broad conclusion to such matters. I've made my say that is all to it.
inisipis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-06, 17:33   Link #9571
Brother Coa
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Holy Terra
Another quote from movie thread but in comparison to the series as a whole:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
And so the movie's gross passes 2.2 billion:
To put it in the perspective:

2.200.000.000 ( billion has 9 zero's btw ) in Japanese Yens are equal to 20.454.566 US dollars.

20 million dollars profit from a single anime movie? ( to put it into perspective, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica anime has earned total of 243.6 million Yens, or 2.265.394 USD so far. And records shows that it is the anime seris that earned the most money ).

To not make season 2 after this profits would be downright insult to the fanbase.
Brother Coa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-06, 20:57   Link #9572
Ithekro
The Comet has Come
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 41
Damn. That's a lot of yen. Who knew that school girls and tanks with the tanks as the fan service would do so well?

Kind of wish a friend of mine was still alive. He liked both those things, with a special love for German tanks. I am certain he'd have loved this show.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-07, 06:51   Link #9573
jasper222
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Coa View Post
Another quote from movie thread but in comparison to the series as a whole:



To put it in the perspective:

2.200.000.000 ( billion has 9 zero's btw ) in Japanese Yens are equal to 20.454.566 US dollars.

20 million dollars profit from a single anime movie? ( to put it into perspective, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica anime has earned total of 243.6 million Yens, or 2.265.394 USD so far. And records shows that it is the anime seris that earned the most money ).

To not make season 2 after this profits would be downright insult to the fanbase.
That's just off direct BD sales right?
jasper222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-07, 07:54   Link #9574
Xeiros
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
I just don't see how there can any sort of direct furthering of the story without being highly redundant. There's a reason the vast majority of sports manga/anime stop once the team wins the championship. There needs to be a worthwhile continuation to both character and story arcs established in the first season and movie. They need to be worth telling. Otherwise you'll wind up with a half-assed cash grab that's only a shell of what made what we've already gotten so charming.

They've already resolved the character arcs. They've already fought for and saved the school twice. Should they go from that now to playing just to "be the best" or "be scouted for and eventually win the world tournament" in traditional sports manga/anime fashion in a much lower stakes scenario wherein the worst that happens when they lose is feelings of disappointment and having to try again the following year?

Some express the possibility of a different schools perspective for the coming school term's championship. To me that would be a waste of all that's been established and developed up to this point. It would also again be redundant. There's always going to be more of the sport in universe. There's always the next year. The question becomes is it worth experiencing? Do they have a worthwhile tale to tell?

Taking the World Tournament approach, that's in two years time and follows elimination rules. Disregarding redundancy for now, I have no clue how one could write convicting victories for Oorai without destroying the whole shtick of small highly inexperienced rag tag team of novices crewing tanks of questionable merit beat the far more experienced teams that possess both superior numbers and better tanks. The main reason Oorai is able to win in the first season despite the odds heavily stacked against them is in large part thanks to the Flag Tank rules and save for Anzio they still only barely win at that.

Since all the stakes at that point would be what I already mentioned, in order for any sort of victory to feel earned/cathartic they can't write the opposing team as being incompetent or inferior to the protagonist team. I don't see see how Oorai could believably have won any one of its matches except for Anzio and the University the latter of which being an obvious exception had they been played under elimination rules either and this World Tournament would arguably have teams many times stronger in all respects.

The kind of team that could convincingly win the World Tournament is nothing at all what we know Oorai from the series to be. Should they even the playing field by introducing a good number of new tanks and crews that only opens up the additional challenge of balancing an over bloated cast of characters. There's a reason why every other school in the series including the Shimada style team is represented by three or four what you could maybe argue are actual characters.

Don't even get me started on how you'd write each of the actual tank battles and avoid any of the aforementioned issues. Avoid redundancy, write believable victory scenarios that feel properly earned, balance, continue to flesh out and develop an every growing large cast of characters, etc. I would love to see more, but man I really hope they don't continue it unless they've got a damn good story that doesn't throw away what's been established up to this point. That again doesn't feel like a product first and a worthwhile piece of creative expression that uses what's already there as a springboard to leap to new and thrilling heights never.
__________________

Last edited by Xeiros; 2016-06-07 at 19:12.
Xeiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-07, 09:20   Link #9575
arkhangelsk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeiros View Post
I just don't see how there can any sort of direct furthering of the story without being highly redundant. There's a reason the vast majority of sports manga/anime stop once the team wins the championship. There needs to be a worthwhile continuation to both character and story arcs established in the first season and movie. They need to be worth telling. Otherwise you'll wind up with a half-assed cash grab that's only a shell of what made what we've already gotten so charming.
Your concerns are valid, and in fact, as a critic of der Film, I must say it is already showing the symptoms you mention. Already, der Film is about force opening a professionally-done seal and trying to close things afterwards when done. Frankly, the new closure is less enjoyable, much hastier and less clean.

Quote:
They've already fought for and saved the school twice.
Ironically, the first time, the whole save the school plot was actually pretty peripheral. If you play all episodes in sequence and leave for a toilet break at the appropriate time, it'd almost be like it was never there at all. This time, however, they placed it at the centerpiece, impossible to get out of your mind.

And yes, they've burned a lot of intervening steps in the "stakes" area when they chose this plot. There is, IMO, a clear change in tone as to whether we'll likely get a season 2 pre and post the airing of der Film. I think the staff were really writing der Film on the presumption it would be The End but frankly with it being this popular some kind of season 2 is an inevitability.

Since there is no way to compete in stakes (they've already had the most important contest of their lives), Season 2 would probably work better if they don't try to compete in that axis and rather concentrate more on characterization, of which there is still plenty of room to develop.

Quote:
Some express the possibility of a different schools perspective for the coming school term's championship.
I definitely agree they should continue with the established characters.

Quote:
The main reason Oorai is able to win in the first season despite the odds heavily stacked against them is in large part thanks to the Flag Tank rules and save for Anzio they still only barely win at that.
I think that there is more potential in this area, but I think it'll require a mindset change on the part of the writers. In essence, this time they went for making the UST a kind of super-KMM with a bigger cannon than ever, but still a KMM subtype whose main threat portion is due to its equipment, not the characters. I think they need to make more fights of the "Anzio-type" - it's frankly my favorite fight because it really emphasizes both sides putting their human best to it. It didn't feel like they lobotomized anyone just to push the fight forward, either.

IMO, the best way forward here is to upgrade Oarai's equipment but keep it about the same size. If they actually had 8 good tanks and the enemy got 30 decent but not uber tanks, it should be possible to have a fight that doesn't look too stupid - have them move in platoons and all of a sudden the real number of maneuvering units becomes kind of similar.

If they keep making more super-KMMs, it'd definitely get tired pretty quick. Reading their interviews, the writers themselves realize that UST looks way too much like KMM but they apparently can't think of a better basic concept so they went with it and tried to adjust small details so it isn't exactly the same. And, supposedly they are thinking of what new less-than-legal tanks to put in next time - this really worries me because if they go through with this we'll be having more of the same.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-07, 12:27   Link #9576
Ithekro
The Comet has Come
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 41
Maybe come up with a third "save the school ship" plotline, but this time it isn't about the ministry closing the school. It is about why the ministry was going to close the school. Perhaps the ship is old and in dire need of a major refit in order to continue to operate, and the ministry felt it cheaper to close the school (and perhaps scrap her) that to refit the ship. However they still don't have the money to refit the ship and she will start to gradually fall apart. It will be more obvious in two years time that the ship needs serious care that is above and beyond the realm of her student body to fix.

The prize money or status from the World Tournament is enough to pay for the ship's refit. However the ship may still need to be abandoned for a few years regardless making it only a partial victory, as the school will still close and everyone will need to move. Miho will know the school has a future and the refit will start after all her school friends have graduated.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-07, 13:42   Link #9577
arkhangelsk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Maybe come up with a third "save the school ship" plotline, but this time it isn't about the ministry closing the school. It is about why the ministry was going to close the school. Perhaps the ship is old and in dire need of a major refit in order to continue to operate, and the ministry felt it cheaper to close the school (and perhaps scrap her) that to refit the ship. However they still don't have the money to refit the ship and she will start to gradually fall apart. It will be more obvious in two years time that the ship needs serious care that is above and beyond the realm of her student body to fix.
Frankly, that's the kind of basic plotline that should have been run this film. They have actually mentioned in Gekkan that the ship is getting old and that's certainly a factor, but thematically, they've gone pretty firmly with the idea that scraping the ship is the incorrect decision (at least in the near run) so it's not easy to reverse in a future story.

From a realistic standpoint, if this reason is adequate within the next few years, MEXT would never have had to deal at all.

Quote:
The prize money or status from the World Tournament is enough to pay for the ship's refit. However the ship may still need to be abandoned for a few years regardless making it only a partial victory, as the school will still close and everyone will need to move. Miho will know the school has a future and the refit will start after all her school friends have graduated.
Wouldn't this be a true Downer ending? The school is about the people that live on it more than the hull of the ship. If the school has to be closed "for a few years", it may get reactivated but it'll only be by name since everyone will have dispersed into new lives. It won't be the same school and it may as well have been disbanded.

If this is the scenario, I suggest the goal should actually be to transplant the people on the ship, as a group, to a spanking new ship. The Oarai vessel may have reached the end of its useful life, but Oarai Girls Academy, as a community still lives on.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-07, 14:13   Link #9578
Ithekro
The Comet has Come
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 41
I would assume the school would occupy a land based facility until the ship is back up and running.

Though where could they have a drydock large enough to do hull work on something like that?
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-07, 19:13   Link #9579
Xeiros
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Oh and then there's the issue of the series having already used the whole multicultural approach with the various foreign influenced Japanese school ships. How will they characterize the actual American, British, Italian, Russian etc world tournament teams and differentiate them from Saunders, St. Gloriana, Anzio, Pravda etc respectively without either being redundant or giving them no discernible identity at all? In a silly sort of way, we've already gotten the WT with the first season or at least a simplified version of what it might be like. We've already seen teams based on different nationalities with their respective real world tanks both going head to head and in the movie joining forces against a common foe.

The more you think about how they could possibly continue the series in a worthwhile manner, the more you realize how challenging it must have been just to get this far.
__________________

Last edited by Xeiros; 2016-06-07 at 19:23.
Xeiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-07, 21:00   Link #9580
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeiros View Post
How will they characterize the actual American, British, Italian, Russian etc world tournament teams and differentiate them from Saunders, St. Gloriana, Anzio, Pravda etc respectively without either being redundant or giving them no discernible identity at all?
Have the actual foreign school students speaking and talking in their own language most of the times? I know itís challenging, but itís not impossible. They already kinda tried that with Clara.

Btw, for those who know Russian, how was Clara & Nonnaís Russian-speaking in the movie? Is it good? Does it sound natural?

As for the tanks, did the show already used all the notable types from their respective countries? No more room for something new?
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, gup, military, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.