AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2021-04-11, 00:30   Link #121
HirouKeimou

I'd be more excited if I had not already bought the box set for Frontier and Delta from Japan years ago. Like, too little too late. I'm not buying it again. Especially since Delta's release came with English subs. They would have to add a lot to the re-release worldwide to encourage me to buy it again.
HirouKeimou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-11, 00:50   Link #122
Auron Requies

Eh, this feels super late in a time where there's a lot of competition between popular franchises (whether east or west) and only now HGold is feeling the effects of their bad decisions over the years. Ah well, still curious to see how this goes.
Auron Requies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-11, 08:55   Link #123
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

The funny thing is, in HG's declaration regarding the matter, they still think they can move the Robotech franchise forward.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-11, 10:18   Link #124
John117xCortana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
The funny thing is, in HG's declaration regarding the matter, they still think they can move the Robotech franchise forward.

- Tak
They can try, but fans can give them the same care they've given the fans over the years.
John117xCortana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-11, 11:35   Link #125
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Also, HG should realize by now, Macross can be purchased from any part of the world with or without their involvement. HG also has very little power to protect their 'copyright' outside of the United States anyway, and that whole 'HG world distribution rights' is just bullshit. Getting a 'proper' release state-side may due less to desiring for an actual 'proper' release, than our desire to see HG go down (in flames).

Though it should be interesting to point out, Kawamori himself isn't very keen on the issue with HG.

- Tak (again, doesn't change my mind about bombing them from orbit)

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2021-04-11 at 13:10.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-11, 13:19   Link #126
HirouKeimou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Also, HG should realize by now, Macross can be purchased from any part of the world with or without their involvement. HG also has very little power to protect their 'copyright' outside of the United States anyway, and that whole 'HG world distribution rights' is just bullshit. Getting a 'proper' release state-side may due less to desiring for an actual 'proper' release, than our desire to see HG go down (in flames).

Also it should be interesting to point out, Kawamori himself isn't very keen on the issue with HG.

- Tak (again, doesn't change my mind about bombing them from orbit)
As someone who bought the Japanese Blu-rays, the only area I believe HG will triumph in is pricing.

I say this because be it CD Japan or Yes Asia, America (specifically) only had one location to buy it from: Japan. And each volume of Frontier and Delta on release contained 1-3 episodes and was $80 a pop. For 3 episodes max. That's not even counting the remastered box set for Frontier which had limited print and is now nearly unavailable unless you wanna pay an extreme amount of money (I got lucky and found a copy for $200 back in 2016 but it's super rare to find a copy period). And for the record, the remastered copy of Frontier is the only way you'll get all the extra stuff like NCOPs and Fufonia.

So yes, HG could compete via pricing but that all depends on if the audience is there for it. Like, if everyone has already pirated/paid for a copy from Japan and seen it all, why buy it again for a smaller price? It's not as if the old torrents on Nyaa have lost their seeders over the years. And let's not forget that HG could still screw up on either the dub (if one will be done) or the subtitles.

I don't know about fan releases of Frontier, but Delta's fan sub release paled in comparison to the official subs on the Japanese Blu-rays; you could tell they paid actual Japanese-English translators to do it in house. And it's not bad.

My point is, if HG does very little to the source material this time, it could work out. But I get the feeling if they even try a little bit to add flavor, it'll raise a red flag faster than anything else...
Old 2021-04-11, 15:52   Link #127
magnuskn

Honestly, I am very much looking forward to seeing an official release of Macross Frontier TV with official subs. Because I want to support the franchise without having to buy overprized DVD's (or Blue-Rays) without English subs on them.

They better go with "hopes and dreams", though. "Dreams and desires", pffffft.
Old 2021-04-12, 02:04   Link #128
HirouKeimou

My one hope is for an official release of the specials with subtitles. Because as far as I know, a bunch of the specials don't even have fan subs...
Old 2021-04-12, 09:01   Link #129
isamu99

If we start getting 4K Bluray official English releases of DYRL, Plus Frontier and 7 out of this deal, then it would have been worth waiting all this time.

Hell, I'd even buy an official Bluray of Robotech, which is long over due!
isamu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-12, 16:52   Link #130
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Mates, if we ever get official merchandise outside of the very expensive stuff out of Japan - I mean, who am I kidding, they're still gonna be expensive, but what the hey - I am gonna do a little happy dance. Gonna wait and see, tho.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-12, 18:14   Link #131
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

DYRL finally getting an actual license? That would be miracle-level.
Old 2021-04-14, 14:08   Link #132
HirouKeimou

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Mates, if we ever get official merchandise outside of the very expensive stuff out of Japan - I mean, who am I kidding, they're still gonna be expensive, but what the hey - I am gonna do a little happy dance. Gonna wait and see, tho.
Discussing prices, I don't know what HG will do. I never bothered to buy any of their releases. However, as long as they're not like Aniplex and Funimation (chopping a series into more than one part and charging large amounts for each piece - this is especially true for freaking Aniplex) then it'll likely be fine.

(That being said, I imagine I'll never own even season 1 of Sword Art Online on Blu-ray because Aniplex still decides it's over $100 even though it's from freaking 2012.)

I'll pray HG isn't gonna be as money hungry on releases as those two companies...

Last edited by HirouKeimou; 2021-04-14 at 14:09. Reason: added link to my tangent for reference
Old 2021-04-22, 12:28   Link #133
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

And as of today, we've got the first Macross anime to be released officially outside of Japan since the AnimEigo release of the '82 Macross TV series, twenty years ago!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWkKdJ-OVyI
Old 2021-04-22, 23:58   Link #134
Random14

Wow, after all these decades an official stream of Flashback 2012. Happy to see more activity after that announcement. Hopefully that's a good sign for Frontier eventually.

Too bad it sounds like getting DYRL will be more complicated (something legal related due to the pre-1987 and post-1987 Macross works, with Flashback coming out in 1987).
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-23, 00:26   Link #135
magnuskn

Yeah, fingers crossed for Frontier.
Old 2021-04-23, 14:59   Link #136
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Yeah, fingers crossed for Frontier.
Enh, either way, we know you won't buy it.
Old 2021-04-23, 15:10   Link #137
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

If we can get a legitimate release of Macross 7 I might die.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-23, 16:28   Link #138
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Instead of looking back at the previous shows, I'm really looking forward to the future Macross projects (other than Delta) now that we will have an easier access to it. Maybe they will upload their newest episodes via their own YT channel like Gundam & other franchises' like Zenonzard, Cardfight Vanguard etc.

Still, I'd like to see the reaction of more older SDF fans towards newer Macross entries like Frontier & Delta which are more idol-heavy .
Old 2021-04-23, 17:21   Link #139
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Enh, either way, we know you won't buy it.
Still not able to let it go? Sad, after all these years.

Of course I'll buy a legitimate release of Frontier TV with subs. I've always said so.
Old 2021-04-23, 17:48   Link #140
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Instead of looking back at the previous shows, I'm really looking forward to the future Macross projects (other than Delta) now that we will have an easier access to it.
Unless they've been working on something behind the scenes (waiting for things to shake out with Harmony Gold) its going to be a while. Although I guess Satelight hasn't been up to that all that much since Symphogears ended so... they're free if nothing else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Of course I'll buy a legitimate release of Frontier TV with subs. I've always said so.
Even at Aniplex prices?

I didn't see anyone link the announcement regarding Flashback 2012, but near term I'd imagine they're more focused on streaming (including music) and merch or toys.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote