Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2015-10-30, 23:35   Link #761
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles88 View Post
dmaxzero, are you Meninists
I mean you look like those people in that video?

https://youtu.be/QRpIeg9eTTQ?t=554
I don’t think so too. Like he said, he just wants pilots to do the piloting and singers to do the singing (regardless of sex & gender). Not pilot-singers hybrid that sing while piloting VFs (regardless of sex & gender).

I personally have no problem with pilot-singers as long as the characters are compelling, but I see no sexism/feminism/meninism in dmaxzero’s comment AFAICT. He’s just old-fashioned like he said.
Old 2015-10-30, 23:40   Link #762
charles88

If Macross Delta done very good job fine by me

By the way there singer- pilot in 1997 which called Fire Bomber especially Nekki Basara
charles88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-30, 23:50   Link #763
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
If Macross Delta done very good job fine by me
We all want Delta to do a good job (even if the said “good job” is relative to each person). That’s why we’re all posting here. And please stop bringing sexism accusation in this thread when there’s none. It will only poison the discussion. The upcoming shipping wars already look discouraging enough without any sexism thrown in.

Quote:
By the way there singer- pilot in 1997 which called Fire Bomber especially Nekki Basara
Umm...yeah? We all know that. We already brought it up since Delta's announcement video.
Old 2015-10-31, 00:10   Link #764
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
We all want Delta to do a good job (even if the said “good job” is relative to each person). That’s why we’re all posting here. And please stop bringing sexism accusation in this thread when there’s none.
I think he is equating sexism to the lack of rabid feminism, which is unhealthy...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-31, 01:36   Link #765
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxzero View Post
For me it's simple.
I do not want the pilots of the VF machines to be the singers. I do not want another bunch of people singing and playing instruments that are also the controls of the machines doing pretty impossible shit without anti G suits. Not after seeing Guld in Macross Plus losing his life because he was going way too fast dodging missiles with engines limiters off, chasing an AI machine. It simply brings my suspension of disbelief to a place that irritates me, for some particular reason.

I am old fashioned, put pilots doing their stuff in awesomeness and have singers/idols doing their best to "shake the galaxy" or whatever, even go far as to turn them into magical girls for all I care. And Delta has this vibe or feeling that is trying to go in that direction again. If I am wrong, believe I will be the first to admit I was, and the first to scream in relief. I want to be wrong, I wish it.

I grew up with Macross, pilots be pilots. Singers be singers.
Macross 7 is old enough to drink, now. There's old-fashioned, and then there's just fossilized.
Old 2015-10-31, 01:37   Link #766
charles88

Agree with you
charles88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-31, 08:03   Link #767
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I think he is equating sexism to the lack of rabid feminism, which is unhealthy...
Wait, wishing that the female team were pilots on their own right and not a cutiepie cheerleader squad for the guy pilots is "rabid feminism" now?

Anyway, as someone who genuinely liked Macross 7 for all its silliness, I'd be totally on board for another, even more over the top incarnation of it, with competing idol groups who moonlight as pilots, and all. Alas, it seems Kawamori is in fact out of the good stuff lately. Someone get him more drugs, please.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-31, 09:43   Link #768
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Wait, wishing that the female team were pilots on their own right and not a cutiepie cheerleader squad for the guy pilots is "rabid feminism" now?
No offense and nothing personal, but gee, I don't know, because in real life, the ratio of female pilots to male ones are kind of a lopsided affair? That and I am not in the mood to see anymore singing pilots with a mic and maybe a friggin guitar in their cockpits?

And these are idols. You know what they do in real life? Maybe they are in fact... CUTIEPIE CHEERLEADERS?!

There is already a female team in Macross, in fact, there are billions of them who do everything better. Biologically modified and genetically enhanced, they are called... dun dun dun... MELTLANDI!

- Tak (If there is a singer in Macross who I did not mind being a pilot at the same time, it would be Sheryl Nome, and she is no idol)

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2015-10-31 at 09:57.
Old 2015-10-31, 10:02   Link #769
kuromitsu

Quote:
No offense and nothing personal, but gee, I don't know, because in real life, the ratio of female pilots to male ones are kind of a lopsided affair?
And that, of course that is in no way the result of any kind of sexism, nope, not at all. Also, this anime set in a world with space colonies and transforming mechs and aliens, where singing has vaguely defined quasi magical powers, is definitely the kind of story that should rigidly mirror real-world situations (including definitely-not-sexism situations). Gotcha, sorry for asking.

Quote:
That and I am not in the mood to see anymore singing pilots with a mic and maybe a friggin guitar in their cockpits?
I am, though! M7 was at least fun.

Quote:
There is already a female team in Macross, in fact, there are billions of them who do everything better. Biologically modified and genetically enhanced, they are called... dun dun dun... MELTLANDI!
And that of course makes up for everything.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-31, 10:37   Link #770
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
And that, of course that is in no way the result of any kind of sexism, nope, not at all.
"I don't doubt her heart, I doubt the reach of her arms" Paraphrased from Éomer, Lord of the Rings.

These are idols, JKs, moeblob, whatever you call them. They are Cutiepie Cheerleaders, thats what they do.

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2015-10-31 at 10:56.
Old 2015-10-31, 10:53   Link #771
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
"I don't doubt her heart, I doubt the reach of her arms" Paraphrased from Éomer, Lord of the Rings.
That point would work a lot better if the woman in question hadn't gone on to slay the freakin' King of the Nazguls and his winged beast.

Of course the whole thing is fiction, so it doesn't prove anything, unlike the Nightwitches, who are 100% real badass female pilots.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-31, 10:59   Link #772
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
That point would work a lot better if the woman in question hadn't gone on to slay the freakin' King of the Nazguls and his winged beast.
Actually he was talking about the hobbit, thats why I paraphrased.

But anyway, if people want to see moeblobs in combat, there are Strike Wtiches, Kancolle, GuP, and other Magical Girl shows to fulfill our disbelief & guilty pleasure needs. Macross on the other hand, I take it a bit more seriously than others.

- Tak

Old 2015-10-31, 11:00   Link #773
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Quote:
Heh. He set himself up for that one.

Quote:
Of course the whole thing is fiction, so it doesn't prove anything, unlike the Nightwitches, who are 100% real badass female pilots.
Very cool!

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-31, 11:20   Link #774
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:

There's some controversy about Night Witches. But Soviets during WWII had Lidia Litvyak and Yekaterina Budanova. Not to mention a bunch of female snipers, tank commanders and even one marine commander.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-31, 11:28   Link #775
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Heh. He set himself up for that one.
Not quite, since Eomer was talking about the hobbits. He is not such a fool to talk about her sister like that.

And Eowyn was a grown woman, not a moeblob.

I was talking about moeblobs.

- Tak

Old 2015-10-31, 11:35   Link #776
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Not quite, since Eomer was talking about the hobbits. He is not such a fool to talk about her sister like that.
Then I'll point out that Merry is credited with an assist on taking down the Witch King (his dagger undid the magic that made him unkillable, allowing Eowyn to deliver the death blow). And of course Sam didn't do too badly against Shelob, and we have plenty of examples with Bilbo ... what I'm trying to say is, Eomer's kind of an idiot.

Quote:
And Eowyn was a grown woman, not a moeblob.
Speak for yourself.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-31, 11:57   Link #777
Tak

No offense bud, but I think some of you are more interested in moeblobs flying than actual, professional women combatants doing the job and equating moeblobs lack of participation in that affair as being sexist. Fortunately in this universe, we have a wonderful group of Meltlandis who come in the billions and able to get the job done better than most.

My argument still stands, those JKs in the trailer looked like they would have difficulties reaching the end of the panels in a cockpit, let alone fly.

- Tak

Old 2015-10-31, 13:57   Link #778
Tak

KAWAMORI had a dream...

For those who never seen it... he had some relative sketches back in the day.

Hell, his tentative title for these designs was Sky Cavalry Chronicles.

Spoiler for Page 1:

Spoiler for Page 2:

Spoiler for Page 3:

Spoiler for Page 4:

Spoiler for Page 5:

Spoiler for Page 6:

Spoiler for Page 7:

- Tak (Saw it coming)

Old 2015-10-31, 16:39   Link #779
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

I'm welcoming this idol group and these fabulous bishounen pilots with open arms.

One of the problems with Macross Frontier was that it followed form *too much*, especially copying from SDFM, to the point where it felt like more of a big homage than a new addition to the franchise. There's nothing wrong with referencing and using tropes from previous installments, it's just that Frontier went overboard with it.

In contrast, Plus, 7, and Zero were all very distinct in flavor with a different approach to the same basic ideas. I hope Delta will establish a unique identity for itself, and what I've seen so far looks to be heading in that direction.

Quote:
But anyway, if people want to see moeblobs in combat, there are Strike Wtiches, Kancolle, GuP, and other Magical Girl shows to fulfill our disbelief & guilty pleasure needs. Macross on the other hand, I take it a bit more seriously than others.
Should have mentioned AKB0048 as well.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-01, 02:16   Link #780
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Got that vibe as well with the Aerial Knights of the Kingdom of the Wind.

Crazy idea...

Legacy of the Protoculture... What if the planet colonized already has inhabitants, Kingdom of Wind, and the UNG did an uplift like the Zolans except it didn't turn out well as expected? Resulting to two planetary wars called Delta Wars. This could be why invading or colonizing planets with sentient life became a no-no in the Galaxy Treaty which NUNG members are supposed to abide by.

Which could explain the lack of NUNS.
This idea may not be crazy at all. Someone in MW pointed out the hair thingys.
Images
Kingdom of Wind
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Further theory. Kingdom of Wind became hostile to the NUNG due to previous disputes. Now they want to expand but nearby habitable planets are already colonized by Humans, Zentradi and Zolans.

Grace's invasion 8 years ago did not help their perception of Humans and associated races.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote