AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

Old 2011-01-07, 04:59   Link #621
DC20

Sleep is overrated anyway. Send it my way. Also, did you have any particular question regarding the preview, or anything in particular you wanted input on?

PS - I'm halfway through your AiW update right now : D
DC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 00:17   Link #622
Snowman24

Lol, I added a new one-hit Fanfic over at the fanfiction site. It's one about Marina Wulfstan, so all you Marina fans, head on over :P

It'll be in a thread titled; Snowmans, One hit fanfic stop!
Snowman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-15, 09:56   Link #623
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Another short fic from me on Marina. Hope you guys like it.

Spoiler for fic.:
Old 2011-01-15, 13:00   Link #624
ghazghkull
The Dang-meister

Send a message via MSN to ghazghkull Send a message via Yahoo to ghazghkull
Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post

Spoiler for fic.:
Nice. Very nice :3

I like your take on Marina. Wish I could say more, but all I can say was that it was an enjoyable read
ghazghkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 00:30   Link #625
Runty

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post

Spoiler for fic.:
Wow, why didn't I have a moment like this in Lone Wulf? Would've been a GREAT moment to showcase the relationship (of sorts) between Marina and Isara.

*starts thinking of a way to fit it into remaining chapters*
Runty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 09:32   Link #626
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Glad you guys liked it. I've always wanted to have an origins story for her, and it's easy to go all emo and angsty when it comes to Marina. So, I hoped that I have a good mix here.

Last edited by yezhanquan; 2011-01-18 at 06:09.
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-18, 06:09   Link #627
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Yet another fic on Marina.

Spoiler for fic:
Old 2011-01-18, 15:51   Link #628
Snowman24

You should post these over at the fanfiction site, all of us authors here post there :P
Old 2011-01-18, 21:09   Link #629
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I guess I will, after I wake up later in the day. Work, work....
Old 2011-01-24, 13:19   Link #630
Runty

Coming up with all the ideas and details needed for a VC2 fanfic is trickier than I thought. There are so many details that need to be planned to prevent myself from "jumping the shark" or something similar. And then there's script stuff that needs to be done and... you get the picture. If I end up starting this VC2 fanfic, it's going to take a while to finish.

Still, as long as I'm on the subject, I might as well add a few more details on what I might add into the story.
Spoiler for White Knight: More details:
That's all I'm going to list for the moment.
Old 2011-01-24, 19:49   Link #631
Snowman24

^Well, I've got my work cutout for me. I'm going to have Valkyria Chronicles II in my hands on Saturday and I'll have to marathon it if I want to understand this fanfic taht you're coming up with... I hate being so far behind everyone else
Old 2011-01-24, 20:38   Link #632
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Location: I'm not gone! I'm where you either use a slingshot or a gun!
Actually, seeing as how a tank platoon only consists of four vehicles, depending on what said vehicles are that could be fairly easy.

Also note that "Tank Squad = One Tank" (Three-Five men per vehicle).

*Pictures the note about Sophia* Yeah, I could totally see that happening.
RedShocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-24, 21:56   Link #633
Runty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShocktrooper View Post
Actually, seeing as how a tank platoon only consists of four vehicles, depending on what said vehicles are that could be fairly easy.

Also note that "Tank Squad = One Tank" (Three-Five men per vehicle).

*Pictures the note about Sophia* Yeah, I could totally see that happening.
I'm not overly familiar with military designations, so forgive me for my error. What I meant was something around 20-ish tanks; I don't know the designation for it.
Old 2011-01-25, 02:39   Link #634
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Location: I'm not gone! I'm where you either use a slingshot or a gun!
That would be a tank company, If memory serves.
RedShocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-26, 12:34   Link #635
Beri270T3

Armoured Troops (Platoons) have consisted of a greater number of vehicles in times of war and in various armies and in modern organization have been downsized more. It also depends on the purpose of the units. Recce for example.

Squadrons (Companies) were also bigger and at times were also much smaller than twenty or so. Plus they often had a fair number of support vehicles. Of course that depends on the army. And well you know how things work. It's never perfect and half the time you never have what you have on paper.

Designation for various Armoured units vary from country to country, and even from whether the Armoured unit was formerly a Cavalry or Infantry unit.
Beri270T3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 14:27   Link #636
Runty

I guess the terminology varies. Well, for said bit of information, I meant that Class G wouldn't be pitted alone against 10 or more tanks if Lanseal's commanders could help it; they'd send more squads with them.

And as long as we're on the subject of armored vehicles, I'm going to add a (tentative) profile on one of the AV Aces.
Spoiler for Caius Cosades:
This information is subject to change, just to note, but it's a general idea of what I want to put in. And for the record, I highly based the Golem armor off the Protoss Immortal from Starcraft 2.
Old 2011-02-03, 11:04   Link #637
Snowman24

Just a question, I've been writing "Adventures in War" sticking strictly to what happened in the game, every event, up till Naggiar has played out exactly how it happened in the game. Just through the eyes of my characters and the rest of the squad, not really Welkin+The main cast in the video game.

Now my question is, should I step off the path that the game followed and come up with my own stuff now. Let's say something different happens to Selvaria, Jaeger or something like that. Or is the story already enjoyable enough the way it is, sticking strictly to how events played out in the game *for the most part*
Old 2011-02-03, 14:32   Link #638
Runty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman24 View Post
Just a question, I've been writing "Adventures in War" sticking strictly to what happened in the game, every event, up till Naggiar has played out exactly how it happened in the game. Just through the eyes of my characters and the rest of the squad, not really Welkin+The main cast in the video game.

Now my question is, should I step off the path that the game followed and come up with my own stuff now. Let's say something different happens to Selvaria, Jaeger or something like that. Or is the story already enjoyable enough the way it is, sticking strictly to how events played out in the game *for the most part*
Stick to the original events as best you can. Selvaria's death was a pretty important aspect of her character, and I don't enjoy fanfics that have her live instead, TBH.

I took a liberty with Jaeger in Lone Wulf, but I still managed to make his fate somewhat ambiguous. Still, try not to do something such as having Selvaria and Jaeger join the Gallians in their fight; that just wouldn't work, IMO.
Old 2011-02-03, 14:54   Link #639
DC20

Yeah, I prefer it when writers keep canon intact as much as possible within their stories. Some very minor changes don't really bother me, but when a story makes a huge departure I start losing interest.

That said, I also find it boring when a story is just a retelling of canon. If I wanted to see the story again, I'd throw the disc in and play the game.

There are plenty of ways to keep canon without retelling the story, though. Just one way of doing it, but here's what I do, if it could help you out - keep everything shown in game canon, but just don't show much of anything that was in the game. The game did a far better job of telling that than I ever could, and, while I don't want to knock anybody's writing, I'd probably rather just play through the game to see those events than read it through someone's fic. Just don't really mention the game stuff. If you're using the side characters that's really easy. Tell what they do during the battles. Also, don't just stick like glue to the battles that were shown in the game. It was implied that Squad 7 was fighting other battles than just the ones shown (for example, I think Naggiar lasted at least two weeks or longer, if I remember - there were surely times where they were fighting other than that single first charge with Selvaria and the incident with the flame tanks). Also, how important is what happens with the canon's main characters (Welkin, Alicia, Largo, etc.) to your story? You can tell a story without falling back on what they're up to. For example, using the word search function on my longest story (250k words >.>), the word "Welkin" shows up less than about thirty times, "Alicia" probably less than ten, and "Largo" maybe once or twice. I don't use OCs - the only characters that are given POV are the game's Squad members. You may not want to distance yourself that far from what the main cast is doing, but you can tell a functional VC story that keeps canon and follows only Squad 7 without constantly referring back to what that group is doing and what is going on in canon.

You're a resourceful guy - however you want to do it, I'm sure you'll find a way. Bottom line, I prefer that people don't do too much tweaking of the canon, but I dislike stories that stick too closely to what happened in the game.
DC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-03, 18:25   Link #640
Runty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC20 View Post
Yeah, I prefer it when writers keep canon intact as much as possible within their stories. Some very minor changes don't really bother me, but when a story makes a huge departure I start losing interest.

That said, I also find it boring when a story is just a retelling of canon. If I wanted to see the story again, I'd throw the disc in and play the game.

There are plenty of ways to keep canon without retelling the story, though. Just one way of doing it, but here's what I do, if it could help you out - keep everything shown in game canon, but just don't show much of anything that was in the game. The game did a far better job of telling that than I ever could, and, while I don't want to knock anybody's writing, I'd probably rather just play through the game to see those events than read it through someone's fic. Just don't really mention the game stuff. If you're using the side characters that's really easy. Tell what they do during the battles. Also, don't just stick like glue to the battles that were shown in the game. It was implied that Squad 7 was fighting other battles than just the ones shown (for example, I think Naggiar lasted at least two weeks or longer, if I remember - there were surely times where they were fighting other than that single first charge with Selvaria and the incident with the flame tanks). Also, how important is what happens with the canon's main characters (Welkin, Alicia, Largo, etc.) to your story? You can tell a story without falling back on what they're up to. For example, using the word search function on my longest story (250k words >.>), the word "Welkin" shows up less than about thirty times, "Alicia" probably less than ten, and "Largo" maybe once or twice. I don't use OCs - the only characters that are given POV are the game's Squad members. You may not want to distance yourself that far from what the main cast is doing, but you can tell a functional VC story that keeps canon and follows only Squad 7 without constantly referring back to what that group is doing and what is going on in canon.

You're a resourceful guy - however you want to do it, I'm sure you'll find a way. Bottom line, I prefer that people don't do too much tweaking of the canon, but I dislike stories that stick too closely to what happened in the game.
Very true, DC20. If you guys remember reading Lone Wulf's 8th chapter, you'll remember all the liberties I took when making it; I made a blend of the game, the anime, and some of my own original bits, while keeping the essentials in. Same thing with my 10th chapter (which, by the way, DC20, you haven't reviewed yet ). The whole thing requires a delicate touch to get it right; do too much, and you might put off some die hard fans. Do too little, and it'll seem like you copied the game.

On another note, as long as I'm here, I thought I might as well put up another character profile for my potential VC2 fic (which is still in the brainstorming stage).
Spoiler for Nero:
Yes, more Starcraft 2 references; this time, it's to the Terran Reaper. Gotta love those guys, though; they're awesome.

Tags
fanfiction