AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-05, 11:32   Link #221
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

http://yamato2199.net/character.html

Character update again. (I imagine there will be more all over that site in the next few days)

Seven more characters.

Mamoru Kodai (Alex Wildstar) - Captain of the Destroyer Yukikaze
Ryu Hijikata (Captain Gideon) - At UNCF Headqarters
Heikuro Todo (EDF Commander Singleton) - At UNCF Headquarters
Kotetsu Serizawa (General Stone) - At UNCF Headquarters <---finally got a Japanese name!
Osamu Yamanami - Captain of the Battleship Kirishima
Analyzer/AU9 (IQ9) - robot, "genius".....lecher
Starsha - Queen of Iscandar
Old 2012-04-05, 13:08   Link #222
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

We finally got a good look at Starsha when she's not dead.

They're putting allot more emphasis into making her seem uncannily graceful. Compared to the human female cast, you get more of a feeling that she probably is an alien of some kind. Her expression is interesting to, making her seem like a strange but ultimately sympathetic character.

We also have more old men. But none of them have the sheer facial hair power that the good ole captain has, so they're probably only going to be of marginal importance

Though I do wonder what Cosmo Force general Kotetsu (Stone) has to do in this kind of situation. The Gamilon are taking the very economical approach and bombing humanity with planet bombs in a war of attrition. Not allot of use for ground pounders in this situation. Though I suppose he could be in charge of ground based planetary defenses and fortifications.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 13:44   Link #223
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

After a little more work I have some more avatars (but not Avatar)

- Science Division Uniform (Female)

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-04-05 at 15:10. Reason: Missed a set.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 13:46   Link #224
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

i guess you dont mind if i change it again

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 13:56   Link #225
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Not at all. Yamato is the star after all. I cleaned them up to be used.

As for General Serizawa (Stone), my guess is that they use to put up a fight on the various colony worlds, both before the Gamilons came and afterwards. They've been at war with the Gamilons for at least eight years (just the planet bombing for eight years), and if the Cosmo Navy has lasted that long, one imagines there have been some altercations with the Gamilons over bases throughout the Solar System.

I mean Earth had to be able to capture Gamilon tech to the point they could almost duplicate for at least the weapons systems in even a retrofit fleet they sent to Pluto.

As for the idea of the First Fleet stopping the Gamilons at Earth. Judging by the surface of the planet...they aren't really able to stop the planet bombs. Though they must have been able to provide more that token resistance if they are still around after eight or more years of fighting and eight years of planet bombing.
Old 2012-04-05, 18:47   Link #226
calubin_175

According to Starsha's profile, 1 year ago (2188), she sent to Earth her youngest sister Yurisha to deliver the plans for the wave motion engine. A year after that, she sends Sasha to deliver the wave motion engine core, a component that could not be built on Earth.

Most likely Yurisha's dead as well.

Compared to the original 1973 version, in 2199, they depicted Sasha's death with her resting in the capsule, like a coffin, as opposed to attempting to get out and collapsing, assuming that she might have sustained some injuries before.

I got into the original Yamato back in early 2010 along with every other Leiji Matsumoto production. Glad that it is reviving after two mediocre modern films, Fukkatsu Hen and the live action.

Funny thing is, much like back in the 70s, they still never gave names for the classes of ships on the EDF side. They've only listed the Kirishima, Murasame and Yukikaze as specific ships of their respective lines. On the other hand, the Gamilus side actually have names for their classes.

Many of the older descriptions didn't have a class name, it was just simply Battleship(Senkan), Cruiser(Junyoukan) and Destroyer(Kuchikkan), and some of the one-off appearance ships were named after their captian. So Okita's unique ship onscreen at the Battle of Pluto was just called Okita's ship. Similarly, Gamilus Admiral Schultz had a unique ship back then and it was just called the Schultz ship, now in 2199 it is classed as a Dreadnought. Back in the Playstation games it was a Battleship Class.

Last edited by calubin_175; 2012-04-05 at 18:59.
calubin_175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-05, 18:54   Link #227
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

In the original pilot for the 1974 version of the show, they show what happened to Sasha when her capsule landed. It landed hard and spun like a top. During this the hatch opened and flung her out (possibly the door ripping across her back as she left). She likely died from the impact. If not she was unconscious and sufficated before Kodai and Shima found her.

Pilot episode = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyjza0fwbjc (We've come a long ways since 1974)

However having yet another sister is new. Also having the plans eariler is also new.

However Earth must have figured out to make more Wave Motion Engines afterward...or else they wouldn't have a wave motion gun equipped fleet in 2201.

(Well a Dreadnought is just another name for a Battleship...it just usually implies that it is bigger than the normal battleships. Based off the HMS Dreadnought that revolutionized naval warfare and made all prior battleships obsolete...including all the many, many British Battleships, and thus allowing everyone else to catch up....opps. Yamato herself was a several generations of design beyond a classic Dreadnought.)

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-04-05 at 19:50. Reason: Added link to the Pilot.
Old 2012-04-06, 02:06   Link #228
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Now with subtitles:
(Both in English and Portuguese)
(You have to turn on the Close Captioning)

(Hurry Star Force. There is only 1 day left....)
Old 2012-04-06, 02:18   Link #229
calubin_175

There are some spoilers from this website originating from production documents.

http://blogiscandar.project2199.com/...g-post_31.html

The document was actually auctioned for 5000yen
http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m99428387

Spoiler for On Yurisha:

Last edited by calubin_175; 2012-04-06 at 02:32.
calubin_175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 06:58   Link #230
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
As for General Serizawa (Stone), my guess is that they use to put up a fight on the various colony worlds, both before the Gamilons came and afterwards. They've been at war with the Gamilons for at least eight years (just the planet bombing for eight years), and if the Cosmo Navy has lasted that long, one imagines there have been some altercations with the Gamilons over bases throughout the Solar System.
Indeed. Though it's probably easier to drop a planet bomb on a human colony than it is to drop a marine regiment on it. It's also more effective/less risky. If I recall correctly the Gamilon didn't have that huge of a tech advantage when it came to their ground based forces.

Quote:
In the original pilot for the 1974 version of the show, they show what happened to Sasha when her capsule landed. It landed hard and spun like a top. During this the hatch opened and flung her out (possibly the door ripping across her back as she left). She likely died from the impact. If not she was unconscious and sufficated before Kodai and Shima found her.

Pilot episode = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyjza0fwbjc (We've come a long ways since 1974)

However having yet another sister is new. Also having the plans eariler is also new.

However Earth must have figured out to make more Wave Motion Engines afterward...or else they wouldn't have a wave motion gun equipped fleet in 2201.
I guess they figured that it'd be unbelievable for Cosmo Navy to have only gotten the plans to the Wave motion engine upon Sasha's arrival and been able to make a radical new ship design in that short of a time frame.
Old 2012-04-06, 08:09   Link #231
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

The more I read this thread and watch the videos, the more excited I am about this release.

Endless "" Soul
Old 2012-04-06, 10:33   Link #232
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

To be fair, dreadnaught sounds a WHOLE lot more menacing than just battleship.
Old 2012-04-06, 14:13   Link #233
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It was an interesting first episode. Not all that much changed from 1974 to 2012 in terms of the story. Just details and perhaps motivations that make more sense in this day and age.

Spoiler for Plot 'Summary' for Episode One:

All the important musical parts are still there. The voices seem fine. The acting is slightly different, but then it has been almost 40 years and the producers today are different from those back then. Less weight from World War II and the Occupation on their shoulders.

Somehow, in listening to the song onboard the Yukikaze, I get the impression I've heard those voices before. They sound like voices from the original show. I wonder if anyone has information of the actors that played the Yukikaze's crew?

What I am wonderng about and what probably won't happen for a few more episodes, is how the cast will handle the character interactions. Especially the new people that really don't have a previous version to model off. But also the Gamilons...as we've not seen once yet that wasn't in a plane or a spaceship.

(Rina Sato is using her Haruka Minami voice for the nurse. I approve of this)

(There was no OP for this episode that I could see. I suppose the OP would be rather spoiler heavy. More so that the show's title.)

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-04-06 at 16:01. Reason: Details and spelling
Old 2012-04-07, 04:06   Link #234
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by calubin_175 View Post
Funny thing is, much like back in the 70s, they still never gave names for the classes of ships on the EDF side. They've only listed the Kirishima, Murasame and Yukikaze as specific ships of their respective lines.
Actually, they have given them distinctive classes: The Kirishima is a Kongo Class Battleship; the Murasame is a Murasame Class Armored Cruiser; and the Yukikaze is a Isokaze Class Attack Destroyer.

Hope this helps!
Old 2012-04-07, 04:11   Link #235
August138

A friend of mine — a fellow San Francisco resident — was just in Tokyo (coming back today), went to see the film yesterday, and picked up a copy of the theater exclusive BD for me! Soon, it will be in my evil clutches! Bwa-hahahahahahaha!

Old 2012-04-07, 07:32   Link #236
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

So what, that's the first two episodes?
Old 2012-04-07, 07:42   Link #237
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Here's the 2199 OP storyboarded by Anno: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/1333792094

I'm not really impressed...
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 08:08   Link #238
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Here's the 2199 OP storyboarded by Anno: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/1333792094

I'm not really impressed...
very old school-ish. it look like beta

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-07, 08:12   Link #239
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Further thought on the Yamato being increased in size. You think that might be because due to using CGI models, they've become more aware of size discrepancies?

Like you make the CGI model for the Yamato...and then you realize the old bridge layout was much more massive than the bridge on the old ship. So you shrink the bridge down, then you realize it still doesn't match up. So you end up increasing the size of the ship to compensate.

Quote:
Not at all. Yamato is the star after all. I cleaned them up to be used.

I mean Earth had to be able to capture Gamilon tech to the point they could almost duplicate for at least the weapons systems in even a retrofit fleet they sent to Pluto.

As for the idea of the First Fleet stopping the Gamilons at Earth. Judging by the surface of the planet...they aren't really able to stop the planet bombs. Though they must have been able to provide more that token resistance if they are still around after eight or more years of fighting and eight years of planet bombing.
Yeah, given the quality and numerical difference between the Cosmo Navy and the Gamilons at pluto, I'm guessing that the total fleet is much larger, but are being kept hidden in fortified docks on earth to keep the Gamilon from getting exact force estimates.

Heck, maybe the army has missle batteries hidden all over the planet that nailed the Gamilons the last time they tried to send an invasion fleet directly over earth. Hence the Gamilons current long term siege approach to their campaign.
Old 2012-04-07, 11:45   Link #240
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That is more or less the orignal OP, just updated a little and with a few crew scenes instead of a generic shot of Yamato taking off in the middle.

As seen here:

I would point out that the two Star Blazers' Openings and Ending were much more interesting...visually.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-05-11 at 19:16.

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato