AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2020-07-30, 00:15   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 986 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

How's it going, guys? It's finally that time again! Credit goes to Redon and co. from AP for the info:

-Chapter title is "My Name". In the ministory, Lola and Chiffon leave behind Pound, as neither sister believes him to be their father (poor guy.... ).

-Outside the castle, Kinemon and Denjirou catch up with the other Scabbards at the back entrance. There they see Kanjurou, who appears to have been slain by Kiku. The samurai briefly mourn the man they once considered their bosom companion, before they continue on with their mission. On the way inside, both Kinemon and Denjirou are also surprised to see Izou has joined them.

-Back at the banquet, Kaidou once again asks Orochi's subordinates where their loyalties lie. Immediately, the respective leaders of the Oniwabanshu (Fukurokuju) and Mimawarigumi (whose name is revealed to be Hotei) swear their allegiance to the emperor, claiming they were never truly loyal to the shogun to begin with! Both their armies are 5000-men strong. Kaidou then turns his attention to Momonosuke, saying he still finds it hard to believe that the boy is the son of Oden. He then asks Momo the same question he asked him twenty years ago: What's your name? Kaidou offers to spare the boy's life if he denies his relation to the legendary samurai.....

-Back to Luffy and Yamato, the former removes the latter's handcuffs and tosses them aside, in case they truly are explosive. During this time, some of the enemy pirates contact Ulti and Who's Who of the Tobi Roppou, informing them that Yamato's headed towards the stage with Luffy. The elite officers begin their pursuit, as well (curiously, Page One doesn't seem to be with his sister). Usopp and Chopper accompany the Scabbards as they make their way to the stage, as well. Law seems to be somewhere else in the castle, while Zoro and Kid are still dealing with the Gifters. Back on the stage, Momo answers Kaidou's question: His name is Kouzuki Momonosuke, son of Oden, and future shogun of Wano! As he answers, he briefly flashes back to his parents. Kaidou then prepares to execute the child.....

-.....However, he gets interrupted by a powerful explosion! It turns out it was caused by Yamato's handcuffs, which contained a bomb much stronger than the ones used for ordinary prisoners! Naturally, Yamato is most upset that Kaidou was serious about killing her, and renounces him as her father! However, before she can lash out at him, Luffy stops her, telling her that they're not the ones who will land the first blow on the emperor....

-It's at this point that the Scabbards all burst onto the stage, charging at Kaidou! The emperor tells the samurai that their swords are useless against him, but as they get closer, he suddenly flashes back to the moment when Oden wounded him 20 years ago. This split second of hesitation on the emperor's part allows the whole group of samurai to gang up on him, as they shout out the "Sunacchi" battle cry! Some of them are blocked by the three all-stars, but in the end, it's Kinemon and Denjirou who finally manage to sink their blades into the King of Beasts....!!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-30, 06:59   Link #2
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

So Kanjurou really was off-paneled. Disappointing.

Curious to find out what the final match-ups will be.
Old 2020-07-30, 08:57   Link #3
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
So Kanjurou really was off-paneled. Disappointing.
As with Orochi, I'm pretty much expecting Kanjurou's defeat here to be another fake-out and he'll be ready for a second round by the time the action intensifies. That being said, I doubt this is one of his ink clones either since he didn't melt after getting taken out. That's also why I doubt Orochi's "corpse" is an ink double, either (I'm still sticking with the "spare heads" theory in his case).

Anyway, I actually like that it's the Scabbards who got to land the first strike on Kaidou, and that Luffy respected their wish to do so. I do find it a little strange that Big Mom didn't try to stop them, though (unless the ambush was too sudden for her to react? She was still outside the stage, after all). BTW, Luffy addresses Yamato with the nickname "Yama-o", similar to his nicknames for Law (Torao) and Kid (Gizao), so I guess the official TL will end up calling her "Yammy" or something, heh. Also, kinda weird that Kaidou really was willing to blow up the very same offspring he just appointed as the new shogun of Wano last chapter. I mean, I think it's pretty clear that she'd essentially be nothing more than a puppet leader, but still....
Old 2020-07-30, 18:51   Link #4
Rainbowman

Yamato in this chapter reminded me of Attack on Titan’s Historia on how she renounced her illegitimate father Rod Reiss.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-31, 07:28   Link #5
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
As with Orochi, I'm pretty much expecting Kanjurou's defeat here to be another fake-out and he'll be ready for a second round by the time the action intensifies. That being said, I doubt this is one of his ink clones either since he didn't melt after getting taken out. That's also why I doubt Orochi's "corpse" is an ink double, either (I'm still sticking with the "spare heads" theory in his case).

Anyway, I actually like that it's the Scabbards who got to land the first strike on Kaidou, and that Luffy respected their wish to do so. I do find it a little strange that Big Mom didn't try to stop them, though (unless the ambush was too sudden for her to react? She was still outside the stage, after all). BTW, Luffy addresses Yamato with the nickname "Yama-o", similar to his nicknames for Law (Torao) and Kid (Gizao), so I guess the official TL will end up calling her "Yammy" or something, heh. Also, kinda weird that Kaidou really was willing to blow up the very same offspring he just appointed as the new shogun of Wano last chapter. I mean, I think it's pretty clear that she'd essentially be nothing more than a puppet leader, but still....
I think the Scabbards are experienced enough to tell if a guy they've slain is dead or not. I don't see the point of Kanjurou coming back later when everyone is about to start fighting the actual big fishes either.

Big Mom jumping in to protect Kaido wouldn't make much sense to me. She knows his strength, she has no reason to think he needs help against a bunch of samurai, it's not like she knows who they are.
Old 2020-07-31, 08:06   Link #6
Zolton

Assuming things really are as they seem:

* Orochi is dead
* Kanjuro (the traitor) is dead
* Scabbards have made it to Kaido and attacked him

It's obvious the Scabbards' attack will fail, so I think it's safe to say they've done all they could in this arc. Well, they'll probably go back to fighting weaker opponents, but I mean they've had their biggest moment; it's all up to Straw Hats now. Given this, I can say the Scabbards and their subplot have failed to make me feel anything. There's nothing remarkable about their characters except for being Japanese-styled fighters (samurais and ninjas), and their sole motivation is to fulfil their dead master's will.

Of course, this may all change if Orochi and/or Kanjuro return.
Zolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-31, 09:36   Link #7
marvelB

Quote:
I think the Scabbards are experienced enough to tell if a guy they've slain is dead or not. I don't see the point of Kanjurou coming back later when everyone is about to start fighting the actual big fishes either.
I can think of at least one reason for Kanjurou to make a comeback: Hiyori. After all, he did declare that he would hunt down and kill her, and I see little point in him making such a threat if he weren't going to back it up. Naturally, that means he'll have to cross swords with the Scabbards again in that case (I mean, it's not like they'll just stand idly by and let their master's daughter get slain, right? Least of all Denjirou and Kawamatsu, who are closest to her).

Quote:
Big Mom jumping in to protect Kaido wouldn't make much sense to me. She knows his strength, she has no reason to think he needs help against a bunch of samurai, it's not like she knows who they are.
Well, I suppose you've got a point..... still, I guess I sorta feel that Linlin would back up Kaidou for the sake of honoring their newfound alliance, ESPECIALLY when it comes to a sudden ambush like this. I mean, she doesn't even have to directly attack herself; she could just send Prometheus or her other homies to the stage. Just a show of good faith for her partner in world conquest, y'know?
Old 2020-07-31, 16:33   Link #8
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Well, I suppose you've got a point..... still, I guess I sorta feel that Linlin would back up Kaidou for the sake of honoring their newfound alliance, ESPECIALLY when it comes to a sudden ambush like this. I mean, she doesn't even have to directly attack herself; she could just send Prometheus or her other homies to the stage. Just a show of good faith for her partner in world conquest, y'know?
Remember how she treated the last people she was in an alliance with?

Even if she was sincere about wanting it to work, I get the feeling Linlin is the type to do exactly as much work as she has to, and not an inch more.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-31, 18:28   Link #9
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
I can think of at least one reason for Kanjurou to make a comeback: Hiyori. After all, he did declare that he would hunt down and kill her, and I see little point in him making such a threat if he weren't going to back it up. Naturally, that means he'll have to cross swords with the Scabbards again in that case (I mean, it's not like they'll just stand idly by and let their master's daughter get slain, right? Least of all Denjirou and Kawamatsu, who are closest to her).
What would be the point? It would be a repeat of what just happened. And although he was off-paneled, it's not like he didn't get a proper send-off (Kiku and Raizou crying and the others looking sad remembering the good times they had with him).
Old 2020-08-01, 14:23   Link #10
itachi-san314

Kanjuro got off-paneled? I highly doubt such an emotional fight would be glossed over by Oda. Either we'll get a flashback to it or maybe Orochi replaced Kanjuro with one of his heads too? We'll have to wait and see exactly how both of their DFs work I guess. It's hard to believe that either is dead though. Like you guys said, it isn't an ink clone and the samurais should be on their guard to not get tricked again. Interesting choice to take him out so fast here. I thought I missed a chapter at first.
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-02, 12:06   Link #11
grecefar

Well they got their moment, it was a nice double page.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-03, 09:57   Link #12
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

The moment when Momo announced his name and the all crews arrived on stage must be the coolest stuff in this arc so far
looking forward for the grand battle
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-04, 07:10   Link #13
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
Remember how she treated the last people she was in an alliance with?

Even if she was sincere about wanting it to work, I get the feeling Linlin is the type to do exactly as much work as she has to, and not an inch more.
Well, Germa was a bit of a different case, though. Yes, Linlin used that wedding as a pretext to rob Judge of his resources, but here I don't see much reason for her to betray Kaidou so early on, especially since they have a mutual goal to strive for. There isn't even a political marriage involved this time (so far, at least). Plus, at the very least, I'd have figured that their prior history as former Rocks pirates might also be reason enough for the two of them to back each other up in a pinch (even if they were trying to kill each other just prior to announcing the alliance in the first place, lol ).

Quote:
What would be the point? It would be a repeat of what just happened. And although he was off-paneled, it's not like he didn't get a proper send-off (Kiku and Raizou crying and the others looking sad remembering the good times they had with him).
Well, I suppose another reason I can see Kanjurou continuing the fight is for the sake of avenging his clan. I mean, that was essentially why he joined Orochi in the first place, and I can't see him giving up his ambition so easily. Taking that into consideration, I can see him doing whatever it takes to accomplish his goal, including faking his own death in order to lull his enemies into a false sense of security.....