AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-07-03, 14:38   Link #341
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
This part.

And speaking of yuri googles, mine were shining quite brightly at this particular scene.

Oh, that part. I thought the translated dialogue was literal.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 14:46   Link #342
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

When official translators start throwing around memes for no reason whatsoever, something is seriously wrong. What were they thinking?
Old 2012-07-03, 15:05   Link #343
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
...I must have missed that part, but I don't remember the teacher (or anyone else) saying who would be the other student joining in the supplementary classes. Not that I don't doubt it. Was stated more explicitly in the RAW version? Please enlighten me.
Yes, the teacher said "the transfer student" (tenkousei). One of the translations just said "new student," which I interpreted as just another student, but which the translator probably intended to mean new to the school.

Another miss in that translation, to go with "lonely boy." Actually, probably not so much another miss as another over-enthusiastic paraphrase.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 15:31   Link #344
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Yes, the teacher said "the transfer student" (tenkousei). One of the translations just said "new student," which I interpreted as just another student, but which the translator probably intended to mean new to the school.

Another miss in that translation, to go with "lonely boy." Actually, probably not so much another miss as another over-enthusiastic paraphrase.
Thanks, that clears that up for me. And is as I suspected. I wish I had enough brain cells left so that I could learn Japanese. It's annoying when I see different translations from different fansub groups, especially when the expressed meanings very so much.

At least I was able to catch the English "lonely boy" phrase. But I do have a question about that. Why would she say it in English? Is that typical of a modern-day Japanese teenager? Would it have been a phrase that she, perhaps, picked up in a song, such as the original by Paul Anka? I do realize that probably most, if not all, Japanese high school kids study English, but do the usually go spouting English phrases at one another?
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 15:42   Link #345
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
...At least I was able to catch the English "lonely boy" phrase. But I do have a question about that. Why would she say it in English? Is that typical of a modern-day Japanese teenager? Would it have been a phrase that she, perhaps, picked up in a song, such as the original by Paul Anka? I do realize that probably most, if not all, Japanese high school kids study English, but do the usually go spouting English phrases at one another?
I wondered about "lonely boy" myself. When I search Google for Japanese pages containing "lonely boy," I get many hits, including numerous songs. I wondered if the translator went away from quoting it directly because he/she thought it gave some kind of wrong impression.

I think it is fairly common for people to use certain popular English words and phrases for fun, but I don't really know. If they do, "lonely boy" seems like a good candidate.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 15:50   Link #346
TJR

Quote:
At least I was able to catch the English "lonely boy" phrase. But I do have a question about that. Why would she say it in English? Is that typical of a modern-day Japanese teenager?
I don't know, but similar phrases are used all the time in games and anime, such as "pure boy" and "cherry boy" (as opposed to a Japanese word for "virgin").

I would guess that it's a tongue-in-cheek way of teasing someone without being too hurtful. Similarly, in comedy, the Japanese often downplay something that's potentially inflammatory by playing up foreign stereotypes. They mock certain people, but by doing it indirectly through an outrageous foreign parody (i.e. Hard Gay), it's funny and much less offensive.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 16:19   Link #347
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I wondered about "lonely boy" myself. When I search Google for Japanese pages containing "lonely boy," I get many hits, including numerous songs. I wondered if the translator went away from quoting it directly because he/she thought it gave some kind of wrong impression.
Well, I, for one, wish translators would leave certain Japanese words and phrases as-is, and if the English speaking audience (especially us fat, lazy Americans) doesn't get the meaning, they could just go look it up, like I have had to do. Since they're watching it on-line to begin with, why can't they just do an Internet search to figure out what 'sensei' means, or the difference between '-chan' and '-san' and '-kun', etc., etc.? It's not like there's a serious lack of references out there. And it helps to enjoy (or hate) the anime more if you really know what is being said. Sometimes the translations are so daft that even I can tell that they are just plain wrong.

Quote:
I think it is fairly common for people to use certain popular English words and phrases for fun, but I don't really know. If they do, "lonely boy" seems like a good candidate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
I don't know, but similar phrases are used all the time in games and anime, such as "pure boy" and "cherry boy" (as opposed to a Japanese word for "virgin").

I would guess that it's a tongue-in-cheek way of teasing someone without being too hurtful. Similarly, in comedy, the Japanese often downplay something that's potentially inflammatory by playing up foreign stereotypes. They mock certain people, but by doing it indirectly through an outrageous foreign parody (i.e. Hard Gay), it's funny and much less offensive.
Ah, like the "Cherry" shirt that the teacher in Mitsudomoe wears. I suppose that American youth culture is a lot more prevalent in Japan than Japanese youth culture is in the US, so we don't often (if at all; I certainly haven't) hear American high schoolers spouting Japanese phrases. On the other hand, I have seen a lot of tattoos with kanji characters, though whether they say what the owner thinks they say is another story.
Old 2012-07-03, 16:43   Link #348
Vena
Carpe Diem

If we're going to talk about shipping, then why has no one shipped: Vienna/Wien + Fedora? Classy.

Utterly baseless. (Edit, to make it clear: I'm talking about the hat, not the girl attached, she's just an accessory being worn by the hat.)

Last edited by Vena; 2012-07-03 at 16:53.
Vena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 17:58   Link #349
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Minko and Minko 2.0 comparisons

Spoiler for comparisons:
Old 2012-07-03, 18:00   Link #350
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
I don't care what designs P.A Works use the show looks beautiful and clear to me!
Old 2012-07-03, 18:04   Link #351
Julio C
Bury My Shell

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but at least I want to see them make different character designs. In fact I do like that she resembles Minko though, cause let's face it she is just a beautiful character design.
Old 2012-07-03, 18:36   Link #352
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post

Spoiler for comparisons:
Minko was my favorite character from that show, so Sakai did not, and does not, remind me of her, any more than Sakai reminds me of a plethora of other dark-haired anime school girls. Sure, they look similar, but that's nothing unusual, even from different anime companies. I'm sure if you wanted to, you could find similar looking matches to all the main cast members, not to mention similar in personality characteristics.

Quote:
I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but at least I want to see them make different character designs. In fact I do like that she resembles Minko though, cause let's face it she is just a beautiful character design.
I have noticed that when an anime company uses character designs that are too different from the norm, people also complain. There was an anime earlier this year that used very retro designs (I don't remember the name as I dropped it after the second episode; something about diving under the desert) and people in that forum also didn't like the designs.

I think this is an anime original, so the anime staff can't rely on (or blame) the mangaka for the character designs. If it was originally a manga, and not the mangaka's first work, the characters would most likely have striking resemblances to those in the other works by the same mangaka.

For example, you could take the main female characters from Inu Neko Jump! and Otogi no Machi no Rena, plunk them into Kenkō Zenrakei Suieibu Umishō, and you wouldn't know that they came from a different manga. Same mangaka, yes, as the designs are very similar. On the other hand, the female characters in Sankarea, also by Mitsuru Hattori, would look out of place. So, in that respect, you're right. They could make them more dissimilar in design if they tried hard enough.
Old 2012-07-03, 19:43   Link #353
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Where can I get the choir version of REFLECIA?
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 21:23   Link #354
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
Where can I get the choir version of REFLECIA?
What do you mean by that? It was shown during the first episode of this show, but that's it as far as I know.
Old 2012-07-03, 22:56   Link #355
Sylphic
KI NI NARIMASU!

Quote:
What do you mean by that? It was shown during the first episode of this show, but that's it as far as I know.
There is no choir version of Reflectia. This show was the first reveal of it.

Maybe it will be on the OST. I was so psyched when I heard it.

Otaku in Japan Daily Blog - [URL="www.ninjapan.org[/URL]
Sylphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 23:10   Link #356
Julio C
Bury My Shell

I hope the OST gets the full length, it's a great song that I can't get out of my head.
Old 2012-07-04, 10:05   Link #357
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:

Spoiler for comparisons:
Man, having a look at those comparisons, it really does confirm my belief that Tari Tari character designs are indeed Iroha rejects. God does Tari Tari look bad in comparsion.

Of course, it still beats the shit out of most studios, but it's "mediocre" for PA's standards. It my main complaint of the series. WHERE'S MY EYE CANDY PA!
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 10:07   Link #358
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Man, having a look at those comparisons, it really does confirm my belief that Tari Tari character designs are indeed Iroha rejects. God does Tari Tari look bad in comparsion.

Of course, it still beats the shit out of most studios, but it's "mediocre" for PA's standards. It my main complaint of the series. WHERE'S MY EYE CANDY PA!
Well, if nothing else, at least I now get why Minko was considered a stunning beauty by her class.

But yeah, HSI has an edge over Tari Tari in character designs. Ironically enough, given its age, True Tears is the PA Works anime with the best character designs of them all, imo.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-07-04 at 10:23.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 10:21   Link #359
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Well, if nothing else, at least I now get why Minko was considered a stunning beauty by her class.

But yeah, HSI has an edge over Tari Tari in character designs. Ironically enough, given its age, True Tears is the PA Works anime with the best character designs of all them all, imo.
And PA's most impressive visuals were in Seirei No Moiribito where they co-produced the series with Production IG (IG directors and storyboarders, PA animators). They seem to be going backwards! Explains why Another looked kinda bland

Ok I should stop bitching. Makes me sounds like I hate the series, when I actually enjoyed the first ep quite a bit . That's what I mean by dissing stuff I like folks!

Wait, isn't that what a tsundere does? Shit...
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 11:08   Link #360
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
This part.

I thought that was just a reference to the fact that he's in the badminton "club," going to practice despite being the only member.

A stubborn fellow, hence he's a "lonely boy" or "forever alone" in a very joking sense.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, music, original anime, pa works