AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Soul Eater

Notices

Old 2008-04-25, 10:26   Link #1221
molitar

I have to ask.. what is it about this anime you like? I watched first two and was like what is this?

1. The father having blades comming out of his back.. that looked totally stupid to me not even cool.
2. Black Star is such an idiot that he isn't even funny he's that stupid.
3. What is the storyline/plot? I sure haven't seen anything that looks to be a story in the first two episodes except to become a death Scythe.
4. The father even acts like a total idiot to the point he isn't funny either.

So far the only thing I found interesting was some of the animation style.. but stuff like blades from the back, ect looked really stupid to me.

I'm asking because maybe their is more to this show that I am missing but from the first two episodes I can't seem to see where the hype, story, or cool factor is in it so far.
molitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-25, 10:49   Link #1222
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

The blades from the back is that he's only partially transformed himself into a scythe, we have yet to see his full (and very probably badass) full transformation. Of course this show may not be for you if you're not into Shonen fighting, though I believe it develops a plot as it goes along. Also the animation is very fluid and stylish (just compare it to naruto...)
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-25, 11:25   Link #1223
Zoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by molitar View Post
3. What is the storyline/plot? I sure haven't seen anything that looks to be a story in the first two episodes except to become a death Scythe.
That's why they're called prologues.
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-25, 11:31   Link #1224
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
I have to ask.. what is it about this anime you like? I watched first two and was like what is this?

1. The father having blades comming out of his back.. that looked totally stupid to me not even cool.
That is his half transformed state, certain humans in this show have power to change into weapons, but I won't say anymore due to spoilers.

Quote:
2. Black Star is such an idiot that he isn't even funny he's that stupid.
B*S at this point is a character that you either like or, don't, I didn't care for him in the beginning of the manga, but he grew on me as the story went on.

Quote:
That because the first 3 eps are based on 3 "one-shot" chapters of manga which were more or less self contained and don't have alot to do with rest of the series.
The Anime is treating them more like Character intros and prologues. SE doesn't actually start until next week and even it's sort like intro, since it bring out two last important characters to cast in eps 4 & 5. The actual story doesn't much to do with "soul collecting".

Quote:
4. The father even acts like a total idiot to the point he isn't funny either.
He's mostly comic relief in the beginning, but generally serious when "stuff" start happening.

Quote:
So far the only thing I found interesting was some of the animation style.. but stuff like blades from the back, ect looked really stupid to me.
Well, whether you like the style or, not is for you to decide, but like I said before he is a Weapon that can transform part of his body to fight.

Quote:
I'm asking because maybe their is more to this show that I am missing but from the first two episodes I can't seem to see where the hype, story, or cool factor is in it so far.
Yes, there is, but setup for SE won't starting happening till ep4 where the show starts acting more like a regular series.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2008-04-25 at 12:58.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-25, 12:12   Link #1225
molitar

Thanks for the feedback.. and great explanations there Iron Maw.. since I never read the manga I would of never knew any of that.. hence I asked here.. Guess it's just strange the way they start the first 3 episodes of one shots that have nothing to do with the story. Also the reason why this anime made absolutely no sense to me since they are really long and drawn out character introductions.. A single episode per character is unusual after all. I'll wait to the story starts before I make any conclusions on whether I like it or not.

On the part about liking Shonen Fights... I love Naruto and Bleach and find myself can't wait to see the next episode.. The other anime that is like that for me so far is D.Grayman and the wackiness of Kateikyoushi Hitman Reborn.
molitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-25, 12:45   Link #1226
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

This show is a cross-over for myself -- I'm finding Soul Eater quite a step up from the often-cited "battle-fighting-shounen" series. I don't typical find such series remotely interesting.
Old 2008-04-25, 20:01   Link #1227
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

Quote:
Guess it's just strange the way they start the first 3 episodes of one shots that have nothing to do with the story. Also the reason why this anime made absolutely no sense to me since they are really long and drawn out character introductions.. A single episode per character is unusual after all.
As for me, that's what I love about Soul Eater xD All the main characters are given enough importance, not too focused on the main guy and girl. We get to know the personalities and some backgrounds of the characters before the actual stories start . . . so we get to understand their attitude as early as the initial episodes . . . unlike in other series where you need to wait for more than 5 or ten episodes just to know who the heck a certain character is xD
And it's not common for shounen anime to do introductory episodes of their main characters before they start the series . . . I like it that SE is trying a different style in introducing the series, not imitating what many other shounen shows had done. In other words, it does its best to be unique xD

In summary, though Soul Eater seems like your generic shounen show, it's still damn different xD With its new story approach, wicked style, parodies, and twisted characters . . . . man, I love it for being unique xD
sapphire-pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 03:35   Link #1228
Nenkitsune

Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
the fluidity of the animation in this show is making me DROOL. I love this show ^_^

もいちど。。。
Nenkitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-28, 12:43   Link #1229
Zoe

Sid's profile has been added to the character page:
http://www.souleater.tv/character/index.html

Very slight spoilers if you can understand Japanese.
Old 2008-05-01, 11:10   Link #1230
Zoe

Soul Eater DVD's up for preorder!

Spoiler:

Releases once a month starting 8/22, 12 DVD's listed.

Only goes up through episode 47...
Old 2008-05-02, 08:25   Link #1231
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Soul Eater might well be the new Bleach. It seems to me that these type of shounen battle shows are increasingly influenced by punk/alternative rock. (The character designs are reminiscent of Gorillaz, for example.) Naruto's cheekiness is completely tame in comparison to Soul Eater's dripping attitude.

I luuurve it. Soul Eater pulses with raw energy and creativity. (I love the Sun and Moon, lol.) I'm not quite sure how the Japanese do it, but they consistently come up with new ideas that explode in-your-face, and yet, are not snarkily annoying at the same time.

Cheers to wild innovation. I'm in for a fun ride.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-02, 10:16   Link #1232
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Erg.... pardon me if the comparison in your first paragraph makes me cringe a bit.

Hoping you are just comparing enduring popularity.
Old 2008-05-02, 10:34   Link #1233
Zoe

Episode 6 title + description

Spoiler:

Old 2008-05-02, 10:59   Link #1234
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Erg.... pardon me if the comparison in your first paragraph makes me cringe a bit.

Hoping you are just comparing enduring popularity.
Eh, how so, lol? I may not be the biggest fan of the genre, but I did enjoy Naruto and Bleach for what they are - entertaining action-fests with over-the-top power moves. They are the Dragonball of the noughties, are they not?

Looking back, I think Naruto exploded into popularity after the anime aired, and then it suddenly became the "big thing" that everyone talked about, even "non-anime" fans. Same thing seems to have happened to Bleach. Comparing one to the other, it does feel as though this genre is getting edgier with each new iteration, as though each new show is trying to outdo its predecessor. Despite that, Soul Eater remains curiously endearing in a way that Sponge Bob, Bart Simpson and the South Park kids never were. Maybe I'm biased, but that's how I feel anyway.
Old 2008-05-02, 11:10   Link #1235
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well... I've tried to watch Naruto and Bleach any number of times to discern why they were popular -- its unusual if I can finish an episode without FFing or just walking away. Same for DBZ or most other examples (I even found Pokemon a chore to watch).

So far I've not experienced that feeling with Soul Eater. We'll see how it goes after 20 or so episodes though. The style of presentation in Soul Eater just doesn't turn me off the way the others immediately do.
Old 2008-05-02, 11:13   Link #1236
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well... I've tried to watch Naruto and Bleach any number of times to discern why they were popular -- its unusual if I can finish an episode without FFing or just walking away.
*chortle*

I think it's because you belong too firmly in the PBS demographic.

*dodges*

Old 2008-05-02, 11:20   Link #1237
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

No need to dodge, I certainly don't dispute that
Old 2008-05-03, 06:31   Link #1238
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

Wow . . .Soul Eater DVD's are somewhat ready already. I'm excited to see the covers xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
Episode 6 title + description

Spoiler:

I WANT EPISODE 6 NOW!!!!!! *_*
sapphire-pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-03, 12:46   Link #1239
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Oh my i can see episode six being the one to remember for a long time to come.
Old 2008-05-09, 10:57   Link #1240
Zoe

Episode 7 title + description

Spoiler:

Tags
action, death the kid, shounen, soul eater