AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

View Poll Results: Hyouka - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 36 32.43%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 48 43.24%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 15.32%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 6.31%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-08, 22:54   Link #21
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquifina View Post
*snipped*
Great writeup. I'll have to disagree with you on one point though. I don't think Hyouka is slice-of-life at its best because I don't think it's quite a slice-of-life, unless we want to call any "realistic" show a slice of life (which is one way to define it, I admit.) I agree with ahelo about Hyouka being layers upon layers of characterization. It has a clear direction to go, abeit very slowly. I know you didn't label Hyouka as "just" a slice-of-life, but I always feel a little strange when someone called Hyouka that. It's like when someone call Evangelion a mecha show I guess. It is, but not quite.
Old 2012-10-09, 08:52   Link #22
Aquifina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
Great writeup. I'll have to disagree with you on one point though. I don't think Hyouka is slice-of-life at its best because I don't think it's quite a slice-of-life, unless we want to call any "realistic" show a slice of life (which is one way to define it, I admit.) I agree with ahelo about Hyouka being layers upon layers of characterization. It has a clear direction to go, abeit very slowly. I know you didn't label Hyouka as "just" a slice-of-life, but I always feel a little strange when someone called Hyouka that. It's like when someone call Evangelion a mecha show I guess. It is, but not quite.
I see your point--since there's no real defined genre of almost exclusively "character-driven" anime, it really is hard to classify Hyouka. Note that hardly anyone thinks it's appropriate to classify it as simply a mystery anime akin to the venerable Detective Conan franchise, even though mysteries are the other constant throughout the series, besides a heavy emphasis on characterization.
Old 2012-10-17, 15:40   Link #23
Loaded Soda
"...goddamnit, Eureka."

I really liked Hyouka. The slow pace, detailed and interesting characters and light mysteries were a winning combo for me. I marathoned the first 10 episodes or so and then watched them as they air and I regret not watching it sooner.

I'll probably marathon it sometime soon.
Old 2012-10-20, 21:55   Link #24
Aquifina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loaded Soda View Post
I really liked Hyouka. The slow pace, detailed and interesting characters and light mysteries were a winning combo for me. I marathoned the first 10 episodes or so and then watched them as they air and I regret not watching it sooner.

I'll probably marathon it sometime soon.
I highly recommend re-watching the series--there are a lot of subtle cues in earlier episodes that I at least didn't understanding until rewatching the series, and knowing how the story ends. There's a lot of anime I can enjoy on a first viewing, but few I find worthwhile enough to rewatch.
Old 2012-10-28, 21:48   Link #25
NaweG
Just some guy

Has a version 11.5 re-encode been released from the BD release? Would like to rewatch, but would like to not have to grit my teeth to do so this time
Old 2012-10-28, 23:09   Link #26
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
Has a version 11.5 re-encode been released from the BD release? Would like to rewatch, but would like to not have to grit my teeth to do so this time
The manga that 11.5 comes with will be released on January 26 like most of the Shounen Ace titles that'll come out that month.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2012-11-07, 01:40   Link #27
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

I've been enjoy rewatching some of the early episodes for the past few days. I'm surprised how many things I missed and how many things were mentioned early on. For example, in episode 1 we already saw a flyer for "global act" club, the one that we heared advertising in the background in Juumonji arc a couple times. The kurata club's flyer was also there. Also, Chitanda mentioned that her friend joined it when she saw a flyer for forture telling club. Another one is Houtarou said explicitly in the thrid episode that his sister graduated two years ago, but I don't remember anyone actually pointed that out in our lenghtly debate in the "Why didn't she ask Eba?" arc. I could be wrong here though.

I also think that the episode 6 featuring everyone's favorite Hyouka's-most-boring-story (not mine though) about why Chitanda got angry is there to show a direct contrast to episode 21 where both her and Houtarou got angry. It is certainly a long and early buildup. Of course, I realized that the novel source was arranged differently, but this is one story that adapting it into chronological order actually works. And it works well.

I really want to discuss about what I picked up in the rewatch with someone, too bad there's probably no one gonna talk with me about them.

Also, I really need to got a BD copy of this series somehow.
Old 2012-11-07, 22:40   Link #28
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
I really want to discuss about what I picked up in the rewatch with someone, too bad there's probably no one gonna talk with me about them.
Well, if there's enough interest, I have no problem about creating a rewatch thread (it's been done in other sub-forums here).

(Please show your interest in the Hyouka - Requests for new threads thread)
Old 2013-01-12, 03:50   Link #29
ginger02

I really liked the series overall. I only remember good things from it. I hope there will be a 2nd season.
Old 2013-04-01, 17:45   Link #30
custardpie

I'm late to the show. I watched the first two episodes, I think, when they first came out, but soon lost interest because of the pace and Chitanda's overbearingly glittery eyes. A friend of mine recommended this to me a while ago and I finally got to watching it.

This is the first anime I've seen in quite a while (except for re-watches), and it has successfully revived my dying interest in the form. I gradually fell in love with its understated tone, realistic character revelations, and beautiful animation. I really came to sympathize with all four major characters, although I believe the girls could have had more development. The only thing I didn't like about it is its OP/EDs, except for the second ED. They aren't bad, but they're not that memorable, and I've found many of KyoAni's OP/EDs to be especially memorable.

I hope a second series will be made, although from what I've found about the release dates of the novels, it seems like it either won't be made or will be a long time coming.
Old 2013-08-15, 21:13   Link #31
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by custardpie View Post
...This is the first anime I've seen in quite a while (except for re-watches), and it has successfully revived my dying interest in the form. I gradually fell in love with its understated tone, realistic character revelations, and beautiful animation. I really came to sympathize with all four major characters, although I believe the girls could have had more development. The only thing I didn't like about it is its OP/EDs, except for the second ED. They aren't bad, but they're not that memorable, and I've found many of KyoAni's OP/EDs to be especially memorable....
I like your description of the show. I enjoyed it in a lukewarm way from the start, but fell in love with it as it went along, for the same reasons you did.

I thought Satou Satomi did an excellent job as Eru, but for me Kayano Ai's Mayaka was the best supporting performance of the year. I understand what you are saying about the female characters needing more development, but even as they were they stood out for me quite a bit, maybe because of the performances.

Where we differ is that ChouCho's first OP is one of my all-time favorite anime OPs -- even though the "water drop" effect in the animation was a nice idea that didn't actually work, because of the rhythm not fitting.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2013-08-19, 03:27   Link #32
R.LocK
My turn

When I watched Hyouka for the first time, I was surprised. It showered me with fantastic visuals, elegant tricks and wonderful plot. Characters were all so likeable that I could not tear my gaze off the screen. You simply can't just watch their antics without empathising with them.
However, it was a bit notorious at the start. I'd be completely honest: had it not been for the light novels, I would have never watched Hyouka. I am pretty sure about it. At least, people that I know would not have encouraged me to give Hyouka a try. I feel that I was cheating because Kinny did a pretty good job with keeping up with anime adaptation for the time being.
Let me elaborate a little bit. Hyouka starts off slowly. Its charisma does not show itself openly, so it's not easy for Hyouka to hook audience. The premise is your usual "revive the club", which doesn't give the series any bonus points. Also, Chitanda's antics may scare off some people. The mysteries are thought out well enough, but they're too simple. In the end, you're confused. What do I watch? Why should I continue watching it?
At this stage, half of viewers drop Hyouka. It's not up to their liking. Some part of them is just angry at KyoAni for animating some random things, instead of continuing Suzumiya Haruhi or FMP. They have a point, perhaps. It's not the point, though.
The nest stage is even harder. Hyouka's got some 'filler' episodes in-between the first arc and the second one. Also, the second one's mystery is a bit underwhelming. That's where remaining viewers take a choice. Should I still continue? Should I drop the show?
The answer depends on how they perceive the charm of Hyouka. If they don't get it, they drop the show. If they do, the answer is pretty clear.

With that out of the way, I'd just say the main point. Hyouka is a series that is easier to re-watch than to watch. Does it make sense to you? For me, it does.
First of all, Hyouka is not about solving riddles. Sure, they play an important role, but not in hooking the audience. Nope, they are there to help characters develop. Besides, it's always interesting to look out for the clues you've missed on the first try.
Second, Hyouka's selling point is not plot. Let's be frank, Hyouka's plot is generic once you think about it. However, the author cleverly pieced together details to get to the reader, and then to the watcher. That's impressive. But Hyouka's about charasters' interaction and development. These two points give Hyouka a unique flavor compared to a generic 'Slice of Life'. Also, it's hard to get bored of them due to KyoAni's impressive efforts. Voice actors' work, great animation, perfectly chosen background music - everything works perfectly.
KyoAni managed to get to me. They really did. I'd never forget Mayaka's hot dash from school to competition. The festival was great, that's for sure. Did you notice that in still shots side characters were moving? Not one by one, but simultaneously, just like in real life. It was ab-so-lute-ly amazing. Let's not forget about Houtarou and Satoshi's development. A bored genius who thinks that he's a normal human, and a normal human who strives to grow more than he could. Isn't it an interesting pair of characters? They make an interesting contrast, that's for sure.
And, Chitanda. She moved even more than Satoshi, but animators still made efforts to make her movements gracious. What a sight to behold.
Side characters were certainly not bland. God damn, can you really forget Irisu? Or Astronomy Club's leader? Cooking Club's President? Nope, you can't. And that's cool.
I think, I'd get back to Hyouka over and over again just to feast on this incredible show.

P.S. I did go off tangent, silly me. Anyway, perfect 10 out of 10.
Closed Thread