AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2005-12-29, 11:17   Link #21
hi no ken Jebus

The art style is very close to the original manga which started around 1993. So it's not like they are using it to be radical or anything.

Spoiler for manga page:
hi no ken Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 20:12   Link #22
Labaamen
Stick'n Run

I like this one better.

Spoiler:
Labaamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 20:28   Link #23
IMSabbel

Well, about the art... i usually like unusual styles, but i have a problem when the style actually works against the story...

During the whole episode, i never got the impression that there was a child doing something extraordinary for his age...
Despite the score of comments from the offscreen narator about the super-duper-great stuff happening, it felt like a 25 year old was playing some slightly older opponents... the whole tension kinda went away----
IMSabbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-04, 21:12   Link #24
noir senshi
Escapist Extraordinaire

I've always enjoyed watching people play Mahjong in dramas and as soon as I heard there was an anime about Mahjong, I quickly went and checked it out. Kudos to Triad for picking this anime up.

I will definately keep watching it till the end.
noir senshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-05, 01:49   Link #25
InitialGT

it's a good show but i don't like mahjong
InitialGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-05, 02:41   Link #26
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialGT
it's a good show but i don't like mahjong
Maybe we were watching different shows. You might have seen a show about mahjong, but I saw a show about human drama involving an old man who giving up on life learning something from a kid who has huge balls of steel.

Oh yeah, there was mahjong there also.

I never had any interest in mahjong before this and if this show had been about the mahjong I would have lost all interest in it. As it is, I am willing to learn about mahjong while watching a good show. This show just happens to have a lot of mahjong mixed in with the drama.

It's like the fighting in a shounen show or the tennis in PoT. The mahjong is the medium for settling conflict and building dramatic tension. It works surprisingly well. I don't even mind that they throw out all these incredible hands constantly, though that might bug me if I played mahjong. The incredible hands are sort of like using a rasengan instead of a normal punch.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-11, 22:11   Link #27
hi no ken Jebus

Wow are people that turned off by the art style? Anyway someone mentioned something about him looking older than he should and that's the anime's/animators' fault.

Spoiler for manga/future episodes:

Anyway saw episode 2 while back and things are getting better by the episode.

Spoiler:
Old 2006-01-12, 13:08   Link #28
Retsoor

Akagi is an unequaled demon in the world of mahjong.

I really like the mood this series creates during the matches with music, and the character voices are such that they don't intrude on that mood. Having first sampled Akagi by a short clip, I was disappointed by Akagi's voice but now I see it's perfect for the cold-blooded bastard that he is.

The art is great, I really enjoy all the character designs, especially the shark-like Urabe's and Ichikawa's, who has a sinister air about him which is nicely complemented by his voice.
Retsoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-15, 20:47   Link #29
eyeshield21

nice gambling anime. gonna keep watching
eyeshield21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-21, 17:47   Link #30
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

Akagi rulez!!

This post's been a while, but I just had to stop and say Akagi is the greatest anime that has been out since Oct 2005! I've watched it til episode 16 so far and I gotta admit it's just awesome. I was really happy to find this post in the forum!!

Akagi is originally a manga created by Fukumoto Nobuyuki,which sold over 4million copies in Japan, and definately one of Fukumoto's popular ones. The author himself is quite famous for his unique drawings(which himself calls 'terrible' :P) and intense dramatic presentations.I've heard that he's majored in psychology,but not sure. But when you read his comics, it's really really powerful,if you know what I mean..unfourtunately none of his works are licensed in North America and what I think the reason is.. that it will be very hard to translate. Fukumoto is really famous in Japan and Korea. If you say 'Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji' most people will go like 'oh!the one with that weird picture!'

When Akagi was announced to be made as an animation,many were worried if the anime can express all what Fukumoto's comics have, but it was just perfect,too good,and it was true. As a fan,I was really overwhelmed on how well it was made. It's made so well that even if don't know Mahjong,it will get you interested.Kudos to director Yuzo Sato.

And plus, don't you think the 20year-old Akagi is a Biseinen? I mean,look at him with his shirt wide open!!:P!!!! Oh,come on gals?don't you think so???I mean,really!
Also Akagi has many female fans,and has some minor popularity in the doujin industry(which is growing since the anime came out), since the only female who actually talks in the manga in an old lady who sells Akagi his cigars.(and no women in the Anime!)
And more..Akagi won Amuro Ray in the 2nd Anime Otoko Sai Moe Tournament which is currently runnung in the Japanese online world. And..phew, I'd really like to go on,but I guess that only makes the readers' eyes go tired.Thanks for reading!
Conclusion: AKAGI FANS,UNITE! (:P)

I really hope Fukumoto's other works will be made into an anime, such as
Spoiler:
,and 'Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji',which gave Fukumoto the 98' Kodansha awards.

Last edited by sukreih; 2007-04-15 at 10:57.
sukreih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-25, 02:07   Link #31
Spike Spiegell

whats the title

hi wondering anybody know the opening soundtrack title of akagi? or know where to get it.
Spike Spiegell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-29, 03:03   Link #32
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegell
hi wondering anybody know the opening soundtrack title of akagi? or know where to get it.
The opening song's title is 'なんとかなれ'(basically meaning que sera sera) by Furuyado(古井戸), all I know is that he's an artist from the 60s or 70s..

Akagi OST was out this 25th. You can pretty much buy it in CD Japan or Amazon Japan. The OP in the CD is the TV size version, so if you want the full-sized version you have to buy Furuyado's album '古井戸の世界',which will be out in Feb 22nd.

The opening is pretty addictive,eh? なんとかなれ~with the bang!
Old 2006-01-31, 14:19   Link #33
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

whops,my mistake. Akagi OST has the FULL version of なんとかなれ,and the EDs are all TV size. My OST just arrived from dhl it's just awesome
Spoiler for Akagi OST image:

Last edited by sukreih; 2006-02-01 at 13:48.
Old 2006-02-11, 21:55   Link #34
SlugZilla
woofles

Episode 19:
Spoiler:

Last edited by SlugZilla; 2006-02-11 at 23:09.
SlugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-11, 23:02   Link #35
hi no ken Jebus

Might want to spoiler tag that buddy just a thought...

Spoiler for ep19:

Spoiler for ep 3:
Old 2006-02-11, 23:16   Link #36
SlugZilla
woofles

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi no ken Jebus
Might want to spoiler tag that buddy just a thought...
Wait, other people actually watch this show?
Quote:
Spoiler for ep19:
Spoiler:
SlugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 19:19   Link #37
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

Episode 19 was awesome.Plus Akagi is so sexy!(hey)
Quote:
Wait, other people actually watch this show?
Slugzilla, Akagi is very popular in Japan!This show's on midnight and has an avg 3.something rating!(I think Parakiss,which was also on the midnight timeslot, scored similar ratings)Plus there was a major increase in Akagi dojin sites since the anime started..so yeah..it's getting some reactions.(especailly from the female fans)
The reason people don't watch Akagi in the English region is 1.Subtitle issues or 2.Fukumoto Nobuyuki's comics are not out in English 3.Not a lot of people know Mahjongg(neither do I)...or so I think.

Spoiler:

This is a big spoiler regarding the topic(by slugzilla Jebus)and above so see at own risk..
Spoiler:

And more of a big spoiler
Spoiler:

Major ultra spoiler for above spoiler
Spoiler:

Last edited by sukreih; 2006-02-12 at 19:50.
Old 2006-02-12, 22:41   Link #38
RainyDZ

Quote:
And plus, don't you think the 20year-old Akagi is a Biseinen? I mean,look at him with his shirt wide open!!:P!!!! Oh,come on gals?don't you think so???I mean,really!
I agree with virtually everything you said, but this little segment is well... still under debate to say the least. The first moment I laid my eyes on Akagi, woa... with his hooked nose and triangular jaws, his looks borders on hideous. The artwork does take some getting used to. However to classify him as bishounen, hahaha, we just have different tastes. ^__^''

But it's a different matter when it comes to his voice. Akagi just has this golden voice: restrained, quiet, yet strangely charming. It's music to my ears.

I haven't played Mahjoing in 6 years, but I enjoyed Akagi immensely! (except the violent part of it, just downright disturbing.) By the way, it totals 26 episodes right?
RainyDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-12, 22:44   Link #39
AnimePlus
Banned

Send a message via AIM to AnimePlus
Everyone's been talking about how the art is good and all but can you hook me up with some screencaps somewhere? Haha. I'm looking for a few new animes to pickup and I'm really drawn to good animation
AnimePlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-13, 00:55   Link #40
sukreih
okusenman!okusenman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyDZ
I agree with virtually everything you said, but this little segment is well... still under debate to say the least. The first moment I laid my eyes on Akagi, woa... with his hooked nose and triangular jaws, his looks borders on hideous. The artwork does take some getting used to. However to classify him as bishounen, hahaha, we just have different tastes. ^__^''
Akagi is a seinen rather than a shonen.He has the looks of a seinen when he's 13 lol(but looks quite cute to me at least) But 13 looks younger than the 19 version.I was actually surprised they had differences.

Even for me, the first time I saw a Fukumoto comic book 6 years ago,I hesitated cuz the pictures were so weird..then my brother kept on insisting me to read it,so I did, and it was just amazing.
And honestly,no one expected to see Fukumoto's characters so 'attractive' until they saw the Akagi anime.(nor they thought it was possible to make his characters into 3D :P)I never once thought Akagi was sexy in the comic book. I guess the reason Akagi looks so sexy to me is because I was used to the comic book pictures beforehand. Plus you have the great artwork and presentations,and yessss,of course Akagi's VOICE!! Dunno, it's true Akagi has lots of female fans on the other side of the seas..Well, it's all about personal taste right ?
And yep,26 episodes.

I love Masato Hagiwara's voice.It suits Akagi perfectly well. Once(since Akagi aired) he was in this Japanese celebrity Mahjogg contest called Warepon(wearing the Akagi T-shirt),and from first round his tiles came out amazingly,winning streak from there..and of course was the top. People were like 'OMG there really is an Akagi!'
For the violance part...I guess that's why this airs past midnight. I understand some people would find it disturbing. Although personally I liked episode 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimePlus
Everyone's been talking about how the art is good and all but can you hook me up with some screencaps somewhere? Haha. I'm looking for a few new animes to pickup and I'm really drawn to good animation
Akagi is a really good animation!! If you don't have language issues(they only have subtitles for Akagi til ep2.) I really recommend Akagi.Here are some screencaps I did some time ago for episode3.Srry it's mainly Akagi,that was the whole point I did the captures.There aren't any major spoiler pics,but just in case:
Spoiler:

And a movie clip of Episode3 if you want to hear Akagi's(and the narrator..who was voiced by Furuya Touru..famous for the voice of Amuro Ray.) voice:
'save target as' as possible

Last edited by sukreih; 2006-02-13 at 01:20.

Tags
drama, gambling, mahjong, seinen