AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

View Poll Results: Hanasaku Iroha - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 18 23.38%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 17 22.08%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 22.08%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 16.88%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 11.69%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.60%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.30%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-15, 14:03   Link #21
ipodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
What is with viewers nowadays that everything must be dripping with heavyweight drama before a show is considered "respectable"?

A fun episode with plenty of laugh-out-loud moments. Just the kind of pick-me-up I need for another dreary week ahead filled with OMG real-life drama — you know, the kind where I really have to work my diminishing grey cells to portray with deathly gravity and mind-sapping accuracy — instead of getting angsty over how a light-hearted comedy isn't serious enough.
Exactly. +1 from me.
Old 2011-05-15, 14:09   Link #22
VentAileron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
What is with viewers nowadays that everything must be dripping with heavyweight drama before a show is considered "respectable"?
That question is answered by saying that some people expected heavy drama in Hanasaku Iroha after watching episode 1 and started watching it (past episode 1) in the lookout for heavy drama.

Quite understandable, if you ask me. People watch a show with certain expectations and therefore, reasons. The above viewers probably realize now that Hanasaku Iroha isn't a series that relies heavily on drama. They either deal with it, or move on to the next show.
Old 2011-05-15, 14:10   Link #23
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
And did danyone else get the Canaan reference? GET SOME!!!!
Hey,I linked to it in my post above

Wonder if both were inspired by this scene in full metal jacket.
Old 2011-05-15, 14:15   Link #24
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

This reminds me of that one arc in Full metal panic fumoffu
Old 2011-05-15, 14:23   Link #25
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

When I realized this was going to be sidestory comedy, I was disappointed. But they did it very well. Storyboard by Okamura Tensai (director of Wolf's Rain, Darker than Black, and now Ao no Exorcist -- and who did three storyboards for this same studio's CANAAN).

I'm so glad to see Kou on his way.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2011-05-15, 14:24   Link #26
tezu

Survival gamers? Are you serious?

This episode sort of lacked substance, instead it filled the void with whacky comedy. I like comedy, but only if it's well done and fits in well with other aspects of the series. In this case, I dare say the comedy wasn't that funny and made me wonder whether I was watching the right series. I just don't get what's so funny about pathetic survival gamers trying to sneak a peek at bathing girls or Tomoe's attempts to get fired by the manager.

It pained me to watch this episode since it started off so well with Tomoe's thoughts about her future. She is in her thirties and clearly feels the pressure to marry and to start a family. Her friends are all married and her parents keep talking about their unborn grandchildren. It's an issue that has a lot of potential if dealt with correctly. Hanasaku Iroha however once again (ab-)uses an interesting topic as pretext for nonsensical comedy. The very same happened in episode 6 in which the inn's financial crisis lead to fanservice and Ohana's twisted logic concerning risque outfits. It feels like the series is slapping its own face by presenting the potential it has got in the beginning and then quickly ruining all of it.

The conclusion at the end made amends for this episode's mediocre execution, though. Tomoe decided not to give in to her mother but to continue the job she loves. I feel like the series is subconsciously following a pattern: Introduce an interesting premise, continue with a weak plot that does not realize the premise's potential at all, add a little comedy and fanservice, then end it with a somewhat satisfying conclusion. It chooses a good starting point and knows what the outcome should be, but doesn't know how to get there. I really hope they're gonna fix this problem, the preview at least looks very very promising.
Old 2011-05-15, 14:31   Link #27
Midonin
Last Engage

The Springtime for Hitler-esque idea behind Tomoe's story is the sort of thing that brings a smile to my face. Breaking down egos, elevating the lowly, making happy endings, the attempts at failure inevitably turning to success - that's the stuff of comedy. That it was accomplished by a group of nerds and Jiromaru just makes it even better.
Old 2011-05-15, 14:33   Link #28
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

I quite enjoyed this episodes, overall I found Tomoe's attempts to get fired and them having the opposite effect to be amusing, the other comedy moments weren't bad either, and the did show a good bit about Tomoe's character and some development for her, so overall I'd give this episode 8/10, could have been a bit better but still well done I'd say.
MAL
Old 2011-05-15, 15:04   Link #29
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

I'm not sure I can quite put my finger on it. But the combination of character drama and light hearted *realistic* (as in, something that merely requires unlikely actions by people, rather than violations of physics) shenanigans, somehow reminds me of an 80's anime. It's kinda like what with happened in episode 3. I think that as a big reason, this is why so many people might be having trouble getting a grasp on how to define this anime. It doesn't have outrageous violations of the laws of physics, but it doesn't stay a completely *realistic* drama/slice of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
As soon as I saw those legs I knew it was gonna be Jirou in the bath. That scene was pure comedy. Yeah I liked this episode too despite my concerns about an overall plot. And did danyone else get the Canaan reference? GET SOME!!!!
...you haven't watched full metal jacket. Have you.

Old 2011-05-15, 15:04   Link #30
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post

I'm so glad to see Kou on his way.
Unless of course he's coming down to say he's dating another girl. Arriving unannounced is bad form especially to see someone who is working and going to school.

I still fail to see how a guy who is living in another city can bring drama to any budding relationship. He is so not in the picture.
Old 2011-05-15, 15:07   Link #31
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I still fail to see how a guy who is living in another city can bring drama to any budding relationship. He is so not in the picture.
Unless he says he's moving to town.
Old 2011-05-15, 15:11   Link #32
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Unless he says he's moving to town.
That would be such a stretch of unimaginable proportions.

Unannounced visits are bad form. It's not like she should drop everything that she has to do because he decided to show up on that day. If this is what's happening, Ko needs a reality check.
Old 2011-05-15, 15:20   Link #33
.x.crii.x.
To the beat//

I am going to be EXTREMELY objective here:

The way I see it now, there is only THREE WAYS the KoxOhana ship could work:

1. Ko moves to the town Ohana is in.
2. Ohana goes back to the City where Ko is.
3. Ohana realizes she has also been in love with Ko for many, many years.

Now.

#1: I very much doubt Ko would just suddenly move to a new town. Take into account his parents opinions, ongoing school term, place to stay.

I very much doubt his parents would say: "Oh sure son, go ahead. You can go anywhere you like chasing the girl you like. We completely understand."

Besides, HanaIro is supposed to be "slice-of-life". Following the girl you love around at the age of 16 screams "anime-cliché" to me NOT "slice-of-life".

#2: The way things are going right now, I very much doubt Ohana will be going back to the city anytime soon. After all, HanaIro completely revolves around HER LIFE IN KISSUISO.

#3: If she had actually been in love with Ko, she would have realized it by now. What with his confession and suddenly being taken away from him.

Anyway, that's just from my objective POV. Things can change so I´m not betting my money on anything. We could get a huge surprise down the road. Heck, maybe she'll turn yuri with Nako or hook up with Jiroumaru because he was the first to notice that she "wanted to sparkle".
Old 2011-05-15, 15:58   Link #34
Tu101uk
~ Episode of Side A ~

My goodness, I've actually found a character I like in HanaIro (save for the heron XD)... ^.^ Much love for Tomoe, she was so boss handling them survival game guys. First time I've actually cared about a character in this series. If you're gonna do light-hearted character development episodes, then do 'em like this rather than episode 3, methinks... :S

HanaIro continues to be a bit of an oddity for me (as other people have already mentioned, it zigzags from serious to funny in strange ways, and often not turning out as well as it could be), but this episode, funnily enough, will keep me watching a few episodes more now, methinks... ^_^;;;

Speaking of serious, look who's coming to town next episode... :x And looks like things are going to go down... :x Calm before the storm, indeed...

O-O~

~ Current Season Favourites... :: Ano Natsu de Matteru / Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai! / Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou ~

Last edited by Tu101uk; 2011-05-15 at 16:16.
Old 2011-05-15, 16:26   Link #35
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

oh, Jiromaru. You are the most epic buttmonkey of the year. And yes, I did catch that bit of ship teasing between him and Tomoe, though I doubt it'll go anywhere.

Odd that in an episode with a hostile military takeover of the inn, jailbait-peeping, and Jiromaru fan...service(?) the most shocking thing was Minchi's adorable sparkle-vision. Seeing her smile is like catching Ghandi eating veal. It just leaves you shaken and confused.

Series needs more Tomoe slasher faces. She has a fantastic evil side.

Also, Nako is stupidly hot. I know that has nothing to do with the episode, but I don't want to break my streak of pointing that out in every HanaIro thread I participate in.
Old 2011-05-15, 16:35   Link #36
Sugarless Ocean
Ms. Procrastinator

Quote:
#1: I very much doubt Ko would just suddenly move to a new town. Take into account his parents opinions, ongoing school term, place to stay.
Well, Ko-chan could've just ran away without his parents' consent. Or he could be just visiting on a school free day? He was looking at those tourist books after all, maybe he took a vacation.

As for a place to stay... Maybe he plans on staying at Kissuisou? Haha, that would be fun.
Old 2011-05-15, 16:46   Link #37
.x.crii.x.
To the beat//

^ No, no. As I was talking as in staying permanently, not just visiting.
Old 2011-05-15, 16:52   Link #38
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by .x.crii.x. View Post
#3: If she had actually been in love with Ko, she would have realized it by now. What with his confession and suddenly being taken away from him.

Anyway, that's just from my objective POV. Things can change so I´m not betting my money on anything. We could get a huge surprise down the road. Heck, maybe she'll turn yuri with Nako or hook up with Jiroumaru because he was the first to notice that she "wanted to sparkle".
I don't see why Ohana can't grow to love Ko. Through her experience at Kissuiso, she can reflect and reevaluate her relationship with Ko as well as her relationship with her mother.

Ohana definitely dislikes her mother, but I don't see why she can't take another look at the past and learn to appreciate her more. Ko is the same way. While Ohana is unsure of what she thinks of Ko, she can always learn to like him more later.

At the very least, Ko is going to get a reaction from Ohana.
Old 2011-05-15, 16:53   Link #39
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
I am going to be EXTREMELY objective here:

The way I see it now, there is only THREE WAYS the KoxOhana ship could work:

1. Ko moves to the town Ohana is in.
2. Ohana goes back to the City where Ko is.
3. Ohana realizes she has also been in love with Ko for many, many years.

Now.

I very much doubt his parents would say: "Oh sure son, go ahead. You can go anywhere you like chasing the girl you like. We completely understand."

Besides, HanaIro is supposed to be "slice-of-life". Following the girl you love around at the age of 16 screams "anime-cliché" to me NOT "slice-of-life".

#2: The way things are going right now, I very much doubt Ohana will be going back to the city anytime soon. After all, HanaIro completely revolves around HER LIFE IN KISSUISO.

Objectively and subjectively, I can't see them become a couple either, at least not until the very end of the anime. Ohana isn't anywhere near ready for a relationship. My guess is that she'll either friendzone him properly next week, or ask him to give her more time to reflect on her own feelings(she's already had plenty of time though). I'm leaning towards the former, kukuku.
Old 2011-05-15, 17:01   Link #40
Sugarless Ocean
Ms. Procrastinator

Quote:
^ No, no. As I was talking as in staying permanently, not just visiting.
Well, he still could have ran away and then he could stay at Kissuisou. Dun dun dun!! Super delicious drama.

Last edited by Sugarless Ocean; 2011-05-15 at 17:16. Reason: dramaaaa
Closed Thread