AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

Old 2010-12-02, 00:07   Link #581
Runty

I suppose I could let Nahum and Vario stay, since some fans enjoy them. But I don't plan on giving them as much exposure as characters like, say Melissa or Marion.

I AM NOT, however, keeping Vicky. I don't think anyone is going to complain if I remove her from the story; to those who do complain, I'm sorry, but I just can't stand her. What the heck is a tribal girl doing in a European-style country anyways? It doesn't make sense.
Runty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-02, 00:30   Link #582
DC20

Having watched through a lot of the character story arcs on Youtube, I have to agree with Runty that a lot of the characters were... sub-par, and that if I had my way they wouldn't have been in the game.

That said, I ultimately have to second what Beri and Mr. T have said - I pity the foo' who completely removes characters just for the sake of either not liking them or disagreeing with their ethics. In fact, I see fic writing as a golden opportunity to expand characters you don't like or just plain do not fit into characters that have some sort of redeeming quality not shown in game (because let's be honest, the VC units are all awesome, but they're also all flatter than pancakes) or a back story that takes what their character was and molds it to fit into the setting. I'm not at all opposed to changing aspects of the character to better fit the world or the story that the author is trying to tell -- I ENCOURAGE it, even. I think the essence of what the character represented is more important than the actual details of the character him/herself. I'd strongly encourage you to at least genuinely attempt to fit those characters in if you're going to use the entire class.

Keep in mind though that they don't even really have to be removed from existence even if you don't want to use them. I actually have a bit to say about that in my next "Lone Wulf" review (I'm about half way, so you'll probably be hearing from me by the end of the weekend ). It really depends on what the focus of your story is - is it primarily Alexis, or does it expand out to encompass the entirety of the class? If Alexis is your primary character, and the story is focusing primarily on HER actions, then most of the class really isn't all that important in regards to your story - Alexis is. While she shouldn't be the only developed character, you might actually lose focus if you bring in every single character and delve into their personalities and idiosyncrasies and try to round them out. In that sense I can see the point in not using them - not because they're not liked or because they "don't make sense", but because they don't add anything to the story (if a character doesn't add to a story, cut them - you're wasting words and the reader's time). However, if you DO include all of the characters from the class, then it's going to be a pretty glaring omission if all but three of them are present (especially if they've suddenly been 'replaced' by your own characters).

Check Beri's and Sheriff's posts in "The War Room" about writing VC2 elements into a fic. Their ideas about molding elements to fit the audience/make sense are pretty solid.

Also, keep Nahum. The dude was a player

Last edited by DC20; 2010-12-02 at 00:42.
DC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-02, 11:58   Link #583
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Just a note on Nahum; while that's a Hebrew name, it doesn't nescessarily mean anything - if he's from the Middle East, chances are high that he's from a culture that practices polygamy. Thus, a monogamous relationship would be something of a mild culture shock to him.

And even if he's not Arab, if he's from there he's likely to be Muslim. As stated in the Qur'an, if you're a Muslim, you're allowed to have up to 4 wives, provided that you treat each of them equally and care for them fairly.

The bolded and italicised portion, sadly, is forgotten by most practicing polygamists. >_<

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 23:04   Link #584
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Hmmm. I seemed to have killed VC FF thread. Or maybe I'm too used to Outer Cadia.

Anyway, a snippet of something that I've been working on for some time, that merges a Nanoha fanverse i've been developing and VC.

Spoiler for Snippet:

I believe in miracles.

Old 2010-12-11, 23:28   Link #585
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Anyway, a snippet of something that I've been working on for some time, that merges a Nanoha fanverse i've been developing and VC...
That was interesting (and engaging). One thing I should point out: cutting throats is neither quick nor quiet; if you've got complete surprise on your side, it's much better to drive the blade into the back of the neck, severing the vertebrae at the base of the skull (specifically pointed out in 'Without Remorse').

Which reminds me, I really should try and get back into one of several things sitting on the shelf. In the interim, have this useful aid for character development.
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-12, 04:54   Link #586
DC20

Great link on the character development, Firefly. It's easy to forget - especially when writing the heavy action, war type stories associated with VC - that people don't connect with technical details, they connect to characters. Technical details are great and all, but they won't save a story. Strong characters will.

I've personally never been one to draw out character maps (or care what my characters have in their refrigerators), but details like family, what your characters were doing before the story, who their friends are, what they do for work/fun, etc. are essential to know. If a character map will help you with that (or even knowing what's in their refrigerators), you should write one out.

As for slitting throats, yeah, it's messy and not nearly as quick as one would hope. The base of the skull is a better option if available (though still not necessarily quick - just quieter), but I don't know if it is possible with Imperials. Their helmets cover a good deal of the back of the head - does it extend down to the base of the skull? If so, the throat would be your best bet. It isn't instantaneous, but it's still one of your better options.
Old 2010-12-13, 13:18   Link #587
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
That was interesting (and engaging). One thing I should point out: cutting throats is neither quick nor quiet; if you've got complete surprise on your side, it's much better to drive the blade into the back of the neck, severing the vertebrae at the base of the skull (specifically pointed out in 'Without Remorse').

Which reminds me, I really should try and get back into one of several things sitting on the shelf. In the interim, have this useful aid for character development.
Well, like I said, it's a snippet - drafts and corrections are something I anticipate.

(In my current job, one of my previous assignments was to prepare memos, promo briefings, training manuals and anything you could name that was related to writing output for the office. My boss used to say that I used to give him 6 drafts at first, before managing to bring it down to 2 now. )

Regards the throat cutting, I was thinking more of what I've seen per USMC training on eliminating sentries: Marine covers sentry's mouth, pulls head back, stabs KA-BAR into throat and rips out forward. On the other hand, given the volume of fire that's ongoing, it might actually be possible to pull off suppressed .45 shots, given that .45 ACP is one of the few calibers that retains stopping power while suppressed, though then there's the question of whether the helmet'll stop .45...

Interesting link on charecter development. While I'm not usually the person who writes a charecter map - being, like Terry Prachett, the conduit for the story - I do ask similar questions when forming my charecters, particularly as they evolve through time; Nagant, mentioned above, started as a plain, quiet individual and then slowly morphed into an explosion-happy Demoman who also pursues forlornly his best friend, who sadly does not return his affections, as she prefers girls...

And then Franz Jaeger started out as a hotblooded grunt before tempering the hot blood with some focus, tactics and ruthlessness as he grew older in-universe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC20 View Post
Great link on the character development, Firefly. It's easy to forget - especially when writing the heavy action, war type stories associated with VC - that people don't connect with technical details, they connect to characters. Technical details are great and all, but they won't save a story. Strong characters will.

I've personally never been one to draw out character maps (or care what my characters have in their refrigerators), but details like family, what your characters were doing before the story, who their friends are, what they do for work/fun, etc. are essential to know. If a character map will help you with that (or even knowing what's in their refrigerators), you should write one out.

As for slitting throats, yeah, it's messy and not nearly as quick as one would hope. The base of the skull is a better option if available (though still not necessarily quick - just quieter), but I don't know if it is possible with Imperials. Their helmets cover a good deal of the back of the head - does it extend down to the base of the skull? If so, the throat would be your best bet. It isn't instantaneous, but it's still one of your better options.
To an extent, having on a piece of paper some of the traits of your charecters lets you remain true to them and not flanderise them; a friend of mine, one Solid Shark, once wrote a Gundam SEED fic that was quite well-received, but then only realised after he'd long finished it, that he'd unconsciously flanderised Kira's preference for disabling attacks into a Thou Shalt Not Kill At All policy...

As for the throats... noted. Stab through the neck into the vertebra... though it's Cutting Me Own Throat to admit that.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2010-12-13, 16:03   Link #588
DC20

Yeah, there's a reason the USMC still teaches throat slitting - it works. It's still one of your best options. Vertebrae is best, but cutting a throat is still much quieter than using a suppressed weapon. I used a throat slit in my own fic, and I'll still say it's the best option on Imps period for a "quiet" take-down, what with their armor covering most of their bodies. I doubt that the armor would stop a straight shot (so a .45 would still be a viable option - though even suppressed I'd recommend going for other options if available, since even if the other guards don't hear the gun go off [debatable - a suppressed .45 is still pretty loud], they're probably going to hear the sound of the bullet impacting the helmet and tearing through into the skull), but it would make stabbing through the back of the neck into the base of the skull very difficult at very best. I wouldn't rule slitting throats out of your fic entirely - as said, if it's good enough for the USMC, it's good enough to put in a fic.

Yeah, I agree that if writing traits down on paper helps you keep track of your characters, you should do it. I do it to an extent myself. I don't go heavy into detail, as I feel putting too much concrete trait/characteristics down restricts me, and I prefer a bit more fluidity in my own characters (which isn't going to be true of every writer - some don't feel restricted at all with detail heavy sketches - it's personal preference), but jotting down the core essentials of the character can definitely help keep them on track. That way Kira doesn't become a 5th commandment nazi XD

Bottom line, if it helps you, you should do it. If it doesn't, forget it. All of those things should be kept in mind though, regardless of whether you write them out or not. Knowing about a character is more important than knowing the caliber of the weapon he's carrying.

Last edited by DC20; 2010-12-13 at 16:22.
Old 2010-12-13, 16:50   Link #589
Beri270T3

I realize said character wouldn't be lopping the head off of something with a more robust skeletal structure, but you've still got to know your anatomy pretty well for placement into one of those vertebrae, have an accurate hand and so much as a little movement of the head can affect the placement of your blade when trying to get in there. It's also a pretty good way to wreck your knife if you still need it immediately, but then again so is anything dealing with bone.

Thanks Firefly you've given me goose bumps thinking about that one.

As for suppressed weapons you'd need both the suppressor and subsonic ammunition to get minimal noise. Take a magazine of standard ammunition and you still get the boom.
Beri270T3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-16, 23:42   Link #590
Snowman24

Hey DC20, since you seemed interested in my Nadine fanfiction that I wrote and took down, I'll PM it to you to your fanfiction site name and inbox. Think of it as a Christmas gift of sorts. You said you wanted to read it, so I'll send it to you within the next few minutes.
Snowman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-17, 03:09   Link #591
DC20

Standard .45 ACP loads are subsonic, so the issue of subsonic ammunition wouldn't be an issue if he sticks with the .45 ACP. If he switches to a different round or weapon, though, then that would definately be an issue.

And thanks, Snowman, you're the best!
I'll give that a read as soon as I can. Thanks for the gift : D
Old 2010-12-20, 22:38   Link #592
Runty

So... DC20, you done with LW Chapter 10 yet? (sorry if I sound like a jerk here)

Been making more thoughts on my VC2 fanfic idea, and while I haven't started writing any of it, I have some thoughts on how to make it.
Spoiler for Ideas:
That's just a few things I want to put out for now. As a bonus, however, I'll also bring up a personnel file (of sorts) on one of the V2 aces.
Spoiler for Ekart Jacobs:
Sounds a bit one-dimensional for now, sure, but I'd see to it that Ekart's character would be fleshed out a bit. For now, that's a general gist of what to expect.

Last edited by Runty; 2011-01-24 at 02:31.
Old 2010-12-20, 23:06   Link #593
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runty View Post
Been making more thoughts on my VC2 fanfic idea, and while I haven't started writing any of it, I have some thoughts on how to make it...
Interesting; let me see if I can contribute anything worthwhile on a couple of points...

Quote:
The Einherjar armor's purpose in the story is to give a soldier (i.e. Alexis) the ability to go toe-to-toe with the Artificial Valkyria, without having the need to sacrifice lives in human alteration (as in the process of Project Valhalla). The armor bestows its wearer with superhuman strength and speed, and protects the wearer with an energy shield that will deflect most lighter weapons. The Einherjar armor, in keeping with Cordelia's philosophical views, has no weapons, though the strength it bestows on the wearer is impressive.
I imagine that it is 'officially' classified as engineering/load-moving equipment, and even has the tools for it (much like the P-5000 powerloader of Aliens fame)... unofficially, though, expect to find examples in the field as heavy-weapons platforms shortly after the balloon goes up. Necessity has a nice way of doing that.

Quote:
The V2's, in my story, are going to be made MUCH deadlier than their game counterparts...
Hmmm, Universal Soldier says hi (so might C&C, if ragnite infusion rears its head). This might also come hand-in-hand with use of combat drugs, albeit on a less sophisticated level than you'd see in, say, Shadowrun or Haze.

Quote:
As a bonus, however, I'll also bring up a personnel file (of sorts) on one of the V2 aces...
And the Starcraft nods (as well as ones to C&C3, especially in the area of soundbites) can come thick and fast here, if desired. Advanced armor and Valkyrur energies aside, I suspect the fuel tanks have some sort of punch-off mechanism (even though violent explosions from plinking them are just, as noted, a Hollywoodism). For a secondary weapon I'd suggest - given how this lad like to get stuck in close - a good shotgun, perhaps even a prototype capable of burst fire (the armor can certainly handle the recoil). Field evaluations, recognizing this variant's lack of speed, might result in a 'jump jet' system being added somewhere in the future, granting boosted jumps and short bursts of speed (see: MGS3's Fury).
Old 2010-12-24, 00:50   Link #594
Runty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
I imagine that it is 'officially' classified as engineering/load-moving equipment, and even has the tools for it (much like the P-5000 powerloader of Aliens fame)... unofficially, though, expect to find examples in the field as heavy-weapons platforms shortly after the balloon goes up. Necessity has a nice way of doing that.

And the Starcraft nods (as well as ones to C&C3, especially in the area of soundbites) can come thick and fast here, if desired. Advanced armor and Valkyrur energies aside, I suspect the fuel tanks have some sort of punch-off mechanism (even though violent explosions from plinking them are just, as noted, a Hollywoodism). For a secondary weapon I'd suggest - given how this lad like to get stuck in close - a good shotgun, perhaps even a prototype capable of burst fire (the armor can certainly handle the recoil). Field evaluations, recognizing this variant's lack of speed, might result in a 'jump jet' system being added somewhere in the future, granting boosted jumps and short bursts of speed (see: MGS3's Fury).
I was more imagining the Einherjar armor to be akin to the Mjolnir Mark V Armor of Halo fame, rather than being some kind of exoskeleton armor or power armor.

And we do have to remember, VC and VC2 both take place in the 1930's, so I'd have to limit how technologically advanced the AV armors are. Nothing like computers or such would exist at such a time. So no, the Surtr armor wouldn't be getting jump jets at any point in the story.

That's not to say the idea of jump jets is completely out of the question, however...
Old 2010-12-25, 19:56   Link #595
Firefly00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runty View Post
I was more imagining the Einherjar armor to be akin to the Mjolnir Mark V Armor of Halo fame, rather than being some kind of exoskeleton armor or power armor.
I'd imagined that - again, because of NCA's philosophy, as you'd pointed out, Gallian powered armor research would lag behind the GRA... this, in turn, could set up friction between said authority and folks who've had boots-on-the-ground experience and have a good idea what preparations need to be made.

Quote:
And we do have to remember, VC and VC2 both take place in the 1930's, so I'd have to limit how technologically advanced the AV armors are. Nothing like computers or such would exist at such a time. So no, the Surtr armor wouldn't be getting jump jets at any point in the story.
Aside from MGS3!Fury, a more temporally-fitting reference might be jet packs of the sort seen in The Rocketeer... the bulk of the Surtr armor and its weapons load would limit it to boosted jumps rather than true flight (however, another GRA ace operative might have an armor and weapons loadout light enough for that). Besides, consider the sheer badassery of Ekart leaping onto a tank, ripping off the turret hatch, and flooding the interior with flames...
Old 2010-12-25, 21:55   Link #596
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Well, I'm laying the groundwork for a VC1 fic. I have two paths to choose:

Spoiler for Option 1: OFM:

And then there's option 2:

Spoiler for Option 2: SOE:

I believe in miracles.

Old 2010-12-26, 08:51   Link #597
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Well, I'm laying the groundwork for a VC1 fic. I have two paths to choose:

Spoiler for Option 1: OFM:

And then there's option 2:

Spoiler for Option 2: SOE:
Option 2 sounds interesting. Do number 2. I would love to see what any of the characters from VC1 & VC2 are doing in that fanfic.
Old 2010-12-26, 22:53   Link #598
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Hmmm. Well, in a way, it's like the difference between the Super Robot and Real Robot routes of SRW . OFM route would involve mages who'd initially curbstomp the imps with smart weapons, until the smart weapons ran out of ammo, at which they'd fall back to older weapons - the only commonality would be .50cal and .45ACP; with a dash of Nanoha-verse style beamspamming against Artificial Valkyur.

SOE route would be more cloak and dagger, featuring charecters fictional (Captain Price, Sergeant MacGregor, & Sergeant Davis) and historical (Mad Jack Churchill), with them being limited to what's avaiable.

...which actually does seem a bit more interesting, I suppose...

Spoiler for Mad Jack Churchill:

Still, something that perhaps wasn't made clear - in both routes, Squad 7 will interact with the new casts. VC is still squad 7's story. To an extent though, the OFM route would possibly lead to more curbstomp battles...

Afterall, even if you could stand up to Selvaria one on one...

Spoiler for Uruz 6, Engaging:

Either one has its merits....

I believe in miracles.

Old 2010-12-28, 21:56   Link #599
Snowman24

Finally, Chapter 55 is up for: Adventures in War

I did no less than 15 complete rewrites and dozens, upon dozens of touch ups in the past few months. Trying to get the flow and everything right. Hope you enjoy, now I'm off to read some other peoples fanfics
Snowman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 13:26   Link #600
Runty

A nicely done chapter, Snowman24. Certainly an interesting angle you took.

While I'm here, I thought I might as well post up more stuff relating to the brainstorming I've been doing for my potential VC2 fanfic. Heck, maybe I'll make a sort of preview chapter sometime soon, just to see if people are interested.
Spoiler for Extra Ideas:
That's all I'm thinking of right now without giving off MAJOR spoilers. Comments, please.

Tags
fanfiction