Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-08-20, 23:50   Link #521
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Also, for those who keep saying that anime-Rin is implausibly mature for her age, take a look at this clip of child-actress Ashida Mana, who plays the live-action Rin. Mana-chan was just six years old at the time of the interview, but watch how she behaves and, more importantly, how she learns to act. Quite precocious, is she not?
That kid's amazing. Only 6 years old and she can naturally plug a movie she's voice acting for. She was incredibly well-spoken throughout the whole segment until the cucumber farm brought out that side we might normally associate with kids her age. I can't help but wonder what her parents are like.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-22, 22:13   Link #522
Theowne
耳をすませば

I have to say I was reminded quite a bit of some of Honey and Clover's poignant monologues during the scene where Haruko chats with Daikichi about her problems. Particularly when she was wishing she could be a child again - which seems more or less like an expression of immense regret for the decisions she's made as an adult and the knowledge that changing them won't be easy (particularly with a child)...hence, the escapist desire to go back to a time before you had to consider such things. Quite moving.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 00:56   Link #523
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Incidentally, the road shows for the live-action film version of Usagi Drop opened today (Aug 20). Anyone monitoring the Japanese forums to see what people are saying about the movie?

Incredibly, Yukari, Kouki's mother, is even more of a milf in the movie.

Also, for those who keep saying that anime-Rin is implausibly mature for her age, take a look at this clip of child-actress Ashida Mana, who plays the live-action Rin. Mana-chan was just six years old at the time of the interview, but watch how she behaves and, more importantly, how she learns to act. Quite precocious, is she not?

O... my... gods... she's so CUTE!! (dies)

Hmmm, the trailer has me quite interested in the live action portrayal. I've only seen live-action conversions of comedy (e.g. Love-complex), this looks like they're taking the material more seriously.
Old 2011-08-23, 12:50   Link #524
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

The Economist magazine has just published a comprehensive study on Asian demographics that highlights several points that had also surfaced in Usagi Drop. The main points are familiar, but it's the figures that offer food for thought:

Asian demography: The flight from marriage
Spoiler for intimidating wall of text:

Predictably, most of the emphasis is on the pressures that women face. It would have been interesting if the article explored the pressures that Asian men face as well — it's not just personal preferences that keep me single at 36, after all.

========

Quote:
Originally Posted by scineram View Post
What an infuriating episode! The stupidity of the characters in (episode) this was astounding.
SnEptUne has already offered pretty good objections to some of your rants. That aside, though, I'd say that your anger towards Haruko and her unhappy family situation is actually valid, even if it's a bit mean-spirited.

Haruko deserves sympathy, but there are hints that many of her problems are self-inflicted. She describes her in-laws as "enemies", yet there is little to suggest that they have been ill treating her. Recall in Ep2, for example, when her mother-in-law helped to answer the phone while Haruko was busy in the kitchen. Her mother-in-law even helped to turn off the stove, and never once raised her voice against her. She didn't seem at all like an in-law from hell.

The real problem, I suspect, is that Haruko has always been a passive individual who is used to having others take care of her, as suggested by her "crybaby" youth. And she probably went into marriage thinking naively that her husband will baby her for the rest of her life.

When that fantasy failed to materialise, she rapidly crumbled under the pressure of living with a new, unfamiliar family. Instead of being pampered, she now has to play the role of a dutiful wife, and is only now beginning to discover how difficult it actually is.

And having a child further worsened things for her, forcing her to be strong for the sake of her child. It was in this context that she broke down and wished she were a little girl again — she simply hadn't been mentally prepared for how hard married life would be.

So, all told, it's fair to be frustrated with Haruko, especially since she appears to be giving up on her own happiness for Reina's sake. Compare her attitude with that of Gotou-san in Ep3, who said that even if marriage and child-rearing seemed like a sacrifice, she wouldn't want to put it into words, because words have power (kotodama).

By giving voice to her bitterness, Haruko has turned it into a real burden. She now has to learn to carry that weight.

That said, she's at least a little better than Masako, a grown-up "baby" who hasn't quite grasped the gravity of her decision to abandon Rin.

And, now, put all of the above in contrast with all the real issues that Asian women are facing today. Hopefully, you'll get a better idea of why I love the way Usagi Drop is addressing real-life social issues — it shows them for what they are, exploring the impact they have on different women while refusing to sugar-coat or over-dramatise the problems.

Because these problems are unfolding in Asia everyday even as we speak and there are no clear-cut solutions, even now. The adults, in real life as in Usagi Drop, will just have to muddle through as best as they can.

Haruko is not perfect, but at least she's trying her best. And that is what counts in the end.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 15:27   Link #525
User68604
Disabled By Request

the last line of the episode was epic. quite possibly my favorite episode, as it really scales alongside the "slice of life" portion of the series.
User68604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 22:59   Link #526
Chanthien

I have to say it. The title of that video of Ashida Mana is Chinese for "(I) suddenly understood the feelings of lolicon"... She is freaking cute...
Chanthien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-24, 14:57   Link #527
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by recover View Post
the last line of the episode was epic. quite possibly my favorite episode, as it really scales alongside the "slice of life" portion of the series.
Agreed ... I loved the shopping scene! Talk about speaking volumes in so few words!
Old 2011-08-25, 01:52   Link #528
bakAnki
あやせたんの剣

Is there any summary or review for the live action?
I'm curious how they end the story there and if there's any alteration
Old 2011-08-25, 02:46   Link #529
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakAnki View Post
Is there any summary or review for the live action?
I'm curious how they end the story there and if there's any alteration
If there are, they won't be posted in this anime thread. They're classed as future spoilers.
Old 2011-08-25, 12:24   Link #530
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

So Maybe Masako isn't that bad. Nice of her to visit the grave, she even had the bellflowers. Nice of Daikichi to let her at least see Rin. At least we know where Rin gets her hair from. Lol Daikichi thinking about Kouki's mom in a yukata. Rin was so adorable in hers. Really like the birthday cake.
Old 2011-08-25, 12:38   Link #531
EroKing

the end when Kouki says "Daikichi, watch out for cars"
Old 2011-08-25, 12:42   Link #532
Sol Falling

lol, dang dude. If you're that smitten by the thought of Mrs. Kouki in a kimono then make a move already. My respect for a man of inaction won't hold for long. However, Daikichi's interactions with Kouki together with Rin do remain one of this show's most enjoyable elements. The post-credits segment was very fun.

As to the main episode itself, I'm feeling some ambiguity as to whether that young assistant is actually Masako's lover. At the least, Masako's perception of Daikichi's resemblance to Souichirou has me wondering what she actually felt for that man. In any case, this episode marks the return of me being bothered by unattractive faces/character designs and felt somewhat dragging overall (although character development for Masako is indeed obviously important). Not as compelling material overall (perhaps compared to the previous one), thanks in part to Daikichi's interactions in this episode being largely dominated by awkwardness.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 13:08   Link #533
Kopi
Σ(゚ロ゚ノ)ノ

The last part was funny. "Watch out for cars, Daikichi. I Know!", "I will Carry You. Forget it" and "Carry Me, Forget it"
Kopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 13:20   Link #534
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Spoiler for Episode 8:
Old 2011-08-25, 16:40   Link #535
calorie

Another beautiful concert of slice-of-life, good-natured comedy and more profound topics than you usually see in anime nowadays. Rin being as adorable as she always is, it's Daikichi who's slowly getting the spotlight in my eyes - he's a cool, but also a responsible guy who quickly got used to the tremendous task of raising a child that he set upon himself, and immediately got to like it. And at the same time he continues to be a man. I mean it's just nice that it isn't because he is some sort of depressed hikkomori or something that he chose to take care of Rin (having nothing better to do/in order to feel better about himself). Makes his effort seem all the more commendable.

I wonder what type of manga Masako works on.
calorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 18:30   Link #536
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Another nice episode for sure. The ending was pretty fun with Daikichi suddenly getting in a hurry when thinking about Kouki's mother in a yukata . Do agree he might as well make a move or at least make some attempts to get a feel for the situation so he can then make a move .

Tough to see what happened to the flowers, but that's change for you. While we can only assume the intentions of Daikichi's uncle, the result is clear. Probably just didn't want to have to bother with gardening at a house he doesn't actually live in.

It's always going to be a mix with Masako. Like Daikichi don't particularly care for her, but there are positives that creep up every now and then. Can understand the thinking of burying herself in maybe more work than she can handle just so her decision meant something. Don't think that guy is technically her boyfriend though certainly seems to want that. Think he's too young for her tastes .

While a good kid, Kouki is a bit odd.
Old 2011-08-25, 18:36   Link #537
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

There something so true to life about the way that Daikichi stand ready to pick up the pieces of Rin's broken heart, only to find that she's become mature enough to handle reality on her own. First by the grave, and then in the yard where the flowers used to be, Usagi Drop toys with my expectations, and Daikachi's alike. He finds himself feeling proactively devastated on her behalf, while she herself processes the changes quite reasonably.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 19:24   Link #538
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It might be just a bit unrealistic that Rin dealt with that situation so maturely. She's one in a million, to say the least.

However, I was very impressed with Daikichi's reaction to seeing Masako had visited the grave. He's just too decent not to let her know Rin was there, but he knew it might be disastrous if they met. The solution he derived was perfect.

It couldn't be more obvious that he's smitten with Yukari, but I have to think there's not enough time to see any real development there in the anime.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 21:47   Link #539
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
/yawn

I'm getting tired of praising Usagi Drop at this point, so I'm just going to say I'll give the latest episode (ep 7) 10/10 .
Version 2.0 (For episode 8)
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 23:06   Link #540
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
An excellent Episode Eight.

Very good flow in this episode between the Daikichi/Rin bits and the Masako bits. They complimented each other nicely, and it was good to watch the episode bring the two subplots together.

The episode did a good job of drawing sharp contrasts between the Daikichi/Rin bits and the Masako bits. The realistic intensity of the Masako bits complimented the heartwarming and relatively lighthearted Daikichi/Rin scenes.

I'll also say that I downright liked Kouki in this episode, which is quite an improvement on my take on him from only two episodes ago. He struck me as amusing here. I think that Kouki and Reina both add a lot when used in small doses, as they were in this episode (just Kouki) and the last (Kouki and Reina).

All-in-all, I have no complaints here. Usagi Drop is astoundingly consistent on a week-to-week basis. It's probably the closest thing to a flawless TV series anime I've seen.

Daikichi and Rin are slightly idealized, but I don't think Usagi Drop has gone too far with that yet. Making Rin too good (and/or Daikichi too patient) is the only potential hurdle that this anime needs to be careful about going forward, in my view.

With this in mind, I also would like to see Daikichi act on his affection for Mrs. Kouki. Come on, dude, don't be like an overly shy teenage male harem lead, you're better than that, you really are.

Tags
josei, noitamina, romance