AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-03-13, 12:54   Link #2941
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
One more thing, Hikari's character took major steps back in this episode. How childish.
Really? I had the exact opposite impression. He really seem like he had an epiphany when he implied that he truly valued Manaka being happy and being herself over everything else. In past episodes it always looked like it was an excuse to keep himself from thinking and keep himself busy. In this episode I felt for the first time that he was expressing selfless love.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-13, 12:56   Link #2942
kresslia
I dunno what to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Really? I had the exact opposite impression. He really seem like he had an epiphany when he implied that he truly valued Manaka being happy and being herself over everything else. In past episodes it always looked like it was an excuse to keep himself from thinking and keep himself busy. In this episode I felt for the first time that he was expressing selfless love.
Yes, that's good. I'm referring to his meeting with Tsumugu and how he got physical with him.
kresslia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-13, 12:58   Link #2943
Fjoergyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
My bad that was a typo. I meant to say type Tsumugu. and it is now fixed
She doesn't even friendzone Kaname. She ignores him

If she has any romantic passion for him, she's masking it incredibly well. To me it seems like a sibling relationship at best, and a rebound relationship at worst
To be fair, it can work.. if they give ANOTHER 5 years at it. But right now..nope.

But yes, I think this will give her some thought for the better or worse.
And Kaname will also add his opinion (and maybe his own confession on top of that) next week.
Again, for the better or worse.

Chisaki you never replied to Kaname about the confession, so let's see what happens

The point is Chisaki she does not know what he wants, always seems regretting not having hibernated so his character does not give it much importance xD
Fjoergyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-13, 12:58   Link #2944
anonfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kresslia View Post
Remember, Manaka also ran away from Hikari when she found out he loved her, though I'd say by that point she had feelings for him deep inside too.

This could go either way. I will say though that I think it's more likely that she sits on his confession to consider it. The chances of Tsumugu/Chisaki went up this episode imo
That is such a valid point I overlooked. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
I wonder if Hikari ever grows tired of having to dive into the sea to rescue one of his friends every three weeks. He'd make a good lifeguard.
Also valid. He should be a lifeguard.

Quote:
My bad that was a typo. I meant to say type Tsumugu. and it is now fixed
She doesn't even friendzone Kaname. She ignores him

If she has any romantic passion for him, she's masking it incredibly well. To me it seems like a sibling relationship at best, and a rebound relationship at worst
To be fair, it can work.. if they give ANOTHER 5 years at it. But right now..nope.

But yes, I think this will give her some thought for the better or worse.
And Kaname will also add his opinion (and maybe his own confession on top of that) next week.
Again, for the better or worse.
Ah okay. damn typo's. Anyway I disagree by logic of me being wrong before. Initially, I shipped Manaka with Tsuguma. I thought Hikari and Manaka were too much like brother and sister to take it too seriously. I thought Hikari was too much and Manaka should have a chance to grow however she wants. Now it seems like that was jumping the gun and it did develop where they can be considered the Valid OTP, but initially, I had the same exact problem with them that you have with Chisaki and Tsugumu.

So I just flat out disagree with them needing another 5 years. I think Chisaki has been masking it well, like it's something that she held in the back of her mind and never let out, never let herself consider it consciously, something she purposefully held back on. Now that it's all front and center I really want to see how she deals with it.

Quote:
Yes, that's good. I'm referring to his meeting with Tsumugu and how he got physical with him.
I agree. It was kind of awesome to see how Tsugumu handled him though. Hikari was so shocked.
anonfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-13, 13:09   Link #2945
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonfr View Post
That is such a valid point I overlooked. Thank you.

Also valid. He should be a lifeguard.

Ah okay. damn typo's. Anyway I disagree by logic of me being wrong before. Initially, I shipped Manaka with Tsuguma. I thought Hikari and Manaka were too much like brother and sister to take it too seriously. I thought Hikari was too much and Manaka should have a chance to grow however she wants. Now it seems like that was jumping the gun and it did develop where they can be considered the Valid OTP, but initially, I had the same exact problem with them that you have with Chisaki and Tsugumu.

So I just flat out disagree with them needing another 5 years. I think Chisaki has been masking it well, like it's something that she held in the back of her mind and never let out, never let herself consider it consciously, something she purposefully held back on. Now that it's all front and center I really want to see how she deals with it.

I agree. It was kind of awesome to see how Tsugumu handled him though. Hikari was so shocked.
Manaka showed romantic interest towards Hikari in the first half. It's just that she was more interested in Tsumugu.

Chisaki, from what I've seen, hasn't shown such towards Tsumugu. It's as the cab driver said. She's being "unfair" towards him. (not really). She wants him close for emotional support because she's lonely, but she does not love him that way.

She did had a lot of issues, though. Those 5 years were not easy on her. But now that the gang is assembled once more, the very first things she does is admit that she still likes Hikari. Remember, Tsumugu himself said that time did not move those 5 years. It can only move again now that the sea folk have returned. So yes, they really need 5 more years.
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-13, 13:12   Link #2946
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
I think the fact that Chisaki is seen running into her house during the Next Episode preview might be a hint that she feels the same way as Tsumugu, and that his confession goes well. If she turned him down, she'd probably be too depressed to have that sort of energy.
If she accepted at this stage it would be downright terrible. Without any real development from "I'm still in love with Hikari!" to accepting Tsumugu? Nope, something in between is needed. She first has to deal with the Hikari issue, even if she has romantic feelings for Tsumugu. Accepting him outright would either signify that she only does that in order not to ruin their relationship or that he is a replacement for / shares his place with Hikari.
Old 2014-03-13, 13:15   Link #2947
Zangor17

looks like miuna is gonna learn how she can help manaka get her feelings back in next weeks episode. setting us up for the finale at least thats one thing i got from the episode 24 preview.
once again i have to wait a week to watch more of this.
Zangor17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-13, 13:23   Link #2948
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
New crack pairing: Manaka x Miuna. I'm totally behind that!
So that is what's behind that Miuna / Manaka frame in the updated opening.

Well, I do hope that Miuna's desire to help out Manaka and Hikari doesn't end up with her becoming the ojoshi-sama for that single reason.
Old 2014-03-13, 13:24   Link #2949
anonfr

Quote:
Manaka showed romantic interest towards Hikari in the first half. It's just that she was more interested in Tsumugu.

Chisaki, from what I've seen, hasn't shown such towards Tsumugu. It's as the cab driver said. She's being "unfair" towards him. (not really). She wants him close for emotional support because she's lonely, but she does not love him that way.

She did had a lot of issues, though. Those 5 years were not easy on her. But now that the gang is assembled once more, the very first things she does is admit that she still likes Hikari. Remember, Tsumugu himself said that time did not move those 5 years. It can only move again now that the sea folk have returned. So yes, they really need 5 more years.
I disagree that it needs 5 years. Flat out disagree.

What Cab driver? Sayama?
anonfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-13, 13:31   Link #2950
Raine721

I doubt she'll give an answer right away, she'll tell him she needs more time or that she's still in love with Hikari. He'll be going back to school and she'll tell him right before he goes.
Raine721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-13, 13:56   Link #2951
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah, I think Chisaki will just take some time in the next episode to clear up her feelings. Maybe deal with Kaname and then give some proper response. I don't think it necessarily needs a long time for Chisaki to make a call. Something dramatic was needed to shake up the status quo with Tsumugu and Chisaki and certainly the good old unintentional confession was it. Maybe a chance for Tsumugu to really express himself to Chisaki in the village will be a good way for her to consider her own situation better.

Was kind of nice for Tsumugu to just own Hikari there. Hikari does like to just blindly charge when he's angry and finally someone just easily handled him. Not that I can't see where Hikari was coming from and what he was hoping to accomplish, but was still nice that for once he couldn't just attack someone .

Seems like a lot of chaos is going to happen and that's nice. I'm actually really liking Sayu's character who is just going to just bypass all the nonsense and go for it. Having grown enough to be willing to rip into Kaname as well when she feels he's being an idiot.
Old 2014-03-13, 14:01   Link #2952
Raine721

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Yeah, I think Chisaki will just take some time in the next episode to clear up her feelings. Maybe deal with Kaname and then give some proper response. I don't think it necessarily needs a long time for Chisaki to make a call. Something dramatic was needed to shake up the status quo with Tsumugu and Chisaki and certainly the good old unintentional confession was it. Maybe a chance for Tsumugu to really express himself to Chisaki in the village will be a good way for her to consider her own situation better.

Was kind of nice for Tsumugu to just own Hikari there. Hikari does like to just blindly charge when he's angry and finally someone just easily handled him. Not that I can't see where Hikari was coming from and what he was hoping to accomplish, but was still nice that for once he couldn't just attack someone .

Seems like a lot of chaos is going to happen and that's nice. I'm actually really liking Sayu's character who is just going to just bypass all the nonsense and go for it. Having grown enough to be willing to rip into Kaname as well when she feels he's being an idiot.
Lol that whole fight scene, Tsumugu knows taichi??? He looked cool dodging the first collar grab though I have to admit.
Old 2014-03-13, 14:01   Link #2953
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
It was cute when she told Hikari that she is the only one who's allowed to call him an idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine721 View Post
Lol that whole fight scene, Tsumugu knows taichi??? He looked cool dodging the first collar grab though I have to admit.
Well, 14 vs. 19 years old is kind of unfair unless the 14 year old is a physical freak or ahead in his development.
Old 2014-03-13, 14:02   Link #2954
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Another very good ep - I was also very happy for Tsumugu to receive ena, tho I had expected it every since Miuna "blazed the trail" in that regard. Also happy to see Chisaki finally aware (aware in such a way that she cannot fool herself) of where Tsumugu actually stands. Maybe now she can move forward; something she badly needs in my opinion.

Hikari finally showed signs of beginning to shake off his being stuck as well, but only small signs. He sort of flopped back and forth a lot in this ep - although as another person posted, it is kinda understandable. He is 14, after all.

But I think there may be something else going on with Hikari that Uroko-sama pricked, and that is that Hikari is a "doer" and a "fixer". It is very hard for him to not be able to do something he feels needs to be done. In some ways this may be both a big strength (or even a charm point) and a big weakness. For him when that is combined with the general, natural tendency to similar things that often come with the teen years it manifests in larger than usual proportions.

In other words? He has a higher % hardwiring for idealism than most, perhaps. Anyway just a thought - mostly a musing on his emotional volatility, maybe.

That being said, while part of me can understand why Chisaki, Miuna and perhaps Manaka might be attracted to that I still kinda feel they all deserve something else. I think Hikari needs a much stronger woman to balance him out, and by strength I do not mean dominating or whatever - I mean a very stable, steady and principled woman of great inner strength. None of the female leads at present strike me as that kind.

Result? Hikari should marry, but as far as the series conclusion goes he should remain single as far as I am concerned.

But who knows? Sometimes life events can help to smooth out the rough parts of one's personality and help one to gain a healthy modesty and even humility?
Old 2014-03-13, 14:54   Link #2955
Moeterum

Grrrrrrrrr... this show. Every thime it has something smart, ballsy and insightful about love it just have to take it RIGHT BACK doesn't it?

Like what Sayu said about not loving the same guy forever and that you could even end up with someone you don't love just not to be alone but NO she just had to take it right back. And this. Not being able to fall in love with someone may not be such a bad thing. But NO it had to take that back too... Damn this show. Damn Okada
Moeterum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-13, 14:54   Link #2956
areyoubaka

Is it a bad thing that I'm more interested in Sayu's confession to Kaname than
Spoiler for episode spoilers:
Old 2014-03-13, 15:01   Link #2957
kido22

can not finish that ends with kaname, there is also sayu.
kido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-13, 15:03   Link #2958
kresslia
I dunno what to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
I think Hikari needs a much stronger woman to balance him out, and by strength I do not mean dominating or whatever - I mean a very stable, steady and principled woman of great inner strength. None of the female leads at present strike me as that kind.
That's a good point. I've been wondering why, despite liking Hikari's character, I can't get into any romantic pairing with him. You nailed it here. There's no, hm, balance, you could say.

There's a line from this episode that stuck out for me after a rewatch that I'm surprised nobody mentioned. Chisaki after jumping in the ocean: "I'm scared to be alone in Shishio. Or is it..." Hmmmm.
kresslia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-13, 15:11   Link #2959
Raine721

Quote:
That's a good point. I've been wondering why, despite liking Hikari's character, I can't get into any romantic pairing with him. You nailed it here. There's no, hm, balance, you could say.

There's a line from this episode that stuck out for me after a rewatch that I'm surprised nobody mentioned. Chisaki after jumping in the ocean: "I'm scared to be alone in Shishio. Or is it..." Hmmmm.
Isn't that's how harem works? We don't exactly know why women are so attracted to them lol.
Old 2014-03-13, 15:27   Link #2960
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine721 View Post
Isn't that's how harem works? We don't exactly know why women are so attracted to them lol.
Sometimes.

But in this case it seems to me there IS a reason, and that is Hikari's near-relentless idealism. Many people find that quality in others very attractive.

It is quite different than a weak, milquetoast male lead who is often portrayed as having no spine, lets everyone physically abuse him and only has "long suffering" and "gentleness" and "kindness" as qualities in support of justifying the attraction.

IRL idealism such as Hikari is shown to emit is far more "realistic" as a grounds for several people of the opposite sex to show interest in one male - at least in my opinion.

Also note that in often (not always) in many harem series the male lead leaves the females hanging, and hanging because he has not deliberately made a choice in a specific direction.

This is absolutely not so with Hikari in Asakura. Hikari's romantic attention and affection is squarely on Manaka, and it has been for quite some time. One of the recurring themes in Asakura is unrequited love, and in Hikari's case it takes place in Chisaki and Miuna precisely because he is so focused on Manaka.

One could say by the external fact that there are multiple people interested in Hikari that Asakura has "harem'ish" elements, but to go any further than that would be incorrect in my opinion.

Tags
drama, harem, love polygon, mari okada, p.a. works, romance, seinen