AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-02-28, 14:31   Link #201
Seihai
スマイリウム

Well, I believe it shouldn't matter a lot that Homura isn't actually that strong when she makes it up for being skilled. And you can do a lot with time manipulation as well even without superhuman strength or great skill.

Let's see, if this was an RPG, we'd have 4 job classes so far:
Ranger (Mami)
Warrior (Kyouko)
Heal Tank (Sayaka)
Thief (Homura)

Ranger: is not good at close-range combat (episode 3, anyone?) but is specifically skilled with guns. As a special move, you receive Tiro Finale. Additionally, to not be totally disadvantaged against closed combat, you can stagger the opponent with magical binds.

Warrior: superhuman strength and good EVA/AGI boost when engaging in closed range. Long range is no option, but you receive an additional ability called "Telescope". As a special move, you receive Schlangenform.

Heal Tank: limited long range by throwing blades, average close range. No special, but you receive great aiding magic and additional HP.

Thief: great AGI and EVA, the most diversive in terms of skills and arsenal. However, below average STR and low DEF. To make up your below average disadvantages, you receive time freeze Level 1. Instant action. Cooldown: 2~5 seconds depending on your TP. During cast, you stop time. Note: By attacking multiple times during this (shoot Kyubei, anyone?), you may stack on combo values and make up for the low STR!

I had fun writing this. Oh yeah, this post's purpose: to show you they shouldn't be differentiated by how good each MG is. Unless you add char level to it. Since Homura had the most experienced, she's like level 47 compared to Sayaka's level 12 or so. Just an example.
Old 2011-02-28, 14:36   Link #202
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
Let's see, if this was an RPG, we'd have 4 job classes so far:
Ranger (Mami)

Ranger: is not good at close-range combat (episode 3, anyone?) but is specifically skilled with guns. As a special move, you receive Tiro Finale. Additionally, to not be totally disadvantaged against closed combat, you can stagger the opponent with magical binds.
To keep in the same spirit of fun, watch ep 3 again, and you'll see Mami whacking away smaller creatures with her guns while shooting others, in a skilled combat dance. So, not exactly weak at close range.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-28, 14:46   Link #203
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Well, I believe it shouldn't matter a lot that Homura isn't actually that strong when she makes it up for being skilled. And you can do a lot with time manipulation as well even without superhuman strength or great skill.
If it was true. But Mami said in episode 2 she could feel Homura was strong. The manga is even more specific and has Mami specifically saying she can feel Homura's magical power is very strong.

You know what I think? If this magazine article is real, then the stuff is trolling us to create expectation.

I'm calling it now. Homura is saving her power for the last battle, and we'll the full extent of it, along with her bow, when the real shit hits the fan.
Old 2011-02-28, 14:49   Link #204
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
To keep in the same spirit of fun, watch ep 3 again, and you'll see Mami whacking away smaller creatures with her guns while shooting others, in a skilled combat dance. So, not exactly weak at close range.
Fair point. Replace "close range" with "melee" then, as the mobs didn't even get close enough to show us what Mami can do when the enemies are already too close. You can't point a 1.5m gun to something that is like 0.7m close to you. Since this just isn't an RPG, I can't add the mechanic of "too close, must switch to melee" fully anyway though. And well, mobs are mostly just dumb idiots with a set pattern (AI). Maybe you should put Mami vs. Kyouko then to see the disadvantages and advantages of both to their extremest. Heck, I wouldn't mind a PSP game for this if the comboing is as fun as Fate/Unlimited Code's combos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
If it was true. But Mami said in episode 2 she could feel Homura was strong. The manga is even more specific and has Mami specifically saying she can feel Homura's magical power is very strong.
Yep. I actually pointed it out myself earlier in this post: http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=794 (3.1) I'm also skeptical about the magazine, heh. But like I said, I think it wouldn't matter a lot either way. I'd consider the magic capabality the char level then.
Old 2011-03-01, 01:55   Link #205
venk
Agent of Chaos

Quote:

Thief (Homura)

Thief: great AGI and EVA, the most diversive in terms of skills and arsenal. However, below average STR and low DEF. To make up your below average disadvantages, you receive time freeze Level 1. Instant action. Cooldown: 2~5 seconds depending on your TP. During cast, you stop time. Note: By attacking multiple times during this (shoot Kyubei, anyone?), you may stack on combo values and make up for the low STR!

I had fun writing this. Oh yeah, this post's purpose: to show you they shouldn't be differentiated by how good each MG is. Unless you add char level to it. Since Homura had the most experienced, she's like level 47 compared to Sayaka's level 12 or so. Just an example.
Spoiler for homu:

venk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-02, 05:02   Link #206
night_sentinel

A panty thief Homura lol ... thx for the fan-art.

Nice RPG stats guys... hmm just for the lulz lets convert that to the Servant system of Type-moon.

Kyoko
Servant: Lancer

Well, this is easy for the user of the a lance well, segmented spear but, you get the point. They're the servant who mostly fight practically, witness Kyoko scouting their opponents, and have a weird sort of comradeship with their opponents.

Storywise, they are also one of the few servant who are mission oriented and blessedly transparent in their motives.

Sayaka
Servant: Berserker

Well, I debated whether Sayaka should be Saber, but Sayaka's fighting style is more on the Berserker type especially her last one. She doesn't care about the damage inflicted on her and is single minded on her goal.

Storywise, Berserker tend to be characters that have a conflict within themselves that drives them mad.

Mami
Servant: Caster

Now, Mami is servant caster instead of Archer because she fits more in the Archer archetype. She has binds to keep her opponent at a distance and has AOE skill. Just change her gun to a staff and she fits the perfect Caster archetype.

Homura
Servant: Archer

I don't think I really need to justify this. Homura has a bow supposedly. But, the reason why she is Archer is because Archers tend to have low stats like Homura supposedly have but have an overpowered skill and you must admit time manipulation no matter how limited is hax.

Storywise, Homura is an irregular just like the Archer of the visual novel.

Hmmm... since I have really nothing to do... I would like to posit that the magical girl weapons are an indication of their personality.

Mellie vs Ranged

I think this shows how an individual tackles their problem. Sayaka and Kyoko prefers the direct approach and are usually blunt and hot headed. When given a road from point a to point b, I bet that they will take the straight line. They are usually transparent in their intentions.

Contrast, this to Mami and Homura who seems to employ some sort of subterfuge in their dealings. They do not react to baits and sometimes baits their opponents in turn. Just watch Mami's interaction with Homura . At the very least they have an ulterior motive than what they are expressing.

I think another difference is ranged type focus on the future while the Mellie type focus on the present. Ranged types have a cautious and analytical fighting style while Mellie types have the overwhelming force and have a lot of reserve fighting style.

Beside this, their weapon itself seems to have a lot to say about their personality:

Sword
- the common weapon for a hero.
- Symbolizing "justice" and idealism for Sayaka.

Spear
- a more pragmatic weapon than a sword and easier to use, The most common weapon in real life medieval warfare.
- perhaps symbolizing the jaded idealism of Kyoko.

Gun
- a modern weapon and used by the police and well soldiers.
- perhaps symbolyzing Mami's resignation or treatment of MG as a job that she needs to do in exchange for living?

Bow
- supposedly for Homura and Madoka
- the first thing I think of Bows are elves just kidding!

Perhaps this shows Homura's personal philosophy of forsaking everything in return for a single wish. When you shoot, you put all your hopes and dreams in a single arrow and hope it reaches the bulls eye or happy ending. And when it somehow missed the target you learn from that and adjust the angle and the force you put and try again and again and again until you get it right.

Sigh ... reads again what I've posted ... perhaps I'll take a bit of break... I'm not making sense right now... lol... .. this seems mostly cracked...

Though, I do wonder what's the connection between Madoka and Homura's primary weapon which is the nonexistent bow... it would be nice if the weapon has some sort of connection with personality or ideals since it would mean Homura's ideal is somehow similar to future Madoka's
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 10:52   Link #207
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

i wonder what's gonna happen to mah homuhomu in ep 09? will there be another emotional outburst? will madoka's interaction with her change after seeing her breakdown? more info about her? etc. etc...
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 16:42   Link #208
Sekishi

Wink Madoka elves

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
Bow
- supposedly for Homura and Madoka
- the first thing I think of Bows are elves ...
well, there are a lot of Madoka fanvids / Parodies
yet a Madoka - Lord of the Rings crossover is missing but might be awesome.
Any volunteer out there to try?
Sekishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 22:24   Link #209
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

So, Homura shows a new version of her time stop power. This one used the shield (totally possible the other times she stopped time, it involved the shield, but I'm guessing not), and lasted a heck of a lot longer than a couple seconds.

The plot thickens. What exactly is Homura, and why is she one anomaly in this show when it comes to her soul gem color. What is that bar on her shield, and what is it gauging? The good news is we're probably going to find out most of what we are dying to know very soon.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 22:27   Link #210
Fishbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
So, Homura shows a new version of her time stop power. This one used the shield (totally possible the other times she stopped time, it involved the shield, but I'm guessing not), and lasted a heck of a lot longer than a couple seconds.

The plot thickens. What exactly is Homura, and why is she one anomaly in this show when it comes to her soul gem color. What is that bar on her shield, and what is it gauging? The good news is we're probably going to find out most of what we are dying to know very soon.
It's pretty obvious she always used the shield....why would you think otherwise.

Also you have to remember this is the first time we've seen what happens in the frozen time and the first time she actually needed to stop time that long (aside from the truck scene which was totally dumb)

Anyways we are looking at a potential Flashback episode coming up with the way preview is handled, and it's also possible that Homura took Madoka to her house and the EP10 will pick up right where we left off again, like 8 and 9 did.
Fishbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 22:33   Link #211
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbait View Post
It's pretty obvious she always used the shield....why would you think otherwise.

Also you have to remember this is the first time we've seen what happens in the frozen time and the first time she actually needed to stop time that long (aside from the truck scene which was totally dumb)

Anyways we are looking at a potential Flashback episode coming up with the way preview is handled, and it's also possible that Homura took Madoka to her house and the EP10 will pick up right where we left off again, like 8 and 9 did.
It's obviously different exactly because of the truck scene. Or, you can just assume that was "dumb" and say they're the same.

I suppose this is what we'll have to call a difference in opinion.

Edit: Of course, the obvious answer to meld these opinions is that it is the same power, but it takes far more "juice" to stop time for as long as she did this episode. Enough that she didn't think it worth using to save Sayaka's Soul Gem, but definitely worth using to save Kyoko. Perhaps that is what the gauge on her shield is supposed to represent?
Old 2011-03-04, 13:16   Link #212
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
Enough that she didn't think it worth using to save Sayaka's Soul Gem, but definitely worth using to save Kyoko.
To provide you speculative alternatives:
1) The laws of space and time within witch dimensions differ from the real world, thus Homura was able to keep up her power longer
2) Additionally, or as a standalone point, the moment Kyouko held her hand, also passively gave her more magic power. Soul Gem resonance? Like having some kind of catalysator.
Old 2011-03-04, 15:24   Link #213
Fishbait

Quote:
It's obviously different exactly because of the truck scene. Or, you can just assume that was "dumb" and say they're the same.

I suppose this is what we'll have to call a difference in opinion.

Edit: Of course, the obvious answer to meld these opinions is that it is the same power, but it takes far more "juice" to stop time for as long as she did this episode. Enough that she didn't think it worth using to save Sayaka's Soul Gem, but definitely worth using to save Kyoko. Perhaps that is what the gauge on her shield is supposed to represent?
I think that truck scene was handled entirely different for the sake of looking cool.

Wouldn't be a first for these kind of production.
Fishbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 23:40   Link #214
Sekirei07

Did anyone think that Homura kind of left Kyoko to die?

I mean at the start of the episode we have Homura come save Kyoko + Sayaka's body.

At the end of the episode we have Homura + Kyoko + Madoka unconscious

Why didn't Homura do exactly what she did at the start of the episode? Or hell just kill Sayaka like she said she would do and has done with other Witches. It's not like she was wounded or anything. She just got there. Hell couldn't she have freeze time instant kill Sayaka like she does with everything else?

Homura just didn't seem like Homura in that moment.
Old 2011-03-05, 01:04   Link #215
Hagoshod
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod
Dear animators: Please stop overusing that thing where the camera ominously zooms in on Homura's face out of nowhere or she brushes her hair into the wind every five seconds. That doesn't make her cool. That doesn't help her character look more OOO MYSTERIOUS. They're just really annoying anime cliches, and they make you look like some 12-year-old on Deviantart who just figured out how to make Flash animations. You're trying too hard.

thx.
Hagoshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-05, 01:36   Link #216
sa547
*Author

^
^
Seems they're reinforcing the ojou-sama image of her, right? I've seen tropes like that before.
Old 2011-03-05, 04:17   Link #217
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekirei07 View Post
Did anyone think that Homura kind of left Kyoko to die?

I mean at the start of the episode we have Homura come save Kyoko + Sayaka's body.

At the end of the episode we have Homura + Kyoko + Madoka unconscious

Why didn't Homura do exactly what she did at the start of the episode? Or hell just kill Sayaka like she said she would do and has done with other Witches. It's not like she was wounded or anything. She just got there. Hell couldn't she have freeze time instant kill Sayaka like she does with everything else?

Homura just didn't seem like Homura in that moment.
Oh, I suspect she COULD have saved Kyoko. But, I think she realized Kyoko had had enough and wanted out. There's really no point in saving someone who doesn't want to be "saved", and I put that in quotes as I'm not sure it's saving anyone to keep them in that horrible position of being a magical girl. In a way, Kyoko saved herself by ending things on her terms and ensuring she never ended up a witch.
Old 2011-03-05, 09:44   Link #218
Sekirei07

Yeah, but Kyoko was her best chance to beat the mega Witch thats coming to town. The scenario is what QB wanted because Homura can't win now and this will force Madoka to make her wish.
Old 2011-03-05, 19:38   Link #219
sweet_kungfuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Maybe the Homura in this timeline was never born, maybe she didn't move to this city or maybe any kind of other possibilities when you get into time travel.
U know the black cat in the OP? I think that cat is her o:

so Madoka's wish is probably like this: turn my cat into a human D:< !!! That's how we get Akemi Homura.

yes, it's as silly as it sounds .... and I'm not joking!!
sweet_kungfuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-05, 20:04   Link #220
Hagoshod
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekirei07 View Post
Yeah, but Kyoko was her best chance to beat the mega Witch thats coming to town. The scenario is what QB wanted because Homura can't win now and this will force Madoka to make her wish.
Homura may have figured that dragging Kyoko out with her and forcing her to let Sayaka die alone would have made Kyoko become overcome with despair and turn her into a Witch. If that were the case, nothing good would come out of trying to save Kyoko.

Hey, I'm defending Homura for once. Imagine that.
Hagoshod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters