AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2011-08-13, 00:38   Link #61
Kudryavka

Anyone know if mix-style Star headphones have good sound quality?
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-13, 17:01   Link #62
David Watts
Stay Free

Send a message via MSN to David Watts
I just end up buying the 5 dollar ear-buds because I am poor
Old 2011-08-13, 18:34   Link #63
Roduigez
Haruhiist

Well, when I'm at the computer I use a pair of Creative Fatal1ty headphones, they're gaming headphones but they're really good quality for music and film/shows and really comfortable. They also last a while.
Old 2011-08-13, 19:17   Link #64
spikexp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roduigez View Post
and really comfortable.
Mine hurt my ear (not cause of the sound), it fell like they are too tight.
But else, they sound good (or maybe not bad).
I will probably change them for something better, I love having my headphone more than before. I don't know, the feeling of headphone is not the same as the one of speaker (x-540).
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-13, 19:49   Link #65
Roduigez
Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
Mine hurt my ear (not cause of the sound), it fell like they are too tight.
Ah, that's something I forgot to mention. They are comfortable, but for a lot of people, when you first get them they do hurt your ears as they did mine, but after a week or two they mould a little and then they are comfortable.
Old 2011-08-13, 20:21   Link #66
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

You got a sweet collection man, very jelous
Old 2011-10-09, 21:18   Link #67
iceyfw

this intriguing post i read over @ head-fi made me go when i read it and it is related to anime and headphones. what the posts were saying is anytime they see someone IRL wearing a pair of white akg 701 headphones, they automatically assume they only get it because of anime. it even gets worse - if the person is asian, it is because they watched k-on or whatever that other anime show is. something about some girl who used to live in a city, and then moved to some small population town (showed the headphones in OP2).

i want to hear if you have anything to say about this. but no one can deny the white akg 701's became more extremely popular once people saw it in k-on.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 21:54   Link #68
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Headphones really come down to how much money you are willing to spend (you can spend a lot). That said, unless you're a real audiophile, after ~$100...the gain/improvement per dollar really plummets, imo, and so I always suggest that as the pricepoint for non-audiophile friends looking for something better than their Walmart Sony/Koss/Bose/Pioneer headphones (or, even worse, the headphones/earbuds that came with their MP3 player/phone).

If you are an audiophile, I don't think you really need recommendations.

So, for the ~$100 range, I'd recommend a pair of Sennheisers. You can't really go wrong with their lower-end side of their HD line, and ~$100 generally offers a marked improvement over $10-$50 department store brands. Their HD 448 can be found for ~$80-$90. Sennheiser is an established name in the headphone business. You can go even cheaper with their HD 428 @ $50, while still being an upgrade over cheapo headphones. (Disclaimer: I own a pair of HD 595s as my "comfort" headphones-ie: marathoning an anime TV series-due to their loose, open design and a pair of HD 600s...that despite being the better sounding headphones, doesn't get used as much due to the closed, tighter design-but have tried both the 448 and 428s).

I would strongly suggest staying away from "gaming" headsets, as most of them are low quality with a huge mark-ups stemming from slapping the "gaming" marketing label on their boxes. ie: While many are in the $100-150 range, their sound quality really puts them in the $50 range. There are probably exceptions, and one of the things you should be on the look-out for if you do intend on a gaming headset is to avoid those that use USB. Two 3.5 mm jacks (one for the headphone, one for the mic) usually means the manufacturer is serious about the sound quality.

If you want a good set of earbuds, be prepared to pay a bit more for the same quality as a pair of headphones, or pay the same for inferior quality. I use the $99 Shure SE215s for jogging, or when I am flying/on a train, but when at home, I'll always use around the ear headphones instead.

Anyways, headphones are like shoes. Not really worth paying for cheapo generics, nor worth paying for those Air Jordans (ie: flashy mass-market gaming headsets). Spend a little bit of money to get something with some quality behind it, and think of it as an investment that will provide enjoyment/comfort for years.

And, like anything, this is just my opinion.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 22:07   Link #69
Puddingman

I've found the biggest thing to consider with headphones is taking good care of the wire by the insert plug!!

I've had $5 headphones and $20 headphones, both broke because of the wire being bent too much, causing sound to only come out of one ear (which can be cool/functional to learn some songs).

I try not to store them in my book bag, and I pay special attention to how I carry them in my pocket. When wrapping the headphones, I leave some slack near the plug end so that it isn't wrapped too tight.

Lately I've been doing those things, and the ear pieces have started to fall apart before anything else , good sign there XD.

Oh and, extra bass is nice too
Old 2011-10-11, 21:25   Link #70
hyl
reading #hikaributts

I had my white akg-701 a whole year before k-on came >_>

Audio Technica headphones are also a good alternative for headphones under $100 if you live outside of europe. Because Sennheiser's are more expensive in the USA.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 00:08   Link #71
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Hey guys, what do you prefer, big or small headphones?
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 05:24   Link #72
iceyfw

Quote:
Originally Posted by defki View Post
Has anyone ever tried the Sennheiser HD 800? Are they worth the 1000 they cost?
42 page thread of peoples reviews and opinions on the hd800
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 10:48   Link #73
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

I wear cheap $10 Sony earbuds. They've worked quite satisfactorily so far, but I have been interested in just how well the more pricey headphones work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Headphones really come down to how much money you are willing to spend (you can spend a lot). That said, unless you're a real audiophile, after ~$100...the gain/improvement per dollar really plummets, imo, and so I always suggest that as the pricepoint for non-audiophile friends looking for something better than their Walmart Sony/Koss/Bose/Pioneer headphones (or, even worse, the headphones/earbuds that came with their MP3 player/phone).

If you are an audiophile, I don't think you really need recommendations.

So, for the ~$100 range, I'd recommend a pair of Sennheisers. You can't really go wrong with their lower-end side of their HD line, and ~$100 generally offers a marked improvement over $10-$50 department store brands. Their HD 448 can be found for ~$80-$90. Sennheiser is an established name in the headphone business. You can go even cheaper with their HD 428 @ $50, while still being an upgrade over cheapo headphones. (Disclaimer: I own a pair of HD 595s as my "comfort" headphones-ie: marathoning an anime TV series-due to their loose, open design and a pair of HD 600s...that despite being the better sounding headphones, doesn't get used as much due to the closed, tighter design-but have tried both the 448 and 428s).

I would strongly suggest staying away from "gaming" headsets, as most of them are low quality with a huge mark-ups stemming from slapping the "gaming" marketing label on their boxes. ie: While many are in the $100-150 range, their sound quality really puts them in the $50 range. There are probably exceptions, and one of the things you should be on the look-out for if you do intend on a gaming headset is to avoid those that use USB. Two 3.5 mm jacks (one for the headphone, one for the mic) usually means the manufacturer is serious about the sound quality.

If you want a good set of earbuds, be prepared to pay a bit more for the same quality as a pair of headphones, or pay the same for inferior quality. I use the $99 Shure SE215s for jogging, or when I am flying/on a train, but when at home, I'll always use around the ear headphones instead.

Anyways, headphones are like shoes. Not really worth paying for cheapo generics, nor worth paying for those Air Jordans (ie: flashy mass-market gaming headsets). Spend a little bit of money to get something with some quality behind it, and think of it as an investment that will provide enjoyment/comfort for years.

And, like anything, this is just my opinion.
This is fascinating info. Thanks.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 16:36   Link #74
Jaden

What Creb's saying is likely good advice on a music board.

Then again, if you are a gamer, there's no point in getting audiophile gear. The sound in games is mostly low bitrate stuff and doesn't use that many channels.
So is the music most people listen to, btw.

The highest tier headphones reproduce everything faithfully, right? So what is garbage going in, is garbage coming out. Cheaper sets have toning effects that mask the lower quality of the sound, so 160kbps will sound just as good as FLACC.

I've been running with Steelseries Siberia V2 for 5 months of heavy use now, yet to have any complaints.

As a 21st century digital boy that's always been listening to mp3 players and terrible stereos, I'm a terrible judge of sound quality, so all I can say is that nothing hurts my ears.
The design with a headband + support beams is comfortable, durable and looks cool.

Mic is very good for communication, it cancels the noise from the environment well. It also slides nicely into the left earbud when not needed.

The set comes with a 1m cable with a 2m extension. The plastic cover is no substitute for braiding, and the cables seem suspect to damage from bending and tangling. At this point it's fine, but I feel like the way this headset will eventually break is from pulling and bending the cables too much.
Old 2011-10-26, 22:46   Link #75
bungto
Banned

Dre Beats =p~ It's awesome
bungto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-26, 23:14   Link #76
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

the hd600s are open backs... i honestly don't know if i want a pair of open headphones right now. i wouldn't want to spend more than ~130, and that basically limits my options to ATH-AD700 for the kind of sound i like. that's a huge factor that a lot of non-audiophile people miss. yeah, the hd800 are $1k, but you may hate the way they sound because you want something warmer and not as analytical (in which case, i'd point you to the LCD-2..) your taste in music and what kind of listening you enjoy will greatly affect the kind of headphone you buy.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-31, 09:28   Link #77
boirefish

LOL! this is hilarious. I migrated from the anime section of a headphone forum to the headphone section of an anime forum

My first post. It's very nice to meet you all!!

Before I start, I'd just like to say that I've spent thousands on my rig. Also, despite being quite a spender, I'm vehemently against beats by dre/bose in terms of audio quality for the price range.

I just had a general read of this thread, and essentially, here are a few of my thoughts/how I've gotten to this point:

My first pair of proper headphones aside from the generic buds you get with your iphone/android (in my case an htc desire from just over a year ago), was some sennheiser cx300 precision ii's ($24 delivered from ebay. Uncertain if they were fake). They sounded pretty good at the time.

After a few months, I wanted to go for some higher end buds or even over ear headphones (was considering bose to begin with. thank god I didn't get that far). Ended up buying some noise cancelling headphones on ebay, since they were reviewed fairly favourably against bose and also somewhat of a nichè within a nichè sort of thing. They were the Able Planet noise cancelling NC500 ($85 delivered. these were real, although the brand is not particularly popular. For various reasons). As a general rule of thumb, if it cancels noise, it's not going to be "audiophile" quality - if you want a detailed explanation on the mechanics and dynamics involved, give me a nudge and I'd be happy to elaborate.

After a bit more soul searching, and discovering headfi (yes, that place, full of trolls and confusing contradictions posted by oblivious fools like myself), I decided to land myself a pair of beyerdynamics dt880's 600ohm ($200 used). These badboys were my first audiophile grade headphones, and they really were a great improvement (I thought it was worth the yet I had nothing to amplify the 600ohm badboy. Bought myself a fiio E5 ($20) just to keep it running, albeit not at its full potential. The next step was to get a proper entry amplifier and DAC to keep my new headphones happy. Thus, I bought a matrix mini ii dac with headphone amp ($220 - the amp section is really nothing more than an afterthought, as with several other similar models) and a DIY PPAv2 amplifier (got it for a bargain price of $150 delivered. Best price for an amp I've ever spent. It really was worthy of at least $300, sound quality wise, looking back).

After that, I started taking some big steps, things like my LCD-2 Rev. 2 ($1200), a woo audio 6 with sophia rectifiers and other rectifiers + tubes ($800), a LCD-2 Rev 1 (wanted to try it out, around $850), and a burson 160DS (most recent purchase - just came out a week ago. $900)

I've also gotten other things in between like a silver dragon cable for the LCD-2's, which RRP's for around $330, but if audiophilia has taught me anything, it's that these items don't depreciate very fast/at all/may increase in value, so yes.

Is it worth it? Yes.
Where do I see the greatest cost/reward ratio? ~ probably the $200 beyers.

I'll continue this train of thought later. Have to sleep

Once again, it's very nice to meet you all, and I hope to get along with everyone!! I really like my anime/anime music.

Last edited by NightWish; 2011-11-05 at 18:08.
boirefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-05, 20:43   Link #78
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by boirefish View Post
After that, I started taking some big steps, things like my LCD-2 Rev. 2 ($1200), a woo audio 6 with sophia rectifiers and other rectifiers + tubes ($800), a LCD-2 Rev 1 (wanted to try it out, around $850), and a burson 160DS (most recent purchase - just came out a week ago. $900)
Nice purchases. I love my woo audio 6 as well, which I use to drive my Beyer T1.

Quote:
Is it worth it? Yes.
Where do I see the greatest cost/reward ratio? ~ probably the $200 beyers.
I think any of the classic big 3 (K701, HD650, DT880) when adjusted for taste is a good entry point into head-fi when you can find them used.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-06, 12:07   Link #79
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I've been running with Steelseries Siberia V2 for 5 months of heavy use now, yet to have any complaints.
Those headphones are extremely good, I also like http://www.ttesports.com/products/product.aspx?s=11 as a gaming headset.

As for in ear headphones I have water proof ones because my job is surfing so there quality isn't amazing
Old 2011-11-06, 21:51   Link #80
Puddingman

Haha, this thread gave me an idea. This may be a little off topic, but I'm gonna risk it. If anyone wants to delete this thread go for it, no offense will be taken.

Anyways, there is this Bjork tune called Headphones. I thought it might add to the importance of this thread, the sanctuary of being in good headphones:

Spoiler for youtube:

I hope y'all like it!