AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-03-01, 14:54   Link #61
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
Each chapter had about 15 pages each. And yeah, I've read it all... Though it was the norwegian version, which has some of the most awful translations I've ever seen in a professional release. But the actual page-number isn't what's important here. The important thing is that the artwork is presented in such a way that you can get through one chapter in no time at all, and there's very little that actually happens in each one. (I just pulled out volume 34 of the manga... The first chapter can basically be summed up as "Goku and Cell fight. They increase their power. They fight some more. Mr. Satan and the other viewers stare with disbelief. Chapter ends.")
Interesting. How many chapters was the Goku vs. Cell fight in the manga? In the anime it was 4 episodes.
Old 2009-03-01, 15:09   Link #62
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Interesting. How many chapters was the Goku vs. Cell fight in the manga? In the anime it was 4 episodes.
Well, it took 6 chapters from the start of the battle and up to
Spoiler for the end of the fight, I guess:
So it seems the anime went with chapter=one episode, more or less, and, I actually checked, it took me less than five minutes to read those 6 chapters, so I would assume there was A LOT of filler in the anime-version.
Old 2009-03-01, 15:21   Link #63
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
Well, it took 6 chapters from the start of the battle and up to
Spoiler for the end of the fight, I guess:
So it seems the anime went with chapter=one episode, more or less, and, I actually checked, it took me less than five minutes to read those 6 chapters, so I would assume there was A LOT of filler in the anime-version.
No need to put spoilers. Everybody by now knows what the story of Dragonball is. The annoying thing about that fight in the anime was how they kept on interrupting the fight with Mr. Satan and his stupid announcers alongside him. I imagine that if they cut out all of those scenes it would amount to maybe nearly 20 minutes of footage. Maybe 2 episodes sounds appropriate for that whole portion of material? The real challenge will be condensing the Cell and Buu sagas (especially the Buu saga). The Saiyan and Freeza sagas don't seem to have as much filler as those two.
Old 2009-03-01, 16:02   Link #64
Sprite_Coke

Send a message via AIM to Sprite_Coke
I just saw the promo.
Announced to be starting next month!
Old 2009-03-01, 23:46   Link #65
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Regarding Freeza, neither his Japanese or English voice really did him any favours as far as gender confusion went. To this day I still don't know which one I'd consider more effeminate sounding.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-02, 03:59   Link #66
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Regarding Freeza, neither his Japanese or English voice really did him any favours as far as gender confusion went. To this day I still don't know which one I'd consider more effeminate sounding.
When I was a kid, seeing Freeza's second form was a complete shock. I swore he was actually a girl.
Old 2009-03-02, 15:24   Link #67
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
When I was a kid, seeing Freeza's second form was a complete shock. I swore he was actually a girl.
I still don't understand why people were always confused with Freeza's gender. Freeza was always referred to as a "he" in both the English and Japanese versions. I guess such confusion is to be blamed on Freeza's crappy english grandma voice. Seriously, what was Funimation thinking when they casted him?

One particular moment I am really looking forward to in Dragon Ball Kai is when Piccolo kills Raditz with his Special Beam Cannon. Now that the attacks are going to receive new special effects, the SBC is going to look absolutely amazing. I'll admit that I'm partial to this scene since Piccolo has always been my favorite character.
Old 2009-03-02, 22:47   Link #68
Sprite_Coke

Send a message via AIM to Sprite_Coke
PRINCE Frieza.... not princess. it's obvious.... and omg Special Beam Cannon rules.
I'm also anticipating the giant ape transformation, err any transformations in general I guess.
Btw were Bruce Falcnor's scores used in the Japanese version?
Old 2009-03-02, 22:51   Link #69
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
I still don't understand why people were always confused with Freeza's gender. Freeza was always referred to as a "he" in both the English and Japanese versions. I guess such confusion is to be blamed on Freeza's crappy english grandma voice. Seriously, what was Funimation thinking when they casted him?
If you guys ever get the chance, I recommend watching at least a few episodes of the spanish (latin america) dub. Goku's voice changes as he grows up ( along with the voice of other characters) and nobody questions Freeza's gender around these parts.
Old 2009-03-02, 23:31   Link #70
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Just for fun I'm going to let people decide for themselves which version of Freeza's voice sounds more effeminate:

Japanese Freeza

English Freeza

I apologize for having to subject some people to the awful english voiceovers. How far we've come since those days.
Old 2009-03-03, 00:10   Link #71
Nosauz

Not very far? I think my opinion on dubs is that Samurai Pizza Cats is probably the best "dub" of any anime in the past and future. SPC is what localization should be minus the weird censorship rules.

From the clips, freeza's got the typical obasan voice where as the english which is what I remember from my childhood is some what androgenous dancing between male and female. It really is a toss up, but if I had to choose it would be the japanese one.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-03, 00:19   Link #72
rebel one
Do the Monkey

Looking back makes me think why was his voice changed after the 1st transformation in the dub?
rebel one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-03, 01:18   Link #73
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite_Coke View Post
Btw were Bruce Falcnor's scores used in the Japanese version?
No, the japanese version had a completely different soundtrack.
Old 2009-03-03, 01:54   Link #74
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post

From the clips, freeza's got the typical obasan voice where as the english which is what I remember from my childhood is some what androgenous dancing between male and female. It really is a toss up, but if I had to choose it would be the japanese one.
That's why I kept on saying that one voice from Lucky Star sounded like Freeza.
Old 2009-03-03, 02:49   Link #75
Blackbeard D. Kuma

I thought everyone here would be interested in seeing this video clip of Super Vegeta vs. Perfect Cell I came across on Youtube. Basically, the uploader of this video took out all the filler from this fight and edited the footage to make it as close to its manga counterpart as possible. Originally, this fight was 2 episodes in the anime, but this person managed to cut down the time of this fight into a mere 7 minutes. Amazing how much filler there was in the anime. I guess this is a sample of what we can expect when Dragon Ball Kai is released. The series is very enjoyable to watch without scenes being dragged out and useless filler. Anyways, here is the video link for you all to enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WWpZ...e=channel_page
Old 2009-03-03, 04:00   Link #76
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
That's why I kept on saying that one voice from Lucky Star sounded like Freeza.
That one voice sounded a lot more like Orochimaru from Naruto (or Otose from Gintama) to me.

The sad thing is Frieza was actually voiced by a guy in the Japanese.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-03, 06:33   Link #77
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Kurotsuchi Mayuri in Bleach basically has the same exact voice.

Anyway, I can't wait to watch it all over again. I just hope the colors are way more vivid this time around. The colors in the original were faded even during new broadcasts. The limit of cell animation really.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-03, 13:56   Link #78
saravis

Here are a couple comparison shots I found in an article:

Spoiler for size:
Old 2009-03-03, 14:28   Link #79
Fran~
floating away...

still, i would prefer DB instead DBZ, but what the hell, i will piss my pants either way
Old 2009-03-03, 14:30   Link #80
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravis View Post
Here are a couple comparison shots I found in an article:

Spoiler for size:
Very interesting to see. They are cropping some of the top and bottom image and extending the image on the sides to accommodate for the 16:9 aspect ratio (very similar to the remastered sets Funimation has been releasing). However, the key difference between the two is that Funimation cropped the footage in the exact same framework all the time, whereas DragonBall Kai (in some parts) actually zooms in on certain images to show (what I would presume) the more important details of the animation. In other words, it appears that DragonBall Kai is simply not just going to crop their footage, but actually modify it by focusing the image on the parts they feel are most important. The last comparison of images proves this.