AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2017-07-28, 18:03   Link #341
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Finally watched it after all those months of hype. It's not the best anime movie I've watched this year (that still goes to Koe no Katachi, I figured that one would be hard to top for me) nor Shinkai's best work (that goes to Kotonoha no niwa, really enjoyed the cameo by the teacher by the way), but damn if it wasn't a great movie! I enjoyed it a lot on an emotional level, I got really attached to the characters and the suspense near the end was killing me,

Spoiler:

What brought down the movie a notch for me was that the actual story relied too much on fantastical elements and there were some contrivances that didn't sit well with me and I had to make efforts to ignore them and move on.
Old 2017-07-28, 19:44   Link #342
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

I like to think that the end could've been fleshed out more with them talking to each other, but he straight up ran out of money to do anymore.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-28, 20:08   Link #343
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

I think Shinkai mentioned somewhere that he wasn't satisfied with Your Name because some things remained unexplored and it is a valid concern. The unintended effect is that the open ending mirrors a bit of life: things don't always have decisive ending always.
Old 2017-07-29, 13:31   Link #344
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
Post pics of the filmstrip you got.
Oh, that's a nice one, there's a few out there I've seen people post that are like, why did they pick that?

I got this scene on mine
Old 2017-07-29, 16:05   Link #345
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

yeah, i think the production company rushed him to finish up the movie. which is a shame, because there probably could have been a lot more done. not that i'm not satisfied with how it is.

jp, can you post a picture of the strip? that's a pretty damn epic transition to get.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-30, 03:51   Link #346
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
yeah, i think the production company rushed him to finish up the movie. which is a shame, because there probably could have been a lot more done. not that i'm not satisfied with how it is.

jp, can you post a picture of the strip? that's a pretty damn epic transition to get.
I'd be really happy if he went back and just made an OVA to cover the entire month of their daily lives while they were switching back and forth. The movie's great, but the best part was watching them trying to deal with it as well as everyone around them reacting to their apparent split personalities.

Images
Film Strip
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2017-07-31, 07:11   Link #347
Kakurin
大佐

My copy arrived today. The film strip I got:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2017-07-31, 09:07   Link #348
kanoguti

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
I like to think that the end could've been fleshed out more with them talking to each other, but he straight up ran out of money to do anymore.
I feel like Shinaki wanted them to not meet each other at the end of the movie. Felt so awkward, and it would probably be even worse if they ended up having a conversation.
Old 2017-07-31, 12:21   Link #349
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanoguti View Post
I feel like Shinaki wanted them to not meet each other at the end of the movie. Felt so awkward, and it would probably be even worse if they ended up having a conversation.
I was expecting the movie to end at the bridge when they both walk past each other tbh. So I'm at least glad they got to meet in the end.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-31, 14:55   Link #350
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
This is not Byōsoku 5-senchi. I honestly have no idea where you draw the conclusion from that Shinkai didn't want them to meet each other. Having watched this now for the third time it's clear that them meeting in the end is the absolutely logical conclusion from the way it was developed.
Old 2017-07-31, 14:56   Link #351
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

If Shinkai didn't want them to reunite at some point, the red string of fate imagery would be absurdely nonsensical.
Old 2017-07-31, 18:46   Link #352
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Quote:
I'm joining the chorus of those who say Shinkai's intention was always to have Mitsuha and Taki meet again at the end of Kimi no Na wa. The awkwardness of their "chance" encounter is also deliberate because of their shared and only half remembered previous encounters. In universe, their conversation will be awkward. It is supposed to be but there will be enough familiarity left to re-establish their bond.

That is significant not only in the personal story of these two changed individuals but also for the changed reality of the past, present and future of the other people and places involved.
The people of Itomori survived but their community did not. Not as a village. The town was not saved as a result of their supernatural intervention. It is now up to the next generations to ensure that their specific past is not severed although the've nearly all been scattered, exiled.
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-31, 19:09   Link #353
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
If Shinkai didn't want them to reunite at some point, the red string of fate imagery would be absurdely nonsensical.
That goes without saying. Defying a belief this ingrained into culture would probably not work so well and also leave audiences completely disappointed. I would've probably rage-quit had they just passed by one another, especially considering everything they'd gone through.
Old 2017-07-31, 21:57   Link #354
kanoguti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso Sciolto View Post
I'm joining the chorus of those who say Shinkai's intention was always to have Mitsuha and Taki meet again at the end of Kimi no Na wa. The awkwardness of their "chance" encounter is also deliberate because of their shared and only half remembered previous encounters. In universe, their conversation will be awkward. It is supposed to be but there will be enough familiarity left to re-establish their bond.

That is significant not only in the personal story of these two changed individuals but also for the changed reality of the past, present and future of the other people and places involved.
The people of Itomori survived but their community did not. Not as a village. The town was not saved as a result of their supernatural intervention. It is now up to the next generations to ensure that their specific past is not severed although the've nearly all been scattered, exiled.
The awkwardness was how it was paced. 5cm managed to have a "nail biter" because whether or not the characters met each other at the end was a main point of the film.
Spoiler for 5cm stuff:

The reason I say Shinkai didn't want them to meet is because it's a few minutes of them walking past each other and it meant absolutely nothing to the movie overall besides boring "tension" (does not share the same significance compared to 5cm). It feels, and I just rewatched this, like Shinkai personally did not want them to meet (cuz it's shinaki lol) but his studio jockies forced him to have a sappy ending.
Old 2017-07-31, 22:20   Link #355
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Quote:
Neither in the film itself nor in Shinkai's commentary/ thoughts shared through interviews do I see what you attribute to him regarding the ending and its motivations. Shinkai, as well as a large chunk of his audience, is well aware of 5 cm per second and it is this shared history which adds to, not detracts from, the poignancy of the meetings at the end of Kimi no Na Wa, as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Dispelling that the depicted mythology has any basis in logical fact or reality is a very sensible way to deal with such fantastical elements but Shinkai didn't choose that route.
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-31, 22:46   Link #356
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Dispelling that the depicted mythology has any basis in logical fact or reality is a very sensible way to deal with such fantastical elements but Shinkai didn't choose that route.
Understand that the whole point of the supernatural elements in Your Name is to show how fickle and complex love is, and to wrench it from the protagonists even with these forces in play would be downright cruel to the audience's expectations, to the point where the reception certainly would not have been as positive as it is now. The current ending is in complete alignment with the message the film aimed to present, whereas an ending opposing the idea of the "red ribbons of fate" would not be well-received. If there is merit to the latter, I'd be happy to hear it.

Five Centimeters per Second was the portrayal of distance and longing sans the supernatural, allowing things to run their course naturally. To take the same approach in Your Name is to insinuate that love is pointless, futile and unattainable by suggesting that it fails even where supernatural intervention is present.
Old 2017-08-01, 01:26   Link #357
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
The reason I say Shinkai didn't want them to meet is because it's a few minutes of them walking past each other and it meant absolutely nothing to the movie overall besides boring "tension" (does not share the same significance compared to 5cm). It feels, and I just rewatched this, like Shinkai personally did not want them to meet (cuz it's shinaki lol) but his studio jockies forced him to have a sappy ending.
This is a ridiculous assertion. From the get-go the path was laid for them to meet each other again. You are basically just ignoring all that, including the red-string and the musubi stuff - especially the latter holds great significance in describing the path of Mitsuha and Taki - , using only your own feelings regarding the last couple of minutes to declare that Shinkai didn't want them to meet.

Quote:
But it wasn't only that, an ending without them meeting again would render the whole musubi part meaningless. As Infinite Zenith already said, the ending is completely aligned with the movie's central themes and messages. Them not meeting would require a completely different handling of key parts of the movie, starting with the musubi.
Old 2017-08-01, 10:26   Link #358
kanoguti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin View Post
This is a ridiculous assertion. From the get-go the path was laid for them to meet each other again. You are basically just ignoring all that, including the red-string and the musubi stuff - especially the latter holds great significance in describing the path of Mitsuha and Taki - , using only your own feelings regarding the last couple of minutes to declare that Shinkai didn't want them to meet.
It's a red string. It just meant that spiritually they were together through the time travel shit, but not that they would get together in the end. You have to admit, the ending sucked. If Shinaki had full control of the project, then they would have not got together in the end, and the movie would have been better as a result.

Don't link me any ""interviews"" with Shinkai. At this point he's trying his hardest to sell blurays, so he won't speak about the film in a critical light.

Last edited by kanoguti; 2017-08-01 at 10:37. Reason: Truth!
kanoguti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-01, 10:38   Link #359
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
It's a read string. It just meant that spiritually they were together, but not that they would get together in the end. You have to admit, the ending sucked. If Shinaki had full control of the project, then they would have not got together in the end.
This just shows me that you didn't get the movie at all and it's futile to continue discussing with someone who's fixed onto his tunnel view dominated by his disagreement with the way the ending was handled.
Old 2017-08-01, 10:42   Link #360
kanoguti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin View Post
This just shows me that you didn't get the movie at all and it's futile to continue discussing with someone who's fixed onto his tunnel view dominated by his disagreement with the way the ending was handled.
No. Actually I understand the film and Shinkai himself far better than anyone else in this thread. I've practically studied his films and their impact on the anime industry. No joke.