AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-12-06, 08:48   Link #1
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ (Nitroplus & Bee Train)

Whoa. That came out of left field.

Source

My instinctive reaction to anything getting directed by Mashimo is, I'm afraid, not very positive, but thinking about it more closely.... Phantom does involve female assassins. Perhaps he's the best choice possible!

And with a title this old getting a brand new TV series, even after getting made into an OVA a long time ago, is there hope for other Nitro+ titles as well??
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-06, 11:33   Link #2
Avisch
Reality Blender

My reaction: WHAT

I'm alittle confused by the title "Phantom 〜Requiem for the Phantom〜"
Well I'm torn. I love Nitro+, but don't like BEETRAIN much

Quote:
And with a title this old getting a brand new TV series, even after getting made into an OVA a long time ago, is there hope for other Nitro+ titles as well??
Yeah wow that OVA was old.

Quote:
but thinking about it more closely.... Phantom does involve female assassins. Perhaps he's the best choice possible!
Whats more interesting is that, commercials for Phantom of Inferno aired when Noir aired, which helped sales (I think)

One crazy B****
Avisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-06, 16:19   Link #3
cyth
Banned

Well, all I can see is another anime soon to be sent into dark history. The OVA is better off forgotten, the guys I know that played Phantom of Inferno were disgusted by the anime's character designs, and while I've been a Bee Train fan ever since MADLAX, I'm not sure if I'll stand another great visual novel ruined. CHAOS;HEAD anime is a great adaptation story-wise, but it's such a visual and atmospheric disservice to the original that, taking Bee Train's recent record into account, I'm seriously in doubt how this newest anime will turn out to be. Bluntly, I'm not particularly excited about it, and I'm usually very excited about Nitroplus' stuff.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-06, 17:08   Link #4
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Where are my Saya's Song OVAs?
I'm mean this is good too though...
Old 2008-12-07, 07:44   Link #5
Vash002
Ready to Boast

LOL WAT
They are going to ruin this too?
I mean, Beetrain... Dang it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling01 View Post
Where are my Saya's Song OVAs?
I'm mean this is good too though...
Seconded.
Vash002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-07, 22:07   Link #6
Shadow Kira01

Bee Train? They usually take 2 weeks to release a single episode. Some consider this a high quality of work, while others see it as laziness.

The anime itself, "Phantom" hopefully is an anime adaption of the original game that I never had a chance to play.

Last edited by Shadow Kira01; 2008-12-07 at 22:08. Reason: grammar error
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-11, 10:44   Link #7
Mentar
Banned

Call me very very hopeful. And yes, Bee Train might be a decent pick to do the material.

Bluntly put, Phantom of Inferno is among the 3 best visual novels I've ever played (and I've played quite a bit). The English version is a little bit kludgy to play due to its "use it on any DVD player" nature, but it's offering a very riveting storyline. Noir meets KimiNozo, so to say.

I consider this a shot for redemption. The 3-shot OVA was an unmitigated disaster, but with a normal fullscale TV anime, they should be able to properly convert the material. I'm very very hopeful. Let's see how it goes.

One major advantage I see: There are several plausible endings for this show. This could translate into a very exciting finish, if done right...
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-11, 15:19   Link #8
Avisch
Reality Blender

Thinking about this alittle more now.
I think I have more hope for it cause I realize the problem I've had with BEETRAIN works is that their stories for their original works don't really go anywhere (I don't really know much about their manga adaptations).

And so with this being based off Nitro+'s visual novel there is a more hope, because they will have to do alot to completely screw up the story.

So lets hope for good presentation.

One crazy B****
Old 2008-12-11, 15:48   Link #9
Fellini 8.5
Film Snob

Having never played the game, and not really remembering the OVA very well -- so I don't remember if anyone key actually died or not -- I still get the sense that this may not actually be a story based on the game... and not just because of the title. It may be a new story with new manga? Speculating; I have no clue.

It's a little bit dissappointing that there's no Yuki Kajiura in the mix, but I tend to be a bit nostalgic in that respect. It looks like there's been quite a bit of staff turnover in general over the last couple of projects, and Mashimo is probably trying new things with new talent. Like blood... this may be his chance to have the "bloody Kirika" he wanted.
Fellini 8.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-13, 01:45   Link #10
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Honestly, the one thing I loved about Phantom was the one thing both Madlax, Noir, and El Calador la Bruja(too lazy to find the name =_=) didn't; a freakiin' male protaganist .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Bluntly put, Phantom of Inferno is among the 3 best visual novels I've ever played (and I've played quite a bit). The English version is a little bit kludgy to play due to its "use it on any DVD player" nature, but it's offering a very riveting storyline. Noir meets KimiNozo, so to say.

I consider this a shot for redemption. The 3-shot OVA was an unmitigated disaster, but with a normal fullscale TV anime, they should be able to properly convert the material. I'm very very hopeful. Let's see how it goes.

One major advantage I see: There are several plausible endings for this show. This could translate into a very exciting finish, if done right...
Heck I owe Hirameki for that "kludgy" format, else I would have never stepped into the foray of VNs. It was my first, and I picked it up on accident cuz I thought it was an anime. I was completely pissed at first, but thank god I took the time to play it. Truly one of the best if not THEE best VN I've experienced.

OVA ? What OVA ? I hate to even remember it. I bought the LE of the first episode which came with a poster, some PC music disc w/5 songs, and some other book for $100. Worst purchase I made in my entire anime career. It made me respect the japanese fans for paying such high prices.

They're obviously going to go with the canon ending, but personally,
Spoiler for gigantic VN SPOILERS DONT READ IF YOU DIDN'T FINISHED THE GAME!!!:
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-15, 19:41   Link #11
Fellini 8.5
Film Snob

By way of AnimeNation, a Japanese article with character design pics:
http://www.famitsu.com/anime/news/1220553_1558.html

Even "Mireille's" haircut is the same, lol.

I don't suppose those are VO names under the character names, are they?

Any newsy tidbits in there that are worth translating?
Fellini 8.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-15, 21:03   Link #12
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
They're obviously going to go with the canon ending, but personally,
Spoiler for gigantic VN SPOILERS DONT READ IF YOU DIDN'T FINISHED THE GAME!!!:
I'd say there's no such thing as a canon ending.

Spoiler for about PoI endings, STAY AWAY unless you have played the game.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellini 8.5 View Post

Even "Mireille's" haircut is the same, lol.
I think you mean the Kirika haircut? Keep in mind that PoI was first, Noir was second. Noir stole the Kirika character from PoI, so why not keep the character designs too :P

Claudia's design differs from Mireille quite a bit...
Old 2008-12-15, 21:36   Link #13
rg4619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post

Spoiler:
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-15, 22:16   Link #14
Avisch
Reality Blender

Character designs at first give me mixed feelings. But ultimately I think they are good.

Eins: She doesn't have the "sharp" look that her original design had. But that's not really a problem. And yes. It is similar to Kirika's hair.

Zwei: No complaints at all. Better than the OVA's Zwei at the very least.

Claudia: I love the long hair look! Looks quite different from the original design (not in a negative way). They managed to keep the sinister aura in her expressions.

Quote:
Honestly, the one thing I loved about Phantom was the one thing both Madlax, Noir, and El Calador la Bruja(too lazy to find the name =_=) didn't; a freakiin' male protaganist .
I'm so happy someone else feels the same way.

One crazy B****
Old 2008-12-15, 23:12   Link #15
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Yuck.

Can't they pick anyone else besides Bee Fucking Train? Their pan shots of eyes is irritating, their aversion to blood despite violence is annoying and the preference of fluffy style over gritty realism sucks.

I love the game, hated the OVA. Now the TV series will rape the excellent story to perfection. There is no justice in this world, sometimes.

Spoiler for Game Spoiler:
Old 2008-12-15, 23:19   Link #16
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy View Post
Yuck.

Can't they pick anyone else besides Bee Fucking Train? Their pan shots of eyes is irritating, their aversion to blood despite violence is annoying and the preference of fluffy style over gritty realism sucks.

I love the game, hated the OVA. Now the TV series will rape the excellent story to perfection. There is no justice in this world, sometimes.
Just because they screwed up BotI doesn't mean they'll fail with this. As long as they don't use still images to show the ass-kicking and make it smooth, it won't fail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellini 8.5 View Post
I think the char style looks good. I love the Ein/Drei pic at the bottom; it looks badass. And they better bring back Omi Minami as Ein(they did it with the crappy OVA).
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-15, 23:39   Link #17
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post

Just because they screwed up BotI doesn't mean they'll fail with this. As long as they don't use still images to show the ass-kicking and make it smooth, it won't fail.

I think the char style looks good. I love the Ein/Drei pic at the bottom; it looks badass. And they better bring back Omi Minami as Ein(they did it with the crappy OVA).
Not just BoTI, let's see:

1. Noir is too much on style and for such violent story, the aversion of blood and invincible assassin is plain annoying.

2. Madlax almost the same as above. Remember the evening gown in jungle scene?

3. Cazador Bruja is little more relaxed but largely plain experience.

Both BoTI and POI has very gritty and dark feel to it, I just don't think Bee Train is up to the job to adapt it properly.
Old 2008-12-16, 06:28   Link #18
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
Not just BoTI, let's see:

1. Noir is too much on style and for such violent story, the aversion of blood and invincible assassin is plain annoying.
You ARE aware that Noir was an original anime, right (at least to my knowledge)? They didn't "mess anything up" here, they did it just the way they wanted it. Which was perfectly fine.

Quote:
Both BoTI and POI has very gritty and dark feel to it, I just don't think Bee Train is up to the job to adapt it properly.
I see your point here, and I agree with it to a certain degree, but then again, let's not overdo it either. The anime WILL have to stylize things a bit, because PoI did break the realism barrier several times either. And I definitely prefer the show to go the Noir way over the ultra-bloody OVA way, which more or less reduced the phantoms to butchers.

Alot will depend on the music. I was a bit saddened to learn that it won't be another Kajiura soundtrack, but then again, Nanase Hikaru had some great works in her own right, so letsee...
Old 2008-12-25, 09:33   Link #19
cyth
Banned

A few screenshots.
http://blog.mediaworks.co.jp/moeoh/2...phantom10.html
Looks very... girls-with-guns-esque? <_<;
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-25, 15:03   Link #20
Mentar
Banned

Oooooh, nice one Toua! Lots of interesting informations, for example the main cast:

Ein: Takagaki Ayahi (Noe from True Tears)

Zwei: Irino Miyu (Saji Crossroad from Gundam 00)

Cal: Sawashiro Miyuki (Tsugumi from Kannagi)

Claudia McCullum: Hisakawa Aya (Skuld from A!MG - well, more like Natsume Maya from Tenjou Tenge)

Lizzy: Watanabe Akeno (Tiamat from Shakugan no Shana - Wilhelmina's contractor)

No voice for Mio yet, but she's clearly shown in one of the screenies, so we'll obviously get the full story of all three chapters this time (thank god!)

Last edited by Mentar; 2008-12-25 at 18:08.

Tags
action, eroge, gunfights, seinen