AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-03-26, 08:55   Link #41
KimmyChan

It most certainly is not! Me and my boyfriend always enjoy watching anime together
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-26, 20:55   Link #42
solomon

It's only as lonely as YOU want it to be.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-26, 20:58   Link #43
snowdevil_crow
Wielder of Cucumbers

I wouldn't call it 'lonely' so much as looked-down-upon by non-fans. Many people who aren't fans of anime tend to call anyone interested in it 'weeaboo' or wapanese or whatever, I find, or just think they're losers in general. And I'm not talking about the kinds of fans who go overboard, it's just that I find, lately, anyone who likes anime at all is considered a weeaboo. :/

But of course, if one hangs out with fellow anime fans or with people who don't act like that, there's nothing lonely about it. Just mildly annoying. ^^
snowdevil_crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-26, 21:58   Link #44
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You realize we have to tie you up and beat you for saying "w---boo"
(the original form of the game)

Non-fans who like to label and dismiss basically fail at thinking (and there are anime fans who also fail at thinking for essentially the same reason). Just try not to waste time with such people and focus on those people who think.
Old 2009-03-27, 06:02   Link #45
KimmyChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
It's only as lonely as YOU want it to be.
Very very good! I like the way you've put that Solomon
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 11:47   Link #46
Lonestar9

Send a message via Yahoo to Lonestar9
It can be lonely if you like to discuss/talk about it with other people, and they don't know what your talking about!
That's what forums are for though!
I watch most of it with my wife, even the ecchi shows, so it's not that lonely for me.
Lonestar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 10:45   Link #47
dragon300zx

Ok so how did all of you get your S.O.s to watch it with you? My gf refuses to watch it, argh I wish she hadn't grown up in such a culturally deprived community and family.

For the most part I can always find someone where I am at (except at work, which is weird since we are all geeks) likes anime.

The problem is the cuturally deprived people who are also there who think all anime is hentai.

Then again they do say ignorance is bliss, and these are usually the same people who don't realize how messed up our world is right now.
dragon300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 12:03   Link #48
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
I'd say it's lonely in the sense that I don't share my liking of it with most of my friends... and the fact that I seem to have a radically different taste in anime than the mainstream fandom around these parts (which is part of the reason I can't stand cons).

I've met a lot of people who've watched Haruhi and thought it was the greatest thing since bread and butter, but I've yet to meet a single person besides my best friend who's watched Baccano, for example--even though I'm convinced no one can dislike such a brilliant series.

The things I said also apply to other things, like taste in music and movies. Which doesn't make them lonely hobbies per se but it makes me less likely to talk about them with people since most don't really share my tastes.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.

Last edited by WanderingKnight; 2009-03-28 at 17:28.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 13:52   Link #49
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Anime in general is rather boring for me, but you gotta take it up to the next step which is the artistic part of anime. If you watch anime all, day I would find that becoming rather boring.

Pretty much expand what you do in the field of anime. There's much more in this field than just simply viewing animes. ^^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.

Last edited by Aoie_Emesai; 2009-03-28 at 14:03.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 16:16   Link #50
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
I've met a lot of people who've watched Haruhi and thought it was the greatest thing since bread and butter
This is the one show I can't watch with my friends. >_<

As a matter of fact, I have never meet another person in my city that actually likes Haruhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
Pretty much expand what you do in the field of anime. There's much more in this field than just simply viewing animes. ^^
Yay for photoshop!

Truly, doing anime traces has in fact, giving me more things to talk about with my friends that are related to anime.
Old 2009-03-28, 23:39   Link #51
anselfir
Style Über Alles

yes.

a large number of animu specific values and attitudes are socially anathema, at least in respectable civil society. the usual scenarios found in animu are also catering to defunct lifestyles and psychological needs that are antisocial. it is mostly a solitary and fantastic pursuit best done in the darkness of one's private basement. that is unless your friends have the same low taste that lead them to tolerate this 'hobby'
Old 2009-03-28, 23:45   Link #52
radioIzzy
stuck in a harem genre
*Artist

If your asian like me, pretty much all your friends watch anime haha.

We can get into some pretty intense conversations about what to watch and we give recommendations to each other.

Depends... I mean in the North American society, anime is smaller; still a new thing, so not as much people watch it other than the odd Dragon Ball Z.

However, in places like Korea and Japan, it's much more normal to watch anime, thus it's easier to find other people that watch anime. I guess it's a time and place sort of thing.
radioIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 00:11   Link #53
wao
OK.

I heartily agree with solomon's post that it's only as lonely as you make it to be. Both via actions and thoughts.

In my own case, I could easily find lots of people to watch anime with - it's not a particularly anti-social or minor hobby here the way it is in some Western countries, plus this place is tiny. Heck, the Japanese club we had in high school felt more like an excuse to watch anime, and it wasn't small (what was really sad was that people genuinely interested in Japanese culture - but not anime - were turned off) And you should've seen the hordes turning up for that animu convention thing last year.

Even among classmates without an iota of interest in Japan and otherwise cardboard-like teachers, there's enough who have watched at least a few in their spare time. Not all of them are necessarily hardcore, going to forums to discuss and all that, but anime is anime...

However, 97% of the time I watch anime on my own - I haven't found anyone IRL here who's got similar tastes to me, and I far prefer watching stuff on my own at my own pace anyway. (Also, there's some shows you wouldn't WANT to watch with others.)

I'd never think it was a lonely hobby though, since I find more than enough avenues to talk about it online and, most importantly, I'd quite readily talk about the same stuff IRL - if there was anyone who wanted to listen. Just because I talk to few people about it IRL doesn't make it lonely at all, IMHO.
Old 2009-03-29, 00:29   Link #54
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

I second or rather third solomon's post. It is up to your own actions that make anime seem like a lonely hobby. When you tend to watch anime on the internet, well usually you sit by yourself staring at the computer screen.

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Throne Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 11:58   Link #55
Dream
working...

Definitely no. If i wanted to talk about anime, all I have to do is join an anime club of some sorts.
And if you are not in school there are plenty offline anime club meetings out there you can easily find. Unless you live in some rural areas.

As for me, in my life drawing class there are alot of people majoring animation. And you can safely bet like at least 1/3 of people who major animation likes anime to certain degree.

I watch anime by myself almost always. Same with documentaries, a lot of tv shows, etc.

It is usually the character of the viewer, not the anime itself that is dictating the anime watcher's life style.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 14:48   Link #56
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour

Nah, not really. I think anime attracts introverted people to begin with so it's like voluntary seculusion. And plus, with the forums, cons, and general RL friends I have I do talk about anime every now and then though.

Plus, I have other rather socially-active hobbies as well (volunteering, swimming, paper, etc.) so it balances out >D
mellomarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-02, 15:13   Link #57
Amon81

For me is lonely, but I like it that way. I've always been a bit bit anti-social I supose, not causing unrest, I've just always liked my own company.

Anime, and J-pop are two things in my life that pretty much stay with me alone. Every now and then I'll lend a dvd to one of my friends as he dosen't mind the odd anime, but he'd never "get" most of it. Theres woman who I work with who sees me as her anime guy, she had been into anime for about a year and hadn't seen much (she didn't even know about manga), I've lent her loads. We have are lunch break at the same time and pretty much talk anime through it. Infact she was very funny when I told her I went to the Ghibli musum when I went to Japan. You could say she is a ghibli fan, I've never seen a person go green with envy before.

Other than that I enjoy it alone.
Amon81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-03, 13:19   Link #58
~ Lawliet ~

Have always thought so, but thankfully there are message boards.
~ Lawliet ~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-03, 20:12   Link #59
Kudryavka

With any hobby, one can choose whether or not they want to share that hobby with others. If one wants to be a lone anime watcher, so be it; if one wants to have anime watching parties, then let it be so.

Personally, I'm alone watching fansubs and anime that aren't well known in my country. But a lot of the people around me are very well versed in anime that are popular in the States, like Bleach and Death Note. When it comes to those things, I'm left out. :P I still talk to them about it, though.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-04, 12:50   Link #60
klowny
OH NO

Lonely, not for me.

I know a couple of people who watch Anime (in real life) but i never discuss it with them because it just seems kinda boring to talk about
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote