AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-07-23, 02:22   Link #81
duock
JUST A PERVERT

Send a message via MSN to duock
because is different country, if u look at asia, one piece is more popular than naruto.
Old 2006-07-23, 08:14   Link #82
nadare

Send a message via MSN to nadare
In my country(Asia, PH), Naruto is more popular. Only a few of us like one piece. But, in other countries in Asia One piece is more popular. But, most of us that have more access to anime already dropped Naruto and still went on with one piece.
Old 2006-07-27, 19:12   Link #83
Undertaker

What's PH stand for? Phillipine?

I know that in Taiwan, China, Hong Kong and Japan itself, One Piece is much more popular....
Old 2006-07-27, 19:34   Link #84
everlasting

i was in japan for the summer and most of wat i say was one piece and hello kitty i was like omg one piece is pretty popluar in japan
Old 2006-07-28, 05:03   Link #85
igalsfy

in japan, one piece is the #1 best seller each time a new volume is out. who cares about what happens outside japan? not oda.
Old 2006-08-01, 19:20   Link #86
Evan
天使我爱你

Naruto-is popular becuz all kids go wow over it with their stuipd crap jutsu.

Bleach-no comments,nvr touched it.

One Piece 4 lyfe
Old 2006-08-02, 10:52   Link #87
miko tian

in the us, it's pretty obvious why naruto wins over one piece. most people associate one piece with the lard 4kids cooks up. and when bleach comes, all the people who watch adult swim will all of a sudden convert from inuyashism to bleach imo.

but in japan, it's a different story. everyone knows one piece is good, so it's much more accepted and doesn't receive a ridiculous amount of prejudice and slander.

and remember that just because a show isn't particularly popular, it doesn't immediately follow that it's not great. some of my favorite anime aren't ludicrously popular, such as wolf's rain :\
Old 2006-08-02, 11:02   Link #88
attic_dude

this is what i think...

naruto started out really well and is a downhill skid because of the ridiculous fillers, bleach is following naruto but has a better filler story. one piece is great because even the fillers are a joy to watch.
Old 2006-08-02, 12:36   Link #89
drgntig
i'm psychic.god says hi.

the reason is probly...

the thing is that most people see it as more of a childish anime. Due to the art work and the story line. and also look at the characters fighting style.i mean whats a gum gum kick. also the fact that it's about a good pirate. you can tell it's kind of childish.
Old 2006-08-02, 18:48   Link #90
Undertaker

And good ninja is not kiddish? I love Ninjas, but they are sneaky little spys and assasins that are treat worse than dogs in reality and and brain-washed to do whatever the Daimiyo (Japanese Fuedal Lord) tells them to do even if it is to kill a 10 month old infants or sleep around with men/women just to get a piece of info or acting as human shield for some one.

There is a better chance for a "good" pirate to appear than a "good" ninja to appear, it's more likely to have pirates that are Robinhood like, but it's not possible for ninjas to act on he's own moral conscence due to their strick codes; those that can't complete missions are deemed worthless and in some cases hunted down and dispose of and they have absolutly no social status what so ever.

So far Naruto is nothing but a story about good ninja and their friends, which is fine by me, but totally impossible in reality and certainly more farfatched than OP. It's artwork in manga are just as kiddish as OP in the beginning as well.

I actually started reading Naruto first online because I like ninjas and find OP artwork kind of weird but then after a friend back Taiwan recommand OP and telling me how much OP is more popular in East Asia and mush better than Naruto I start to read it and got stuck immediately. Since than the only time I think Naruto was better than OP was during mid-to-late part of Sky Piea arc that I find the arc is streching too long and Naruto is at time was in the best part of it's series imo which is the Akasuki/Sanin arc.

Since than, Naruto has been in a down hill after the battle of Sannins and is getting to a point that the story is just stalling for stalling's sake and power scales are all messed up as well with too many holes starts to pop up in the stories and in addition to the lack of growth on part of Naruto himself compare to his peers. While Oda surprised my fun little arc in Davy Back Fight and a great constracted arc in Water 7 and the gap bwteen two series just getting wider and wider.

For past couple week I actually enjoy Bleach manga more than Naruto and that means something, because while I enjoyed reading Bleach I was never a huge fan of the series, all similar action manga out at time it was ranked behind Black Cat on my list but now I actually enjoy Bleach manga a little bit more than Naruto....

Last edited by Undertaker; 2006-08-02 at 19:22.
Old 2006-08-02, 20:28   Link #91
itachirlz

hi i have an answer to how to get one piece popular again go to www.bestfreeforums.com/forums/pirates.html
Old 2006-08-13, 21:41   Link #92
Biswa

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php...ord2=One+Piece
Omg, just look at how One Piece > Naruto!

I also think I agree with the many people who have posted that it is all a matter of opinion. Some people prefer a short, deep plot over a long winded, several sub-arcs of One Piece. Personally I am a bigger fan of Bleach (followed only by One Piece in the shounen category). I am intrigued immensely by One Piece's characters, especially Luffy, but I don't think the long winded "adventure" is the best thing someone wants for over 300 episodes. Some people may have just gotten tired of the slow pacing of the anime. Other factors include funny looking animation, childishness, music, target audience, etc. Once again, it is a matter of opinion.
As for it's popularity, I have not seen any problem with it being rejecting by any audience (not even a lot of complains from 4kids watchers, but not that they'd know what the REAL show is). I've yet to see someone post a REAL poll from Japan showing it's popularity. I'd want to place this 2nd, if not number one in overall popularity from the way I see it. But i don't know how everyone in the world thinks. Someone post an actual poll and analysis. =/

Disclaimer about link above: I am well awarel that One Piece is a much vaguer term, giving it more points in that fight. Don't hassle me about it :P.
Old 2006-08-31, 00:15   Link #93
minimariam100

Send a message via AIM to minimariam100
I think a lot of people are slipping away from Naruto considering all the filler arcs. Many people watch the first like 4 or 5 episodes and get annoyed with the Coby episodes and slow beginning. If people go up to the buggy and kuro arc, they will like it more.
Old 2006-09-02, 16:38   Link #94
Rezard

In the internet, almost all my friends like Naruto more than One Piece.

Sure One Piece is fine, but Naruto characters are more emtional and dramatic. Almost all characters are dramatic, the history is more dramatic. (Friends fighting each other, people being treated unjustly, etc).

While you might hate or like this, normally people do like this and feel easier to identify with the characters. There are dramatic scenes in OP, but they are not as deep as the ones in Naruto.

Also the fights are more fun and hard to tell, since the heroes do not win using only raw power, it´s need to be smart sometimes, to use strategy. Kiba vs Naruto fight was like this.

I find OP´s absurd world sometimes fun, but it’s starting to tire me. (I can create absurd stuff too, but that doesn’t mean I am being creative. Ex.: a gigantic cat that runs in a lake, explode, turns into rain of dogs, and forms a land of dead monkeys. This is not creative, it´s absurd). The show is also more childish.
Old 2006-09-02, 19:02   Link #95
Dual247

waitaminute waitaminute, you're telling me that OP is all about nonsensical fun with the no real storyline? and then you're comparing how naruto is more emotional and dramatic? i'm sorry, almost everything you say is the complete opposite of how i feel.

but first of all, just because the show's animation is different and toony doesn't make it a childish series.

secondly, if you think about it, perhaps almost all of your friends like naruto more is because you like it more and somewhat disliking OP. i mean from the way you talk about the show makes it sound like you don't really appreciate what it truly offers. so, if you don't like OP and like naruto, why wouldn't your friends, who you talk to on a constant basis not feel the same way. unless you like having friends that constantly bicker with each other about different shows.

now i'm not sure how much of OP you're watched or maybe you've watched the american version. but OP is all about character development. that's its main theme. the fighting is completely secondary, because as you said, you normally know who'll win anyway. but that's not what its about. its about this group of nakamas journeying the grandline together. there's constant growth with the group. and i'm definitely not sure what you're smoking when you say the character histories are more dramatic in naruto. again i ask, have you even watched the true japanese series of OP before instead of the crap that is the american version? the characters' past are one of the most important aspect of these pirates, because they define who they are, why they're here, and what drives them. so your so-called claims are completely wrong.

and once again, you look at the animation style and you come to the conclusion that its simply a comedy with the occasional dramatics. that's how i see it. but the way i see it, its a show that COMBINES comedy with dramatics. i mean all seriousness and no fun leads to a boring show.

i can see how you're here up and loaded with prime examples of how naruto this and naruto that and how the characters are so much more complex. i certainly don't mind that, but claiming one piece doesn't is just complete ignorance. i'm a big fan of naruto too, but they feel like different shows to me and i enjoy that. i perhaps like naruto's fight scenes a tad better, but the character interactions are no doubt better in OP. so instead of coming on here and try to kick OP to the curb, you can go back and chat with you Naruto fans about how great that show is, since obviously you don't know how good OP is. no point trying to make you like it since you obviously are too attached to naruto.

last thing, don't mix up creativity with absurdity. while OP is filled with creativity, your little cats, dogs, monkeys crap is complete nonsense. thank you
Old 2006-09-02, 21:46   Link #96
minimariam100

i think its better that one piece doesnt have so many fillers like naruto..
Old 2006-09-02, 22:01   Link #97
nduns

Simply put, a lot of people in America not only base their perceptions off of the dub, but if it's not some cliched plot about giant swords and samurai or ninjas, it's not worst watching. Seriously, OP is ten times popular in Japan and in America, its popularity is growing. Sadly, here in Canada, nobody has ever heard of watching episodes on the Internet, so almost nobody where I live likes One Piece because all they've seen is the dub. I only know 5 people who has given up on dubs permanently and switched to subs. You know why? Where I live, we get no Japanese imports! I freaking hate Alberta because all we ever have to deal with here is English dub crap. The only time I ever came close to getting the original version of a game here was Sonic Heroes only because you can change the language to Japanese.
Old 2006-09-02, 22:19   Link #98
nduns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezard
In the internet, almost all my friends like Naruto more than One Piece.

Sure One Piece is fine, but Naruto characters are more emtional and dramatic. Almost all characters are dramatic, the history is more dramatic. (Friends fighting each other, people being treated unjustly, etc).

While you might hate or like this, normally people do like this and feel easier to identify with the characters. There are dramatic scenes in OP, but they are not as deep as the ones in Naruto.

Also the fights are more fun and hard to tell, since the heroes do not win using only raw power, it´s need to be smart sometimes, to use strategy. Kiba vs Naruto fight was like this.

I find OP´s absurd world sometimes fun, but it’s starting to tire me. (I can create absurd stuff too, but that doesn’t mean I am being creative. Ex.: a gigantic cat that runs in a lake, explode, turns into rain of dogs, and forms a land of dead monkeys. This is not creative, it´s absurd). The show is also more childish.
Yet another tragic dub victim. Okay, here's the past life of each Straw Hat.

Luffy: He cut a scar under his eye to prove that he was tough, and Shanks still wouldn't let him join his crew. After he was kidnapped by a pissed off bandit, Shanks gave up his arm to save Luffy, and Luffy cried really hard. Upon leaving, Shanks gave Luffy his prized possession and told Luffy to give it back when he became a great pirate.

Zoro: He spent his life trying to beat Kuina. Instead, even when they were serious, after all of his training, Kuina would always hand his ass to him on a silver platter. Shortly after the two made a pact that one would be the best in the world, Kuina died from falling down the stairs. That's the real story. She was not crippled and never to be seen again. (Though that's just stupid) She died at a really bad time. Why else would Zoro have been standing in front of her grave after she was "Crippled" yet still alive? Nope, 4kids lied to you and ignored the true story completely.

Nami: She was raised by Bellemere who loved her a lot. One day, Arlong came to Bellmere's house. Bellmere paid him 100000 berries so her two daughters could go free, but instead, Arlong took Nami away and had one of his men shoot Bellemere. That's right. She also died. She was not sent to an isolated prison never to be heard from again. That's just rediculous and defies even 4kids' logic. Long after that, after Nami nearly had enough money to buy her village back from the monster, marines came and took it all away and she cried and stabbed herself on the shoulder to remove her Arlong tatoo.

Usopp: His father left him when he was young and his mother died a while after that. You don't call that sad?

Sanji: Zeff ate his own leg so Sanji could have all the leftover food for himself. Is that not dramatic?

Chopper: In his past, he was always abused by everyone except a doctor named Hiriluk. Chopper discovered the man had a deadly illness that was sure to end his life. Sadly, after Chopper claimed to have cured the doctor of his deadly illness, that good doctor ended up dying faster because of Chopper's miracle cure, so he went to King Wapol and commited suicide in front of him.

Robin: She sunk a whole island with a million inhabitants on it and now everyone fears her.

Seriously, try watching a lot of original episodes. You'll see twice the drama that Naruto has, if not ten times.
Old 2006-09-02, 23:35   Link #99
minimariam100

I dont think the reason the buster call was put in motion was because of robin alone, it was because of that entire group of archaeologists knew stuff/were researching stuff that was against the law. If they got any further they would have gained dangerous knowledge.
Old 2006-09-03, 10:03   Link #100
sleroux
seigaku substitute

in most part of europe, people doesn't even hear about Bleach, narroto
on the other hand, OP is in every bookstore, supermarket, so one piece is 100 times more popular in there. I think the europeans could more relate to op's story, with thier seacultures history of vikings, fleed and such. US dosnt care about all that stuff

Like the europeans, people from China, which has a big anime market, also leans more toward one piece then the other two

overall, One piece is the most popular, just not in america
Closed Thread